Do you think the Bruins will trade Thomas in the off season?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

Re: Do you think the Bruins will trade Thomas in the off season?

I guess the questions are these: Did you like winning the Stanley Cup? Would you like to go back and have a good shot at doing it again?

The Bruins will be among a handful of teams that have legit shots to win it all next year, but it's not like they're a dominating force who steamrolled the competition in this past postseason. While they were the best team, the difference between them and some of their opponents was at times razor thin. Tim Thomas was the person far and away most responsible for the Bruins getting out of the 1st round, let alone them winning the Stanley Cup.

I like Tuukka Rask, and I think he's a very good young goaltender. But Thomas is money in the bank: a known commodity who shows no signs of slowing down or of declining skills. With so many Bruins signed for next year and the core of this very good team returning, I don't see why they'd trade the player who every night gives you a chance to win and put in a guy who does have talent, but has yet to show that kind of long-term ability to do what Thomas has proven.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Do you really think the Bruins are going to raise the banner next year and get their rings on opening night and Tim Thomas will not be in a Bruins uniform?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hanrahan1. Show Hanrahan1's posts

Well, if the Bs want a second straight cup then they'll actually need to indulge Thomas a bit, not trade him. Thomas is not an expendable. He is the golden goose. And PC knows this. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrr. Show NeelyOrr's posts

WHY?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4everbruins. Show 4everbruins's posts

Agree with Kennedy & Nite.........Thomas has far too much upside (read another potential Cup run left in him). And it's not like the Bruins don't have enough depth up front & on D. Chemistry is a big factor too........I don't see that changing....do you?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

nice way to treat the Conn Smythe winner who just put up numbers off the charts....

this cup's just an appetizer, i'm hungry for more and Double T gives us the best chance....

Tuukka ain't going anywhere either....

Khudonin's still unproven....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

In Response to Re: Do you think the Bruins will trade Thomas in the off season?:
    Do you really think the Bruins are going to raise the banner next year and get their rings on opening night and Tim Thomas will not be in a Bruins uniform?
    Posted by kelvana33
    great point. bruins finally great vibes and a destination for elite free agents and a strong candidate for major nationally televised games and attention all of next year. hey lets tamper with that by trading the one guy everyone in the sports world now knows. the guy who will be winning multiple espy awards and so forth. he's the FACE of the franchise. that means VALUE. you trade thomas and the value of the team plummets. the hockey guys will have a fistfight with the accountants before that  happens and the number guys will WIN! this would be like the pats trading brady after 2001 and going back to a bledsoe. just imagine and stop laughing at how dumb that is then you know why this thread was unnecessary!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

love the various spellings of the third goalie

"khudo" is fine.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

In Response to Re: Do you think the Bruins will trade Thomas in the off season?:
    In Response to Re: Do you think the Bruins will trade Thomas in the off season? : atta boy! Add that he's the only goaltender not have been pulled in this playoffs. Right now he's a folk hero, does the Bruins organization want another Bobby Orr or Phil Esposito controversy?
    Posted by BsLegion

Add to that he's going to named the cover for EA Sports NHL 12! The guy is the Boston Bruins new Poster Boy! He's going no where in this off season. He's going no where during the season. It's not going to happen. You NEVER dethrone a KING when he's doing his job.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Last summer I was predicting a TT trade with 14Mil left on the contract but with only 8Mil left for two years Thomas is a steal at that money. During the fall of 2012 Thomas will get a two year extension then retire a Bruin.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Let me create a scene for you...

Tim Thomas goes upstairs at the Thomas Estate and comes on this web site...Mrs. Thomas hears a huge thump, runs upstairs in a hurry only to find her husband on the floor with his chair tipped upside down...She shakes Tim and after a couple of minutes he finally comes to:

MrsT: Timmy what happened? Did you fall back in your chair!!??
    TT: I must of, wow everything is foggy,
    MrsT: Whats going on, what caused this??
    TT: I was reading some online post from the Bruins Forum in the globe:
    MrsT: What did it say??
    TT: Look for yourself!!!
    MrsT: Holy Conne Smythe Batman!!! We've gone from team to team, traveled half way across the world with the kids, you have a vezina, another one coming, A conne smythe and a stanley cup and a mere hours later some idiotic moron starts a thread about trading you!!!!!
    TT: Yeah, a real kick in the gut, huh honey??
    MrsT: These are bruins fans???
    TT: It gets worse honey, one guy who stated he would do this actually rides with the King.
    MrsT; Are all Bruins fans like this??
    TT: No, well Lucaoo, who i think is really Bobby Lou...
    MrsT: well you showed him!!!
    TT; Honey, no matter what i do, it well never be enough for them..
    MrsT; Wait a minute, look at these posts from kelvana33,BigVig and LoyalBlackNGold, they love you!!!
    TT: Unbeleivable, hey are the cookies ready yet?
    MrsT: They sure Timmy, they sure are.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

pc is too smart to trade the best player on the planet.
    Posted by goodnewsbears

Goodnews, I'm not saying it's a good idea but the Oilers still managed to do well after trading Gretzky. The precedent has been set.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

I would have supported this idea last summer, given the economics of the team.  The economics are much better heading into next year, and his level of play is off the charts.  My conclusion is that it would not be worth a downgrade at goalie to free up cap space or upgrade another position.

In other words...no way PC even considers this.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

I havent read all the posts, I dont need to.  I see a LOT of people I have on ignore responding, and some smart posters too.

Thomas will NOT be traded.  Not for Ovechkin,  not for Crosby, not for ANYONE!  Its that simple.  He is this teams best player and MVP.  PERIOD!  You CAN NOT trade him.  He retires here, plain and simple, unless for some strange reason he starts to decline, etc., and they are forced to move him.

You have NO ONE who can replace him back there.  Does anyone here HONESTLY think Rask could have gotten them this far!?!?!

Rask goes, simple as that.  If he is as good as they say he is, he goes with a draft pick (maybe our #1) for some HIGH talent.  Simple as that.  Backups are a dime a dozen.  TRUE #1 goalies are few and far between in this league today.  Goal tending alone can win the cup, not offense.  I dont care if you score more than anyone else (Washington, Philly, Vancouver, etc.), it comes down to the man STOPPING pucks.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

I havent read all the posts, I dont need to.  I see a LOT of people I have on ignore responding, and some smart posters too. Thomas will NOT be traded.  Not for Ovechkin,  not for Crosby, not for ANYONE!  Its that simple.  He is this teams best player and MVP.  PERIOD!  You CAN NOT trade him.  He retires here, plain and simple, unless for some strange reason he starts to decline, etc., and they are forced to move him. You have NO ONE who can replace him back there.  Does anyone here HONESTLY think Rask could have gotten them this far!?!?! Rask goes, simple as that.  If he is as good as they say he is, he goes with a draft pick (maybe our #1) for some HIGH talent.  Simple as that.  Backups are a dime a dozen.  TRUE #1 goalies are few and far between in this league today.  Goal tending alone can win the cup, not offense.  I dont care if you score more than anyone else (Washington, Philly, Vancouver, etc.), it comes down to the man STOPPING pucks.
    Posted by bigvig

Bigvig, I don't see TT or Rask leaving anytime soon. That said, I expect Rask to be in Boston long after TT is retired.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In Response to Re: Do you think the Bruins will trade Thomas in the off season? : Bigvig, I don't see TT or Rask leaving anytime soon. That said, I expect Rask to be in Boston long after TT is retired.
    Posted by dezaruchi

I agree with that, I think you see Timmy play about 55 games next year with Rask picking up the rest...6.5 million for those 2 isnt a bad deal at all.Eventually Rask takes the job, but you never know...13 months ago we would have never said the B's would win the Cup and Timmy would be the Conn  Smythe..remember what it felt like 13 months ago??

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

In Response to Re: Do you think the Bruins will trade Thomas in the off season? : I agree with that, I think you see Timmy play about 55 games next year with Rask picking up the rest...6.5 million for those 2 isnt a bad deal at all.Eventually Rask takes the job, but you never know...13 months ago we would have never said the B's would win the Cup and Timmy would be the Conn  Smythe..remember what it felt like 13 months ago??
    Posted by kelvana33

AHEM!!! Laughing

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

In Response to Re: Do you think the Bruins will trade Thomas in the off season? : Goodnews, I'm not saying it's a good idea but the Oilers still managed to do well after trading Gretzky. The precedent has been set.
    Posted by dezaruchi

Very True Dez; but this Bruin team isn't that Oilers team. The Oil still had what; 5 other HOFer's on their roster.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from DallasSmith. Show DallasSmith's posts

I've come full circle on this one.  TT is a Bruin as long as he wants to be. If Rask isn't interested in backing up again and I don't think he will be, he'll be the one shopped around the league.  A Rask trade for a player and a prospect should do it but I would be sure to either get a goalie prospect in return or use one of our higher picks to select a goalie.
    Posted by misterpaulo

Rask certianly didn't prove this year that he was capable of being a no.1 ,although he did turn his game around about 3/4 of the way through.Rask is in a perfect position with the B's.Thomas isn't getting any younger so the B's will want to groom a replacement.I would like to see Thomas and Rask split the duties next year and go with the hot hand in the playoffs.Obviously if one falters in the regular season [not likely to be TT] then the other will play more .

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsfan4778. Show bruinsfan4778's posts

Goaltenders need lots of work...a 60/40 split is not the way to go...you have a no 1 guy (TT)..and a back up..Rask. give TT all he can handle and ride him till he falters. lots of time for Rask.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from LUCICmilan17. Show LUCICmilan17's posts

I was hoping he would be traded last offseson man I am a glad that didn't happen. I don't care what the bruins could get in return YOU DON'T TRADE YOUR CON SMYTH, VEZNIA WINNER, AND STANLEY CUP WINNING GOALIE!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsCountry. Show BruinsCountry's posts

In Response to Do you think the Bruins will trade Thomas in the off season?:
    Hey everyone Just wanted to get your opinion on this. Now that Thomas has had such a great season with the Best Save Percentage, Conn Smythe winner, Stanley Cup winner and likely Vezina Winner, do you think the Bruins would do the unthinkable and actually Trade Thomas in the off season to free up cap space and perhaps go after a big name forward?  I hope they do not trade him, but something tells me that it might happen.
    Posted by Bruinsfanforever

Good idea.  In fact, brilliant...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

"Mmm, cookies.... Great Scott!  Honey, this kelvana guy thinks Linda Cohn is hot!!!  I'm going to need more cookies!"

General principle - anyone can be traded.  Anyone.  So in the abstract you have to look at it and say "for the right offer, then yes, I could see them trading TT".

To be clear, this is different than "shopping" TT and it's different than saying they should trade him for accounting purposes.  Fans love accounting.  It's unaccountable, really.  If I had a dollar for every post I've seen where people are talking about moves teams "should" or "need to" make because of the cap or the economics, I'd have enough cash to leverage a buy-out of Jacobs.  The other side of the accounting bit is the situation with Rask and Who? Dobin.  Why not trade the most expensive of the three goaltenders and use the money elsewhere?  Cap space doesn't score goals.  It doesn't make saves.  It doesn't facewash Sedins.  Get the right players, then make the money work.  You can't do it the other way.

Back to the principle.  Who is equivalent value for the Vezina and Conn Smythe winner?  What offer puts you in better position to defend your championship?  Do the Bruins need more scoring?  Do they need that media favorite "PMD" (there's a vagisil for that).  Hey, every chucklehead loves more scoring, but didn't the Bruins just prove that they can win with this lineup that scores with guts, hard work, and enough talent to pick some corners when needed? Ask yourself this question: if the Bruins had traded Thomas for Crosby (healthy Sid) at the deadline, and gone into the playoffs with Rask and Khudos, do they still win this Cup?  I really don't think so.

And at the risk of sounding like one of the Kessellistas, you can't trade the cornerstone of a Cup run for draft picks that may or may not ever pan out - even if the exact position is known and you're getting another 2 overall.  Right now, I don't think there's an offer that improves the Bruins' chances of repeating.  There may be some offers that don't damage the Bruins's chances of repeating, but they don't offer any other benefits than change for change's sake.  So no.  Thomas ain't going anywhere.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tremha. Show tremha's posts

Championship teams that dont make some moves genreally have dramatic and long falls from the top.

TT's value will never be higher.  he is 37.  If a GREAT deal is there, you need to look real hard at it.

Roster changes - Reechi gone - and with Horton back that leaves no room for changes.  I would let Ryder go and look to bring in Caron or someone ready to make the step.  The core of the team is young and ready to keep growing.

what to do with Kaberle?

Sections
Shortcuts