Does anyone even know what a Prince of Wales Trophy is?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

Does anyone even know what a Prince of Wales Trophy is?

If you could pick one NHL trophy to rename this would be it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mamico3308. Show mamico3308's posts

Re: Does anyone even know what a Prince of Wales Trophy is?

No way, I still would love it if they went back to the old Wales & Campbell Conferences.  But anyways, the actual Prince of Wales sponsored the trophy, hence the name.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_of_Wales_Trophy

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

While I tip my hat to Prince Edward for dusting off his wallet to buy the trophy, the name of the trophy could better reflect something, or someone in the NHL hockey history, that would be more identifiable to hockey fans in the US of A or the Francaphone population.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

In Response to Re: Does anyone even know what a Prince of Wales Trophy is?:
    [QUOTE]While I tip my hat to Prince Edward for dusting off his wallet to buy the trophy, the name of the trophy could better reflect something, or someone in the NHL hockey history, that would be more identifiable to hockey fans in the US of A or the Francaphone population.
    Posted by Stuke50[/QUOTE]

Well, if we are going down that road, what do you want the new name of the Stanley Cup to be?  Same circumstances. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

A bunch of the major trophy's in hockey have some sort of connection with the royal family - Stanley Cup, Prince of Wales Trophy, Clarkson Cup, Allan Cup. It's just another facet to the history of the game. The sport was born in part of the British Empire (Canada) so what's wrong or surprising about that being part of the game?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

Yup....Long  history  in English Canada. A Francaphone in Quebec or an American in the States have no idea who the names are for. And I would not want to ask too many Canadian kids who Lord Stanley was or Prince Edward was ...My point....Making the trophies name mean something to the new, young NHL fans, not just the older, history educated fan, in English Canada.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

The Queen is the Queen of Canada, not just English Canada. There was this thing called the Battle of the Plains of Abraham. The British won. The French lost. It was 252 years ago. Get over it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

[QUOTE]Yup....Long  history  in English Canada. A Francaphone in Quebec or an American in the States have no idea who the names are for. And I would not want to ask too many Canadian kids who Lord Stanley was or Prince Edward was ...My point....Making the trophies name mean something to the new, young NHL fans, not just the older, history educated fan, in English Canada.

Screw history and replace it with something new and trendy? Maybe the new young fans should learn the history of the game instead. That might require something like reading which apparently is a lost art.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Prince of Wales Conference is what the East was, and it's a great historic name. Just like the Campbell Conference....Wales v. Campbell All-Star games...It's something you don't mess with. Just like the fact no one wants to touch these things anymore. I think Bourque picked it up in 1990 and you know how that ended up...ugh.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

[QUOTE]Yup....Long  history  in English Canada. A Francaphone in Quebec or an American in the States have no idea who the names are for. And I would not want to ask too many Canadian kids who Lord Stanley was or Prince Edward was ...My point....Making the trophies name mean something to the new, young NHL fans, not just the older, history educated fan, in English Canada.

Actually Stuke, more Canadian kids know who Lord Stanley was becasue of the Cup.  It ties us back to our british roots.  We don't really want to loose that, it's part of us. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Does anyone even know what a Prince of Wales Trophy is? : Actually Stuke, more Canadian kids know who Lord Stanley was becasue of the Cup.  It ties us back to our british roots.  We don't really want to loose that, it's part of us. 
    Posted by scooter244[/QUOTE]

Good point...Good way for a youngster to ask who the frig was Stanley and maybe even Prince of Wales...and Red...chill out !  I don't need your pusedo history rant. Why all the anger ? I just asked a lite question. Didn't mean to offend you.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Does anyone even know what a Prince of Wales Trophy is?:
    [QUOTE]If you could pick one NHL trophy to rename this would be it.

Lady Byng.  There is no need for a trophy in hockey to be named after a woman.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Does anyone even know what a Prince of Wales Trophy is? : Lady Byng.  There is no need for a trophy in hockey to be named after a woman.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

I'll actually agree with you, to an extent, on this one. It should be the Lord Byng, the Governor General who donated it (yes another GG/British Royals tophy) but he asked that it be named for his wife, who was an avid hockey fan. She was the person who actually selected the winner in the award's early days. And Stuke, relax.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

Reference to history is what makes sports great, and what makes the Cup and the League's trophies so important.  The Stanley Cup is raised by the captain of the winning team, always has been, always should be.

Think about it the other way -- if we went by "current, modern trends", the Trophies names would be sold as corporate naming rights.  Who would want to win the "Gillette Trophy", or the "Exxon Cup"?

Does anyone REALLY think that the new names for all our stadia and arenas are better than the old "Montreal Forum" or "Boston Garden"?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

How about the "Commissioner"s Cup"? Would that make it more exciting to win?
    Maybe they could put a Bettman, bobblehead doll on the top.
    Really STUKE? The bruins finally WIN SOMETHING, and you're going to complain about the name of the tophy?
    WOW!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Does anyone even know what a Prince of Wales Trophy is? : Lady Byng.  There is no need for a trophy in hockey to be named after a woman.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

While I agree with this sentiment, if I could re-name a trophy I'd rename the Norris the Bobby Orr Trophy.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Does anyone even know what a Prince of Wales Trophy is? : While I agree with this sentiment, if I could re-name a trophy I'd rename the Norris the Bobby Orr Trophy.
    Posted by SoxFanInIL[/QUOTE]

I'd rather they just make a new trophy for the leading scorer among D, and call it the Robert Gordon Orr Trophy, sort of like how they brought in a new trophy for the top goal scorer and called it the Richard.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Does anyone even know what a Prince of Wales Trophy is? : I'd rather they just make a new trophy for the leading scorer among D, and call it the Robert Gordon Orr Trophy, sort of like how they brought in a new trophy for the top goal scorer and called it the Richard.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

I could live with that, although I'd want it to reflect the defensive side more... it's a defenseman's trophy, so I would say Orr Trophy (formerly Norris) for "Best Defenseman" and Norris Trophy for "Outstanding Defensive Defenseman."

Kinda gives special props to the guy that does what defensemen are supposed to do.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

Hey ! When I made this post, I made it after reading all the good things said about the Bruins win into the Cup final. I never meant to be serious about this. It was supposed to be lite comment. Nothing more....Sorry to have offended any of you.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Does anyone even know what a Prince of Wales Trophy is? : I'd rather they just make a new trophy for the leading scorer among D, and call it the Robert Gordon Orr Trophy, sort of like how they brought in a new trophy for the top goal scorer and called it the Richard.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

There are enough trophies already.  The Richard Trophy isn't as bad as the truly fake awards like the Plus/Minus Award, Roger Crozier Award and the Mark Messier Award, but it's still pointless.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from wolfwood. Show wolfwood's posts

[QUOTE]No way, I still would love it if they went back to the old Wales & Campbell Conferences.  But anyways, the actual Prince of Wales sponsored the trophy, hence the name.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_of_Wales_Trophy
    Posted by mamico3308[/QUOTE]
    hell ya   bettman and his try to main stream the sports  changed every thing   threy should go back to the whales and campell confreance and bring back the norris division as well :)

Sections
Shortcuts