Does anyone remember neely getting Benched?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheShepherd. Show TheShepherd's posts

Does anyone remember neely getting Benched?

If my memory is correct. Kasper was the coach.
     or was it Rick Bowness?
    He dressed Neely and stevens, i think, and they both sat on the bench for the entire game!!

I was only 11 or so at the time, only kinda remember it. But did that have a positive spin or a negative spin on the team that year?

Do you guys remember a few weeks ago, lindy ruff giving Rivet a seat on the bench and healhty scratching him for ike 3 or 4 straight games?

How come no one has brought up the idea, that if this slump keeps going, some one big takes a seat?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Re: Does anyone remember neely getting Benched?

That was none other than Steve Kasper.  Neely had a bad knee and being cooped up on the Leafs visiting bench hurt his knee. I wanted Kasper out asap !

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from gogojuicer. Show gogojuicer's posts

I'm not sure any of the bigs deserves to sit really. Maybe Ryder, Wheels or Horton.
    But Ryder and Wheels are playing decent, with respectable numbers,plus management does't want to lower their trading value. As for Horton, if half of his posts - crossbars would go in, he'd be in good shape.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

The opportunity to sit Ryder was last year.  Interesting that CJ has chosen use this lever to "send a message" to the only 18 year-old kid on the team.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheShepherd. Show TheShepherd's posts

In Response to Re: Does anyone remember neely getting Benched?:
    [QUOTE]The opportunity to sit Ryder was last year.  Interesting that CJ has chosen use this lever to "send a message" to the only 18 year-old kid on the team.
    Posted by Crowls2424[/QUOTE]

wow. good call.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]The opportunity to sit Ryder was last year.  Interesting that CJ has chosen use this lever to "send a message" to the only 18 year-old kid on the team.

Was it to send Seguin a message, or was it to give him a rest and a different perspective?

I think it was the latter.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheShepherd. Show TheShepherd's posts

Cam neely didnt think the latter

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Does anyone remember neely getting Benched? : Was it to send Seguin a message, or was it to give him a rest and a different perspective? I think it was the latter.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

If CJ was thrilled with Seguin's play do you think he would have been given the night off against a divisional rival? 

By all accounts, it sounds like the coaching staff handled it well, and put the right spin on it, making Seguin understand the development opportunity.  Point is, CJ has not used this approach when managing the veterans.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheShepherd. Show TheShepherd's posts

rookies get benched to learn.

Veterans get benched to send a message.

seguin is the only rookie forward.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheShepherd. Show TheShepherd's posts

what i mean is. i only vaguely remember how mad people were when neely was benched... What would the reaction be if claude did that tonight, with chara, or bergeron?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RascalHoudi. Show RascalHoudi's posts

[QUOTE]what i mean is. i only vaguely remember how mad people were when neely was benched... What would the reaction be if claude did that tonight, with chara, or bergeron?
    Posted by TheShepherd[/QUOTE]

I think that many would be pleased and surprised if Claude benched a veteran or two.  There isn't anybody on today's roster whose benching would garner the kind of outrage that followed Neely's benching.  If I recall, it wasn't very long after that Kasper was shown the door.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jman4. Show jman4's posts

Neely and Stevens benched at MLG in Toronto, I remenber it well. Was I pissed at Kasper.

Go B's

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Does anyone remember neely getting Benched? : If CJ was thrilled with Seguin's play do you think he would have been given the night off against a divisional rival?  By all accounts, it sounds like the coaching staff handled it well, and put the right spin on it, making Seguin understand the development opportunity.  Point is, CJ has not used this approach when managing the veterans.

I completely agree, Crowls.  Many players should have been benched so far.  Wheeler, Ryder, THORNTON should have all been in the pressbox at some point this season.

In this case, it's tough to say it was punishment for Seguin.  Sometimes rookies need a different view; they need to be reigned in a bit.  I don't think this was a "you're screwing up so go to the press box as punishment" move as much as it was "you're doing some things wrong, so go to the pressbox and watch how it's done right."

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheShepherd. Show TheShepherd's posts

"THORNTON should have all been in the pressbox at some point this season."

your tellin me.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TiPit. Show TiPit's posts

my memory is bad, I thought Neely was benched by Bowness in Quebec...

anyway, I completely disagree with benching Seguin; the kid needs to play and, more as the season goes.  Remember Big joe development was slow because Pat Burns would not play him.  Seguin can score goal in the shootout, can Paille...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Would the Bruins have won vs. Buffalo with Seguin in the line up?
    Of course that's impossible to say for certain.
    Was the line up better with Paille in it rather than Seguin?
    No.  It wasn't.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

I know NAS is not going to respond to me but I am going to say this anyways. It is tough to sit Thornton. He is the enforcer on this time. He is a 4th liner, he shouldn't be playing as much as he is. If he didn't have as much ice time he wouldn't of made some of the mistakes he made in the last couple games. Up until then he has been fine. You can't just bring up McGratten and send him down. And no way CJ plays McGrats over Paille if Thorty sits.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

Neely got benched by Kasper against the Maple Leafs. Dave Reid got 2 goals & an assist that game in a 4-4 tie. i spoke to Reid about this a couple months ago on Satellite radio & he said the whole team was shocked. Nobody would say a word to Cam & he was scared to death because it he who replaced Neely on his line. Kevin Stevens got benched that night too! As far as Kasper getting the axe shortly after? I found that really strange because it was "The Drunk" Harry Sinden who approved of the benching on the plane flying to Toronto! Kasper was the still coaching in 97 though wasn't he? I thought it was him behind the bench when the B's 29 straight yrs in the play-offs ended & got us Joe Thornton. I still remember a very emotional Cam Neely saying how he couldn't believe he was taking the fall for a team that was playing lousy!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nash99. Show nash99's posts

People love to blab about Neely back in the day......he was a goal scorer but he floated alot. He wanted people to get him the puck. Take a look at the old games. He didn't do alot in his own end. Clod would have a problem with Neely's game. Clod doesn't like the gifted player. He didn't like using Kessel. When Wheeler first got here he had a ton of skill. Clod would just knock him for overhandling the puck. You will never win a Cup with Clod. He wants to keep it simple. Great players won't stay here long. I bet Seguin is gone within five years. Clod is alot like Pat Burns but Burns walked into a sweet setup in N.J. an experienced Cup team and he didn't screw it up. I don't see Burns as all that great. He always lost to the Bruins in the playoffs. No Montreal team did that until Burns showed up.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

I knew there was a reason I had you on ignore!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheShepherd. Show TheShepherd's posts

[QUOTE]I knew there was a reason I had you on ignore!
    Posted by nitemare-38[/QUOTE]

HAHAHA Classic

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

Sorry Nash, but Nitemare summed it up.
    I had you on ignore for quite a while, and after your last post, your going right back on it.
    Some people just can't help being a tool.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Does anyone remember neely getting Benched? : Was it to send Seguin a message, or was it to give him a rest and a different perspective? I think it was the latter.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

Cj does not know the meaning of the word so it had to be something else.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

[QUOTE]Would the Bruins have won vs. Buffalo with Seguin in the line up? Of course that's impossible to say for certain. Was the line up better with Paille in it rather than Seguin? No.  It wasn't.
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

Would have been better with both and a minus of Thorn!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsCountry. Show BruinsCountry's posts

[QUOTE]People love to blab about Neely back in the day......he was a goal scorer but he floated alot. He wanted people to get him the puck. Take a look at the old games. He didn't do alot in his own end. Clod would have a problem with Neely's game. Clod doesn't like the gifted player. He didn't like using Kessel. When Wheeler first got here he had a ton of skill. Clod would just knock him for overhandling the puck. You will never win a Cup with Clod. He wants to keep it simple. Great players won't stay here long. I bet Seguin is gone within five years. Clod is alot like Pat Burns but Burns walked into a sweet setup in N.J. an experienced Cup team and he didn't screw it up. I don't see Burns as all that great. He always lost to the Bruins in the playoffs. No Montreal team did that until Burns showed up.  
    Posted by nash99[/QUOTE]

Nash, you're SO full of bovine excrement.  With statements like the above, you're sound like an escapee from Jack Nicholson's Cuckoo's Nest and have almost zero cred because of it.

Sections
Shortcuts