Does Fehr know something we don't...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucdufour. Show lucdufour's posts

Does Fehr know something we don't...

I don't like Fehr and side with the owners 100%. 

With that said,  I'm beginning to think that Fehr and the players know something that we don't about the (true reality of the) owners situation and how much they(the owners) will lose if they don't play this season.  He must also be going to this with a good idea that it is a only a bonus if it is resolved this season AND how much they(the players) can still get out of this if they wait until 2013-14.  He must be selling this to the players with numbers that we are not necesarily privy to. 

I just find it unusual for some players coming out saying that they back-up Fehr 100% unless they were told something that we don't know.  I think there is perhaps more to this picture other than players simply toeing the "company line" and showing solidarity.   I don't believe the players can be, as a whole, this stupid unless there was more to it that meets the eye. 

Thoughts---(other than the players are this stupid)?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

Re: Does Fehr know something we don't...

They are essential 1 or 2 years apart on a deal.

Bettman said 211 million was their best offer.  Daly said 5 year contracts is the hill they will die on.

The owners gave an additional $100 million to that $211 million and I think Fehr is betting on 6 or 7 years contracts is substantialy easier to capitulate on than revenue.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I think Fehr knows alot of stuff we don't. He's a pretty smart cat, absolute great hire if your a union that willing to stnd up for what you beleive in..He is out to beat the NHL owners, like he did MLB, just another notch on what I'd assume is a pretty impressive resume. Unless the players remove him, which since they practically begged him to take this one from I understand, seems unlikely, he will win.

Now, if your a player like Martin Brodeur or Teemu Selanne, is Donald Fehr helping you? Not really, you just want to play..But if your a John Tavares, or a even a 15 year old kid who might spend 3 years in the NHL on the fourth line in the future, your going to make more money then you ever dreamed of, because of Donald Fehr.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think Fehr knows alot of stuff we don't. He's a pretty smart cat, absolute great hire if your a union that willing to stnd up for what you beleive in..He is out to beat the NHL owners, like he did MLB, just another notch on what I'd assume is a pretty impressive resume. Unless the players remove him, which since they practically begged him to take this one from I understand, seems unlikely, he will win.

Now, if your a player like Martin Brodeur or Teemu Selanne, is Donald Fehr helping you? Not really, you just want to play..But if your a John Tavares, or a even a 15 year old kid who might spend 3 years in the NHL on the fourth line in the future, your going to make more money then you ever dreamed of, because of Donald Fehr.

[/QUOTE]

Fehr is tactical genius, yet he may have given the death knell to the NHL season with the recent demands.  If I was an owner I would call his bluff, he may be a short candidate as NHLPA chief negotiator.   Yet maybe he was hired for those same purposes, ha.  The players will cave soon, Betman and his tirades are just a show.  The hard fisted owners like JJ, even Snider will not budge given the closeness to an end to a season.  I am still optimistic for a NHL season.  Get it on!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Dead on Isle, Fehr will not cave, and while some players might want to and some owners might want to, this may come down to who blinks first between Jacobs and Fehr.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Fehr is a hard liner who will never capitulate, ever. He has always loved having his name in the news. By things being contentious and difficult it keeps his name constantly in it. Soon as he left as MLBPA head they quietly hammered out a 10 yr deal, that would've never occurred w/ him running the show. I'm not pro-owner or player I just despise the fact that this has happened

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Fehr did what the MLBPA wanted of him, keep the salary cap out of Major League Baseball. It worked and the average salary in baseball is over $3M. The owners weren't upset with the players on Thursday they were upset with Fehr because he has told the players to stay calm and hold their resolve. How many times now has Bettman mentioned "this or that is off the table" ?

Jacobs is losing $3M a game during this lockout, even for a billionaire, that is allot. A deal is much closer this week than it was a week ago. Still holding out hope, hopefully sooner than Febuary.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

If Jacobs had any sense of politics he would swoop in now and lead this fiasco to an end.

Then call a presser and talk about how he was the one looking out for the fans.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to bim09's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If Jacobs had any sense of politics he would swoop in now and lead this fiasco to an end.

Then call a presser and talk about how he was the one looking out for the fans.

[/QUOTE]

He could do this anytime he wants. But he has chosen not because at the end of the day, whats most important to him is the all mighty dollar. He didnt buy the Bruins ro own them today because he loves the Bruins. He loves money.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

If this is between Jacobs and Fehr, Donald may as well pack his bags and go home.

Jacobs doesn't need the money he makes from the Bruins. He needs a new CBA so he gets greater value when he sells the team...and that well come soon enough.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

In response to Wheatskins' comment:
    [QUOTE]

If this is between Jacobs and Fehr, Donald may as well pack his bags and go home.

Jacobs doesn't need the money he makes from the Bruins. He needs a new CBA so he gets greater value when he sells the team...and that well come soon enough.

[/QUOTE]

I dunno Wheats, Fehr's done a pretty good job so far.  And i'm not trying to be a wise guy by saying this, but wasn't it the owners who packed their bags and went home Thursday?

And Jacobs isn't selling the team.  Not a snowballs chance:  Original 6 team with deep history and rich tradition.  Not gonna happen.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Sandog, doesn't JJ and Delaware North have concession rights in many sports facilities in NA?  I am not sure, and yes I am being lazy.  I agree JJ does not want the continue lockout, he may just be influencial in the NHL owners though to hold onto the lockout status and force Fehr out of power.  Just speculation of course.  

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Fehr did what the MLBPA wanted of him, keep the salary cap out of Major League Baseball. It worked and the average salary in baseball is over $3M. The owners weren't upset with the players on Thursday they were upset with Fehr because he has told the players to stay calm and hold their resolve. How many times now has Bettman mentioned "this or that is off the table" ?

Jacobs is losing $3M a game during this lockout, even for a billionaire, that is allot. A deal is much closer this week than it was a week ago. Still holding out hope, hopefully sooner than Febuary.

[/QUOTE]

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Correct Isla; Delaware North has concession(s) all around NA. Petco Park for baseball is one of them, so yes JJ has vast income but not right now. He doesn't have income right now (i'm sure he has real estate investments) except for maybe 16 NFL home games (Buffalo and New England) instead of a few those games plus other NHL arenas.

Fehr also knows Madison Ave is getting restless, I'm quite sure some corporations who got lured back to the NHL and are now upset that there are no games to advertise on. The NHL is really blowing this by not countering the NHLPA.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Regarding the thread title.

Possibly, the growing amount of players who are getting a little antsy on the length of this lockout.

The reporting of solidarity and trusting of what Fehr is doing seems to me to be just a tad fictitious to what the truth probably is.

e.g. In an interview with James Duthie from TSN, he noted that he sent out a text message to twelve NHL players. Eight of them thought they should the right to vote on the last proposal ( I'm taking this as they would accept considering further negotiating to get a little more would be the alternative.)

A small sample size ? Yes. But quite possibly an indicator of how the majority feel.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Twitter is saying something totally different directly from the players.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/

Allan Walsh ‏@walsha

"The MLB Commish+owners learned the hard way they couldn't crack Fehr and the players, so they decided to work with them"

Stop trying to vilify Fehr it isn't working at all.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]

Allan Walsh ‏@walsha

"The MLB Commish+owners learned the hard way they couldn't crack Fehr and the players, so they decided to work with them"

[/QUOTE]

Of course everyone's going to tow the party line when it comes to the media. But behind the scenes ? How are they really feeling ? It was a thought coming from a bit of info and opinions by people other then you.

If you think it's villifying then it's your perogative. I say it's having more then one perspective of what might be actually happening and talking about it. 

And whether I should stop giving alternate views on the topic because it's working or not ? Thanks, but agreeing with you is not a priority for me.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]

Allan Walsh ‏@walsha

[/QUOTE]

and those owners have , had deeper pockets.   With that being said when Fehr gets hired , I think he has a clause or two in his contract where he has final say, veto powers and/or will not conduct a vote with the PA.  If he does have some of these clauses and power over..... let's just say it's not his money he's playing with.  He'll get paid.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Here's my alternative view from the players mouths..

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/8726727/donald-fehr-maintains-nhl-players-were-close-deal

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/david-backes-nhl-lockout-talks-breaking-off-kick-155727016--nhl.html

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/ryan-miller-denies-jacobs-tirade-players-talk-nhl-213337268--nhl.html

The players can take a vote on the owners proposed CBA anytime they want, at any point. The NHLPA does not need Fehr to roll call a vote.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to BsLegion's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Allan Walsh ‏@walsha

[/QUOTE]

and those owners have , had deeper pockets.   With that being said when Fehr gets hired , I think he has a clause or two in his contract where he has final say, veto powers and/or will not conduct a vote with the PA.  If he does have some of these clauses and power over..... let's just say it's not his money he's playing with.  He'll get paid.

[/QUOTE]

I was wondering this as well, I think your right. .From what I've read the NHLPA pretty much begged him to take the job, so I'm sure he had some clauses in that deal..They hired him to get the best deal possible..And he will, if it costs 50 games or a season, he will. But lets not lose sight of the fact that he offered the owners to play under the current CBA while they negotiate another one, and they chose not to...I wonder how many of the owners would like to have that one back.

People can say what they want about him, but he's darn good at what he does..I wonder if the retired NFL players ever reached out to him, especially after Upshaw passed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to BsLegion's comment:[/QUOTE] and those owners have , had deeper pockets.   With that being said when Fehr gets hired , I think he has a clause or two in his contract where he has final say, veto powers and/or will not conduct a vote with the PA.  If he does have some of these clauses and power over..... let's just say it's not his money he's playing with.  He'll get paid. [/QUOTE]

http://www.nhlpa.com/inside-nhlpa

http://origin.agilitycms.com/nhlpacom/PDF/nhlpa_constitution.pdf

http://m.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/globe-on-hockey/nhlpa-unveils-31-player-negotiating-committee/article4374654?service=mobile

"The NHLPA constitution provides that the Executive Director is chosen by and is responsible to the Executive Board membership. The players’ collective voice will represented by an Executive Director, while a series of checks and balances ensures that players maintain the right to govern themselves."

If I missed antything let me know, not afraid to admit I got the wrong information from my research. I am just convinced that Fehr has been transparent with the players is all.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]

Here's my alternative view from the players mouths..

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/8726727/donald-fehr-maintains-nhl-players-were-close-deal

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/david-backes-nhl-lockout-talks-breaking-off-kick-155727016--nhl.html

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/ryan-miller-denies-jacobs-tirade-players-talk-nhl-213337268--nhl.html

The players can take a vote on the owners proposed CBA anytime they want, at any point. The NHLPA does not need Fehr to roll call a vote.

[/QUOTE]

My alternative perspective comes from talk radio from NHL hockey personalities who are hearing more then what's in print.

Too bad, you weren't there to hear it.

It would have given you another perspective other then the "everything is peachy" quotes.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment: [/QUOTE] My alternative perspective comes from talk radio from NHL hockey personalities who are hearing more then what's in print.

Too bad, you weren't there to hear it. It would have given you another perspective other then the "everything is peachy" quotes. [/QUOTE]

If you trust them I believe you. Burnside, Puckdaddy and Lebrun are taking quotes from the players then putting them on print or the web. If the NHLPA doesn't like what Fehr is saying or doing they can roll call him out or de-certify the union.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment: [/QUOTE] My alternative perspective comes from talk radio from NHL hockey personalities who are hearing more then what's in print.

Too bad, you weren't there to hear it. It would have given you another perspective other then the "everything is peachy" quotes. [/QUOTE]

If you trust them I believe you. Burnside, Puckdaddy and Lebrun are taking quotes from the players then putting them on print or the web. If the NHLPA doesn't like what Fehr is saying or doing they can roll call him out or de-certify the union.

[/QUOTE]

There is no need for me to distrust anyone who is is credible enough to be a guest or host on the shows I listen to. They are Canada wide. Ex coach-GM Doug MacLean was one. Credible enough ?

And with regards to your last comment. Stay tuned if a season is in jeopardy of being cancelled or cancelled altogether. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

In response to bim09's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Wheatskins' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I dunno Wheats, Fehr's done a pretty good job so far.  And i'm not trying to be a wise guy by saying this, but wasn't it the owners who packed their bags and went home Thursday?

And Jacobs isn't selling the team.  Not a snowballs chance:  Original 6 team with deep history and rich tradition.  Not gonna happen.

[/QUOTE]

If by good you mean losing money for everyone but himself

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I was wondering this as well, I think your right. .From what I've read the NHLPA pretty much begged him to take the job, so I'm sure he had some clauses in that deal..They hired him to get the best deal possible..And he will, if it costs 50 games or a season, he will. But lets not lose sight of the fact that he offered the owners to play under the current CBA while they negotiate another one, and they chose not to...I wonder how many of the owners would like to have that one back.

People can say what they want about him, but he's darn good at what he does..I wonder if the retired NFL players ever reached out to him, especially after Upshaw passed.

[/QUOTE]

Of course Fehr did just like in baseball.  The lockout or a strike would have been during the season and that for sure we would have seen the playoffs.

Sections
Shortcuts