Does firing a coach in midseason bring a cup?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Does firing a coach in midseason bring a cup?

I wondered about this question as I skimmed through the multiple threads about this neverending topic regarding the Bruins coach CJ. So I thought if the Bruins can win the cup by firing CJ in midseason and have another coach behind the bench to win it all I'd be all for it. I wondered how many teams have fired their coach during the season and won the cup ? The number must be really high because of all the people on here saying that they want the Bruins to win the cup and that's the only way it ( firing CJ ) will happen.
    So I looked through a list . Ok ......Bylsma.......Robinson........and that's as far as I got knowing who else did this ( maybe someone who remembers could point out another ) . Twice in 83 years.
    After looking at this list dating back to 1927 I realized that this doesn't happen too often. 
    My conclusion : Could it happen this year ? It could, but going by past results firing the coach in midseason and then winning the cup is very rare.  

My opinion is let CJ continue through the end of the season and if they haven't achieved then yes look at getting someone else in there. The only thing that would change my opinion on firing him in during the season is if they were in danger of missing the playoffs late in the year.

The list.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Stanley_Cup_champions

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

Re: Does firing a coach in midseason bring a cup?

Your looking at the wrong data.  Try looking at the coaches employment history.  He's a coach that gets a team out of the basement, but doesn't have the chops to shred a forecheck or a below average penalty kill.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: Does firing a coach in midseason bring a cup?:
    [QUOTE]Your looking at the wrong data.  Try looking at the coaches employment history.  He's a coach that gets a team out of the basement, but doesn't have the chops to shred a forecheck or a below average penalty kill.
    Posted by bim09[/QUOTE]

Wrong data ? Try looking at the question.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

Past production is not necessarily an indicator of future performance. Look at the B's situation now and ask yourself? Does coach julien bring a cup? if the answer to that is no and the answer to your question is no then ivestigate further.

Do the bruins have the talent to win a cup, just their play is being limited by the coach? If the answer is yes Fire him. If no keep him and make offseason adjustments needed to win a cup.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]Past production is not necessarily an indicator of future performance. Look at the B's situation now and ask yourself? Does coach julien bring a cup? if the answer to that is no and the answer to your question is no then ivestigate further. Do the bruins have the talent to win a cup, just their play is being limited by the coach? If the answer is yes Fire him. If no keep him and make offseason adjustments needed to win a cup.
    Posted by I-Like-Hockey[/QUOTE]

I agree with your statement about past production is not an indicator of future performance. But in regards to the question asked on this thread past history indicate otherwise.

Two answers and two no shows with regards to the question. Anymore ?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Does firing a coach in midseason bring a cup? : I agree with your statement about past production is not an indicator of future performance. But in regards to the question asked on this thread past history indicate otherwise. Two answers and two no shows with regards to the question. Anymore ?
    Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]

Its a rhetorical question Chowdah. How can someone answer it yes or no. Does firing CJ and doing that alone bring the Bruins a cup this year No. Could the team be better off after firing him Maybe Yes? I dont know what definitive answer your looking for when there isnt one.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

The question is: Does firing equal a Cup.  You assert that other poster's reasoning for wanting to get rid of CJ is this same premiss as well.  It's not.   It's his performance.  And wanting to keep CJ around just based on the Cup to coach firing ratio is, well, kinda insain.  Stick to the OHL, kid-.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Robinson (not sure) ,  Bylsma went to the final but did not win in his first year. It's tough to say that Bylsma was the reason they won the cup, so many factors besides that at the time and maybe even today they had 2 of the top 3 players in the NHL. 

I wrote this on another thread , I'll repeat it here:

Julien does not coach the style I like  but he's been pretty good. When the Bruins went into the playoffs and beat the Sabres it opened my eyes.  While they did play Julien style hockey they were exciting.  They also did the same against the Flyers,  till Krejci got hurt and then the roof fell. 
    This is the hope I have. If Julien can bring this team healthy into the playoffs we can see some of that magic we saw in the last playoffs .
    If Julien does not make it past the 2nd round and the Bruins are not competitive in the Conference final,  then Julien will get fired over the summer before the draft.  
    This I'm willing to bet big $$$.
    Conclusion, if there were to change coach mid-season , sure they get that boost, just the way Boudreau brought that to the Caps when he got hired. What happened after that ?  Lost game7 to Philly ,  next year lost game7 to Pens and last season lost game7 to the Habs .  Most in the 1st round !!!
    I would love to hear the fans on this forum whine about with another coach.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

Last year our expectaions of the Bs when they entered the playoffs against buffalo was not very high. We were all surprised at the outcome. I have a hard time accepting the Bs lost to philly when Krecji was injured, altho it didnt help. One player doesnt make a team and this whole team from cj to the players collapased. CJ cant motivate his players in big win situations. WHY ?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

I apologize for those who thought I was looking for a yes or no answer . This was not my intention . I was looking for thoughts on why it has only happened  twice in NHL history and why it hasn't worked when teams do make a change. Throwing CJ's name in there was my way of saying to the people who think the Bruins would win the cup if Julien was fired ( and there are some ), is that it doesn't happen too often. Their comments saying all the B's needed was a coaching change to win didn't hold up to past history.

BTW bim I'm glad you're reading the OHL updates. You are the one poster I thought of when I started the thread . I wanted to inform others of what is really happening in the OHL because of fiction posts prior to the draft. I hope it's helping you and if you have any questions I'll be glad to answer them.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from screw-cindy-and-ovie. Show screw-cindy-and-ovie's posts

I think it's because most of the teams that fire coaches in the middle of the playoffs are cellar dwellers, therefore even though they play better with a new coach they don't have a good enough team to make the playoffs. Look at the Isles this year. They fire gordon. They are playing better under a new coach, but overall they are still a terrible hockey team that wont make it to the playoffs.

It happens less often that a team in the playoff picture maakes a coaching change. The two most recent are the 09-10 flyers and the 08-09 pemguins. The pens went on to win the cup. The flyers fell two wins short of a cup.

IMO even though the Bruins currently are and will be a playoff team, I don't think they are playing up to their full potential. I don't think CJ is the cach to take a team far into the playoffs. He is the type of coach that can fix a defensive disaster (dave lewis bruins) and make a cellar dwellar compete for a playoff spot, but thats as far as he goes. Every coach has a shelf life, some are just longer than others.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheShepherd. Show TheShepherd's posts

Chowda, your question wasnt difficult to understand. Its a difficult question to answer. which is where, i have no idea, how you lost some people.

My conclusion : Could it happen this year ? It could, but going by past results firing the coach in midseason and then winning the cup is very rare.

The answer maybe... look at the past winner.

Bylsma only had to coach something like 20 or so games it wastn half way thru... he just had to fine tune the team and add just alittle push. just enough. Do the bruins have crosby and malkin and staal and ummmmm hal gill? no.

Maybe julien needs to stick around until the perfect time to catch that lightning in the bottle for the final push. instead of at this time in the season where things could still blow up and have to be rebuilt with an unknown future.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]I think it's because most of the teams that fire coaches in the middle of the playoffs are cellar dwellers, therefore even though they play better with a new coach they don't have a good enough team to make the playoffs. Look at the Isles this year. They fire gordon. They are playing better under a new coach, but overall they are still a terrible hockey team that wont make it to the playoffs. It happens less often that a team in the playoff picture maakes a coaching change. The two most recent are the 09-10 flyers and the 08-09 pemguins. The pens went on to win the cup. The flyers fell two wins short of a cup. IMO even though the Bruins currently are and will be a playoff team, I don't think they are playing up to their full potential. I don't think CJ is the cach to take a team far into the playoffs. He is the type of coach that can fix a defensive disaster (dave lewis bruins) and make a cellar dwellar compete for a playoff spot, but thats as far as he goes. Every coach has a shelf life, some are just longer than others.
    Posted by screw-cindy-and-ovie[/QUOTE]

Cindy , that is the best answer that I've seen yet ( 1st paragraph). That didn't even enter my mind ( old age ) that the majority that fire their coaches are bad teams. Most teams that end up firing their coaches in midseason are not going to win the cup anyways because of being a bad team. Teams that are doing good or relatively well are reluctant to fire their coaches because of the possibility of regressing rather the improving. Good post and thanks for the thought !

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Chowdah- since only 1 of 30 teams are crowned champion, it is not surprising that a mid-season change of coach has not been met often with an eventual Cup.  It's hard enough to win it as it is.

I am not saying "change the coach" necessarily, but it seems like one of the logical options.  The conversation is constructive, though, thanks for the post.

Interesting to understand some of CJ's history, especially his unusual firing from the Devils.  Interesting comments by Lou Lam and Hradek in the article/video.  Doesn't sound too far off from what the B's are experiencing now.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2822234

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheShepherd. Show TheShepherd's posts

I dont fire CJ at all... just his supporting cast. The odds are not in thire favor.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]Chowda, your question wasnt difficult to understand. Its a difficult question to answer. which is where, i have no idea, how you lost some people. My conclusion : Could it happen this year ? It could, but going by past results firing the coach in midseason and then winning the cup is very rare . The answer maybe... look at the past winner. Bylsma only had to coach something like 20 or so games it wastn half way thru... he just had to fine tune the team and add just alittle push. just enough. Do the bruins have crosby and malkin and staal and ummmmm hal gill? no. Maybe julien needs to stick around until the perfect time to catch that lightning in the bottle for the final push. instead of at this time in the season where things could still blow and have to be rebuilt with an unknown future.
    Posted by TheShepherd[/QUOTE]

Ya I realize that it's a difficult question to answer. SCAO answered it appropriately while others answered with their 'why julien should be fired now' comments. 

Your explanation of why Bylsma won is also a good one and agreed on .

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from shaunk. Show shaunk's posts

I agree with Cindy also.  As a fan, one must ask themselves only one question.  Do you think CJ is the coach to bring the B's to the Stanley Cup?  Personally, I don't think so.  For the playoff contending teams that have fired their coach mid-season, it is not necessarily the coach that is the issue.  Yes, things have gone stale for the coach.  But I think the action itself is probably the best wake-up call and agent of focus for a hockey team that has stanley cup potential and is not playing up to it.  Hockey players are proud guys and it is a reflection on them if a coach gets fired on their watch.  I think something like that, on a talented team, gets the players more focused.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]Chowda, your question wasnt difficult to understand. Posted by TheShepherd[/QUOTE]

You need to read it with a touch of sarcasm. I like.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Does firing a coach in midseason bring a cup? : You need to read it with a touch of sarcasm. I like.
    Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE]

Sarcasm ? Who me ? LOL

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Does firing a coach in midseason bring a cup? : Sarcasm ? Who me ? LOL
    Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]

yeah !  and one day you will owe me a beer.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

The question I ask myself is will the Bruins win the Stanley Cup with Julien as coach?  The answer is only if PC can build a perfect team with an abundance of talent.  Then I ask myself have a seen teams with less talent than the current Bruins won the Cup and I can think of several with the most recent being Carolina.  So if I don't think Julien can win the cup with the current roster that should be capable of winning it, then it is worth the risk of trying a different coach.  It could be a mistake or it could be a great move but you will never succeed unless you try to succeed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigbadbruinsfan. Show bigbadbruinsfan's posts

I agree with 09, you're asking the wrong question.  Of course it doesnt definately give us the cup like pit and bylsma, if anyone could answer that they would be named scotty bowman.

Firing the coach does guarantee that guys will lose their comfort level and actually show up to play again, and we won't go through the same exact thing we went through last year, or even since January 09. 

If we keep him it does however guarantee something, we will make the playoffs as a low seed, the team will actually put in effort in the playoffs, maybe win a round, then get bounced.  Mediocore for a team with the best goaltending in the NHL, and according to so many, a team loaded with talent.

Bim09's first post says it all. 

Just one quick addition, I wouldn't want to play in Claude's mucker system either if I actually had some talent.  Breakout = retreat, D to D, behind the net, other team gets in neutral zone position,, then we dump, cycle, point shot with no traffic, they breakout easy.  Great "system" Clode, in the NHL you need to score.

How would everyone like the pats if we ran 3 times on offense then punted cause we need to protect the ball, be conservative, and play good defense to win.  WAKE UP bruins suk ups.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]I agree with 09, you're asking the wrong question.  Of course it doesnt definately give us the cup like pit and bylsma, if anyone could answer that they would be named scotty bowman. Firing the coach does guarantee that guys will lose their comfort level and actually show up to play again, and we won't go through the same exact thing we went through last year, or even since January 09.  If we keep him it does however guarantee something, we will make the playoffs as a low seed, the team will actually put in effort in the playoffs, maybe win a round, then get bounced.  Mediocore for a team with the best goaltending in the NHL, and according to so many, a team loaded with talent. Bim09's first post says it all.  Just one quick addition, I wouldn't want to play in Claude's mucker system either if I actually had some talent.  Breakout = retreat, D to D, behind the net, other team gets in neutral zone position,, then we dump, cycle, point shot with no traffic, they breakout easy.  Great "system" Clode, in the NHL you need to score. How would everyone like the pats if we ran 3 times on offense then punted cause we need to protect the ball, be conservative, and play good defense to win.  WAKE UP bruins suk ups.
    Posted by bigbadbruinsfan[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your opinion . Your last 19 posts complaining about Julien or Chiarelli are much appreciated. 5 star post. 

24. This post has been removed.