Does Luongo's poor playoff play make Milbury look better as a GM?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

Does Luongo's poor playoff play make Milbury look better as a GM?

Still a bad trade

Panthers got
    Olli Jokinen
    Luongo

Isles got
    Oleg Kvasha
    Mark Parrish

But given that Luongo choked in the playoffs (and is horrible glove side high), does it make Milbury less of a fool?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Re: Does Luongo's poor playoff play make Milbury look better as a GM?

No.  Still horrible.  Luongo has been great ever since he left and the Islanders have never had a very good goalie in that period.  Kvasha and Parrish were duds.  Luongo could have been traded for a huge bounty if the kept him a little longer.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Milbury is the worst GM in NHL history.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

Chara, Bertuzzi, Osgood, all sent packing by Milbury.

passed over Marian Gaborik and Heatly to take DiPietro.....gave up Spezza to bring in Alexi Yashin...

Loved him as a player AND as a coach for the B's in 1990....but sure am glad he was GM on LI and not here.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

He quite possibly is, and this is a COMPLETE and UTTER blunder move on his part.  HOWEVER, given the fact that Lou played 24 games for the Isle in his rookie season, going 7-14-1 (tie), it didnt look like Lou was going to exactly great.  Also, this trade was SO LONG AGO and Luongo didnt make the playoffs until his 6th season and never posted a winning record in FLA. 

He has made the playoffs with the Canucks, a team that has supposedly been a powerhouse in the west, only to go 32-27 in 59 games.  AND, until this year he had only played 34 games in the playoffs in his 10 previous seasons.  NOT exactly stellar stats.

And no, stats dont tell everything always, but Luongo is NOT this god of a goalie like a lot of people have made him out to be.  NOT up to this point.

I think it makes Milbury look less stupid, but at the time it was an incredibly stupid move.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from beantowngm15. Show beantowngm15's posts

The only bright spot of that deal for Millbury was dealing Jokinen. Never been a fan of that guy.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from thedauber1. Show thedauber1's posts

no

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

If he hadn't made that trade then they wouldn't have had to draft and sign Dipietro to one of the worst contract in nhl history. Clearly a win-win for the Isles

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Mad Mike made one great deal Janney and Quintal for Oates all the rest far out weigh all the one good one. Me thinks up until last year Yashin was still getting paid by the Islanders if I'm not mistaken and that is TERRIBLE.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from felixwas. Show felixwas's posts

That trade proves the adage about blind squirrels and acorns.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tom857. Show Tom857's posts

You do realize Millbury wasn't allowed to spend money or make his own moves and was bossed around by a tampering owner who wound up going to jail, right?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

That was a beauty, but Mad Mike was only the assistant GM here.  That was a Harry trade.

In Response to Re: Does Luongo's poor playoff play make Milbury look better as a GM?:
    Mad Mike made one great deal Janney and Quintal for Oates all the rest far out weigh all the one good one. Me thinks up until last year Yashin was still getting paid by the Islanders if I'm not mistaken and that is TERRIBLE.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from beantowngm15. Show beantowngm15's posts

In Response to Re: Does Luongo's poor playoff play make Milbury look better as a GM?:
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

He's still a 2.204M cap hit until after the 2014-2015 season...Good. God.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

I agree with all of the posters here. Just a thought that crossed my mind during the cup run. More of a "did Milbury possibly see that Luongo wasn't a clutch goalie" rather than a "Milbury was great, people just don't understand him".

DiPietro was one of the worst decisions ever by any GM. Close to Albert Belle in Baltimore and that's saying a lot since Bell barely even played for Balimore.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

I always wonder how much Wang got involved in the trades. He is the worst Owner ever, so they go together perfectly. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Does Luongo's poor playoff play make Milbury look better as a GM? : He's still a 2.204M cap hit until after the 2014-2015 season...Good. God.Posted by beantowngm15

Mercy!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bear-in-the-woods. Show bear-in-the-woods's posts

Not to praise Luongo, but he has gotten further in the playoffs each year he's been in Vancouver, and choked less each year. Maybe next year will be the year for him, maybe not. He was very up and down in the final this year, three very good games, four terrible ones, but did enough in the early rounds to get to the final. I think he's still learning what it takes to win, and the mental strength and preparation that goes with it. He definitely wasn't helped by the supposed leaders on that team, either.

As far as Milbury trading him, just one of many bad trades he made, as noted above.

All that said, give me Tim Thomas any day of the week!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

If you do some research on Milbury, or talk to him about it, you might find out that he was doing what he was told from above.

http://www.islanderspointblank.com/2011/01/sny-point-blank-tv-mike-milbury-part-ion-wang-the-lhp-rebuild-future-and-lis-politicians/

In this interview, he mentions that Wang was involved with both the Yashin and the Dipietro contract.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

OK take away those contracts then lets just debate about all the awful trades.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ksp57. Show ksp57's posts

On the other hand, Luongo's play leads to youtube entries like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WNdaGCAjx0

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from beantowngm15. Show beantowngm15's posts

In Response to Re: Does Luongo's poor playoff play make Milbury look better as a GM? : Mercy!
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

Exactly what I said when I saw that. Just inexcusable.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

If you do some research on Milbury, or talk to him about it, you might find out that he was doing what he was told from above. http://www.islanderspointblank.com/2011/01/sny-point-blank-tv-mike-milbury-part-ion-wang-the-lhp-rebuild-future-and-lis-politicians/ In this interview, he mentions that Wang was involved with both the Yashin and the Dipietro contract.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

This kind of support my thoughts of Wang as an owner. The interview and subsequent one, make you understand the thinking a little more. Multiple owners, and lack of money, the pressure to make the playoffs, and all of the other problems. I have never doubted a GM's desire to win, especially making the right moves, because that really shows your knowledge to your peers. Mike wanted to win, and Charles likes to get involved. But when you add up all of the moves they made, and continue to make, something isn't right there. 
    I will say this about DiPietro. When he is on, he is one of the best I've ever seen. Period. He is that good, but too many injuries. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Does Luongo's poor playoff play make Milbury look better as a GM? : This kind of support my thoughts of Wang as an owner. The interview and subsequent one, make you understand the thinking a little more. Multiple owners, and lack of money, the pressure to make the playoffs, and all of the other problems. I have never doubted a GM's desire to win, especially making the right moves, because that really shows your knowledge to your peers. Mike wanted to win, and Charles likes to get involved. But when you add up all of the moves they made, and continue to make, something isn't right there.  I will say this about DiPietro. When he is on, he is one of the best I've ever seen. Period. He is that good, but too many injuries. 
    Posted by perrysound

Count me in the minority that thinks Dipietro(and his contract) take an undeserved bad rap. I don't think it's fair to hold injuries against a player. If he could ever manage to stay healthy for a few years, his cap hit of 4.5m for the talent he brings seems reasonable if you ask me.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

OK take away those contracts then lets just debate about all the awful trades.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

Wang was also involved with the trades.  He was behind the Yashin deal and he was behind the selection of Dipietro, which lead to the trade of Luongo.

The Islanders trading record continued to be miserable long after Milbury left the team...with Wang still owning.  Look at how the Ryan Smyth deal worked out...and what they gave up to get him.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I could see Wang being involved in the contracts but you can't excuse all of Mikes' moves. I wouldn't agree with Milbury is th worst GM ever but he made terrible some trades that has to do with evaluation of talent.

Sections
Shortcuts