Does Luongo's poor playoff play make Milbury look better as a GM?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Re: Does Luongo's poor playoff play make Milbury look better as a GM?

can anyone think of a good move Milbury made while G.M of the Isles?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Does Luongo's poor playoff play make Milbury look better as a GM?:
    Posted by kelvana33

03/13/96: C Darby Hendrickson, D Kenny Jonsson, C Sean Haggerty and TOR 1st round choice in 1997 Entry Draft(4th overall: G Roberto Luongo) from TOR to NYI for LW Wendel Clark, D Mathieu Schneider and D D.J. Smith.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Does Luongo's poor playoff play make Milbury look better as a GM?:
    Posted by kelvana33

05/29/99: MTL trades their 1st round choice in 1999 Entry Draft(10th overall – D Branislav Mezei) to NYI for C Trevor Linden.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Posted by kelvana33

12/19/99: Islanders trade G Felix Potvin, a 2nd round pick in 2000(later traded to NY who selected Teemu Laine) & a 3rd round pick in 2000(Thatcher Bell) to the Vancouver Canucks for G Kevin Weekes, RW Bill Muckalt and C Dave Scatchard.

05/23/00: ANA trades RW Trent Hunter to NYI for NYI’s 4th round pick in 2000(previously acquired by NYI. ANA selected Jonas Ronnqvist).

06/24/00: Islanders trade G Kevin Weekes, D Kristian Kudroc and a second-round pick in 2001 to Tampa Bay for the fifth overall pick(LW Raffi Torres) and CGY’s fourth(NYI selected RW Vladimir Gorbunov) and NYI’s seventh-rounder(previously acquired, NYI select D Ryan Caldwell)

01/03/01: LA trades LW Jason Blake to NYI for a conditional pick in 2002(5th round – D Joel Andresen).

06/22/01: Islanders acquire D Adrian Aucoin and LW Alexander Kharitonov from the Tampa Bay Lightning in exchange for D Mathieu Biron and a 2002 second round draft pick.

06/24/01: Acquired C Michael Peca from Buffalo for C Tim Connolly and LW Taylor Pyatt.

06/22/02: NYI trade RW Mariusz Czerkawski to MTL for RW Arron Asham & a 5th round pick in 2002(Markus Paulsson).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In Response to Re: Does Luongo's poor playoff play make Milbury look better as a GM? : 12/19/99: Islanders trade G Felix Potvin, a 2nd round pick in 2000(later traded to NY who selected Teemu Laine) & a 3rd round pick in 2000(Thatcher Bell) to the Vancouver Canucks for G Kevin Weekes, RW Bill Muckalt and C Dave Scatchard. 05/23/00: ANA trades RW Trent Hunter to NYI for NYI’s 4th round pick in 2000(previously acquired by NYI. ANA selected Jonas Ronnqvist). 06/24/00: Islanders trade G Kevin Weekes, D Kristian Kudroc and a second-round pick in 2001 to Tampa Bay for the fifth overall pick(LW Raffi Torres) and CGY’s fourth(NYI selected RW Vladimir Gorbunov) and NYI’s seventh-rounder(previously acquired, NYI select D Ryan Caldwell) 01/03/01: LA trades LW Jason Blake to NYI for a conditional pick in 2002(5th round – D Joel Andresen). 06/22/01: Islanders acquire D Adrian Aucoin and LW Alexander Kharitonov from the Tampa Bay Lightning in exchange for D Mathieu Biron and a 2002 second round draft pick. 06/24/01: Acquired C Michael Peca from Buffalo for C Tim Connolly and LW Taylor Pyatt. 06/22/02: NYI trade RW Mariusz Czerkawski to MTL for RW Arron Asham & a 5th round pick in 2002(Markus Paulsson).        
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

These are pretty good for any G.M in the league.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

I agree with all of the posters here. Just a thought that crossed my mind during the cup run. More of a "did Milbury possibly see that Luongo wasn't a clutch goalie" rather than a "Milbury was great, people just don't understand him". DiPietro was one of the worst decisions ever by any GM. Close to Albert Belle in Baltimore and that's saying a lot since Bell barely even played for Balimore.
    Posted by nrguy

Im sorry, but no human being could have looked at Luongo at that point in his career, 2 teams ago, and say with any credibility that "he wasnt a clutch goalie."  Thats ridiculous.

If Game 7 this year somehow went the other way, that same goalie would have won the Olympic Gold AND a Stanley Cup in a year's time.  The premise of this thread is ludicrous.

And no Im not a Luongo fan.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In Response to Re: Does Luongo's poor playoff play make Milbury look better as a GM? : Im sorry, but no human being could have looked at Luongo at that point in his career, 2 teams ago, and say with any credibility that "he wasnt a clutch goalie."  Thats ridiculous. If Game 7 this year somehow went the other way, that same goalie would have won the Olympic Gold AND a Stanley Cup in a year's time.  The premise of this thread is ludicrous. And no Im not a Luongo fan.
    Posted by SoxFanInIL

I don't think they could say he was " clutch " either. In the gold medal game it was Roberto Reboundo that gave up the tying goal with seconds on the clock.All he had to do was cover it up but true to form it was at his feet and he misplayed it. Thats how i saw it anyway. In overtime it was like Canada said to themselves we better score quick and hope the U.S.A doesn't get any good chances.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

In Response to Re: Does Luongo's poor playoff play make Milbury look better as a GM? : I don't think they could say he was " clutch " either. In the gold medal game it was Roberto Reboundo that gave up the tying goal with seconds on the clock.All he had to do was cover it up but true to form it was at his feet and he misplayed it. Thats how i saw it anyway. In overtime it was like Canada said to themselves we better score quick and hope the U.S.A doesn't get any good chances.
    Posted by 50belowzero

I totally agree, I dont think he played all that well in the Olympics and Ill bet Brodeur probably could have recovered and done the same thing.  I do not think Luongo is clutch, nor am I a fan.  My point is, Luongo was pretty close to having an argument from his fans that he's not terribly "not clutch,"  but my real point was that its absolutely ridiculous to think anyone could look at Luongo as a kid with NYI and say "he's not a clutch goalie"... its a ridiculous statement.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In Response to Re: Does Luongo's poor playoff play make Milbury look better as a GM? : I totally agree, I dont think he played all that well in the Olympics and Ill bet Brodeur probably could have recovered and done the same thing.  I do not think Luongo is clutch, nor am I a fan.  My point is, Luongo was pretty close to having an argument from his fans that he's not terribly "not clutch,"  but my real point was that its absolutely ridiculous to think anyone could look at Luongo as a kid with NYI and say "he's not a clutch goalie"... its a ridiculous statement.
    Posted by SoxFanInIL

I see what your saying sox and i agree totally. He hadn't played any meaningful Pro ( ie: Stanley cup , Olympic ) games yet to make that statement.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

2003     Lost to Ottawa, 4-1, Eastern Conference quarterfinals
    2002     Lost to Toronto, 4-3, Eastern Conference quarterfinals

Boy I tell yah all those trades truly were an exercise in futility and the Islander playoff results were living proof!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Posted by kelvana33

You should have added to your question.......... to make the NYI a contender. Making lots of trades was easy for Milbury, putting the right players on the ice wasn't.

Sections
Shortcuts