Does Rask have to win a cup in 8 years to justify his contract?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from overpaid40. Show overpaid40's posts

Does Rask have to win a cup in 8 years to justify his contract?

Or is almost good enough? I am afraid there will be another few decades of being cupless in store for Bruins fans everywhere. Zero confidence in Rask at this point, but maybe I will be proven wrong. I hope so.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Re: Does Rask have to win a cup in 8 years to justify his contract?

It would certainly help, and I think that for Rask to ever be considered as good as Thomas he needs to win it all...

But it's a team game and all you can ask your goalie to do is put you in a position to win.  I would never put a Cup on the shoulders of a single player, because you need a great team performance for six weeks to get there.  Guys have to score too.

If Rask is among the lead leaders and gives his team elite goaltending for the next 8 years, than the contract was certainly worth it.

But a Cup would remove all question.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Archer1. Show Archer1's posts

For my liking...Rask would have to remain competitive/successful for the majority of his contract for me to consider it a success. My main concern regarding his contract is that should his performance dip and his confidence suffer, the Bruins are stuck with an albatross contract that will be impossible to move and would prevent other improvements on the team. Goalies fluctuate so easily/often and I just hope that he can maintain a reasonable measure of success throughout the entirety of the contract. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

does king henry deserve his contract? does rinne? you can play great without winning a cup. 

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from KWPatsFan. Show KWPatsFan's posts

8 years is crazy.  A few losing streaks, confidence dips and viola 7 more years of a backup goalie.  Jacobs is the cheapest owner in sports so good luck on a buyout from him.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:

does king henry deserve his contract? does rinne? you can play great without winning a cup. 

No freakin' way.  That contract is going to hang up that stupid franchise and I love it.  I have always hated Atlanta and Nashville. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

If the cap continues to climb (which e-thing points it will) in 4 yrs time this deal will be seem cheap compared to what other teams will have to fork out for elite #1 goalie's. It's an 8 yr deal that ends at the current CBA. And there's nothing saying the B's have to keep Rask if a Svedberg, or Subban is developing nicely, putting up better, or equal #'s & come cheaper that the B's can't move Rask for a missing piece to help go on another deep run. 

"Why is a puck called a puck? Because Dirty little bastar d was taken!"- Marty Brodeur

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Rinne is worth every penny of that contract and the cost per year isn't holding up additional signings, the 20 investors who own the Predators are. That ownership group wants their profits and don't care about a cup (ala the Panthers and Stars). They knew not to let Rinne and Weber go anywhere for attendance purposes n that's it. Get your cash for 5-7 years then sell or let the league have it back.

Nothing suggests that Rask's numbers could drop based on his previous stats. You want to keep a goalie like Rinne and Lundqvist, you have to pay them.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from burythehabs. Show burythehabs's posts

In response to overpaid40's comment:

Or is almost good enough? I am afraid there will be another few decades of being cupless in store for Bruins fans everywhere. Zero confidence in Rask at this point, but maybe I will be proven wrong. I hope so.

This is a very trollish post. Am I the only one who thinks so?

who do you have confidence in, Reimer? Luongo?

decades without cups? No thats habs, laffs and nucks (never)

Eatsh!t & F off 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to KWPatsFan's comment:

8 years is crazy.  A few losing streaks, confidence dips and viola 7 more years of a backup goalie.  Jacobs is the cheapest owner in sports so good luck on a buyout from him.

Not even a week ago JJ said he wants the Bruins to be a cap team. Get over the 80's already. Rask, at this point in his career, has the best numbers of any keeper in a generation. If he gives the team even 80 per cent of that going forward they have a very good chance. It's a team game.

You can't put a Cup on Rask - we just need him to give the team a reasonable shot.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

In response to KWPatsFan's comment:

The cheapest owner in sports? What about all the owners in his own sport that dont spend to the cap? What about all the MLB teams that dont make as much as Alex Rodriguez?

The "Jacobs is cheap" farce is the litmus test for clueless commentary.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

In response to overpaid40's comment:

With that screen name, you are supposed to be believed when you say you hope Rask does well?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

No freakin' way.  That contract is going to hang up that stupid franchise and I love it.  I have always hated Atlanta and Nashville. 

the point of the post was that a goalie can be very good, and earn a big contract, without winning a cup. do you disagree?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

the point of the post was that a goalie can be very good, and earn a big contract, without winning a cup. do you disagree?

Save your condecending attitude for others.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Save your condecending attitude for others.

(says the pot to the kettle). there was no condescending attitude there. I'm curious. I was making a point about elite goaltenders not needing a cup on their resume to validify big contracts. I was just wondering if you disagree. I'm also curious as to why you hate the preds. seems like a weird franchise to hate. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

(says the pot to the kettle). there was no condescending attitude there. I'm curious. I was making a point about elite goaltenders not needing a cup on their resume to validify big contracts. I was just wondering if you disagree. I'm also curious as to why you hate the preds. seems like a weird franchise to hate. 

I don't think Rinne is elite.  That was my point.

As for needing a Cup, well, Rask hasn't been a Cup winning goaltender (he has a ring but that's not the topic) and is clearly an elite goaltender and has a huge contract.  I think that answers your question.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Rask is a piece of the puzzle who will give us a chance to win every year for the next 8.  Hes a very expensive piece so if his play is nothing but outstanding he will here it.  No different then any other high played player and more so bc he is a goalie.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Weber + Rinne = $15M a year

Chara +  Rask  = $14M a year

Not much of a difference, can't say one is less handcuffed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonwarrior. Show bostonwarrior's posts

How can anyone have zero confidence in a goalie who almost took his team all the way in his first full year as a starter? He's young, confident, talented, intelligent, fundamentally solid as a rock, well liked and respected, what's not to like about him?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to bostonwarrior's comment:

How can anyone have zero confidence in a goalie who almost took his team all the way in his first full year as a starter? He's young, confident, talented, intelligent, fundamentally solid as a rock, well liked and respected, what's not to like about him?

7m a year for 8 yrs.   

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxt. Show mxt's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

7m a year for 8 yrs.   

Shupe - I totally agree. Then again, I'm not a fan of long term contracts for any goalie.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to mxt's comment:

In response to shuperman's comment:

7m a year for 8 yrs.   

Shupe - I totally agree. Then again, I'm not a fan of long term contracts for any goalie.

Please dont agree.  Im trying to convince myself that this contract is ok.  Then i go ba ck and realize that he has 128 career starts and is 66-45.  66-45 on a bruins team that has been oe of the best in the league for years and dominant in a def first system with a veteran blueline and chara. Then i realize he was a starter in 2010 for 45 games(careerhigh), then never crack more the 30 as tt caddy.   then he had a very good lockout year and run to the scf.  I also wonder if an avg goalie in this system would also flourish and am convinced someone could.   I cant get by this but im trying.  Dont encourage by bad habit/s.  :-). 

Im glad w dont have to worry about a goalie for a while, unless of course he has an off year like most good goalies have done recently after signing large deals, or should rask fatigue bc hes never been a starter for an 82 gm season, or should he get a slight injury or severe one bc we have absolutely nothing to back him up.  But you cant worry about those things bc only time will tell is that, at the moment we have a elite goalie in the nhl.  Im sorta ok with him as a starter for a long time.   

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I  know some people dont like the fact that Rask hasnt played as much, or as much as Rinne to earn what he will be paid.. I say the people who pay him have seen enough (Chiarelli with contracts is alot better than Chiarelli with draft picks). Also, keep in mind, Rask has accomplished more over his career than Rinne has.

Sections
Shortcuts