Does Rask have to win a cup in 8 years to justify his contract?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Re: Does Rask have to win a cup in 8 years to justify his contract?

In response to shuperman's comment:

Please dont agree.  Im trying to convince myself that this contract is ok.  Then i go ba ck and realize that he has 128 career starts and is 66-45.  66-45 on a bruins team that has been oe of the best in the league for years and dominant in a def first system with a veteran blueline and chara. Then i realize he was a starter in 2010 for 45 games(careerhigh), then never crack more the 30 as tt caddy.   then he had a very good lockout year and run to the scf.  I also wonder if an avg goalie in this system would also flourish and am convinced someone could.   I cant get by this but im trying.  Dont encourage by bad habit/s.  :-). 

Im glad w dont have to worry about a goalie for a while, unless of course he has an off year like most good goalies have done recently after signing large deals, or should rask fatigue bc hes never been a starter for an 82 gm season, or should he get a slight injury or severe one bc we have absolutely nothing to back him up.  But you cant worry about those things bc only time will tell is that, at the moment we have a elite goalie in the nhl.  Im sorta ok with him as a starter for a long time.   

[/QUOTE]

You don't like the Rask contract, and I have no problem with it. Yet everything you state here is true except for one thing I will argue. I'm not sure if an average goalie can flourish in this system, he'd be better, but I am glad we wont have to see if one does.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrandShore. Show OrrandShore's posts

Rask does not have to win a cup in 8 years, he should win a cup every year for 8 years for this amount of money.   But, the point is that long term contracts for goalies just don't make any sense.  Goalies are a strange bunch and Bruin fans should know this fact since TT only made 4 years on his contract, then went bye-bye.
        Bryzgalov should be another beacon as far as goalie contracts go- they tend to go off on "tangents' after 3-4 years.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to OrrandShore's comment:

Rask does not have to win a cup in 8 years, he should win a cup every year for 8 years for this amount of money.   But, the point is that long term contracts for goalies just don't make any sense.  Goalies are a strange bunch and Bruin fans should know this fact since TT only made 4 years on his contract, then went bye-bye.
        Bryzgalov should be another beacon as far as goalie contracts go- they tend to go off on "tangents' after 3-4 years.

the whole "oh she should win 8 cups for that amount of money" argument is horrible. There are guys getting paid more to score against rask. Should Malkin win 8 cups for his deal? However, I do agree, more than 5 years for a goalie isn't smart. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:

the whole "oh she should win 8 cups for that amount of money" argument is horrible. There are guys getting paid more to score against rask. Should Malkin win 8 cups for his deal? However, I do agree, more than 5 years for a goalie isn't smart

Why just goalies? How are those deals for Pronger,Savard,Kovalchuk,Lecavalier,Campbell,Redden,Briere,Gomez,Holik,Yashin?

Not one of them plays for the team they singed the deal with.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrogdorZing. Show TrogdorZing's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

[QUOTE]

(says the pot to the kettle). there was no condescending attitude there. I'm curious. I was making a point about elite goaltenders not needing a cup on their resume to validify big contracts. I was just wondering if you disagree. I'm also curious as to why you hate the preds. seems like a weird franchise to hate. 

I don't think Rinne is elite.  That was my point.

As for needing a Cup, well, Rask hasn't been a Cup winning goaltender (he has a ring but that's not the topic) and is clearly an elite goaltender and has a huge contract.  I think that answers your question.

[/QUOTE]

Rinne is not elite??? Seriously??? If Rinne is not elite, I am curious what you think of Tuuka....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

[QUOTE]

the whole "oh she should win 8 cups for that amount of money" argument is horrible. There are guys getting paid more to score against rask. Should Malkin win 8 cups for his deal? However, I do agree, more than 5 years for a goalie isn't smart

Why just goalies? How are those deals for Pronger,Savard,Kovalchuk,Lecavalier,Campbell,Redden,Briere,Gomez,Holik,Yashin?

Not one of them plays for the team they singed the deal with.

[/QUOTE]

Kovalchuk's deal was stupid, as was Redden's, Gomez, and several more. There are some that are okay though. Pronger's and Savard were great were it not for injury. I think the Richard's and Carter deals are okay. They'll play out their contracts, and as the cap goes up I think even with a decline of production the contracts won't be bad. Hossa's is fine. I think Crosby's and Malkin's could work out alright. Duncan Keith's could work out well, did I really just read that Jagr once got 11 million per season?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

Solid goaltending from Rask is all that is asked for the next 8 years. Sure he will have off nights in net, but all goalies do and all players for that matter. Its all about the playoffs. The B's will be contenders again next year. The system they play is solid and proven. Its so refreshing to have had solid goaltending the last 5-6 years. Its been such a rollercoaster ride in that position from the early 90's til the mid 2000's.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from chetgnat. Show chetgnat's posts

No. They have to win 2.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

Wow, people are really lining up to hate this guy. He's a great goalie and I cant wait to see how he plays over the next couple of seasons.  He's been nothing, if not consistent in my opinion.  He shows up and plays every minute of every game and plays it well.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from chetgnat. Show chetgnat's posts

In response to DaveyN's comment:

Wow, people are really lining up to hate this guy. He's a great goalie and I cant wait to see how he plays over the next couple of seasons.  He's been nothing, if not consistent in my opinion.  He shows up and plays every minute of every game and plays it well.

hate? are you tarded or just stupid?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

In response to chetgnat's comment:

In response to DaveyN's comment:

[QUOTE]

hate? are you tarded or just stupid?

[/QUOTE]

Look at some of the comments here. 'no faith in rask at all at this point' 'he has to win 8 cup in 8 years'

to me that sounds like hate, especially after how well he played this season.

Also, using 'retarded' as an isult probably should have stopped once you got out of junior high. Or did that just not happen(yet)?

If you wanna discuss anything said in this thread or my previous post, be an adult.  Dont toss insults around like a keyboard cowboy whenever you disagree with someone, because you end up looking pathetic.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

In response to overpaid40's comment:

Or is almost good enough? I am afraid there will be another few decades of being cupless in store for Bruins fans everywhere. Zero confidence in Rask at this point, but maybe I will be proven wrong. I hope so.

...DUH  ....you just dont get it ...he doesnt have to win a cup he has to win 4 cups by 2020

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011 & 4 more Cups by 2020

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

So simple !

Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011 & 4 more Cups by 2020

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's comment:

...DUH  ....you just dont get it ...he doesnt have to win a cup he has to win 4 cups by 2020

Stanley 4 Cups in 7 years or lass hasn't been done since the Oilers when there were 9 fewer teams in the league. It's simply not going to happen. Impossible. At least try to have some sort of reasonable expectations.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

In response to shuperman's comment:

Please dont agree.  Im trying to convince myself that this contract is ok.  Then i go ba ck and realize that he has 128 career starts and is 66-45.  66-45 on a bruins team that has been oe of the best in the league for years and dominant in a def first system with a veteran blueline and chara. Then i realize he was a starter in 2010 for 45 games(careerhigh), then never crack more the 30 as tt caddy.   then he had a very good lockout year and run to the scf.  I also wonder if an avg goalie in this system would also flourish and am convinced someone could.   I cant get by this but im trying.  Dont encourage by bad habit/s.  :-). 

Im glad w dont have to worry about a goalie for a while, unless of course he has an off year like most good goalies have done recently after signing large deals, or should rask fatigue bc hes never been a starter for an 82 gm season, or should he get a slight injury or severe one bc we have absolutely nothing to back him up.  But you cant worry about those things bc only time will tell is that, at the moment we have a elite goalie in the nhl.  Im sorta ok with him as a starter for a long time.   

You don't like the Rask contract, and I have no problem with it. Yet everything you state here is true except for one thing I will argue. I'm not sure if an average goalie can flourish in this system, he'd be better, but I am glad we wont have to see if one does.

[/QUOTE]

Kel this is one statement that drives me to that short trip to crazy! A system CAN NOT make a goalie better! It can improve his stats, but it cannot make him a better goalie. Hard work, athletic ability & god given talent is what makes a goalie better. Some goalies peak earlier than others & this is what makes them fall from grace. They're great in JR & come highly touted. They get drafted because the cliche' is. They'll get better with age. That doesn't always happen. Once they hit the pro's the books & the videos come out. The weaknesses are shown daily to 29 other teams. Their stance, their lateral movement is all magnified. The goalies that are able to fix their weaknesses are the ones that survive. Rask last yr was dropping too early into the butterfly. This yr he was much better at that. This is what separates good, great & the elites. Not systems!