Does the NHL care about diving?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

Does the NHL care about diving?

There is no doubt in my mind that the refs have been told to watch Boston for dirty hits and play that gets too physical as evidenced by the Sedenberg interference penalty. My question is, have the refs also been told to watch out for diving on the part of the Canadiens?

IMO almost every Montreal penalty in game 3 was sold with a dive, flop, or grab. Why don't the refs and the league look at the game film and realize that the Habs constantly dive and give the calls more scrutiny?

The main reason I never watch soccer is the constant diving and faking, why doesn't the league realize that this is a big turn off for fans?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsFanNewbie. Show BruinsFanNewbie's posts

Re: Does the NHL care about diving?

I doubt that they're looking; and they're obviously ignoring dives if they see them.

It's only a big turn-off for Boston fans. Montreal fans love the embellishment. I think it's art to them.

I've seen way more dives called in the NCAA than the NHL this year, and I only watched about 20 NCAA games. Wink

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

No, and THATS whats ruining the game.  Simple as that.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

"Why don't the refs and the league look at the game film and realize that the Habs constantly dive"

you've answered your own question

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

I just think that some of them are so blatant that the league office has to be sending messages to the refs or the team. Krejic gets called for a hook when he hits the guy with the stick and he holds on? I mean come on, open your eyes.
    I'm not calling for the refs to start calling diving based on history but shouldn't you not call the marginal calls based on history of the player? i.e. If a guy dives and sells the call all the time, then shouldn't you look at the penalties against them differently and not give him the drawn penalty?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

No the NHL does not care about diving.  It is DISGUSTING.  If I were a ref I would watch the film, and I would raise the bar for penalties against guys who had played me previously.  It would be an insult to me if I noticed a guy diving on me, I would not just shrug it off.  Apparently NHL refs don't have the same sense of pride as we do.  It is RIDICULOUS.

I mean realistically diving flies in the face of everything that competition is supposed to be.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

How are we blaming the refs for this?  Every team has a few guys that will ham it up.  Seems like Montreal has more but we have our own as well.

I used to argue with my father growing up that Montreal always seems to get the calls.

Game 1.
    PP- Habs had one more PP but Chara's at the end was just dumb to begin with.

Game 2.
    PP- We had one more PP

Game 3.
    PP- Even PP wise and Ryder got one with 6 seconds left and Lucic sat for too many men in the 1st minute.

I can't complain about the refs. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

In Response to Re: Does the NHL care about diving?:
    How are we blaming the refs for this?  Every team has a few guys that will ham it up.  Seems like Montreal has more but we have our own as well. I used to argue with my father growing up that Montreal always seems to get the calls. Game 1. PP- Habs had one more PP but Chara's at the end was just dumb to begin with. Game 2. PP- We had one more PP Game 3. PP- Even PP wise and Ryder got one with 6 seconds left and Lucic sat for too many men in the 1st minute. I can't complain about the refs. 
    Posted by shuperman

Nowhere did I blame the refs for the Game 1 and game 2 losses. If you have read my posts, you realize I blame the poor coaching job and the Bs going down one goal quickly for the losses. 

My point is that the Habs embelish every borderline play. The refs should be aware of this and not call marginal penalties as much.

I'm not arguing that the Bs shouldn't have been called for penalties, I'm stating that the refs should recognize that the Habs dive more than other teams and give the Bs and other teams some lee-way on borderline penalties as a result.

My point is that the league office should review every penalty and let the refs know when they missed a dive or when a player sells the penalty too much.

My point is not that the Bruins lost due to bad calls but rather that the Habs dive a lot and the league should take notice in order to keep the integrity of the game.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

If the Scabs can't dive, half their gameplan goes out the window.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

You know, I think the refs MIGHT notice it, but instead of calling it the dive they just let it go.  When a guy TRIES to draw a penalty by diving, THATS the penalty, and THATS my problem with the refs.  The dive is a penalty, call the goddamn thing!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In Response to Re: Does the NHL care about diving? : Nowhere did I blame the refs for the Game 1 and game 2 losses. If you have read my posts, you realize I blame the poor coaching job and the Bs going down one goal quickly for the losses.  My point is that the Habs embelish every borderline play. The refs should be aware of this and not call marginal penalties as much. I'm not arguing that the Bs shouldn't have been called for penalties, I'm stating that the refs should recognize that the Habs dive more than other teams and give the Bs and other teams some lee-way on borderline penalties as a result. My point is that the league office should review every penalty and let the refs know when they missed a dive or when a player sells the penalty too much. My point is not that the Bruins lost due to bad calls but rather that the Habs dive a lot and the league should take notice in order to keep the integrity of the game.
    Posted by nrguy

I wasn't attempting to single you out.  I think we all view them as what they are.  I think the refs in general do an excellent job.  Sure they will be influenced on occasion as the human error factors in.  But, some on here use this excuse all the time.  When in fact the numbers in this series are pretty much even.  If it were 8-1 then I would be going a little bonkers as well.

And if you think Montreal is bad try stomaching a Pens game.  Game 1 they flopped every chance they could.  I think they are one in the same Pitt/Montreal.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

You know, I think the refs MIGHT notice it, but instead of calling it the dive they just let it go.  When a guy TRIES to draw a penalty by diving, THATS the penalty, and THATS my problem with the refs.  The dive is a penalty, call the goddamn thing!
    Posted by bigvig

I cant find the stat but I think that in all of the diving penalties called in the NHL this year only 1 or 2 were called without also calling the infraction that the dive embellished.

I will never understand this, if someone dives on a trip and gets called for the other guy still gets the tripping penalty???? That is just encouraging diving.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

In Response to Re: Does the NHL care about diving? : I wasn't attempting to single you out.  I think we all view them as what they are.  I think the refs in general do an excellent job.  Sure they will be influenced on occasion as the human error factors in.  But, some on here use this excuse all the time.  When in fact the numbers in this series are pretty much even.  If it were 8-1 then I would be going a little bonkers as well. And if you think Montreal is bad try stomaching a Pens game.  Game 1 they flopped every chance they could.  I think they are one in the same Pitt/Montreal.
    Posted by shuperman

Win or lose, I just want a game without diving which I consider a form of cheating. While the numbers don't show it, I see numerous occasions where the Bruins stop themselves from committing a penalty because they have been coached not to take them. The Habs take stupid penalties and dive, that's why they were one of the most penalized teams in the game this year.

Given what I see at home, the Bs should be getting 2-3 more powerplays than the Habs every game. Doesn't and didn't matter though as the Bs can't score on the PP.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

Gotta do what ya gotta do to win.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Diving is just the tip of the iceberg.  How about interference, no consistency, just like holding in American football, it can be called at any time.  How about charging and boarding, Pouliot anyone?  Then the infamous grab the puck in the hand and throwing it away from the defender? Not called!  Lastly hooking, "parallel to the ice" even if the opposing player is holding it there.  Dumas! It is not just in Montreal it is all over the league.  No wonder the NHL did nothing with clutch and grab in the 90s!   BTW, don't get the third man in anymore either?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

Flailing to get a trip and holding a stick with your forearms to get a hooking penalty are not like holding in football. Instead of calling matching diving and hooking, holding, tripping penalties, just call it a dive and teams will stop doing it. Refs are afraid to call it so teams keep on embelishing.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beorach. Show Beorach's posts

The other soccer thing is delaying the game like Wisniewski did Monday night to deny the B's a 2-on-1.  It's not like Ribeiro and Kovalev yet but, looking back, it's hard to hope that the NHL's going to do anything.  Maybe when Campbell's finally gone...?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

The other soccer thing is delaying the game like Wisniewski did Monday night to deny the B's a 2-on-1.  It's not like Ribeiro and Kovalev yet but, looking back, it's hard to hope that the NHL's going to do anything.  Maybe when Campbell's finally gone...?
    Posted by Beorach

In defense of Wiz is did draw blood.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from chapter10. Show chapter10's posts

Although Wiz is a tough guy (I played with him way back), he did what is paramount to a dive on that play...yes even though he drew blood callodthdom19...

He took the stick in the mouth, looked up to see if there was a penalty, when one wasn't going to be called (and realizing he was waaaaaay out of position at that point) he dropped down faking an injury. That is by the book delay of game, and if the refs were going to stop play, he should have been punished with a penalty. He wasn't "hurt" until it helped his team to be "hurt" on the ice.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

Although Wiz is a tough guy (I played with him way back), he did what is paramount to a dive on that play...yes even though he drew blood callodthdom19... He took the stick in the mouth, looked up to see if there was a penalty, when one wasn't going to be called (and realizing he was waaaaaay out of position at that point) he dropped down faking an injury. That is by the book delay of game, and if the refs were going to stop play, he should have been punished with a penalty. He wasn't "hurt" until it helped his team to be "hurt" on the ice.
    Posted by chapter10

I know he did. But I am a defender of a properly placed dive. It's not embarrassing to the game like some make it out to be. What's embarrassing is that it's a penalty that isn't getting called. Every player has done it from time to time to help the team. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

The Bruins are one of the most penalized teams b/c we also have a lot of fighting majors.  Same reason the Pens are up there. 

I think the refs do a great job.  I am not blaming them for our 2-1 hole.  We get those calls at home as well.  I do know where you are coming from. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

Tell me this. Does anyone know of a diving penalty that was given, where the other player didn't go for one too? I thought the whole purpose of the rule was to prevent the embellishments from happening in the first place; no? What's the point of having a diving penalty when you're not really going to make that the only penalty called? Right now besides getting a coincidental minor you get your name put into a book! That is still a rule in the NHL right? Or did they get rid of that rule? I haven't seen a diving penalty called all season, so I guess maybe they did do away with it.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

The solution to me isn't calling the diving penalty.....just don't call what caused the dive. The Refs need to recognize a real slash versus a borderline slash/dive and not call anything. Sooner or later, guys will realize they're just taking themselves out of the play and the penalty isn't coming.

Let them play. Don't reward dives by calling the so-called infraction.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

On a separate note, the number of penalties is THE #1 problem I have with the NHL these days. I understand the history of the clutch and grab 90s and why more hooking/interference/holding penalties are called. Now on top of this, there's the desire to protect against head shots and the line between a hard but punishing hit and an illegal hit is getting thin.

What it adds up to is a league claiming that they are trying to liberate it's talent to play a faster, high scoring, skilled game by calling more penalties of those who aren't keeping up. Trouble is, it makes the game worse. The most minor of holds is called now, which leads to stopping the play, then boring low-percentage power plays and lots of icing and regrouping. It basically stops all up-and-down action for 2 minutes, and it's not like the players are learning and making fewer penalties. There are just more and more and the players never stop grabbing.

I've said it here before, but the best hockey is Olympic hockey. People will say there's less hitting and more talent, but it's just not the whole story. The Vancouver Games had TONS of hitting, holding, pressing, grabbing and every skater just worked their way through it. The Refs didn't call that little stuff, and we were all rewarded with a much faster and excited style of play.

The NHL is becoming basketball. Whistles every 30 seconds. I hate it. Let them play! Grrrr.......

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwayjack2. Show fenwayjack2's posts

In Response to Does the NHL care about diving?:
    There is no doubt in my mind that the refs have been told to watch Boston for dirty hits and play that gets too physical as evidenced by the Sedenberg interference penalty. My question is, have the refs also been told to watch out for diving on the part of the Canadiens? IMO almost every Montreal penalty in game 3 was sold with a dive, flop, or grab. Why don't the refs and the league look at the game film and realize that the Habs constantly dive and give the calls more scrutiny? The main reason I never watch soccer is the constant diving and faking, why doesn't the league realize that this is a big turn off for fans?
    Posted by nrguy

They are Canadian officials and obviously out to screw the Bruins.  Other than making a decent beer (Molson) 99.9% of Canadians blow.  Back in the day the coach of the Russians threatened to pull his team off the ice in an exhibition game and now maybe you can understand why.

The Bruins must heed the words of the immortal Rieggie Dunlop (Paul Newman),
    " Let em know you're there." 

Sections
Shortcuts