Does this Bruins team remind you of the 2004 Red Sox

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from orr4neely8. Show orr4neely8's posts

Does this Bruins team remind you of the 2004 Red Sox

Same type of character players, a coach nobody had faith in, a GM being criticize for moves, key players to get the job done, came back against their arc rivals etc. Only thing I do not expect a Bruins sweep but a championship is very possible.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

Re: Does this Bruins team remind you of the 2004 Red Sox

'04 red sox didn't play if they had a blister.  b's are a bit tougher.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

The only thing in common is they both play in Boston.  Baseball is not hockey.  Same kinda story line.  That's where the comparison ends.  Schilling and his ankle wouldnt even be an issue with the Bruins.  In baseball it was the most heroic thing ever.  Hockey its a 5 minute stitch job and a bag of ice. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Right on Shupe, just remember Stamkos getting hit in the face with a slap shot. Between periods the announcers indicated his coming back is all about hockey. I keep reading all these Kevin Allen and Fluto predictions about a Canucks win because they finished first in the NHL points. Did not the Bruins finish first a few years ago and never made the finals? That perception is based in sand. This Bruins team has toughness that was like the 2004 Red Sox attitude, which is the comparison we can all accept. There is no "give up" on this team. The Bruins will win, but if Vancouver does, it will be because they played better hockey.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tbops. Show Tbops's posts

C'mon Red Sox..ah this is Hockey. Two different sports. I see where your coming from but... please

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

In the sense that I was there for almost every home game for both teams in the regular season and for every home postseason game, yes. For as how excited I am heading into the finals, yes. For the idea that I bring teams good luck when I'm at the game, yes.

However, these Bruins are not the stacked 2004 Red Sox team and the Vancouver Canucks are not the 2004 St. Louis Cardinals.

These 2010-11 Bruins remind me of the 2010-11 Bruins as they will write (and have written) their own story.

If you want to throw out a comparison though, it's the 2002 Patriots. Defensive minded team, coach that didn't get enough credit, players that were undervalued, young star in the making that breaks out (Brady v Seguin). But you can't even make that comparison too well as the 2002 Pats were an old team while this is a very young team.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

No, the Sox were the AL favorites by many experts that year. The Bruins weren't supposed to go this far.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tom857. Show Tom857's posts

The 2004 Red Sox were all about the "Idiots." Completely different team vibe.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

King, completely agree on all accounts. I just think comparisons are stupid and the 2004 Red Sox are more like Vancouver than the Bruins.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Yes, I have frequently made the comparison in regard to first the comeback v. Montreal, and the way Horton is Ortiz with the clutch goals/hits...Seguin and Ryder have had some great individual games, which is like a great pitching start....04 Sox and this team...It's like destiny. I agree.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bluefox70. Show bluefox70's posts

Are you kidding me? There are No Jerks like a Manny Ramirez on this team.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

We need a Mark Bellhorn type (Ryder?) who quietly hits huge homeruns when nothing is expected of him.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

Apology expected......I mean accepted.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

In Response to Re: Does this Bruins team remind you of the 2004 Red Sox:
    We need a Mark Bellhorn type (Ryder?) who quietly hits huge homeruns when nothing is expected of him.
    Posted by Fletcher1

^^

Gregory Campbell, anyone?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

Actually, allow me to amend that previous thought. Bellhorn was the guy who you always groaned about whenever he came up--expecting a strike out. Expectations were so low that NO ONE predicted him to factor into huge wins for the Sox in Game 6 of the ALCS (3-run homer) or Game 1 of the World Series (tie-breaking 2-run blast late in the game).

More than Campbell--who isn't flashy but does work hard and makes few mistakes--the better analogy for Bellhorn is Daniel Paille. The guy who gets a lot of breakaways due to his speed but never seems to score. The last guy you'd expect to come up a hero.

So: Paille as the '11 Bruins version of the '04 Bellhorn.

Actually I'd take either as long as it means a Bruins series victory.

Go Bruins!!!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I think there is one huge similarity between these teams that transcends the different sports, and that is getting past the Yankees/Habs the way they did before the finals.

In both cases there was tremendous pressure to beat their rivals.  In both cases they fell badly behind.  In both cases the players/fans/media came face to face with the painful failure to your rival.  And, in both cases the team rallied, threw the huge monkey off their backs, and prevailed.  And with that, the pressure is gone.

The Stanley Cup pressure, just like the World Series pressure vs. St Louis in '04 is nothing compared to what they have already been through.  They have already thrown the pressure and nerves away and they should be locked in now.  What is there to fear now?  They should be relaxed and focused.

Another important similarity is the relative health of the team (knocking on wood).  Both teams have made it to the finals with uncommonly healthy rosters.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Actually, allow me to amend that previous thought. Bellhorn was the guy who you always groaned about whenever he came up--expecting a strike out. Expectations were so low that NO ONE predicted him to factor into huge wins for the Sox in Game 6 of the ALCS (3-run homer) or Game 1 of the World Series (tie-breaking 2-run blast late in the game). More than Campbell--who isn't flashy but does work hard and makes few mistakes--the better analogy for Bellhorn is Daniel Paille. The guy who gets a lot of breakaways due to his speed but never seems to score. The last guy you'd expect to come up a hero. So: Paille as the '11 Bruins version of the '04 Bellhorn. Actually I'd take either as long as it means a Bruins series victory. Go Bruins!!!!
    Posted by TryToBearIt

I think that Paille or Ryder are the Bellhorn types on this team, because like you said, Campbell is contributing in very meaningful and noticable ways already.

Like King said, Ryder seems to have the Bellhorn demeanor -- unemotional, almost brooding at times, great shot, but surprisingly ineffective for long stretches...and yet, the capability is always there.

C'mon Ryder, be like Bellhorn and surprise us all...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

In Response to Re: Does this Bruins team remind you of the 2004 Red Sox : The 2001 Pats were loaded with older players and cast offs, or just players pretty much one year away from being replaced. The year before, they had gone 5-11.  I don't agree with that correlation.  I think you are making it seem like the 2009/2010 Bruins had limited talent, as does this year's team and it's not really true. What the Pats accomplished in February of 2002 is arguably the greatest upset in NFL history because of the talent disparity between themselves and their opponent. Also, whoever said Boston was picked to win the division in 2004, I am not sure that was the case. Ny acquired Dora in the offseason and there were plenty of people who had the Yanks to win the East. I think the 2003/2004 Sox comparison makes sense because each team collapsed the year before each entered the title series. The comparison will be spot on if the B's pull this off.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing

Yes some did pick the Yanks. It was close but most (If by a small margin) predicted the Sox because of their pitching. Kevin Brown and Vazquez were question marks and they had lost Clemens and Pettite.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from zamboni24. Show zamboni24's posts

No -- one is a real sport played by men and the other is a game of leisure played by pansies.

Sections
Shortcuts