Don Cherry On NHL Off Season Moves

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Don Cherry On NHL Off Season Moves

He gives his take on the signings and trades by teams so far this summer.  Among other things he includes his opinion on the Seguin trade, Ference going to Edmonton, Luongo's situation and the new rule preventing junior teams from having European goalies.

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/07/09/don-cherry-candid-on-offseason-nhl-moves

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

Re: Don Cherry On NHL Off Season Moves

Seguin played like a jag in the playoffs.  A 2nd overall pick that got paid almost 6 million a year should never play like a jag in the playoffs.  Ever.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

I love the comments on Bozak.  Many leaf fans are so pumped about their team.  You also have TO sport writers crowing about the Seguin trade and Horton and Ference leaving - snippets of negativity about the Bruins without delivering an overall objective big picture.  Meanwhile the laffs start another season with Tyler Bozak as their number one centre.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to huntbri's comment:

I love the comments on Bozak.  Many leaf fans are so pumped about their team.  You also have TO sport writers crowing about the Seguin trade and Horton and Ference leaving - snippets of negativity about the Bruins without delivering an overall objective big picture.  Meanwhile the laffs start another season with Tyler Bozak as their number one centre.

At best he'd be number three on the Bruins, hunt.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:

In response to huntbri's comment:

I love the comments on Bozak.  Many leaf fans are so pumped about their team.  You also have TO sport writers crowing about the Seguin trade and Horton and Ference leaving - snippets of negativity about the Bruins without delivering an overall objective big picture.  Meanwhile the laffs start another season with Tyler Bozak as their number one centre.

At best he'd be number three on the Bruins, hunt.

I would take him there - he is a good 3rd line centre.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

In response to bim09's comment:

Seguin played like a jag in the playoffs.  A 2nd overall pick that got paid almost 6 million a year should never play like a jag in the playoffs.  Ever.

maybe had this "jag" been put back on the second line he would've scored a timely goal or two that would've changed the B'S fate....  and what's followed....

anyway, he couldn't have done worse than what the other "jag" occupying his spot did....

although i like the B'S deal, the more i hear some people crap on the kid, the more i want the kid to succeed in Dallas....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"Don Cherry was candid with his comments"

Nuh uh!

PS. Somehere at his summer cottage Don is trying to decide which towel he will present Kadri when he arrives.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

prediction: seguin will be lined up a couple times next season.. The contact will come to him. Should be interesting.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Here's something to watch with Seguin in the West: how many teams will simply line up their top line vs. Dallas's top line and let Seguin play head to head against their top C?  And how will he do playing against some of these guys who are either much larger and much stronger, or remarkably skilled defensively:

Toews, Thornton, Getzlaf, Kopitar, Koivu, Fisher, Backes, Little.

He could well struggle against these guys.  It will be fun to watch him against other high picks with high offensive upside, though - RNH, Duchene, MacKinnon.  He should have enough Julien-juice to win those matchups.

Are you not entertained?!?!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davinator. Show Davinator's posts

How can a hockey writer mistake a player's name for another?

He referred to Andrew Ference as Brad!?!

Although knowing Mr. Cherry's penchant for twisting names, he probably didn't notice...

On Seguin: Seguin must have had a face-to-face with Chiarelli right around Chiarelli's comment about 'acting more professional' and said something to trigger the trade...however, it is also possible that his primary goal was to try to unload Peverly's contract(at Stanley's advice) and Dallas insisted he include a young'n.

if the cap was not going down this year, PC could have let Seguin sort himself out a bit and give him time to grow up - but they may have still also had Peverly.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hanrahan1. Show Hanrahan1's posts

Apart from clothing I usually agree with Cherry on most things but  I don't agree with him on Seguin. Sequin was repeatedly getting into trouble and wouldn't change his 'lifestyle' despite warnings and how it affected his play. If I was one of those Bruins who played with injuries during the final I'd be pretty p*ssed at him too.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

Here's something to watch with Seguin in the West: how many teams will simply line up their top line vs. Dallas's top line and let Seguin play head to head against their top C?  And how will he do playing against some of these guys who are either much larger and much stronger, or remarkably skilled defensively:

Toews, Thornton, Getzlaf, Kopitar, Koivu, Fisher, Backes, Little.

He could well struggle against these guys.  It will be fun to watch him against other high picks with high offensive upside, though - RNH, Duchene, MacKinnon.  He should have enough Julien-juice to win those matchups.

on the other hand, i see some of those other top centers having trouble keeping up with Seguin's speed....  having Jamie Benn on your wing can't hurt either....

the kid'll be alright....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In response to Hanrahan1's comment:

Apart from clothing I usually agree with Cherry on most things but  I don't agree with him on Seguin. Sequin was repeatedly getting into trouble and wouldn't change his 'lifestyle' despite warnings and how it affected his play. If I was one of those Bruins who played with injuries during the final I'd be pretty p*ssed at him too.

Rick Middleton had a rep as bad or worse, and when he came to Boston, Cherry was the guy that had to deal with it.  We all know what happenned, and Don got a lot of credit for the type of player Middleton became.

Could be why he's saying what he is about Tyler.  I'm not against this deal, however, there is a huge, huge downside, if Seguin ever lives up to expectation.  35 years later, the Rangers are still haunted by that deal.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishfinger. Show fishfinger's posts

I don't think it would matter what TS did off the ice if he would have scored some goals in the playoffs they would not have traded him. Like Neely said a lot of factors played into them making the trade.

Unfortunatly his cap hit was one of them. Seguin is young he will be a good player and the Bruins probebly will regret trading him. I think a lot of the blame must go to PC for signing him to such a large contract which kind of forced him to make the trade when his production did not prove to be enough for his cap hit.

That being said i think the Bruins will be better next year because of the trade.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to days-of-Orr's comment:

on the other hand, i see some of those other top centers having trouble keeping up with Seguin's speed....  having Jamie Benn on your wing can't hurt either....

Perhaps playing center and with Benn on his line he won't feel the need to try so many one-on-three forays into the other end. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

"Don Cherry was candid with his comments"

Nuh uh!

PS. Somehere at his summer cottage Don is trying to decide which towel he will present Kadri when he arrives.

And plants another kiss on his cheek.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to stevegm's comment:

Rick Middleton had a rep as bad or worse, and when he came to Boston, Cherry was the guy that had to deal with it.  We all know what happenned, and Don got a lot of credit for the type of player Middleton became.

Could be why he's saying what he is about Tyler.  I'm not against this deal, however, there is a huge, huge downside, if Seguin ever lives up to expectation.  35 years later, the Rangers are still haunted by that deal.

The difference here, though, is that the Rangers dealt Middleton for a rapidly declining Ken Hodge.  If he had been able to maintain the same kind of production he had his first year in NY for another 5 years, and if the Rags had been able to get past the Canadiens in '79, I doubt it would hurt as much as it does.

I keep thinking of Brett Hull.  Not professional (read: fat, lazy) but immensely talented in Calgary, but they rode him out on a rail for Rob Ramage and a back goalie that ultimately helped the Flames win their only Cup in '89.  I don't remember hearing a lot of hue and cry over that deal after 1989 even though Ramage was almost pushed off the depth chart and left the next year, and the deal included no picks or futures.  In other words, if the Bruins win again, or are finalists again, the pain of Seguin eventually becoming an elite scorer will be blunted.

days-of-Orr - most of those guys can skate, and they're going to grind Seguin every chance they get - make him work his legs off for the puck.  And then, if he manages to race away, well, they're probably releasing him to the D and picking up the trailer.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:

In response to days-of-Orr's comment:

Perhaps playing center and with Benn on his line he won't feel the need to try so many one-on-three forays into the other end. 

Jim Nil said yesterday that Benn will be playing Center this season! Regardless of Shupe thinks. Seguin, Benn, Pevs & Eakin are the Centers the Stars will be going into training camp with. With Horcroft a specialty teams center & a winger. Whether that stays intact is unknown, but he was a guest on NHL Home Ice yesterday.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In response to stevegm's comment:

The difference here, though, is that the Rangers dealt Middleton for a rapidly declining Ken Hodge.  If he had been able to maintain the same kind of production he had his first year in NY for another 5 years, and if the Rags had been able to get past the Canadiens in '79, I doubt it would hurt as much as it does.

I keep thinking of Brett Hull.  Not professional (read: fat, lazy) but immensely talented in Calgary, but they rode him out on a rail for Rob Ramage and a back goalie that ultimately helped the Flames win their only Cup in '89.  I don't remember hearing a lot of hue and cry over that deal after 1989 even though Ramage was almost pushed off the depth chart and left the next year, and the deal included no picks or futures.  In other words, if the Bruins win again, or are finalists again, the pain of Seguin eventually becoming an elite scorer will be blunted.

days-of-Orr - most of those guys can skate, and they're going to grind Seguin every chance they get - make him work his legs off for the puck.  And then, if he manages to race away, well, they're probably releasing him to the D and picking up the trailer.

Ken Hodge has nothing to do with what I'm saying Book.  I'm merely speculating that the reason Grapes is so indifferent to this deal....could be,  because he took on someone with the same rep, and turned him around.  I think we'd have to agree,....no sugar coating it....the B's gave up on #19.

Cherry's talking out of his suit coat inferring he could work through that.  He wouldn't have given up just yet.

Speaking of Brett Hull...he played in Moncton, and I doubt at that time....there was one person on the planet who would've dared suggest he'd even be a marginal NHLer.  When he played in the AHL...the entire hockey industry gave Brett Hull a thumbs down.  Scarry when you associate that with Seguin.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

"35 years later, the Rangers are still haunted by that deal."

This is the sentence I was responding to.  My point was simply that they wouldn't be haunted if they had a Cup to show for the deal and Rick still didn't.  My point in bringing up Hull was that franchises have given up on players who go elsewhere and blow up to Hall of Famers.  If you win, almost any trade is validated.

As for Hull, his one year in the AHL he was third in goals, third in points, and miles ahead of anyone else on the team in scoring.  He'd put up outrageous total in JrA and at Minnesota-Duluth.  He was the son of the Golden Jet.  The year he was traded, playing with three guys who either topped or approached 50 goals (Loob, Nieuwendyk, Bullard), he still managed to be a point/game rookie on pace to top 40 goals.  The story you heard in Calgary was that he and Terry Crisp were at odds over, more or less, Hull's professionalism.  Lazy, didn't play defense, out of shape.  Likes a pop like his dad.  I don't think it's stretching credulity to say that you could see Hull's talent and go mad wishing he'd work to make the most of it, sort of the way some people read the Seguin deal.  The Blues seemed to think he might figure it out.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

Jim Nil said yesterday that Benn will be playing Center this season! Regardless of Shupe thinks. Seguin, Benn, Pevs & Eakin are the Centers the Stars will be going into training camp with. With Horcroft a specialty teams center & a winger. Whether that stays intact is unknown, but he was a guest on NHL Home Ice yesterday.

Thanks for the info, nite.  So he may yet be number one or two in the middle.  

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

"35 years later, the Rangers are still haunted by that deal."

This is the sentence I was responding to.  My point was simply that they wouldn't be haunted if they had a Cup to show for the deal and Rick still didn't.  My point in bringing up Hull was that franchises have given up on players who go elsewhere and blow up to Hall of Famers.  If you win, almost any trade is validated.

As for Hull, his one year in the AHL he was third in goals, third in points, and miles ahead of anyone else on the team in scoring.  He'd put up outrageous total in JrA and at Minnesota-Duluth.  He was the son of the Golden Jet.  The year he was traded, playing with three guys who either topped or approached 50 goals (Loob, Nieuwendyk, Bullard), he still managed to be a point/game rookie on pace to top 40 goals.  The story you heard in Calgary was that he and Terry Crisp were at odds over, more or less, Hull's professionalism.  Lazy, didn't play defense, out of shape.  Likes a pop like his dad.  I don't think it's stretching credulity to say that you could see Hull's talent and go mad wishing he'd work to make the most of it, sort of the way some people read the Seguin deal.  The Blues seemed to think he might figure it out.

A.  If your aunt had ba##s, she'd be your uncle.Wink

B.  Absolutely

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Let's hope Chiarelli's aunt grows a pair, then!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrr. Show NeelyOrr's posts

Bruins will be better this fall. Seguin will do fine in Dallas. Wht does everyone want him to fall on his face?

Sections
Shortcuts