Don Cherry slams Air Canada and Via Rail

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauly1. Show pauly1's posts

Don Cherry slams Air Canada and Via Rail

Tonight on Hockey night in Canada, he said Air Canada and Via Rail (both sponsors of pro hockey) should be ashamed of themselves for jumping on the band wagon after the chara hit, and suggested that Air Canada's corporate headquarters are in montreal is the key reason for there outcry.

Then he showed several videos of similar hits into the stanchion where no penalty's or suspensions where called.

He also suggested a solution to the stanchion problem, instead of having the stanchion straight up and down compared to the ice, have it on a 45 degree angle (and heavily padded)

This is just another reason I'm a Don Cherry backer.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

Re: Don Chery slams Air Canada and Via Rail

In Response to Don Chery slams Air Canada and Via Rail:
    [QUOTE]Tonight on Hockey night in Canada, he said Air Canada and Via Rail (both sponsors of pro hockey) should be ashamed of themselves for jumping on the band wagon after the chara hit, and suggested that Air Canada's corporate headquarters are in montreal is the key reason for there outcry. Then he showed several videos of similar hits into the stanchion where no penalty's or suspensions where called. He also suggested a solution to the stanchion problem, instead of having the stanchion straight up and down compared to the ice, have it on a 45 degree angle (and heavily padded) This is just another reason I'm a Don Cherry backer.
    Posted by pauly1[/QUOTE]
    Don was against those stanchions from the start & has said someday they'll regret having them there. He's said numerous things that they haven't listened to.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beezfan4life. Show Beezfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]Tonight on Hockey night in Canada, he said Air Canada and Via Rail (both sponsors of pro hockey) should be ashamed of themselves for jumping on the band wagon after the chara hit, and suggested that Air Canada's corporate headquarters are in montreal is the key reason for there outcry. Then he showed several videos of similar hits into the stanchion where no penalty's or suspensions where called. He also suggested a solution to the stanchion problem, instead of having the stanchion straight up and down compared to the ice, have it on a 45 degree angle (and heavily padded) This is just another reason I'm a Don Cherry backer.
    Posted by pauly1[/QUOTE]
    I liked the fact that he called out Air Canada and Via rail....but I was really hoping he would have let Stephen Harper, or Micheal Ignatief have it also.....lord knows they deserve it based on their comments regarding the HIT!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauly1. Show pauly1's posts

In Response to Re: Don Chery slams Air Canada and Via Rail:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Don Chery slams Air Canada and Via Rail : I liked the fact that he called out Air Canada and Via rail....but I was really hoping he would have let Stephen Harper, or Micheal Ignatief have it also.....lord knows they deserve it based on their comments regarding the HIT!
    Posted by Beezfan4life[/QUOTE] Coaches corner has a lmited time frame, you can bet cherry is not finnished with this nonsense.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Posted by pauly1[/QUOTE]

Absolutely!  He was in fine form on all points.  His lime green St.Patrick's Day-inspired ensemble was also at its retina-burning best.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from gardenbees. Show gardenbees's posts

Posted by pauly1[/QUOTE]

I also saw this piece on 'Hockey Night in Canada'.  Good for Grapes for calling them out.  Despite his lime-green suit, I thought he was spot on.  Air Canada is a bit arrogant.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Don Chery slams Air Canada and Via Rail : I also saw this peice on 'Hockey Night in Canada'.  Good for Grapes for calling them out.  Despite his lim-green suit, I thought he was spot on.  Air Canada is a bit arrogant.
    Posted by gardenbees[/QUOTE]

I also enojyed Bettman's response earlier in the week to Air Canada's rather pretentious statement.  He said "if they decide that they need to do other things with their sponsorship dollars, that is their prerogative, just that it is the prerogative of our clubs that fly on Air Canada to make other arrangements if they don't think Air Canada is not giving them the appropriate level of service."  Nice.

Click here to find out more!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauly1. Show pauly1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Don Chery slams Air Canada and Via Rail : I also enojyed Bettman's response earlier in the week to Air Canada's rather pretentious statement.  He said "if they decide that they need to do other things with their sponsorship dollars, that is their prerogative, just that it is the prerogative of our clubs that fly on Air Canada to make other arrangements if they don't think Air Canada is not giving them the appropriate level of service."  Nice.                
    Posted by RichHillOntario[/QUOTE] I must agree, bettmans response told the sponsors, were running the show not you.... Kudos to bettman.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Don Chery slams Air Canada and Via Rail : I must agree, bettmans response told the sponsors, were running the show not you.... Kudos to bettman.
    Posted by pauly1[/QUOTE]

Its not the first time Canadian government agencies have tried to stick their beaks into areas they have no business being in.  I have memories of back in the late 80's, in a game played at Maple Leaf Gardens, HOFer Dino Ciccarelli went after former Leaf defenceman Luke Richardson with his stick during a game. 

The result of this incident was completely outside the realm of the NHL.  Ciccarelli was convicted of assault, fined $1000.00 and sentenced to one day in jail.  The league, even with their history of spotty judgements, can manage their own affairs.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Via Rail & Air Canada are huge money losers . I can see why. I would think they would be better served by using their time more wisely. Like maybe coming up with a better business model. Just a thought. Sticking their nose in the N.H.L's business is just plain stupid. Where were these 2 corporate second raters when all the other heinous acts in the N.H.L were taking place ? But they think the time is now right to get involved over an interference penalty? What a pair of losers.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]Via Rail & Air Canada are huge money losers . I can see why. I would think they would be better served by using their time more wisely. Like maybe coming up with a better business model. Just a thought. Sticking their nose in the N.H.L's business is just plain stupid. Where were these 2 corporate second raters when all the other heinous acts in the N.H.L were taking place ? But they think the time is now right to get involved over an interference penalty? What a pair of losers.
    Posted by 50belowzero[/QUOTE]

Well said!  I'm also glad Cherry made note of Air Canada's head offices being in the city of Montreal.  That revelation makes their comments seem that much more of a pandering nature.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beezfan4life. Show Beezfan4life's posts

I'll bet after the way grapes gave Air Canada and Via Rail the middle finger tonite...the rage factor picked up a notch in intensity, in La belle province.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauly1. Show pauly1's posts

He also called out molson's (hab ice) for one of the most dangerous rinks in the league.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Canadien175. Show Canadien175's posts

Cherry hates the Habs more than you guys do, with better reason.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beezfan4life. Show Beezfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]Cherry hates the Habs more than you guys do, with better reason.
    Posted by Canadien175[/QUOTE]

I highly doubt Don Cherry hates the habs more than I do.....if he does....that is some serious hate!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from LUCICmilan17. Show LUCICmilan17's posts

Posted by pauly1[/QUOTE]

I saw coaches corner as well tonight and as always enjoyed hearing his take. Many people think he is just an old blow hard but the man tells it how it is and I agree with him most of the time. His suit and tie was also killer tonight! LONG LIVE GRAPES!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauly1. Show pauly1's posts

[QUOTE]Cherry hates the Habs more than you guys do, with better reason.
    Posted by Canadien175[/QUOTE] Comment with some facts, or go crawl back to montreal.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnnyV219. Show JohnnyV219's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Don Chery slams Air Canada and Via Rail : I also enojyed Bettman's response earlier in the week to Air Canada's rather pretentious statement.  He said "if they decide that they need to do other things with their sponsorship dollars, that is their prerogative, just that it is the prerogative of our clubs that fly on Air Canada to make other arrangements if they don't think Air Canada is not giving them the appropriate level of service."  Nice.                
    Posted by RichHillOntario[/QUOTE]

Yup..spoken like a true lawyer..

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from stingerjp. Show stingerjp's posts

Re: Don Cherry slams Air Canada and Via Rail

Good for Grapes! For those that follow this sport closely know that the guy is a straight shooter.  This entire situation is pretty cut and dried (unless you have your Habs blinders on). The entitlement of the fans and supporters up in MTL is amazing.  Discipline is not a one way street, unlike the officiating up in the Forum over the decades. 

One last point-don't think that Cherry is always in the B's corner- he had some pretty harsh criticism of LUcic a couple of years ago for tapping out of a fight in Tor. Point being- this guy judges things how it plays out on the ice, not from the color of the players sweater.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclemiltie42. Show unclemiltie42's posts

To watch Don Cherry go to www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/story,2011/03/12/sp-cherry-charahit.html Way to go Don!! 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Swerengen. Show Swerengen's posts

In Response to Re: Don Cherry slams Air Canada and Via Rail:
    [QUOTE]To watch Don Cherry go to www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/story,2011/03/12/sp-cherry-charahit.html Way to go Don!! 
    Posted by unclemiltie42[/QUOTE]

Well what do you know, it's not working.  Air Canada must have complained

Never fear, HD Youtube link is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIQ49TsJRGY&hd=1

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauly1. Show pauly1's posts

Once again I have to bow to Bettman, for telling Air Canada (in his way) to "shove it" were calling the shots.
    Like him or not, this guy has stones.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

lol.  And yeah, Don is right on this one.  So is Bettman.

In Response to Re: Don Cherry slams Air Canada and Via Rail:
    [QUOTE]if air canada bows out maybe stanchions r us will step in and fill the sponsor void?
    Posted by TheRealHomer[/QUOTE]