Don't Expect Many To Follow Kovy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Don't Expect Many To Follow Kovy

There was some chat about Kovalchuk's retirement from the NHL perhaps stimulating other Russian players to do something similar.  This article in the National Post suggests that's not likely to happen. 

Kovalchuk's voluntary retirement papers wiped out his chances of a return to the league because it would require him to sit out a year or get approval from all 30 teams.  This  makes it difficult to find players willing to remove the choice of the NHL from their future.  Plus his extraordinary situation had him no longer wanting to play in the league coupled with the Devils allowing him to go.  They crawl out from under his massive contract in the process.

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2013/07/13/dont-expect-many-nhlers-to-follow-ilya-kovalchuks-lead/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Re: Don't Expect Many To Follow Kovy

I could see Semin bolting after a couple a more years of Canes DNQ for the playoffs. He makes $7M a year, with how much gets taken out for US FED taxes and placed into escrow by the league...the difference in the KHL is so much higher.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

I could see Semin bolting after a couple a more years of Canes DNQ for the playoffs. He makes $7M a year, with how much gets taken out for US FED taxes and placed into escrow by the league...the difference in the KHL is so much higher.

He would be my first guess as well. And who knows, Bryzgalov may not have a choice but to go back to the homeland.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Oh, by the way, Burmistrov went back. He's a favorite of Dez.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

After spending X years in the NHL, I would certainly go home if I could make the same or more money.  Friends and family are a heck of a lot more important that being in the NHL.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

He would be my first guess as well. And who knows, Bryzgalov may not have a choice but to go back to the homeland.

He should waut for gas prices to go down. Trips to Venus can be pricey.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Oh, by the way, Burmistrov went back. He's a favorite of Dez.

I probably won't follow his career much anymore though. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

i could see ovi doing it.   Hes pro home land.   

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

i could see ovi doing it.   Hes pro home land.   

Yeah and his lady is from there as well as their families. It wouldn't surprise me either. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

After spending X years in the NHL, I would certainly go home if I could make the same or more money.  Friends and family are a heck of a lot more important that being in the NHL.

Agreed completely. Look at on the flipside - if the Leafs offered Kevin Dallman (he's from Niagara) the same amount of money he's making in St. Petersburg, you don't think he'd jump at it? I know it's an odd comparison, given Dallman's previous lack of success with the B's or Kings, but he's been putting up all-star numbers in the KHL the last 5 years. So if the Leafs offered him a similar contract, don't you think he'd jump at a chance to play in front of his friends and family? Same thing with Kovy.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

I don't know how legit the information is but I've read reports of some KHL arenas being half-empty for games.  If this is so where does the revenue come from to pay Kovalchuk's new deal and Radulov's $9 million per?  The situation would seem to be contradictory.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

He should waut for gas prices to go down. Trips to Venus can be pricey.

Yup.

http://youtu.be/3jf9SKvnAmI

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:

I don't know how legit the information is but I've read reports of some KHL arenas being half-empty for games.  If this is so where does the revenue come from to pay Kovalchuk's new deal and Radulov's $9 million per?  The situation would seem to be contradictory.

The Gov't helps to pay the salaries & the players only get charged 13% tax on their income. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Bingo, I think Japan and China when I read that comment!  Excellent view!

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

The Gov't helps to pay the salaries & the players only get charged 13% tax on their income. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

Hence goodbye Kovalchuk, Radulov and Burmistov.  Mind you, playing in your home country in front of family and friends can't hurt either.  Cheers, nite!

Sections
Shortcuts