Doug Hamilton = Larry Murphy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Re: Doug Hamilton = Larry Murphy

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

I just sit here hoping that we're not seeing a hot streak.  I hope this is what we'll get all season long, because I'm a little stunned at how smooth and effective he's been, in every way.  It's awesome.

Anyone wanna talk about Kessel?

Sure Fletch, why not? I just watched a segment on Hockey Central where the discussion centered around the fact that Phil is still scoreless and whether or not (when) he gets dealt. He's now in the last year of his deal and it would seem he'd take less cash to play elsewhere if he reaches UFA status. The trouble with dealing him now is the fact his value is very low at the moment. I'd actually like to see him turn it around so the Leafs can get something for him before he eventually bolts to Minnesota.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

I just sit here hoping that we're not seeing a hot streak.  I hope this is what we'll get all season long, because I'm a little stunned at how smooth and effective he's been, in every way.  It's awesome.

No, but I wanna talk about Seguin. I think last night was his most difficult. The Canes really pressured him every time he went near the puck. He had a couple of chances early, but then pretty much got shut-down. I think he was pressing & trying to do a little too much as well. Lets see how he is now that he got his first goal. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dougie_Spamilton. Show Dougie_Spamilton's posts

Seguin will continue to struggle until he stops completely shying away from any and all physical contact. I know Dougie is like 6'5, but I don't think he weighs over 200 lbs yet, and he doesn't quite have the reputation of a banger, but after five games he already looks miles ahead of Seguin in terms of willingness to "take the body."

It must be all mental with Seguin, because I saw him in person at the movie theatre at Fenway about a week before the season, and he is very big compared to your average guy.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

[QUOTE]In response to RockScully's comment:

I seriously cannot think of a right handed D Man with that kind of passing skill and on ice presence.

Murphy had 76 points as a rookie in the early 1980s.   He may not have been a good skater, but he could pass and see the ice from the back end.

It's why I posed the question. Can anyone name a right handed D Man as mature as this so early?

Adam Foote evolved into a nice 2 way D Man, but seriously. It's a short list the last 30 years if you rack your brain. Shea Weber.

Another former Ice Dog Pietrangelo is good and has been for awhile now. He only turned 23 last week and already has 104 points in 183 games. Not bad numbers considering he was playing in the 2010 OHL playoffs.  

I saw Larry Murphy's rookie season in Los Angeles, I remember him quite well. He was outstanding and then his sophomore season, it was a tragic downfall. He coughed up the puck, we booed him in Section 22 (went to at least 20-25 games a year back then), and he eventually became a Wideman in that he just was terrible defensively, shaky nearly every time he took the puck up ice. Then after he was traded, somewhere along the line, he developed into a superb defensive defenseman, and then a Hall of Famer. It was a complete changeover that Murphy exhibited--few did what he did in terms of changing his game so uniquely. He also happened to play on some great teams--not to take away from his play on those Cup teams. I still can't believe Murphy played in the NHL as long as he did. He had a better career than Glen Wesley, who I still think positionly was one of the best defensemen I've had the pleasure of watching in action. 

Dougie Hamilton--2 plays make him unique...the pass on the winning goal, the fact that he was on the ice in the last 2 minutes and his poise on the play. He coughed up the puck on one play and in a lightning second, got back and sweeped the puck one-handed away from an on-rushing Carolina forward near center ice...The guy looks like a 10-year veteran and sky's the limit. He's a real deal and Julien already has diminished minutes for Ference/Boychuk to accomodate the guy's productive play. Also, not that it matters but Johnson made a couple of hard-hitting checks. B's are loaded at D-man. 

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

Let me say, RockScully, Hamilton does have a semblence of similarity to Larry Murphy from what I can remember. But Dougie is clearly beyond Larry.

As a matter of fact, I suggest that Hamilton will become a new and improved version of Nick Lidstrom - a Lidstrom plus.

And since we have the new and improved version of Yzerman in Seguin, we can look forward to at least five Cups in the near and far future.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to Dougie_Spamilton's comment:

Seguin will continue to struggle until he stops completely shying away from any and all physical contact. I know Dougie is like 6'5, but I don't think he weighs over 200 lbs yet, and he doesn't quite have the reputation of a banger, but after five games he already looks miles ahead of Seguin in terms of willingness to "take the body."

It must be all mental with Seguin, because I saw him in person at the movie theatre at Fenway about a week before the season, and he is very big compared to your average guy.

Nah, I don't think hitting is the missing piece for Seguin.  Speed, skill, and creativity are what he's all about.  I think he's still adjusting to being back in the big pond, with lots of great defensive players smothering him.  I think he's trying to do a little too much, and he's just failed to finish in a couple cases so far.  That won't last.

Hamilton is a defensmen, where hitting and taking the body is much, much more important.  And he's bigger.  Hamilton needs to play physical, Seguin doesn't, really.  Just keep getting chances and using his speed.  I predict that when the goals come, they'll come in bunches.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Sure Fletch, why not? I just watched a segment on Hockey Central where the discussion centered around the fact that Phil is still scoreless and whether or not (when) he gets dealt. He's now in the last year of his deal and it would seem he'd take less cash to play elsewhere if he reaches UFA status. The trouble with dealing him now is the fact his value is very low at the moment. I'd actually like to see him turn it around so the Leafs can get something for him before he eventually bolts to Minnesota.

[/QUOTE]

Well said.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from heyoo. Show heyoo's posts

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:

It's why I posed the question. Can anyone name a right handed D Man as mature as this so early?

Adam Foote evolved into a nice 2 way D Man, but seriously. It's a short list the last 30 years if you rack your brain. Shea Weber.

What about Tyler Myers in his rookie year? 

[/QUOTE]

Adam Larrson the year he was drafted was 19 and he jumped right into the nhl Game. He posted good numbers as well. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to RockScully's comment:

Adam Foote was nothing like these other guys and was never regarded as a good offensive guy.  He was a really good d-man on a really good team, but he was all defense.  Not a great skater and rarely out on the powerplay.  Not a very good shot either.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to heyoo's comment:

Adam Larrson the year he was drafted was 19 and he jumped right into the nhl Game. He posted good numbers as well. 

[/QUOTE]

Larsson has been a turnstile in the NHL and he was disappointing in the AHL this year too. He currently watches the NJ games from upstairs as a healthy scratch.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

You're missing my point.  So far, I've been correct.  No one can name a right handed shot 19 year old kid who looks as calm and collected out of the gate in his career.

Of course Foote wasn't an uber talented 19 year old. 

Me fishing for names proves my point.  The best I could do was Larry Murphy and the skill set isn't a direct match.

Drew Doughty played on Team Canada at 19.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

as I said in a previous post, Claude Julien is still putting this kid out against the weakest players that the opponents Have to offer. For the season, he's faced the lowest quality-of-competition of any defensemen on the Bruins.

Gonna have to see how he fares against the big boys before we start comparing him to hall-of-famers.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I'm loving his play, but after just 5 games, isn't it a little premature to be comparing him to an HHOFer?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Murphy was a fine player, but I see no similarities between Murphy and Hamilton besides them being right-shot defenders with offensive skill.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

In response to OatesCam's comment:

Murphy was a fine player, but I see no similarities between Murphy and Hamilton besides them being right-shot defenders with offensive skill.

The OP is BBR/RWTK.  I wouldn't pay too much attention to anything he says.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from heyoo. Show heyoo's posts

Larsson has been a turnstile in the NHL and he was disappointing in the AHL this year too. He currently watches the NJ games from upstairs as a healthy scratch.

[/QUOTE]

I only saw him play in one ahl game this season but he looked good too me. His numbers are good in the ahl. As for why he is not starting that is between him and the coach in his first season in the nhl he was one of the more reliable rookies in the league. In fact he played good minutes in his first season with the devils. The devils have been playing solid hockey they are 2nd in the league for gaa, so maybe the kid had a big mouth or something and the coach wanted to put him in his place. I dont know why you would sit a talented player like him for the first five games of the season something had to happen. He is better than at least 3 of the dmen starting for the devils right now. Could be a injury or something the team is not disclosing.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[/QUOTE]

I only saw him play in one ahl game this season but he looked good too me. His numbers are good in the ahl. As for why he is not starting that is between him and the coach in his first season in the nhl he was one of the more reliable rookies in the league. In fact he played good minutes in his first season with the devils. The devils have been playing solid hockey they are 2nd in the league for gaa, so maybe the kid had a big mouth or something and the coach wanted to put him in his place. I dont know why you would sit a talented player like him for the first five games of the season something had to happen. He is better than at least 3 of the dmen starting for the devils right now. Could be a injury or something the team is not disclosing.

[/QUOTE]

He's simply not as reliable as the players in front of him. He was also scratched for most of the playoffs. He only played when someone was hurt. Scouts are wondering what happenned to this kid since he got drafted. Hamilton has improved since whereas Larsson has taken a step back.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from heyoo. Show heyoo's posts

[/QUOTE]

He's simply not as reliable as the players in front of him. He was also scratched for most of the playoffs. He only played when someone was hurt. Scouts are wondering what happenned to this kid since he got drafted. Hamilton has improved since whereas Larsson has taken a step back.

[/QUOTE]

Interesting did not know about the playoffs until I looked it up. After the first round he was on the bench, he must blow covereage a lot. Hopefully he gets his stuff together he is a talented player. But yes Hamilton has produced better than I could have dreamed for in the first 5 games, lets hope he keeps it up. What a steal he would be since we basically were going to draft whoever fell to us. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[/QUOTE]

Interesting did not know about the playoffs until I looked it up. After the first round he was on the bench, he must blow covereage a lot. Hopefully he gets his stuff together he is a talented player. But yes Hamilton has produced better than I could have dreamed for in the first 5 games, lets hope he keeps it up. What a steal he would be since we basically were going to draft whoever fell to us. 

[/QUOTE]

Larsson is actually a cautionary tale for those of us who are ready to nominate Hamilton for the HOF. I've no doubt there were many Devils fans that felt the same about Larsson early on as we all do about Dougie now. I'm with you on Larsson though. I'd like to see him get back on track. He's got size and skills so the base for success is there.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to Wheatskins' comment:

Let me say, RockScully, Hamilton does have a semblence of similarity to Larry Murphy from what I can remember. But Dougie is clearly beyond Larry.

As a matter of fact, I suggest that Hamilton will become a new and improved version of Nick Lidstrom - a Lidstrom plus.

And since we have the new and improved version of Yzerman in Seguin, we can look forward to at least five Cups in the near and far future.

Seguin is an "improved version" of Yzerman?

Hamilton is an "improved version of Nick Lidstrom- a Lidstrom plus"?

Wow.

I'd show my cousin in Michigan this but I'm afraid he'd die laughing.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

No, but I wanna talk about Seguin. I think last night was his most difficult. The Canes really pressured him every time he went near the puck. He had a couple of chances early, but then pretty much got shut-down. I think he was pressing & trying to do a little too much as well. Lets see how he is now that he got his first goal. 

Not to threadjac, but I thought Seguin played very physical against Carolina. I liked what I saw in that game. Don't know how he was in the earlier games as I didn't see much of them -- listened on the radio. He doesn'thave to be physical like Lucic needs to be. Speed and creativity is his strengths. But he does need to be physical enough to grinde things out in tough times to keep teams honest.

As for Hamilton -- I'm impressed. I'll leave it like that and not compare him to anyone.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Adam Foote was nothing like these other guys and was never regarded as a good offensive guy.  He was a really good d-man on a really good team, but he was all defense.  Not a great skater and rarely out on the powerplay.  Not a very good shot either.

You're missing my point.  So far, I've been correct.  No one can name a right handed shot 19 year old kid who looks as calm and collected out of the gate in his career.

Of course Foote wasn't an uber talented 19 year old. 

Me fishing for names proves my point.  The best I could do was Larry Murphy and the skill set isn't a direct match.

No, you referred to Foote as a 'nice two-way player', which he wasn't.  That was the point. I put that in bold for you to make it perfectly clear what I was referring to.

Have a look at Doughty, Pietrangelo, or even Bogosian as yound d-men who stuck right away.  I think Bogo has almost regressed, but those guy were solid, if not productive as very young rookies.

Anyway, whatever.  Hamilton looks great so far.  Who cares about the perfect comparable?

Sections
Shortcuts