Doug Hamilton = Larry Murphy

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Re: Doug Hamilton = Larry Murphy

Doughty,Weber,Pieterangelo,Subban...Thats in the last 5-6 years..Dougie Hamilton comes along and people act like they've never seen a right handed shooting defenseman that is young and talented.

Larry Murphy was a very good defenseman, but overall I'd take Al Macinnis.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

In response to Wheatskins' comment:

Let me say, RockScully, Hamilton does have a semblence of similarity to Larry Murphy from what I can remember. But Dougie is clearly beyond Larry.

As a matter of fact, I suggest that Hamilton will become a new and improved version of Nick Lidstrom - a Lidstrom plus.

And since we have the new and improved version of Yzerman in Seguin, we can look forward to at least five Cups in the near and far future.

Seguin is an "improved version" of Yzerman?

Hamilton is an "improved version of Nick Lidstrom- a Lidstrom plus"?

Wow.

I'd show my cousin in Michigan this but I'm afraid he'd die laughing.

I'm glad someone else seen this too. A head shaker.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to RockScully's comment:

Doughty,Weber,Pieterangelo,Subban...Thats in the last 5-6 years..Dougie Hamilton comes along and people act like they've never seen a right handed shooting defenseman that is young and talented.

Larry Murphy was a very good defenseman, but overall I'd take Al Macinnis.

MacInnis!  See, this is what I was looking for. Forgot about him.  Huge shot, obvioiusly.   Good choice.

I also didn't realize Doughty and Weber were 19 year old rookies.

Doughty was a 19 year old rookie, born in 89 came up in 08.Weber was 20, Just by a couple months. But MacInnis is known for the big shot, but he was actually a pretty well rounded d-man, not right off the bat, but he developed into one. Having Pronger probably didnt hurt.
    I do hesitate to call Foote a two way defenseman, very solid in his own end, just my opinion.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Doughty was a 19 year old rookie, born in 89 came up in 08.Weber was 20, Just by a couple months. But MacInnis is known for the big shot, but he was actually a pretty well rounded d-man, not right off the bat, but he developed into one. Having Pronger probably didnt hurt.
    I do hesitate to call Foote a two way defenseman, very solid in his own end, just my opinion.

I'm confused Kel. How does Pronger relate to Al McInnis? You aren't suggesting Pronger made Al better are you?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

I'm confused Kel. How does Pronger relate to Al McInnis? You aren't suggesting Pronger made Al better are you?

Not at all. i think playing witih someone like Pronger or Chara forces you to be better defensivley since they are going to attack your side more often. I dont think MacInnis got enough credit for his defensive work. Most people think of him and they think of the shot when in reality, he was pretty steady.

If anything, playing with one of those two is probably harder.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

Not at all. i think playing witih someone like Pronger or Chara forces you to be better defensivley since they are going to attack your side more often. I dont think MacInnis got enough credit for his defensive work. Most people think of him and they think of the shot when in reality, he was pretty steady.

If anything, playing with one of those two is probably harder.

MacInnis was actually in decline during his time in St. Louis (still very good). He was a hell of a player in Calgary. I kind of forgot how long he played for St. Louis actually. I always think of him as a Flame. Al had 68 points in his last full season ( his 20th). Wow!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Good Gawd! Hamilton has looked fantastic IN HIS 6 NHL GAMES!! Trying to compare him to any type of HOF is crazy.

And I called my buddy Matthew & told him how it's being said how great of a two way d-man Foote was in the Boston Bruins forum. He laughed & asked what the heck are those people putting in their clam chowder! Great defenseman in his zone, strong as an ox, super great leader on & off the ice. Wasn't terrible in the offensive zone, but it certainly wasn't his forte'. That's coming from the once assistant now head trainer of the Nordique's & Avalanche organization since 1995. And I need to add a super class guy. I met him & had few pops with him a few times. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Well, we disagree. Foote was a two way defenseman. He was solid in both areas.

Doughty is a good choice.   THis thread was intended for people to draw in names to show how many of the 19 year old rookies have looked as impressive so early on, out of the gate. 

This board is still the same, I see.  A bunch of nitpicking fanboys dancing around looking to argue. The point stands.  It's a very short list of 19 year old right handed, offensive minded who have looked that comfortable immediately.

[/QUOTE]

So you ask people for names of comparables, people respond with them, and then you get bent and insult them?  Don't ask the question if you don't want answers.  I don't know if each guy has the same zodiac signs as Hamilton or not, but plenty of rookie defensemen have looked smooth in their first 5 games.  And people have listed them for you.

I've lived in Denver for 11 years and have seen most Avs games during that period.  Adam Foote was never regarded as a two-way defensemen.  He was a classic stay-at-home, rugged defensemen who was a force in his own end.  Practically never saw the powerplay.  Nothing like Hamilton at all.  Sorry, not nitpicking, just telling you the truth.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

Good Gawd! Hamilton has looked fantastic IN HIS 6 NHL GAMES!! Trying to compare him to any type of HOF is crazy.

And I called my buddy Matthew & told him how it's being said how great of a two way d-man Foote was in the Boston Bruins forum. He laughed & asked what the heck are those people putting in their clam chowder! Great defenseman in his zone, strong as an ox, super great leader on & off the ice. Wasn't terrible in the offensive zone, but it certainly wasn't his forte'. That's coming from the once assistant now head trainer of the Nordique's & Avalanche organization since 1995. And I need to add a super class guy. I met him & had few pops with him a few times. 

Thank you.  Your friend is exactly right.

Did a shot of Jager with Foote one night, no lie.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

Thank you.  Your friend is exactly right.

Did a shot of Jager with Foote one night, no lie.

That's awesome Fletch! One of the best things about pro hockey players is how down to earth they are. Most of them are extremely humble & they don't act all high & mighty! The only player's that I have had a bad experience with as far as an NHL player was Mr.  'Dion don't take pictures!" Phaneuf & My buddy knocked out Donald Brashear one night, because he was being a dichead. Other than that they've always been great with me, or my kids.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Edit: Weber was 20.   Hamiton 19, Doughty 18.

Short list.

Larry Murphy was 19. MacInnis 19.

Ha, I've never seen someone get so bitter about people giving them the information they were asking for.

Plenty of very good teenage debuts mentioned here.  Why on earth do you care if they are right or left handed (other than to exclude people you hadn't thought of)?

Bourque and Orr are a few that come to mind for Bruins fans.  Brian Leetch is another.

I think Alex Pietrangelo is an excellent comparable for Hamilton in general, although you'll probably throw him out because he didn't have the exact same 5 game entry to the league as Hamilton and isn't an Aquarius.

But seriously, if you're actually looking for a good comparable, Pietrangelo is similar in size, right-hand shot, made the NHL as a teenager, and plays a similar game.  We should be very happy if Hamilton's development takes the same trajectory.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Well, we disagree. Foote was a two way defenseman. He was solid in both areas.

Doughty is a good choice.   THis thread was intended for people to draw in names to show how many of the 19 year old rookies have looked as impressive so early on, out of the gate. 

This board is still the same, I see.  A bunch of nitpicking fanboys dancing around looking to argue. The point stands.  It's a very short list of 19 year old right handed, offensive minded who have looked that comfortable immediately.

So you ask people for names of comparables, people respond with them, and then you get bent and insult them?  Don't ask the question if you don't want answers.  I don't know if each guy has the same zodiac signs as Hamilton or not, but plenty of rookie defensemen have looked smooth in their first 5 games.  And people have listed them for you.

I've lived in Denver for 11 years and have seen most Avs games during that period.  Adam Foote was never regarded as a two-way defensemen.  He was a classic stay-at-home, rugged defensemen who was a force in his own end.  Practically never saw the powerplay.  Nothing like Hamilton at all.  Sorry, not nitpicking, just telling you the truth.

How did I insult anyone?

[/QUOTE]

Again, if you scroll up and read the bold parts it will help you understand.

But most importantly, I agree that Hamilton looks special.  Not unprecedented, and not a Hall of Fame comparable yet, but really good.  Let's just enjoy it and hope he keeps getting better.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucdufour. Show lucdufour's posts

Best part about Hamilton besides his vision is the way he gets pucks to the net.  In this era where blocking shots is the norm for most forwards, he possesses the quick release (short windup) combined with velocity necessary to constantly get pucks through from the point. I'd say only Shea Weber of those other 18-20 year olds mentioned does this as quick as Dougie does now but Weber does not have the vision Dougie has.  

Chara could learn from the kid in this area as it seems like it takes forever for him to unload his cannon OR he passes the opportunity up knowing it will get blocked. 

To answer the poll question is difficult just because of Dougie's sheer size.   Weber at 6'4", Rob Blake at 6'4" (who also had some good early years coming in at 20), and Phaneuf 6'3" (who had a better rookie year than all that were mentioned) are the only ones at 18-20 who come close to Dougie's height.  Even so, all of these guys have much less "vision" then Dougie and play a more physical style.    In short, Dougie is in a league of his own at 19. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I don't really care if they are right or left handed, but I can name far more legendary left handed D men than right handed. From a historical perspective, it's just interesting.

Fair enough.  What do you think about Pietrangelo?  I think he's a very good comparable for Hamilton.  He started with a smaller taste of the NHL for his first season or two, but seems similar in every other way...hopefully...those are big shoes to fill for Hamilton. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I don't really care if they are right or left handed, but I can name far more legendary left handed D men than right handed. From a historical perspective, it's just interesting.

Fair enough.  What do you think about Pietrangelo?  I think he's a very good comparable for Hamilton.  He started with a smaller taste of the NHL for his first season or two, but seems similar in every other way...hopefully...those are big shoes to fill for Hamilton. 

Pietrangelo didn't come in with quite the impact that Hamilton has, but good lord is he a terrific young defenseman. If Hamilton progression mirrors his, I'd be very happy. Gotta give Hitchcock some credit here, he recognized the talent and gave him more ice-time and responsibilty...

23. This post has been removed.