Doug Hamilton

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mik802. Show mik802's posts

Doug Hamilton

anyone know how he looked at camp today just curious havent heard anything?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Doug Hamilton

I don't, but I do love seeing "Doug"!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

ie was just fine!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In Response to Re: Doug Hamilton:
    [QUOTE]I don't, but I do love seeing "Doug"!
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]
    How about we call him Doug E. Hamilton from now on.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucicfan. Show lucicfan's posts

Nesn has this.

http://www.nesn.com/2011/07/dougie-hamilton-makes-strong-first-impression-at-bruins-development-camp.html

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MDsizzle. Show MDsizzle's posts

Who is doug Hamilton?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]Who is doug Hamilton?
    Posted by MDsizzle[/QUOTE]

The Bruins first round pick (via Toronto) in the 2011 draft.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

When guys are on sports teams their teammates often call them Kenny, Dougie, Billy and Mikey rather than Ken, Doug, Bill and Mike.  I do agree that usually their name when it is written in the line-up or paper is Doug or Bill rather than Dougie or Billy. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Doug Hamilton : How about we call him Doug E. Hamilton from now on.
    Posted by 50belowzero[/QUOTE]

Slow off-season around here.  IF he plays well, scores goals, prevents goals, call him anything you like.  It makes absolutely zero difference to my enjoyment of watching him play. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mik802. Show mik802's posts

teach me how to dougie?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Awry. Show Awry's posts

....and Bob Orr?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prob2236. Show prob2236's posts

I dont know how hes played but he still looks like a 12 year old, baby faced, mark!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]....and Bob Orr?
    Posted by Awry[/QUOTE]
    Awry, good point. No one seemed to mind Gilmour being a Dougie either. Bobby Clarke is another one that comes to mind.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Bobby Hull, Bobby Orr, Bobby Clarke, Bobby Baun, Billy Smith, Stevie Y, Scotty Bowman, Willie O'Ree, Willie Mitchell, Johnny Bucyk, Johnny Bower, Johnny Boychuk, Bobby Carpenter, Scottie Upshall, Gordie Howe... I could go on.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

These are all good points...but there is something about 'Dougie' that bugs me too...maybe it's because he's supposed to be an intimidating defensemen (I know, Orr...).

Bobby Orr - ok
    Scotty Bowman - ok
    Ricky Henderson - ok
    Dougie (Anyone) - sounds a little too cute for a grown man.

I don't know why.  Don't ask.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

How will everyone be when his teammates refer to him as Hammie?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

I'm going with Douglas.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]These are all good points...but there is something about 'Dougie' that bugs me too...maybe it's because he's supposed to be an intimidating defensemen (I know, Orr...). Bobby Orr - ok Scotty Bowman - ok Ricky Henderson - ok Dougie (Anyone) - sounds a little too cute for a grown man. I don't know why.  Don't ask.
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

To each their own. To me Dougie doesn't sound any less "manly" than any of the names I posted above, and I think 11 of those players are in the hall of fame, wth a few Orders of Canada thrown in as well. But I gues it's just a matter of taste.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

[QUOTE]Bobby Hull, Bobby Orr, Bobby Clarke, Bobby Baun, Billy Smith, Stevie Y, Scotty Bowman, Willie O'Ree, Willie Mitchell, Johnny Bucyk, Johnny Bower, Johnny Boychuk, Bobby Carpenter, Scottie Upshall, Gordie Howe... I could go on.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

True, there are lots of names ending in y or ie, and with many of them it's fine. I do have to admit that Dougie somehow sounds more childish and silly than Bobby, Billy, Johnny, etc. At least to me.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Doug Hamilton : True, there are lots of names ending in y or ie, and with many of them it's fine. I do have to admit that Dougie somehow sounds more childish and silly than Bobby, Billy, Johnny, etc. At least to me.
    Posted by WalkTheLine[/QUOTE]

Maybe it's just somethng we have to get used to. I don't know about you, but Woodrow Dumart, Robert Orr, Terence O'Reilly, and Edward Shore just don't sound right to me. Maybe in a few years we'll feel the same way about Douglas Hamilton.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from wesman. Show wesman's posts

How about "Hammer?"  That's a name he could grow into.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Doug Hamilton : To each their own. To me Dougie doesn't sound any less "manly" than any of the names I posted above, and I think 11 of those players are in the hall of fame, wth a few Orders of Canada thrown in as well. But I gues it's just a matter of taste.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

Indeed.  But, it isn't so much about being 'manly' enough that irks me.  I wouldn't quarrel with Kelly Chase or Darcy Hordichuk about their typically feminine first names. 

It's more that the name 'Dougie' just conjuers up an image of a child playing in a sandbox, who's mother wants him to sound extra cute, so she calls him 'Dougie'.  What's wrong with Doug?  It sounds childish for some reason, like he is showing up at summer camp, not an NHL practice.  Time to spit out the lolly-pop, quit trying to be cute, and play some big boy hockey.  Retire 'Dougie' along with your spiderman pajamas.

And, I realize how absurdly judgmental this all is.  It's a slow, boring Friday and Fletchie has nothing interesting to debate.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ddd112273. Show ddd112273's posts

Call him Howser!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Doug Hamilton : Indeed.  But, it isn't so much about being 'manly' enough that irks me.  I wouldn't quarrel with Kelly Chase or Darcy Hordichuk about their typically feminine first names.  It's more that the name 'Dougie' just conjuers up an image of a child playing in a sandbox, who's mother wants him to sound extra cute, so she calls him 'Dougie'.  What's wrong with Doug?  It sounds childish for some reason, like he is showing up at summer camp, not an NHL practice.  Time to spit out the lolly-pop, quit trying to be cute, and play some big boy hockey.  Retire 'Dougie' along with your spiderman pajamas. And, I realize how absurdly judgmental this all is.  It's a slow, boring Friday and Fletchie has nothing interesting to debate.
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

That's exactly why I don't like it.  Some are common (Johnny for example) but Dougie is not.  Mikey is common, so is Marky, but I don't know any grown men that call themselves that.  Mikey Green?  Marky Howe?  No.  Gordie, which is a common form of Gordon is normal.  Robert is commonly Bob, Rob, Bobby, Robby.  Doug is the shortened version of Douglas.  Dougie is just not a man's name.

Sections
Shortcuts