Dougie Hamilton 10 Game Suspension.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

Re: Dougie Hamilton 10 Game Suspension.

In Response to Re: Dougie Hamilton 10 Game Suspension.:
    [QUOTE]Yea, his head was down entering the O-zone.  But, Doug should have known he was in a vulnerble position. I think if he took the same hit from a defensemen stepping up it would have been called a legal hit.  The key element was it was a hit to the head from back-pressure.
    Posted by bim09[/QUOTE]

You know Bim, I don't know if there is a specification differentiating a hit from back pressure or not, but there probably should be. 

Also you say he enterd the zone with his head down.  I am not sure he picked his head up one time in the whole segment.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

It's not as bad as I assumed it would be, however, it's not reasonable to compare suspensions between pro and amateur levels.  Cleaning up the game(regarding head injury) has to start at the lower levels.
    This is a very, very strict precedent, but I have no problem with it.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I never question Jr. suspensions.  Dave Branch is willing and able to throw guys out of amateur hockey for bad hits.  Even though some of these guys are able to ride around Sudbury or the Sault on fat wallets as first round picks, they are still playing in a league where a lot of guys are not soon to be pros, they're just somebody's kid playing the sport at the highest level he can before he goes to college or gets a job or heads back to the family farm.  Branch has to protect those kids' health first and the first round pick's economic future second.  So no, there's no reasonable way to compare the length of an NHL suspension to this and say "oh, he should only have to sit 3 games."

If the league says DH sits ten games, I don't even need to see the video.  Sit down.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

This is completely irrelevant. Why are you talking about Vancouver?  Also, this player was still the closest to the puck when checked, and a different Bruin had the puck when Horton was hit.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dougie Hamilton 10 Game Suspension. : If you thought Rome deserved a 4-game suspension during the Cup Finals for the  hit on Horton, you can't complain about a 10-game regular season suspension for Hamilton's hit.
    Posted by 49-North[/QUOTE]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

As for this kind of ruling "taking hitting out of the game" - I call BS.  If you're old enough to remember when players didn't wear helmets, tell me - how often did guys get hit in the head back in the day?  And was there hitting?

Yeah, I know the game moves much faster and yeah, guys still got hit in the head and the hitting was less about the crushing blow than it is now.  But...so?  There were a lot fewer hits to the head (other than punches and arm action elbows as opposed to the point of the missle elbows we see now).  There was a lot of hitting.  You can't say that punishing guys for hitting to the head will take hitting out of the game - it might change the nature of the hitting, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I thought Hamilton's hit was worse than Kuhnackle's and he got 25 games...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

This hit was unnecessary violence. That is what leagues are trying to remove from hockey.  When Hamilton hit the guy he was no longer an offensive threat- he was already well defended.  The goal of hitting should be defence and not to hurt someone.  The guy's head was down, and Hamilton was, I think, the third defender in, and the point of impact was the head.  Easily it should be a suspension.  In the NHL it probably would have been a 5 gamer, but in the OHL ALL head shots are banned, and these are teenagers who need to be protected.  A few years ago this wouldn't have been a penalty and players were encouraged to pound an opponent when possible.  The game is changing, and for the better.  It is perfectly entertaining without attempts to injure.  I don't think Dougie is a bad person for throwing the hit, but he needs to learn that there is no need for this.  10 game suspension is appropriate.  Too bad, he was racking up some awesome stats.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Yup.  The kind of hitting we have seen the last few years is a relatively modern thing.  If you go back and watch games as recently as from the 80's there is actually very little running and charging. Lots of stick work, players get rubbed out and occasionally there is an open-ice collision, but the really hard hits into the boards and to heads being a regular thing started in the 90's.  Saying that big hard hits is old-time hockey is not quite true.  Penalties used to be called for boarding and charging far more frequently.

[QUOTE]As for this kind of ruling "taking hitting out of the game" - I call BS.  If you're old enough to remember when players didn't wear helmets, tell me - how often did guys get hit in the head back in the day?  And was there hitting? Yeah, I know the game moves much faster and yeah, guys still got hit in the head and the hitting was less about the crushing blow than it is now.  But...so?  There were a lot fewer hits to the head (other than punches and arm action elbows as opposed to the point of the missle elbows we see now).  There was a lot of hitting.  You can't say that punishing guys for hitting to the head will take hitting out of the game - it might change the nature of the hitting, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

In Dougie's defence, this wasn't an elbow.  It was a shoulder hit.  It just looks like an elbow because he raises his elbow in the follow-through.  But still an unnecessary hit that can injure.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mario11. Show mario11's posts

Sure it deserves a suspension but 15% of the season? seems a bit overboard, 5 games tops

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from orr4neely8. Show orr4neely8's posts

They are cracking down on hits like that so the message was sent. Now he will know OK I can't do that. The ruling was steep but hopefully he will be doing these things in bruins nation.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Yea, his head was down entering the O-zone.  But, Doug should have known he was in a vulnerble position. I think if he took the same hit from a defensemen stepping up it would have been called a legal hit.  The key element was it was a hit to the head from back-pressure.
    Posted by bim09[/QUOTE]
    Bim, I think you nailed the situation.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Just a thought on the severity of suspensions in junior leagues . Part of the reason why they are severe is because they still have to recruit players to play in their leagues. If a league has players running around taking liberties with cheap shots on other players without getting punished severely then it would be harder to sell the parents and their kids on playing in that league. Goon-style hockey for a 16 year old to play in ? There are other options. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]Just a thought on the severity of suspensions in junior leagues . Part of the reason why they are severe is because they still have to recruit players to play in their leagues. If a league has players running around taking liberties with cheap shots on other players without getting punished severely then it would be harder to sell the parents and their kids on playing in that league. Goon-style hockey for a 16 year old to play in ? There are other options. 
    Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]

I think every league has this unless u wanna dip into europe...even there the goon style exists...
    I agree...jr players are all different ages and maturity levels. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

In response to "Dougie Hamilton 10 Game Suspension.": [QUOTE]If this kind of hit is what gets you 10 games then there will be no hitting in hockey inside 5 years.  What a complete over reaction. Posted by zamboman88[/QUOTE] You must be an idiot, that is exactly what needs to be taken out of hockey

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]I never question Jr. suspensions.  Dave Branch is willing and able to throw guys out of amateur hockey for bad hits.  Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]
    Book - Well said re Branch.  He backs up his words with actions.  I still remember him suspending Mike Liambas for that brutal hit behind the Kitchener net on Fanelli (I think) of the Rangers a couple of year ago.  Liambas was gone for the entire 09/10 season and playoffs which blew up his playing career as he was an over-age player in his last year of eligibility.  Hamilton's hit was not good especially in this present climate of head shots.  Let's hope the recipient recovers to full health asap.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

[QUOTE]This is completely irrelevant. Why are you talking about Vancouver?  Also, this player was still the closest to the puck when checked, and a different Bruin had the puck when Horton was hit. In Response to Re: Dougie Hamilton 10 Game Suspension. :
    Posted by OatesCam[/QUOTE]

It doesn't matter if you're still carrying the puck -- a head shot is still a head shot.  Just because you're carrying the puck doesn't mean that you're wearing a sign that says "Hey, hit me in the head".

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dougie Hamilton 10 Game Suspension. : It doesn't matter if you're still carrying the puck -- a head shot is still a head shot.  Just because you're carrying the puck doesn't mean that you're wearing a sign that says "Hey, hit me in the head".
    Which is why Rome was suspended and should have been.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dougie Hamilton 10 Game Suspension. : Which is why Rome was suspended and should have been.
    Posted by 50belowzero[/QUOTE]

And why Hamilton's 10-gamer is also warranted.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dougie Hamilton 10 Game Suspension. : And why Hamilton's 10-gamer is also warranted.
    I have no problem with the 10 game suspension.In the N.H.L it might have been 3 or 4 games, maybe 5 for a repeat offender. The C.H.L is always tougher on these type of things.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dougie Hamilton 10 Game Suspension. : I have no problem with the 10 game suspension.In the N.H.L it might have been 3 or 4 games, maybe 5 for a repeat offender. The C.H.L is always tougher on these type of things.
    Posted by 50belowzero[/QUOTE]

And so they should be.  Maybe the NHL should look into their rules.   The NHL is failing badly. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Back tonight...already has picked up a pair of helpers through two periods.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from zamboni24. Show zamboni24's posts

Deserves a suspension but 2 other points --

1) Welcome to the Bruins kid
    2) Tis better to give than receive

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

PWWWTTTT! Definitely a 10 gamer! Doug even had ample opportunity to bring his shoulder down and hit his chest! This is by no means an over reaction. This is the perfect reaction! Sit your tush down & hang your head for being an idiot Dougie boy! Dumb as it gets rght there.

And shupe I'm with you! This judgement thing will NEVER work! Either the games given need to be handed out by the players themselves. You randomly select the players like a jury. You get Shanahan & Blake to draw 49 names every month out a hat. The players don't know who the 49 are except themselves. They are given every access to the hit. They watch it themselves & they pick a number of games. The league goes with the most popular number. The league will NEVER allow the players to police themselves again, but they can do it this way. Or they should be doing it the way Shupe said. Let the players be the ones who makes the call. OR you could make the guys who hit like this take the same thing Matt Cooke did. This guy has FINALLY gotten it....Well so far anyway!

Sections
Shortcuts