Dougie Hamilton--- Impressed yet?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle-Salty. Show Uncle-Salty's posts

Dougie Hamilton--- Impressed yet?

Young kid, decent combo of speed and size. Has he developed into what we think he should be at this early stage in his development?

I think he needs to be a lot more physical given his size. He could use a mean streak which seems to be totally lacking. He makes some questionable defensive decisions from time to time which is to be expected. He needs to watch Z very closely and soak everything in. It wouldn't hurt for him to enter a scrum once in a while and perhaps even throw if the situation calls for it. I'm not seeing any of that.

I was hoping for a Rob Blake. Does anyone feel he will become meaner and tougher to play against?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

Re: Dougie Hamilton--- Impressed yet?

considering Dougie came right out of junior, yes i'm impressed....  defense is the hardest position to play....

as for being more physical, maybe it's not in his dna....

just hoping he hangs around longer than some other notable early first-round pix made by B'S....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

Remember when the Bs needed a PMD?

That's Dougie, plus some.

I think he hits fine for a 20-21-year old.  But what I like best is his IQ, hockey and otherwise.  I think he'll get better and better, and he'll grow into whatever the job requires, including adding toughness to his size -- if that's even needed.

He's not getting pushed around and he's winning battles and taking the body when it's advantageous.  He may not be flattening guys like Boychuck, but he's making smart, tape-tape passes and plays, and shows plenty of creativity in the offensive end.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

He is still developing as a player, I don't think we'll see him start to hit his potential for another year or 2.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle-Salty. Show Uncle-Salty's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

He is still developing as a player, I don't think we'll see him start to hit his potential for another year or 2.

Agreed. I understand he's still developing and it also takes longer for defensemen as a rule than it does forwards.

I'd like to see him throw a bone-crunching hit, enter a scrum once in a while and drop his gloves if the situation calls for it. He has the size to be effective in this dept. and we're simply not seeing it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

He was the 9th pick in the draft , so yeah I expected him to be pretty good....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Hamilton is twice the player he was last year and no longer looks out of place in the Nhl. I think within 2 years he could be a high-end player.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

I think those wanting dougie to be a physical pounding dman are gonna be waiting.  Dougie is still a kid and is learning his trade.  I think hes doing very well.  Size, mobile, good instincts.  I just dont think hes gonna be a big bruiser.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

He looks better every game.  Im believin' in Krug, too, although he's got some holes on D. Impressive young Dmen the Bs are blessed with.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Claudorr. Show Claudorr's posts

The guy is twenty years old...barely...Give him a break! Thirteen months ago he was playong junior! And I'm not sure he is 200 pounds yet...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

I think those wanting dougie to be a physical pounding dman are gonna be waiting.  Dougie is still a kid and is learning his trade.  I think hes doing very well.  Size, mobile, good instincts.  I just dont think hes gonna be a big bruiser.  

He's also likely to add some weight and muscle and his game will only get better. We will see where he is in 3 yrs, i think he is definitely top 2 pairing material and his point production will only go up. I also don't think Dougie will ever be a big bruiser which considering he's 6' 5" and will top out at well over 200 lbs is too bad, but then Hal Gill never used his size either. :-)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

I just dont think hes gonna be a big bruiser.  

Been watching him since he was 16. This has been my feelings about him since day one.

His temperament on the ice will never be comparable to say......... a Darian Hatcher. It is more closer to a............. less volatile Kevin Hatcher

His value to a team will always be more importantly measured in the skills that he brings ..........not how physical he is/isn't.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

Many times fans think physical play is all about making big hits or dropping the gloves. Way more important is how physically you compete. That was always my complaint about Seguin. I could care less if Hamilton ever green lights somebody or gets in a fight. But there is a concern about his battle level. Finesse and skill are good traits for anyone to own, especially if you're a big Dman. But there comes a point when you have got to have an element of desperation to your game. It is painfully obvious to me anyway that this kids personality and demeanor are a little troubling, because they reflect his on ice persona. Punish people on the wall, or destroy somebody with a big check? Nice to have, but not the only way to be effective. Wanting the puck more than the other guy, and be willing to do whatever is necessary to get it - yes. Protect the front of the net with physicality - yes. Cross the line once in a while in a puck battle - yes. Get involved in a scrum- yes. It's emotion that's needed for those things, and Hamilton's emotions seem to be on the timid side for me, and it's written all over his face. Not exactly the alpha male type, and that really doesn't change if it's not in you from the start. That's what bothers me about his future with this team.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

I don't know what games some of you are watching. While not a punishing hitter or a guy with a mean streak, I don't think his compete level is low at all. The kid works hard every shift and is probably more concerned with his positioning and not making a mistake than playing instinctively. Part of the maturation process of a young d-man. I've seen him be very effective in front of the net and along the boards. For a kid who weighs less than many of the guys who he is battling with he does surprisingly well and will only get better at this. I could care less if he rubs a guys face into the boards as he takes the puck away or scowls while he keeps the crease clear of opponents as long as he is effective.

He's progressed statistically in every area this season over last season. He's a +13, which is 3rd best for the D on the team and 1 better than Z. During the stretch where they played like crapp he was possibly the steadiest guy on D for a handful of games. (McQuaid seemed to be on the ice every time the opposition scored and even Chara looked out of sorts, but hey, they were mean out there).

So yes, I'm impressed. His skill set is excellent and his hockey IQ seems to be terrific. The ceiling for the kid is pretty high and he's on the right trajectory.  He's 20 and playing a difficult position made even more difficult because of the coach he plays for.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

From the rookie camps and training camps I saw that Hamilton works hard.  Few players stay after practice and Hamilton was one of them.  Plus he is a smart guy and I think he's approaching the game smart, I think you see a little less violence that way (for lack of a better term).

I've always liked his shots from the point, they seem to find a way to get thru the crowd, this aspect of his game is improving along with a lot of other aspects of his game.  This isn't the same guy we saw in the playoffs last year and I like the upward trend he's on.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Anybody have an issue with Ray Bourque?  I don't recall him dealing out that many punishing checks and as for fighting, as I recall he rarely fought and when he did he lost.  I see Hamilton going down the Ray Bourque path more than I do the Darian Hatcher path.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Anybody have an issue with Ray Bourque?  I don't recall him dealing out that many punishing checks and as for fighting, as I recall he rarely fought and when he did he lost.  I see Hamilton going down the Ray Bourque path more than I do the Darian Hatcher path.

Ray didnt drop em, but absolutely could and did hit.   Ray is one of the greatest to play that position.  I hope dougie can go that route.  Id be happy with a solid top 4 for the next 10+ yrs.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cashman72. Show Cashman72's posts

A little bit of Pronger attitude wouldn't hurt. He's got the size to back it up.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:

I just dont think hes gonna be a big bruiser.  

Been watching him since he was 16. This has been my feelings about him since day one.

His temperament on the ice will never be comparable to say......... a Darian Hatcher. It is more closer to a............. less volatile Kevin Hatcher

His value to a team will always be more importantly measured in the skills that he brings ..........not how physical he is/isn't.

I think that is a great comparison! Can you imagine what this guy would've been like if he hit like Scott Stevens & scored like Bourque more consistently? When he played he looked like a monster out there compared to the players he went up against. 6 3' 235.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

At the rookie camp in summer after they drafted him I was standing about 10 feet from him.  At camp in the spring I was standing about the same distance from him and thought 'wow, he looks a lot bigger.'  After that I read in the paper that he had put on 10 lbs from lifting (not the Dustin Byfgulien way).  I would expect him to put on a little more weight as he matures, but not that much more.  He has skills, he works hard, he eats right, to my knowledge he hasn't overslept a team meeting, hasn't gotten half his body tatooed and I haven't heard about him drunk in an alley or that someone hacked his twitter account.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I've always thought of Brian Leetch as a  comparable (hopeful here), although I know Hamilton is a good deal bigger.  I don't think Hamilton will ever have a 'mean streak', but hopefully he'll be 'tough' like Ray Bourque and Leetch -- always up for the big game, play hard as nails, compete like crazy.  I do remember him pummeling someone in junior who kept coming after him... (Chowda? Book?), but I am prefectly happy with a projected top-pairing D-man not dropping the gloves very often.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

I've always thought of Brian Letch as a  comparable (hopeful here), although I know Hamilton is a good deal bigger.  I don't think Hamilton will ever have a 'mean streak', but hopefully he'll be 'tough' like Ray Bourque and Leetch -- always up for the big game, play hard as nails, compete like crazy.  I do remember him pummeling someone in junior who kept coming after him... (Chowda? Book?), but I am prefectly happy with a projected top-pairing D-man not dropping the gloves very often.

I am too, but I also like the fact that he's shown the willingness to drop them to stick up for a teammate when he challenged Orpuke, but of course Brooks......

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Part of his improvement this year is that he's not listening to the "you have to be physical because you're big" noise and is concentrating on learning how to continuously improve in the NHL.  Last year, some of his most glaring mistakes came when he stepped up and destroyed someone - which he can and will do.  Fighting's not his bag - I think Fletch is referring to the time he tomato canned a much smaller pest, which is one of two fights he had in the OHL.  I'm hoping there's an eventual Chara moment - thinking of the story of Chara in Prince George and every wannabe tough guy wanted to slay the giant.  One good bout where he's tested and found game would go a long way.

But no, he's not a high energy bulldog type.  He's a smart player, and his improvement this year is from playing smarter hockey.  When I think of who he could evolve into, I (unfortunately) think of three non-Bruin greats.  I think the way he can influence a game from the back end could end up being like Doug Harvey - never look rushed, never look like he has to fight for the puck or for control because he's always a trick ahead.  Rushing sure, but just as often breaking down the D with the right pass at the right time (he is already, I would argue, the best stretch pass qb on the D), and doing all this while maintaining the kind of D that makes it tough for teams to counter. 

Second is Big Bird. God, how I hated that guy.  He hit, he was physical, but for his size at the time?  A lot of his hits were the result of angling guys off, playing sound positional D.  He didn't fight much, didn't take a lot of penalties.  Like Chara, he made a lot of his size with his reach and leverage.  At the end of this year, Hamilton will be basically in the same place as Robinson after his first two years - one and a half seasons in, Robinson had 114 games played, 8 goals and 32 points.  Hamilton has 11 goals and 29 points in 80 games in his career.

Last is Pronger but Pronger minus the attitude.  I'd take that.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to Uncle-Salty's comment:

Young kid, decent combo of speed and size. Has he developed into what we think he should be at this early stage in his development?

I think he needs to be a lot more physical given his size. He could use a mean streak which seems to be totally lacking. He makes some questionable defensive decisions from time to time which is to be expected. He needs to watch Z very closely and soak everything in. It wouldn't hurt for him to enter a scrum once in a while and perhaps even throw if the situation calls for it. I'm not seeing any of that.

I was hoping for a Rob Blake. Does anyone feel he will become meaner and tougher to play against?

He's not that fast. 

I'm happy with his play. He makes good decisions with the puck. The only complaint I have is his discipline at taking timely bad penalties, not consistently but every so often .

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to JWensink's comment:

Many times fans think physical play is all about making big hits or dropping the gloves. Way more important is how physically you compete. That was always my complaint about Seguin. I could care less if Hamilton ever green lights somebody or gets in a fight. But there is a concern about his battle level. Finesse and skill are good traits for anyone to own, especially if you're a big Dman. But there comes a point when you have got to have an element of desperation to your game. It is painfully obvious to me anyway that this kids personality and demeanor are a little troubling, because they reflect his on ice persona. Punish people on the wall, or destroy somebody with a big check? Nice to have, but not the only way to be effective. Wanting the puck more than the other guy, and be willing to do whatever is necessary to get it - yes. Protect the front of the net with physicality - yes. Cross the line once in a while in a puck battle - yes. Get involved in a scrum- yes. It's emotion that's needed for those things, and Hamilton's emotions seem to be on the timid side for me, and it's written all over his face. Not exactly the alpha male type, and that really doesn't change if it's not in you from the start. That's what bothers me about his future with this team.

You and I have always agreed on this part.  I don't think it will be a problem with Hamilton, not because I think you'll see him venture into that Pronger-like territory you describe here but because I think he's the kind of player who reads the game so well, he doesn't have many desperate battles.  He's just in control, the way Ray Bourque was so often?  Or, looked at from the reverse angle - he's the opposite of Boychuk.  Boychuk's not a rocket scientist, and at least once or twice a game, the puck's in his corner and he's a whirl of stick, elbows, shoulders, hips, head ... you're waiting to hear Wab! Wuh! Woo! Wha! Thhpb! Wa!.  Boychuk is the current king of desperate on the Bruin D.

Personality wise, he seems like a bit of a shy kid.  We forget, because it seems like ages ago that they drafted him, then sent him back to Jr., that he's still the youngest guy to play a game for them this year despite all of the rookies and call-ups they've had.  Spooner is a year and a half older.  Smith is more than two years older, and Marchand more than 5.  On that front, I'd say Bergeron might be a comparable - unilingual francophone who worked his tail off, kept his head down, and developed into the kind of player you really want - always working, always using his body even if he's not throwing hits the way he did pre-concussion.  I'm happy if Hamilton follows that path.

Of course, ditching that "-ie" would go a long way.

Sections
Shortcuts