Dougie Hamilton Question?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

Re: Dougie Hamilton Question?

Can we get back to focusing on the 'is he as dominant as his number suggest aspect' of this thread? A d-man on pace for 100+ points seems insane and he still has more junior eligibility after this year. Based solely on his numbers, his size, and what I've read about his character, I can't help but think this is a top-5 prospect league wide...but I don't get to watch him and numbers in the OHL mean nothing.

Is he a future #1 guy? Is he different than Jay Bouwmeester, who I don't think highly of at all and who I have seen used as a comparison for Dougie?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Ah nice to know that I missed absolutely nothing in the past few days reading these threads.  Civility!  Some good posters above who need to answer the question posed in the thread.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Re: Dougie Hamilton Question?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dougie Hamilton Question? : Hamilton's skating needs work . From what I hear it wasn't very good for those 3 hours.
    Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]

Even tho my opinions are godlike...

Will he play in the NHL next year?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Unlike Hamilton playing in the AHL next year, there have been scenarios where players have been recalled from Junior to play a few games in the NHL in the past - Wes Walz did this in Boston back in 1989-90.  Played two games (and was 1-1-1 in the first game) with the Bruins while still a Lethbridge Hurricane (put up 140 points that year). 

I don't know if the emergency recall provisions have changed, but if they haven't, then the team has to claim that the player is needed on an emergency basis as no other player in the system is available (could be too many games back to back, impossible travel, injury, or just leaving the farm short-handed for their games), and the player has to have a contract in place with the NHL team.

So - there's no way the Bruins can summarily give Hamilton a look because they think he's deserving, but they could fudge the system if they really really needed to just so he could get a look.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

If he continues at this pace the rest of the season, I can't imagine an other year doing him any good. In fact, I would think it would only make him regress.
    If he puts on 10 pounds, bring him up.

One thing I always thought was crazy......this might blow your minds.
    We can all agree that McQuaid kind of falls under the goon/tough guy/enforcer category, right? And that he's very sturdy....here's something you may not believe.
    Dougie - 6'5" 194
    McQuaid - 6'4" 197

.....I think 10 pounds (which is not a far-fetched weight-gain goal for an 18 year old) oughta do it :)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]If he continues at this pace the rest of the season, I can't imagine an other year doing him any good. In fact, I would think it would only make him regress. If he puts on 10 pounds, bring him up. One thing I always thought was crazy......this might blow your minds. We can all agree that McQuaid kind of falls under the goon/tough guy/enforcer category, right? And that he's very sturdy....here's something you may not believe. Dougie - 6'5" 194 McQuaid - 6'4" 197 .....I think 10 pounds (which is not a far-fetched weight-gain goal for an 18 year old) oughta do it :)
    Posted by TheGuyWithDaThing[/QUOTE]

When I saw him at camp I was shocked to see how much bigger he was, I thought I was imagining things.  Then come to find out he added 10 lbs.  Unreal how much bigger he looked by those 10 lbs.  From what I saw, I think it will be really hard for him to add another 10, but if he does, he will be a freaking monster out there.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

[QUOTE]The last time I gave my opinion on a topic with you ( Saturday ) a smart alec reply was sent back my way. Am I supposed to be cordial with you after your tough guy routine ? Go F yourself. You also tried to do the embarrassing with NAS on this thread because of a simple comment he made.( crystal ball , powerball ) You are a hypocrite ! A fight seems to be what YOU want with both of us. The rest of your post is just reincarnated mumblings . Enjoy your Hamilton thread and maybe you'll see him after the WJC. If you haven't figured that out yet you'll have to watch the OHL for that.  

Pot, meet kettle. You've become the king of condescending comments. You regularly over-value your opinion on junior players because you have the OHL cable package, and regularly undervalue how much people can learn about a player they've never seen simply by researching.

There far more people on these boards that don't watch the OHL than do so, so maybe you should try another approach to respond to commentors instead of just telling everyone they don't know what they're talking about. Chances are, they didn't just go to sleep dream about the OHL, and make up some storylines about each player. More likely, they read something from someone who watches the games just as much as you do and who maybe, just maybe, understands the game a bit more too.

Talk about the OHL until you are blue in the face, but remember you're on a bruins board not an OHL board, so stop acting like such a prik about your OHL expertise.

As far as crowls, I hope you aren't seriously physically threatening someone

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

[QUOTE]Can we get back to focusing on the 'is he as dominant as his number suggest aspect' of this thread? A d-man on pace for 100+ points seems insane and he still has more junior eligibility after this year. Based solely on his numbers, his size, and what I've read about his character, I can't help but think this is a top-5 prospect league wide...but I don't get to watch him and numbers in the OHL mean nothing. Is he a future #1 guy? Is he different than Jay Bouwmeester, who I don't think highly of at all and who I have seen used as a comparison for Dougie?
    Posted by dc-bruins-fan[/QUOTE]

This^

Somebody in the know please just answer the original question so those of us not interested in fighting can go read other stuff...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

how much needs to be interpreted of 1.5 pts/ game? seriously....does someone play a lucky 1.5? a lazy 1.5? you don't stumble into 1.5 pts/game. are we looking to see how he takes warm-ups? i haven't seen a minute of his play...but this i can be sure of, his is playing lights-out. no matter the league, if you average 1.5 pts a game, and you are a defenseman, you are playing very well. granted we are talking about a 26 game sample, but he's proving he needs to be playing on the next level, when that happens depends on a lot of factors.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dougie Hamilton Question? : Pot, meet kettle. You've become the king of condescending comments. You regularly over-value your opinion on junior players because you have the OHL cable package, and regularly undervalue how much people can learn about a player they've never seen simply by researching. There far more people on these boards that don't watch the OHL than do so, so maybe you should try another approach to respond to commentors instead of just telling everyone they don't know what they're talking about. Chances are, they didn't just go to sleep dream about the OHL, and make up some storylines about each player. More likely, they read something from someone who watches the games just as much as you do and who maybe, just maybe, understands the game a bit more too. Talk about the OHL until you are blue in the face, but remember you're on a bruins board not an OHL board, so stop acting like such a prik about your OHL expertise. As far as crowls, I hope you aren't seriously physically threatening someone
    Posted by Olsonic[/QUOTE]

You don't know what you're talking about.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from misterpaulo. Show misterpaulo's posts

[QUOTE]Unlike Hamilton playing in the AHL next year, there have been scenarios where players have been recalled from Junior to play a few games in the NHL in the past - Wes Walz did this in Boston back in 1989-90.  Played two games (and was 1-1-1 in the first game) with the Bruins while still a Lethbridge Hurricane (put up 140 points that year).  I don't know if the emergency recall provisions have changed, but if they haven't, then the team has to claim that the player is needed on an emergency basis as no other player in the system is available (could be too many games back to back, impossible travel, injury, or just leaving the farm short-handed for their games), and the player has to have a contract in place with the NHL team. So - there's no way the Bruins can summarily give Hamilton a look because they think he's deserving, but they could fudge the system if they really really needed to just so he could get a look.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

Glenn Murray also played a handful of games with the Bruins in 91-92 as a junior call up while with Sudbury.

Not sure if its possible to do this today but it would be an interesting option if (knock on wood) injuries hit.  Not allot of depth on D after the top 6.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Wow, I thought the OP had a decent question, one I have wondered myself -- how did this thread turn into such a sh*tshow??

I think BB answered the part about whether he can come up at all after the WJC (unlikely) and I would think that losing a year of his ELC would be a deterrant until next year anyhow.  But how about the questions on his numbers?  Are they fluffy?  Is he as good as they would suggest?  If they are, it seems unfathomable that he would play junior again next year.

I watch a lot of NHL and a lot of college hockey, and I offer opinions on those players all of the time.  Since, like Crowls, I never get to watch junior I would also rely on our friends up north who watch junior a lot.  Crowls is right, this has nothing to do with the Bruins current win streak.  Every team will need depth on defense at some point in the season, and the crop in Providence isn't filling me with confidence. 

Deep breath, everyone.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dougie Hamilton Question? : You don't know what you're talking about.

Yawn. Is this an enjoyable experience for you? What do you get out of being such a ck-sucker on the bruins boards? The truth is, your arrogance turns people off from talking about the OHL at the level most people are comfortable with. I see it all the time with you and it goes something like this:

1) Some bruins poster makes a comment wondering about the development of a kid in juniors, maybe he read an article or two and looked at hockey's future or something, maybe he used YouTube.

2) Chowda answers the thread and denounces everyone that offered a more informed opionion than the OP. He uses insults, and acts superior, and thinks that all of his statements should be taken as the truth because he has the OHL package and watches some games (and pretends to watch them all). These "conversations" tend to have one of two outcomes: either Chowda will take over the conversation making it a one-way dictation made to show how much he knows, or it will degrade into name calling and petty bickering over how everyone else is stupid.

The thing is, the people on these boards are Boston Bruins fans, and not fully investigating what is going on in the OHL is perfectly acceptable behavior for NHL fans who don't like spending their time watching little boys. 

What sort of satisfaction do you take in participating of a forum outside of your area of interest? Me thinks that feeling superior motivates you to keep coming back, dispite the fact that you achieve that feeling of superiority providing updates that people can google and telling people they know nothing. 

This is a BOSTON BRUINS forum, not an ontario hockey league forum. No one gives a hoot about junior hockey unless one of those players is coming to help out the bruins. If we did care, we would actually watch the games too!!! How about this:

ZZ, it's so childish man.  The truth is, you live in an echo chamber on these boards and seem to embellish it. That's called being a narcissist

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Has Dougie Hamilton been dominant? Everything I've seen of him (though I haven't seen enough-can't wait for the WJC) says yes. He is the best D in the O.

Can he be recalled post WJC? Yes, but only on an emergency basis. That would mean at least two Bruins D are injured at the same time. The Bruins could sign him, recall him an he could play. Boston would have to give his Junior team financial compensation equal to what he would get paid for that many games based on whatever contract he signs. That amount would count toward their cap. If he exceeded 9 games in one season that would count as a season of his entry level deal. Once the injured D became healthy he would have to be returned to his Junior team. The most recent time this Junior recall was used was Brayden Schenn with the LA Kings. I believe this is the only time this was used in the current CBA and LA consulted their legal team before doing it. So, can a player be recalled? Sure. Will it happen? You're more likely to see Chara and Max Pacioretty making out under the mistletoe this Christmas.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

In Response to Dougie Hamilton Question?:
    [QUOTE]For those that watch/follow the OHL on a regular basis, has Dougie been as dominant as his numbers suggest? Through 26gp he is 11-30-41.  He is tied for 6th in scoring and on a 100 point pace.  I know it was a pretty big deal when Ellis cleared 100 points last year, but Dougie is still 18 as compared to 19-20 for Ellis.  Is there any chance that Dougie is starting to outgrow the OHL, and after the WJC, could end up with a shot with the B's?
    Posted by Crowls2424[/QUOTE]

I live in Niagara & attend lots of Ice Dogs games. Just by watching him, he seems like he could be the real deal. Great offensive instincts, great powerplay quarterback & is not a liability in his own end. He himself says he needs to mature & fill out into his tall frame & says he wouldn't be surprised to be in the OHL for at least another year & maybe 2. I wouldn't expect to see him with the Bruins any time soon. He seems to be developing fine where he is now.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

But once the OHL season is over and Hamilton's team is eliminated from the playoffs then PC can sign Doug to his EL to play either in Providence or Boston correct ?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dougie Hamilton Question? : Asked for opinions of people that have seen him play. Asked if folks thought he might have a cameo opportunity with Boston after the WJC.  Not sure what the 13-0-1 streak has to do with either, unless you are suggesting that the Bruins are not likely to lose again and/or will have no injuries to address.  Take a moment to look into that Crystal Ball of yours and let me know what the Powerball numbers are this week, will you?

You get so bent sometimes.

Let me make this a bit clearer:

The reigning Cup champs returned almost their entire team. They are in the middle of an absurdly long winning streak.  They are looking better than the best team in the league last year.  I don't think that are going to insert an 18-year-old defenseman into the lineup for any reason whatsoever.

Let's go ahead and ignore the entry level contracts all together and just focus on the fact that that this might be the practice of a bottom dweller, but certainly not for a contender.  I can't think of any instance of this happening before.  Can you?

As for the powerball numbers:

3825 968 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I would like to point out that this entire thread when straight to hockey sticks and I was 100% not involved.

Thank you.

(Shupe eats spaghetti with a spoon.)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Agreed with NAS if the Bruins stay healthy.  But, what if 2 of the top 6 defensemen go down to injury, which happens a lot.  Kampfer fills one spot, but who else?  Bartkowski has been terrible in Providence.  Maybe Cohen?  Warsofsky?

If Hamilton is ready for the next level (the key question that Crowls was asking), then why not call him up as soon as: 1. you need him; and 2. you can?? (without forfeiting an ELC year, preferably)

Frankly, Hamilton's numbers make him look better than the questionable 'depth' in Providence.  If that is correct, and if the Bruins suffer injuries, an emergency basis or playoff call-up seems like it might be practical to me.  But I never get to see the kid play...

As long as everyone stays healthy, they don't need him.  But if not...it's worth asking...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dougie Hamilton Question? : Hamilton's skating needs work . From what I hear it wasn't very good for those 3 hours.

Having attended the development camp and watched Doug for three days, believe me he has no problem skating. Both backwards and forward.

In fact, he is quite fluid in his skating, in both directions. He is very quick on his feet when having to adjust inside or outside when moving backwards. Skating will be a strong suit for him once in the NHL.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Yes, and this is true even if he is not eligible for the AHL the following season, and the playoffs would not count toward his EL 9 game limit.

[QUOTE]But once the OHL season is over and Hamilton's team is eliminated from the playoffs then PC can sign Doug to his EL to play either in Providence or Boston correct ?
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]Agreed with NAS if the Bruins stay healthy.  But, what if 2 of the top 6 defensemen go down to injury, which happens a lot.  Kampfer fills one spot, but who else?  Bartkowski has been terrible in Providence.  Maybe Cohen?  Warsofsky? If Hamilton is ready for the next level (the key question that Crowls was asking), then why not call him up as soon as: 1. you need him; and 2. you can?? (without forfeiting an ELC year, preferably) Frankly, Hamilton's numbers make him look better than the questionable 'depth' in Providence.  If that is correct, and if the Bruins suffer injuries, an emergency basis or playoff call-up seems like it might be practical to me.  But I never get to see the kid play... As long as everyone stays healthy, they don't need him.  But if not...it's worth asking...
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

I agree with much of this, Fletch.  The OP didn't mention anything about injuries.  I read it as

Hey, Hamilton is playing well.  Do you think he might be on the Bruins after the WJC?

And my answer was:  No.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Dougie Hamilton Question?:[QUOTE]Yes, and this is true even if he is not eligible for the AHL the following season, and the playoffs would not count toward his EL 9 game limit. In Response to Re: Dougie Hamilton Question? :
    Posted by OatesCam[/QUOTE]

I remember reading that and why I think Hamilton could get a look in a few mop up meaning less games seeing that the Bruins might end up with a 110+ freakin points.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

3 more points tonight (1-2-3), now 12-32-44 in 29 games.  On pace for 103 points.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]3 more points tonight (1-2-3), now 12-32-44 in 29 games.  On pace for 103 points.
    It's been awhile since Boston had a prospect performing this well in junior.