Dougie Hamilton

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from westga. Show westga's posts

Dougie Hamilton

OHL Defenceman of the Month – Dougie Hamilton, Niagara IceDogs

Dougie Hamilton of the Niagara IceDogs claims the monthly award for the fourth time this season once again leading all defencemen in scoring with 17 points in 14 games.  He scored twice and added 15 assists helping the IceDogs earn the franchise’s first Central Division title before defeating the Oshawa Generals in the opening round of the 2012 Playoffs in six games.  Hamilton recorded seven multi-point games in March including four multi-point efforts in the first five playoff games ending the month with a two-assist performance March 31 as part of the 5-3 win over the Generals in Game 5 of the series.

Hamilton, an 18-year-old from Toronto, ON, is playing in his third OHL season with the IceDogs.  Last season Hamilton.  Selected ninth overall by the Boston Bruins in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft, Hamilton led all OHL defencemen with 72 points in 50 games this season

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

Re: Dougie Hamilton

I have been to many Ice Dogs game this season, he looks very impressive.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Has anyone's opinion of him changed?  Is he stepping up in the playoffs?

If he grows genetically or grows via the weight room ANYTHING CLOSE to like he did last summer, he'll be a BEAST at training camp.  If he does BOTH of those things, he'll be the second coming.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from westga. Show westga's posts

Cant wait to see him on the power play with Seguin. Hopefully for about 10 years.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from KrayzieJoe. Show KrayzieJoe's posts

I still can't believe we stole this guy...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Dougie Hamilton:[QUOTE]  If he does BOTH of those things, he'll be the second coming. Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

Of Dick Redmond  or MOC ?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Re: Dougie Hamilton:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dougie Hamilton : Of Dick Redmond  or MOC ?
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

I was waiting for someone to pick up on that.
    Second coming of the next great defenseman, Orr was not Shore, Bourque was not Orr, and Dougie won't be any of those either.
    From what I've seen of him, (ok, admittedly little, but...)  I'm super impressed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

He has 17 goals, 55 assists for 72 points in 50 games this year...

Are you kidding me?  He's not even just a point-per-game player, he's an assist-per-game player...

He's also 6'6" and possibly still growing and plays solid in all 3 zones...

That's absurd...

Do you guys remember the massive smile on PCs face when he picked him?

He couldn't believe he was still there...

Obviously a prospect is still a prospect until he proves himself in the NHL, but I smile every time I hear someone talk about Dougie...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ed121501. Show ed121501's posts

Thanks Phil !!!!
    Thanks Brian !!!!
    Thanks Leafs !!!!

Brian, give Peter Chiarelli a call at the end of the playoffs. We have a vezina winner here with 1 more year on his contract that would be one of those pieces you desperately need. What are you willing to give us this time ?
    I would'nt wait too long to make that call as you may lose your job soon.

You may want to give Doug Wilson a call also if the Sharks get bounced early. Got a feeling a certain #1 center from Ontario will be available. You need him too, by the way.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from felixwas. Show felixwas's posts

Those of you who have seen him: How is he in the defensive zone? Does Hamilton kill penalties? How are his outlet passes? Can he skate the puck out of the zone? Block shots? Move guys out of the crease? Does he have the body mass and strength to play against men in the NHL?

Given Claude's system, he'll probably have Hamilton concentrating on defense first, so I think these factors will be a big factor as to whether Hamilton sticks with the big club next season. Any thoughts from other posters?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Well with some small gaps (and one large one between Shore and Orr) this team has always benefitted from superstar D - it's practically a signature of the B's - Shore, Orr, Park, Bourque, Chara. We can only hope Hamilton continues in that tradition

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from matttt87. Show matttt87's posts

[QUOTE]Has anyone's opinion of him changed?  Is he stepping up in the playoffs? If he grows genetically or grows via the weight room ANYTHING CLOSE to like he did last summer, he'll be a BEAST at training camp.  If he does BOTH of those things, he'll be the second coming.
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

Especially at that age and height, the body is still growing naturally and throw in some weights, good diet, and trainers and look out.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]Well with some small gaps (and one large one between Shore and Orr) this team has always benefitted from superstar D - it's practically a signature of the B's - Shore, Orr, Park, Bourque, Chara. We can only hope Hamilton continues in that tradition
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]
    Don't forget Jon Rohloff.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from westga. Show westga's posts

This kid is huge already. He's excelling at a time in his life, when tall teenagers go through a gangly, uncoordinated period. How good is he going to be when he grows into his man body? How good will the B's power play be with Chara and Hamilton on the point?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Dougie with a solid defensive game ( no points ) last night in a 2-1 OT win. This series he's in will be tight checking. Brampton plays possibly the best defensive team orientated type of game ( with a hard forecheck ) in the OHL. Goals will be hard to come by. It will be interesting to see how he reads certain plays on whether to go on the offense or not.

Last night's game I give him a B+ for his defensive efforts.

And on a side note Jared Knight ( 1 assist ) back in the lineup after being out with an ankle injury. His team won 5-2 against Saginaw, the team that knocked out Ryan Spooner's Sarnia Sting.

Anthony Camara's ( no points )Barrie Colts dropped their opener. Tyler Randell still sits with his 10 game suspension. His team won last night.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

The kid hasn't played a game in the NHL yet and people are mentioning some of the greatest players of all time.

Come back to Earth, folks.  Just because he's big and can score against kids, let's not punch his HOF ticket yet.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]The kid hasn't played a game in the NHL yet and people are mentioning some of the greatest players of all time. Come back to Earth, folks.  Just because he's big and can score against kids, let's not punch his HOF ticket yet.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

He is also one of these so maybe the reason behind the optimism for some.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dougie Hamilton : Don't forget Jon Rohloff.
    Posted by 50belowzero[/QUOTE]

The immortal John Rohloff. What about Barry Richter?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]The kid hasn't played a game in the NHL yet and people are mentioning some of the greatest players of all time. Come back to Earth, folks.  Just because he's big and can score against kids, let's not punch his HOF ticket yet.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

I saw Joe Thornton in camp and I said he was going to be a really good one.  He was a man among boys in camp.  And they were *ALL* "kids".  I saw Bergeron and Lucic in camp and said they belonged in the NHL.

I get quite a bit of satisfaction out of predicting how careers will go.

Tyler Seguin is going to be a likely HOF candidate one day.
    Dougie *might* be a HOF candidate, he will be very good.

I didn't see Orr, Mario or Wayne previous to the NHL, but distinctly recall reading from several sources that they were going to rock the NHL.

I get quite a bit of satisfaction out of making these calls.  Both ways.  They are obvious.  Denis Reul was 100% a bust.  Lars Volden 95% a bust.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dougie Hamilton : I saw Joe Thornton in camp and I said he was going to be a really good one.  He was a man among boys in camp.  And they were *ALL* "kids".  I saw Bergeron and Lucic in camp and said they belonged in the NHL. I get quite a bit of satisfaction out of predicting how careers will go. Tyler Seguin is going to be a likely HOF candidate one day. Dougie *might* be a HOF candidate, he will be very good. I didn't see Orr, Mario or Wayne previous to the NHL, but distinctly recall reading from several sources that they were going to rock the NHL. I get quite a bit of satisfaction out of making these calls.  Both ways.  They are obvious.  Denis Reul was 100% a bust.  Lars Volden 95% a bust.

I get satisfaction on letting people know they should watch drafted players before they start ripping them.

And yes it still irks me to this day that things like this actually happened.

It makes me want to Yell

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dougie Hamilton : I get satisfaction on letting people know they should watch drafted players before they start ripping them. And yes it still irks me to this day that things like this actually happened. It makes me want to . 
    Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]

I also believe people should allow a player to play in the NHL before think that, because of their size, draft position and ability to score on 17 year old goaltenders, the player will be the next great Boston defenseman.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dougie Hamilton : I get satisfaction on letting people know they should watch drafted players before they start ripping them. And yes it still irks me to this day that things like this actually happened. It makes me want to . 
    Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]

I hear what you're saying and stats do lie - sometimes.  But evaluating players exclusively on stats isn't totally invalid.

Look at Denis Reul, previous to being drafted he got one assist in 16 games in a second rate German league.  Seriously.  Yah, he was 6'4" and 226, but then go to hockeydb and look at his team back then and see who they played for and the numbers they put up and there's no reason whatever that I can see that they drafted him.

And there's no way they watched him before they drafted him, if they did, they would have seen that he was pathetic.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dougie Hamilton : I hear what you're saying and stats do lie - sometimes.  But evaluating players exclusively on stats isn't totally invalid. Look at Denis Reul, previous to being drafted he got one assist in 16 games in a second rate German league.  Seriously.  Yah, he was 6'4" and 226, but then go to hockeydb and look at his team back then and see who they played for and the numbers they put up and there's no reason whatever that I can see that they drafted him. And there's no way they watched him before they drafted him, if they did, they would have seen that he was pathetic.

Man...that Denis Reul pick really irks you to still be whining about it nearly 5 years later.

The kid ended up playing 2 years in the Q and still plays professionally today for the Mannheim Eagles in Germany. Along the way, he also played for his country @ U-17, U-18 (2), U-20.

The B's burned a 5th round pick (130th overall) on the guy, it didn't work out.  Big deal.  You have to go back to 1998 to find a Bruins 5th rounder that did anything in the league (Raycroft).

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dougie Hamilton : I hear what you're saying and stats do lie - sometimes.  But evaluating players exclusively on stats isn't totally invalid. Look at Denis Reul...

And there's no way they watched him before they drafted him, if they did, they would have seen that he was pathetic.

He was a fifth round, 130th overall selection.  It's total guesswork at that point.  What did you expect?

I know you've done a great job predicting that highly drafted players will be NHLers.  You deserve a big pat on the back for the Seguin call.  No one could have predicted he'd be any good.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dougie Hamilton : I hear what you're saying and stats do lie - sometimes.  But evaluating players exclusively on stats isn't totally invalid. Look at Denis Reul, previous to being drafted he got one assist in 16 games in a second rate German league.  Seriously.  Yah, he was 6'4" and 226, but then go to hockeydb and look at his team back then and see who they played for and the numbers they put up and there's no reason whatever that I can see that they drafted him. And there's no way they watched him before they drafted him, if they did, they would have seen that he was pathetic.

And sometimes that's all people base their evaluations on. The more points ( or Badhab's higher draft ranking ) in junior or college the better the player is as a prospect. Total BS and doesn't necessarily translate into a better NHL player when compared to the one with less points or higher ranking.

There have been many scoring stars in junior ( a perfect example is #52 of the Bruins although I didn't see his junior career) that fall by the wayside as they get into better leagues.

Don't only go by a boxscore and stat sheet when a person is doing their evaluating. It doesn't tell the whole story about the prospect.