Dougie

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Dougie

I feel bad for the kid and I hope his confidence isn't shaken too badly.  I trust CJ, PC and Neely have had some positive conversations with him to keep his spirits high. He seems like he has his head screwed on straight and understands the situation he is in.  He will be a solid player for years to come. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Re: Dougie

No doubt the conversation has happened, and he's been reminded that he might get called upon at any moment and keep his head on straight. I'm sure someone like Thornton said the same thing, using previous injuries as examples that everyone has to be ready and be part of the whole. Krejci goes down in 2010 and nobody steps up. Horton goes down in 2011 and everyone steps up. Night and day.

He'll be fine.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

I think Hamilton has been fine.  He is the scratch because the team's #2 d-man is back in the line-up.  No shame in that.

Think of it this way; Hamilton is the #4 RD, while Bartkowski is the #4 LD.  Krug is the #5 LD.  The injuries just happen to be on the left side.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

i don't expect him to be a solid player for years to come. I expect him to be an elite player for years to come.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

In response to Crowls2424's comment:

I think Hamilton has been fine.  He is the scratch because the team's #2 d-man is back in the line-up.  No shame in that.

Think of it this way; Hamilton is the #4 RD, while Bartkowski is the #4 LD.  Krug is the #5 LD.  The injuries just happen to be on the left side.

Good point Crowls I just feel for the kid because you just know he wants to be a part of this run.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I'm not sure it's LD and RD as much as Hamilton getting beaten a few times.  Compared to Krug and Bartkowski, Hamilton can't be trusted on the ice...is my guess.

Either way, I'm sure his mental state is fine.  Seguin saw the press box a couple of years ago.  It happens to rookies.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

I'm not sure it's LD and RD as much as Hamilton getting beaten a few times.  Compared to Krug and Bartkowski, Hamilton can't be trusted on the ice...is my guess.

Either way, I'm sure his mental state is fine.  Seguin saw the press box a couple of years ago.  It happens to rookies.

Hey, where's the positivity?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

I think they are sensitive to guys playing off-side.  It works for Seidenberg, but not for the rest.  Bob Beers talked about this on the radio, that there was no way CJ would play Boychuk, McQuaid or Hamilton on thier off side.

In 7 playoff games, Hamilton is E, while Bartkowski is -1.  Sometimes DH's mistakes get overly scrutinized out here.  In the regular season, DH was a +4.  Boychuk was +5, McQuaid was E, as was Bartkowski (11 gp).

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to hangnail's comment:

Hey, where's the positivity?

That's not negative!  At least, it wasn't meant to be!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from KWPatsFan. Show KWPatsFan's posts

Right now I would prefer Hamilton over Bartkowski due to his physical advantage, but Claude sees more from Bartkowski than I do.  Krug is needed on the PP, even more so against the Pens.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Fine with the scratch and fine with Hamiltons development.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from HeresJohnny. Show HeresJohnny's posts

OK, I can't always be positive but I hope we don't repeat history with Dougie, like the saga with Matt Hunwick.  Maybe I'm digging up ancient history, but Hunwick was a promising puck-moving defenseman who had a pretty good rookie campaign for the Bruins in 2008/09, but then something happened to him, his confidence flagged and he hasn't been the same ever since. 

Confidence can be a delicate thing, especially with rookies, so hopefully Julien will show faith in Hamilton, tolerate his gaffes in the defensive zone, and let him learn from his mistakes.  Reducing ice time or scratching him after making mistakes is not they way, despite what supporting words Claude uses.  I love to see more offense coming from our defense, and Hamilton has provided that, and should be able to provide a lot more next season and beyond.

Edit:  Still, I have no problem sitting Dougie for Seidenberg, but I would like to see him in uniform at some point during the Penguins series, especially if the Bruins' offense struggles.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I think if anything Dougie has too much confidence.  He needs to make his game a little simpler.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

He's gonna be awesome... just not yet.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Bruinfaninnewjersey's comment:

He's gonna be awesome... just not yet.

I fully agree!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

whether they are lying or not we can't be sure, but the bruins have pretty much flat out stated that with the exception of seidenberg, they don't have a player they think can play the off side in their D corps. While I think his play coincides with his ranking as the first to sit, I'm also very sure that if it was a left D coming back  that dougie would be in the lineup

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

I see them keeping Bartkowski out there no matter who comes back. It's a toss-up on Krug if/when his game may come back down to earth if Redden/Ference get healthy. I think Dougie is the last guy, and that's not a knock on him. I think he's going to be a very good player, but he still needs to work on his defensive game, I think. I think they'll miss him on the power play, unfortunately, but you gotta get defensive against Pittsburgh.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:

whether they are lying or not we can't be sure, but the bruins have pretty much flat out stated that with the exception of seidenberg, they don't have a player they think can play the off side in their D corps. While I think his play coincides with his ranking as the first to sit, I'm also very sure that if it was a left D coming back  that dougie would be in the lineup

Link please. The only quote I saw from CJ was in regards to who would be his next injury fill in. To that all he said was that it could end up being as simple as left or right shot. It seems you're reaching a bit with your conclusion. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:

Link please. The only quote I saw from CJ was in regards to who would be his next injury fill in. To that all he said was that it could end up being as simple as left or right shot. It seems you're reaching a bit with your conclusion. 

It was Chiarelli actually (I'm actually not 100% sure on this, it might have been CJ, but i think it was Chiarelli, if it was CJ, PC said the same thing on 985 because i heard it there too). He basically said in a presser that they don't like defensemen playing the off side, that seidenberg had done it a lot, and they felt comfortable with him given the way he plays, but other than that they like lefties on the left and righties on thee right. he was pretty emphatic about it. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

He doesn't strike me as kid who will have any type of confidence issues.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to TheGuyWithDaThing's comment:

I see them keeping Bartkowski out there no matter who comes back. It's a toss-up on Krug if/when his game may come back down to earth if Redden/Ference get healthy. I think Dougie is the last guy, and that's not a knock on him. I think he's going to be a very good player, but he still needs to work on his defensive game, I think. I think they'll miss him on the power play, unfortunately, but you gotta get defensive against Pittsburgh.

This is borne out by time on ice for Bruin defensemen.  Bartkowski plays nearly 20 min, up with Boychuk, Seidenberg and Ference (and Chara, but that's a different category!), while Krug and Hamilton have played the same number of minutes on average - about 15:50.  Redden and McQuaid are in that category, too, though I would be more surprised if they sat McQuaid than the others in that category.  Seems to be getting back into that groove he had in 2011 when he just kept it simple and played above his head as a rookie.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

I think they are sensitive to guys playing off-side.  It works for Seidenberg, but not for the rest.  Bob Beers talked about this on the radio, that there was no way CJ would play Boychuk, McQuaid or Hamilton on thier off side.

In 7 playoff games, Hamilton is E, while Bartkowski is -1.  Sometimes DH's mistakes get overly scrutinized out here.  In the regular season, DH was a +4.  Boychuk was +5, McQuaid was E, as was Bartkowski (11 gp).

This is what I think also.  That OT goal while he did need better positioning the goal went in on a high deflection, it would have been much worse if the puck was along the ice and he let him go.

Other than that I didn't see him make more mistakes than Bartkwoski or even a McQuaid .   Just that these 2 have more experience as professionals .  I actually liked Hamilton's physicality.

Sections
Shortcuts