Down a goal with 3:25 left in the thrid period what line would you go with?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from LUCICmilan17. Show LUCICmilan17's posts

Down a goal with 3:25 left in the thrid period what line would you go with?

After cutting the Cain's lead to a goal what line does claude put on the ice for the next shift? Drumroll please THE FOURTH LINE! I mean how do you let shawn thorton and his 4th line cronnies WASTE over a min off the clock with only 3 mins left in the game when your down a goal? I am not surprised this is claude's way I would just like to think even he is capable of positive change. I guess I am insane because I watch the same coach and the same team do the same head scratching ice time moves but expect it to be different. I am not asking for any much like a power play goal! I just wish this coach would use his lines better made absolutly no sense to me to see him play the 4th line with only 3 mins and change left in the third period for a min when you need a goal to tie. Mind boggling.......

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Re: Down a goal with 3:25 left in the thrid period what line would you go with?

In Response to Down a goal with 3:25 left in the thrid period what line would you go with?:
    [QUOTE]After cutting the Cain's lead to a goal what line does claude put on the ice for the next shift? Drumroll please THE FOURTH LINE! I mean how do you let shawn thorton and his 4th line cronnies WASTE over a min off the clock with only 3 mins left in the game when your down a goal? I am not surprised this is claude's way I would just like to think even he is capable of positive change. I guess I am insane because I watch the same coach and the same team do the same head scratching ice time moves but expect it to be different. I am not asking for any much like a power play goal! I just wish this coach would use his lines better made absolutly no sense to me to see him play the 4th line with only 3 mins and change left in the third period for a min when you need a goal to tie. Mind boggling.......
    Posted by LUCICmilan17[/QUOTE]
    We had these same tired discussions for all of last year. Things worked out OK in the end. Relax buddy. Have a little faith in CJ. After all, he is a champion.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LUCICmilan17. Show LUCICmilan17's posts

In Response to Re: Down a goal with 3:25 left in the thrid period what line would you go with?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Down a goal with 3:25 left in the thrid period what line would you go with? : We had these same tired discussions for all of last year. Things worked out OK in the end. Relax buddy. Have a little faith in CJ. After all, he is a champion.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

Can't argue with that for sure, I rest my case and will take a chill pill before the next game but am I the only one who doesn't get his use of lines?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from gaaucoin. Show gaaucoin's posts

DeZ is right!! Let the guy who is being paid do his job.  I think they call the Thornton the "energy line"??  Maybe he figures they have the freshest legs...go out there and run the more tired guys off the ice...just a thought. I just watch and enjoy the games...some more than others.

Garfield

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pucman. Show pucman's posts

with a minute 26 to go, face off in carolina,s end....Pouliot,Campbell,Marchand  sorry, I got as far as a " HUH ", & then said " oh yeah, he,s the coach of the world champions, he can put out who ever he wants " I,m with you Lucic17  very questionable decision,s with lines & changes

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

It was also brought to my attention that in the previous game Thornton had as much ice time as Seguin and Lucic whicj actually means he had more 5 on 5 ice times once you take PP time away.
    You can't argue with success this early but he was never a jedi mind anyway.  He fires the 4 lines over the boards at anytime.

Trust me when I say I noticed last night as well.  First they were scored on to make it 2-1 and I didnt see much positive from their play that would lend me to believe they were gonna take a minute shift and tie the game. 
    If they wanna throw that line on why not double shift Seguin or someone that was actually hot. 

CJ will now get the "He won the cup, he knows more than all of us" which is 100% correct.  But it doesnt mean that it can't be questioned.  Maybe he likes being 1-3.  I know it early but I can tell ya one thing.   The league is too close to take nights off.  Montreal and Buffalo are gonna be hard to beat this year. 

Wakey wakey eggs and bakey

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LUCICmilan17. Show LUCICmilan17's posts

In Response to Re: Down a goal with 3:25 left in the thrid period what line would you go with?:
    [QUOTE]It was also brought to my attention that in the previous game Thornton had as much ice time as Seguin and Lucic whicj actually means he had more 5 on 5 ice times once you take PP time away. You can't argue with success this early but he was never a jedi mind anyway.  He fires the 4 lines over the boards at anytime. Trust me when I say I noticed last night as well.  First they were scored on to make it 2-1 and I didnt see much positive from their play that would lend me to believe they were gonna take a minute shift and tie the game.  If they wanna throw that line on why not double shift Seguin or someone that was actually hot.  CJ will now get the "He won the cup, he knows more than all of us" which is 100% correct.  But it doesnt mean that it can't be questioned.  Maybe he likes being 1-3.  I know it early but I can tell ya one thing.   The league is too close to take nights off.  Montreal and Buffalo are gonna be hard to beat this year.  Wakey wakey eggs and bakey
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]

A horrid first month and it could be hard for us to make the playoffs.

Just saying................

I can't help it even though claude has a cup I don't get his moves. Last night I also thought they waited to long to pull the goalie for the extra attacker they had a face off in the cains zone won the faceoff and still waited to long.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

There are 571 players on this NHL TOI list .

Campbell is ranked 399th. Higher then Paille or Thornton because of being a center ( put out for faceoffs and PK duties ).

Daniel Paille is ranked 470th ( Pk duties also ).

Shawn Thornton is at 502.

They are right there with the other 4th lines in the league in average TOI.

Being down with little time left and having them out there is something I'd rather not see but it is an old discussion which has been beaten to death. It is the way CJ coaches sometimes . Not all the time. I live with it because of the quality of play this line has produced in the last year.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?fetchKey=20122ALLSASAll&sort=avgTOIPerGame&viewName=summary&pg=17
        00       .   

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

People criticize CJ for not going with the flow of the game and playing who's in to it. Then they criticize him for doing just that. Some people just complain.  The top 6 were being saved for the last 1:30. He needed to play someone to give them a minute rest. He went with 3 guys who were giving lots of energy, guys who could keep the puck in the attacking zone for the following faceoff. I guess the question is, who would you rather play for that minute if you were not playing them? Kelly? Paille? Tuukka Rask?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LUCICmilan17. Show LUCICmilan17's posts

[QUOTE]People criticize CJ for not going with the flow of the game and playing who's in to it. Then they criticize him for doing just that. Some people just complain.  The top 6 were being saved for the last 1:30. He needed to play someone to give them a minute rest. He went with 3 guys who were giving lots of energy, guys who could keep the puck in the attacking zone for the following faceoff. I guess the question is, who would you rather play for that minute if you were not playing them? Kelly? Paille? Tuukka Rask?
    Posted by OatesCam[/QUOTE]

You have 3 other lines who would be better options when DOWN a goal to use to try to score a GOAL. If none of the other lines could give a good min then they must be in some awful shape.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Down a goal with 3:25 left in the thrid period what line would you go with? : You have 3 other lines who would be better options when DOWN a goal to use to try to score a GOAL. If none of the other lines could give a good min then they must be in some awful shape.

Actually two other lines. Unless you're thinking of double shifting the line that was out prior to that.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Down a goal with 3:25 left in the thrid period what line would you go with? : A horrid first month and it could be hard for us to make the playoffs.

Pittsburgh had a horrid first 4 months and ended up winning the Cup. (Of course, people could point out that they also changed coaches around February that year, which is true. But the season is never over in October, no matter how crappy the month goes).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LUCICmilan17. Show LUCICmilan17's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Down a goal with 3:25 left in the thrid period what line would you go with? : Pittsburgh had a horrid first 4 months and ended up winning the Cup. (Of course, people could point out that they also changed coaches around February that year, which is true. But the season is never over in October, no matter how crappy the month goes).
    Posted by Kennedy97[/QUOTE]

True but they had more talent than the bruins do. I am not saying anything is over in october all  I am saying if we got off to a horrid start for the first 20 games it could proove hard to play catchup just to try to back door into the playoffs.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from LUCICmilan17. Show LUCICmilan17's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Down a goal with 3:25 left in the thrid period what line would you go with? : Actually two other lines. Unless you're thinking of double shifting the line that was out prior to that.
    Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]

The bruins also had a timeout in their pocket wich they could have used when ever they wanted. I just don't think there is any good reason for claude to be rolling the 4th line in that situation thats all. I like our 4th line I just don;t wana see them in that situation or those situations.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

I dont know what is wrong with Thornton but I havent seen him making one nice pass so far this season ....maybe its time to replace him with MacDemid who skates better and has a bit more offensive talent ...I think Thorton will not help the team much this year ....

Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chappy28. Show Chappy28's posts

You can't defend stupid coaching moves by CJ just because we won the cup last year.  We were one goal away from going out in the first round to Montreal, but we got the bounces we needed.  Bad coaching decisions are bad coaching decisions no matter what worked out in the past.  You have to play to win games and most sane people would agree that putting your 4th line out there with that little time left down a goal is nothing but a head scratcher.  These guys are professional athletes and to suggest that the top 3 lines could not have gutted out the last couple minutes is BS.

However I am not surprised and neither should anybody else who watched last year be.  This is CJ's way, and for him to do something else would have been the true surprise.  I think he's a great systems coach, but does not make in-game adjustments to a fault.

Bottom line is that the 4th line should not touch the ice in the last 7 or so minutes of a one goal game that you are trying to win --- especially when they are having an off night as was the case last night

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

I do not like the 4th line with Thornton. He does not add anything to the game. He does not handle the puck well; he misses most of his checks; there are too many better, more skilled, options available and in Providence. His lack of skills doesn't mean he is a bad person; in fact he is a solid Bruins rooter just like so many fans; his prominence has been promoted by Fluto because he is an easy and ready quote at any time, but, he is not as skilled as many other 4th line players around the league. Last year, the 4th line was motivated and praised because of Marchand; if another Marchand can replace Thornton, maybe McDermid [ last cut], the 4th line will again become viable.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

The fact that in the 3 games they lost the opposing goalies had SV%s of

96%
    100%
    93%

means to me you cant completely blame this on CJ. I mean the Caron bonehead  giveaway and Cam Ward standing on his heard are out of his control.

He could've called a time out instead of rollling the energy line, but he probably wanted CAR to be tired when the scoring line hit the ice.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

OK, let's try this again. What players would you use? Krejci is hurt. You can't use Bergeron, Seguin, Lucic or Horton, because they are being rested for the final 1:30. What players do you put out there?

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Down a goal with 3:25 left in the thrid period what line would you go with? : You have 3 other lines who would be better options when DOWN a goal to use to try to score a GOAL. If none of the other lines could give a good min then they must be in some awful shape.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

[QUOTE]The fact that in the 3 games they lost the opposing goalies had SV%s of 96% 100% 93% means to me you cant completely blame this on CJ. I mean the Caron bonehead  giveaway and Cam Ward standing on his heard are out of his control. He could've called a time out instead of rollling the energy line, but he probably wanted CAR to be tired when the scoring line hit the ice.
    Posted by I-Like-Hockey[/QUOTE]
     most sensible post of the thread

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chappy28. Show Chappy28's posts

[QUOTE]OK, let's try this again. What players would you use? Krejci is hurt. You can't use Bergeron, Seguin, Lucic or Horton, because they are being rested for the final 1:30. What players do you put out there? In Response to Re: Down a goal with 3:25 left in the thrid period what line would you go with? :
    Posted by OatesCam[/QUOTE]

At 3:25 there are 3 shifts left, or two VERY long shifts.  Send out Seguin, Caron Pouloit, followed by Bergeron Marchand Peverley, the end with the Seguin Lucic Horton with Bergeron coming off the bench for the extra man.  Was that so hard?  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PAULICAS1975. Show PAULICAS1975's posts

Maybe the 4th lines was out there cause the 1st 3 lines were out of gas?? People, please. I'ts only 4 games unto the new season. Didnt they start slow last year too?? Look what happened. Relax this isnt the Red Sox.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]Being down with little time left and having them out there is something I'd rather not see but it is an old discussion which has been beaten to death. It is the way CJ coachessometimes . Not all the time. I live with it because of the quality of play this line has produced in the last year. http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?fetchKey=20122ALLSASAll&sort=avgTOIPerGame&viewName=summary&pg=17         0 0               .      
    Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]

You took the words right out of my mouth. I'll say the same thing I said last season ; Disagree with the tactic but it works for Julien (and it worked) therefore who am I to complain.  
    When the time comes Julien adjusts but we're game4 of the season, there's a lot of hockey to play and not all the players are in top shape yet.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

During the final 5 minutes of the game:
    Lucic/Horton/Seguin: about 2 minutes of ice time.
    Campbell: 2 minutes
    Bergeron: 1:45
    Peverley: 1:15
    Marchand/Pouliot: 1:10
    Thornton: 1 minute
    Kelly/Paille/Caron: None

The goal was scored with Bergeron/Marchand/Pouliot/Campbell on the ice.  Yes, Campbell was the extra attacker.  Lucic/Seguin/Horton had gotten off of the ice about 30 seconds prior, Caron was benched.  I don't know why Peverley wasn't the added forward.

Anyway, next shift (the one in dispute) was Campbell/Peverley/Thornton.  Thornton left the ice with 2:30 remaining.  During that final 2:30, only the following 8 forwards saw ice time:  Campbell (0:36), Lucic (1:54), Horton (1:39), Seguin (1:39), Bergeron (1:04), Peverley (0:15), Marchand (0:33), Pouliot (0:33).  

The players that could have been put out instead of the shift in dispute while maintaining that set for the final 2:30 were Kelly, Caron, and Paille.  Kelly and Caron both had their butts stuck on the bench since the goal-against.

So is it worth being upset that Thornton was on the ice instead of Paille?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Now that is the way to answer the question DrCC.