Down is up. Up is down

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Down is up. Up is down

I just had a ten minute convesation where I was DEFENDING Sean Avery (for his recent comments about gay marriage).

Me... acting like Sean Avery is the good guy - the world has gone mad.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ronstar8. Show Ronstar8's posts

Re: Down is up. Up is down

LOL!!!

The real question Red is if Ratt Cooke took the same position, would you still defend him??

Just kidding. I just read the article in the Canadian Press. It is very interesting to say the least. I like the Jackie Robinson analogy.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

Maybe Wiz was right when he gave Avery that gesture? Maybe thats what he really was going to do after the game!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homebrew76. Show Homebrew76's posts

I was in the same boat.    Good on Avery for doing something like standing up for equal rights.   I still believe he has no place in hockey, but he at least got something right.

What I couldn't believe is a player agency organization coming out and blasting Avery for taking this position.   What the hell difference does Gay Marriage make to a sports agency like this?   It's a social / moral / political issue, not a sports issue.   If I were a player I'd think twice about being represented by an agency that wants to direct which special interest groups I may want to get involved in.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

In Response to Down is up. Up is down:
    [QUOTE]I just had a ten minute convesation where I was DEFENDING Sean Avery (for his recent comments about gay marriage). Me... acting like Sean Avery is the good guy - the world has gone mad.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

Agreed, never thought I'd see the day when I was applauding anything that clown did.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

no idea what this is about, anybody got a link?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from gardenbees. Show gardenbees's posts

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/hockey/rangers/2011/05/11/2011-05-11_sean_battles_bias_that_stinks_on_ice.html?r=sports

The only redeeming quality this creep has and shame on his agent's ignorance with his comments.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

The wife hates Avery even more than I do - looking forward to telling her about it when she gets home. Should make for some good comedy.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

The funny part is that the agent's comments made the news while the fact that Avery supports it didn't. So the agent exposed himself as a homophobe (rightful or not) and made Avery look good.

Maybe that's the point since Avery needs a job and he was getting him publicity.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

He isn't even Avery's agent though, which is the weird part.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Just heard Damian Goddard, an anchor for Sportsnet, has been fired for supposedly trashing Avery on Twitter and supporting the agent. Weird story - people being fired for trashing Avery? It's like that episode of Star Trek in the Mirror World with the evil Spock.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

ok, then it makes negative sense for him to open his mouth.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Live and let live, and please, don't throw your sexual preference at me. I don't care.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I don't think anyone was.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Sorry red I meant that in general...i never get why people feel the need to announce it for no reason.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Down is up. Up is down:
    [QUOTE]Just heard Damian Goddard, an anchor for Sportsnet, has been fired for supposedly trashing Avery on Twitter and supporting the agent. Weird story - people being fired for trashing Avery? It's like that episode of Star Trek in the Mirror World with the evil Spock.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

So wrong.  The anchor has the right to his opinion.  This is what the world has come to these days.  It's okay for someone to support a minorty point of view, but if someone is against the same minority point of view (you know, like someone in the majority), they are not allowed to voice their opinion.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Down is up. Up is down : So wrong.  The anchor has the right to his opinion.  This is what the world has come to these days.  It's okay for someone to support a minorty point of view, but if someone is against the same minority point of view (you know, like someone in the majority), they are not allowed to voice their opinion.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

and then they call it " Politically Correct "

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Down is up. Up is down : So wrong.  The anchor has the right to his opinion.  This is what the world has come to these days.  It's okay for someone to support a minorty point of view, but if someone is against the same minority point of view (you know, like someone in the majority), they are not allowed to voice their opinion.

I agree with you NAS, with one caveat. The anchor made the comment from his official work related twitter account, which features a picture of him sitting at the anchor desk withthe company's name in the background. This was not his statement as a private citizen, it was his staement as an employee of a company. If an empoye semingly makes a statement on behalf of company, or in their capacity as an employee, that said company disagrees with, then I don't see a problem with firing that employee, regardless of the content of the comment. If the statement comes from the person outside of the context of their work, than the employer should have no say at all, and it should not effect their employment.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrynewyork. Show jerrynewyork's posts

while i disagree with the anchor,he should have not been fired.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Down is up. Up is down : It's okay for someone to support a minorty point of view, but if someone is against the same minority point of view (you know, like someone in the majority), they are not allowed to voice their opinion.

Are you implying that support for same sex marriage is a minority opinion?

In New York, where Avery made his comments: "Opinion polls show a growing majority of New Yorkers favor marriage equality. And some senators who voted against the bill two years ago have since been replaced by supporters of the bill. To ensure passage, advocates now need to gain the votes of six more senators." http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/26/opinion/26tue4.html http://thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/new-york-times-gay-marriage-opponents-now-in-minority/marriage/2011/04/20/19037

In Canada, where Avery is from and Sportsnet is located, and where same sex marriage is federally recognized, 61% of the population thinks same sex couples should be able to legally marry. http://www.angus-reid.com/polls/37148/canada_more_open_to_same_sex_marriage_than_us_uk/

Even nationally in the US, opinion polls suggest that opposition to marriage equality is the minority position now. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/22/weekinreview/22gay.html

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I think he was saying the opposite, dc. That opposition to same-sex unios is the minority opnion.

And technically jerry, they did not cite the satemet as the reason for dismissal - though it was wfully convenient.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

[QUOTE]I think he was saying the opposite, dc. That opposition to same-sex unios is the minority opnion. And technically jerry, they did not cite the satemet as the reason for dismissal - though it was wfully convenient.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

Wasn't clear...got confused on the part where NAS said that if someone criticizes the minority view, they are forced to keep their mouth shut. I interpreted the comment as "if Reynolds/the Sportsnet guy want to speak out against Avery's minority opinion, they're not allowed"

Apologies to NAS if misinterpreted.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrynewyork. Show jerrynewyork's posts

[QUOTE]I think he was saying the opposite, dc. That opposition to same-sex unios is the minority opnion. And technically jerry, they did not cite the satemet as the reason for dismissal - though it was wfully convenient.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]
    got it ,thanks !

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]I think he was saying the opposite, dc. That opposition to same-sex unions is the minority opnion.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

I believe the majority is against same-sex unions.  I believe people are happy with how things are.  Happy people don't respond as much as unhappy people.  Complainers always take the microphone when asked.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Down is up. Up is down : Are you implying that support for same sex marriage is a minority opinion? In New York, where Avery made his comments: " Opinion polls show...
    Posted by dc-bruins-fan[/QUOTE]

Opinion polls.  Means absolutely nothing, especially when conducted by the ultra-liberal NY Times.  The focus group is not mentioned, meaning they might have taken their poll in the middle of Greenwich Village.

Sections
Shortcuts