Down is up. Up is down

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Re: Down is up. Up is down

In Response to Re: Down is up. Up is down:
    In Response to Re: Down is up. Up is down : I believe the majority is against same-sex unions.  I believe people are happy with how things are.  Happy people don't respond as much as unhappy people.  Complainers always take the microphone when asked.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

I think you're wrong on several counts.

1. A majority of people across the country now favor same-sex unions, according to most polls.

2. The majority of people are not happy.  People are more unhappy now than any time in 30 years.

3. The complaining and public outcry about same-sex marriage has come largely from those who oppose it.  Particularly outside of Massachusetts and in religious circles.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In Response to Re: Down is up. Up is down : I believe the majority is against same-sex unions.  I believe people are happy with how things are.  Happy people don't respond as much as unhappy people.  Complainers always take the microphone when asked.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Maybe NAS, I really don't know enough about how it's considered in the US.
    I know up here it's a majority in favour, and that it's nationally legal. But I have not followed the issue enough in the States to have a strong idea on its national approval ratings.

I also agree that unhappy people can often be the loudest, but that can be a good thing (folks like Malcom X, MLK, Susan B. Anthony, Dennis Banks pop to mind) a well as a bad thing (those nut jobs who protest military funerals).

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

* Happy with marriage being marriage, not reducing it to "same-sex unions".

Overally, in life, people are very unhappy here.  The economy is trash, we've been at war for 10 years and prices are skyrocketing for everything.

At least the B's are doing well!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

"I believe people are fine the way things are" is never an acceptable justification for denying a group civil rights. That viewpoint is actually the reason why Canada and the US have a Supreme Court.

Also, opposition to marriage equality is not a majority opinion nationally in the USA:

http://people-press.org/2010/10/06/support-for-same-sex-marriage-edges-upward/

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/support-gay-marriage-reaches-milestone-half-americans-support/story?id=13159608

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/2011/may/10/poll-finds-gay-marriage-support-va-ar-1028841/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/08/27/AR2010082705614.html

http://www.wnyc.org/articles/wnyc-news/2011/may/03/religious-leaders-voice-support-same-sex-marriage-ny/

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/article/Religious-leaders-urge-gay-marriage-support-1140342.php

http://politicalcorrection.org/blog/201103180004

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

^^^  All left wing sources.  Irrelevant.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

Posted by Not-A-Shot

So sad that you are so unwilling to accept facts.

You want conservative sources? Same story. The majority does not agree with you on this NAS. Time to fully embrace gays and lesbians as equals.

Wall Street Journal:
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124804515860263587.html

http://onespot.wsj.com/politics/2010/08/12/a/677777241-opinion-on-same-sex-marriage-appears/

http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2011/02/23/obama-gambles-with-shift-on-gay-marriage/

Fox News:

http://foxnewsinsider.com/2010/08/13/fox-newsopinion-dynamics-poll-how-do-americans-feel-about-gay-marriage/

http://www.thewashingtonnote.com/archives/2010/08/double_take_fox/

Washington Independent:
    http://washingtonindependent.com/94585/marriage-equalitys-long-march

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

if everyone just tended to their own business, and stopped worrying about other peoples business, think of what a wonderful world this would be! one big happy family. if we were all the same, it would be an awfully boring existence. let your freak flag fly!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Just a guess here...NAS is oposed to gay marriage?

Although I support it I don't believe the "majority" in the U.S. are in favor of gay marriage but it's probably getting there. I have a better than average understanding of media bias and there is a definite media bias towards gay marriage and NAS's assessment of the lefty sources is correct.

Red - Interesting to hear that Canadian perspective on gay marriage. I was unaware. Thanks!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

the previous couple posts are a microcosm of the bigger issue. liberals, conservatives, whatever. THINK FOR YOURSELF. don't be told what to think. "i'm a ____, i believe in what they believe."?????? lazy thinkers... judge each situation in life on its own merit, instead of blanket statementing issues for your own convenience(and laziness).  it's nice and warm and cozy being part of a big group.  but to follow blindly, is very dangerous, see hitler for proof of this dynamic. btw, i thought there was a separation of church and state thing we were supposed to have here in the states? so why is same sex marriage illegal? HUH, that's a head scratcher! stop trying to impose YOUR religion on me! that's why us europeans headed for north america in the first place. know your history- sorry for the rant- but it had to said

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

the previous couple posts are a microcosm of the bigger issue. liberals, conservatives, whatever. THINK FOR YOURSELF. don't be told what to think. "i'm a ____, i believe in what they believe."?????? lazy thinkers... judge each situation in life on its own merit, instead of blanket statementing issues for your own convenience(and laziness).  it's nice and warm and cozy being part of a big group.  but to follow blindly, is very dangerous, see hitler for proof of this dynamic. btw, i thought there was a separation of church and state thing we were supposed to have here in the states? so why is same sex marriage illegal? HUH, that's a head scratcher! stop trying to impose YOUR religion on me! that's why us europeans headed for north america in the first place. know your history- sorry for the rant- but it had to said
    Posted by adkbeesfan

Very well said ADK, I also think NAS is extremely far off in his veiw that the majority population is opposed to SS Mariage

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from skater68. Show skater68's posts

In Response to Re: Down is up. Up is down : I agree with you NAS, with one caveat. The anchor made the comment from his official work related twitter account, which features a picture of him sitting at the anchor desk withthe company's name in the background. This was not his statement as a private citizen, it was his staement as an employee of a company. If an empoye semingly makes a statement on behalf of company, or in their capacity as an employee, that said company disagrees with, then I don't see a problem with firing that employee, regardless of the content of the comment. If the statement comes from the person outside of the context of their work, than the employer should have no say at all, and it should not effect their employment.
    Posted by red75

Thanks red75 for the informed opinion. It's nice to see someone using logic instead of vitriol and sarcasm

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

Although I support it I don't believe the "majority" in the U.S. are in favor of gay marriage but it's probably getting there. I have a better than average understanding of media bias and there is a definite media bias towards gay marriage and NAS's assessment of the lefty sources is correct.
    Posted by WalkTheLine

Actually, CNN and Gallup conducted a poll in late April (of this year) which was the fourth or fifth since August 2010 to show that 51%+ of Americans support legal same sex marriage. I understand how media bias works as well but there are way too many polls since August 2010 that state that support for marriage equality is now the majority position. This shouldn't really be all that surprising, either, since support has been trending up steadily for the last 15 years.

But aside from whether its a majority opinion or not, its a basic civil right to be able to get married and there is no legal policy justification for denying that right to gays and lesbians.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

I'm in the Kinky Freidman camp.
    Gays and lesbians have every right to be as miserable as the rest of us.

Regarding the fired reporter. That is on him for tweeting from his company account. Nothing to do with majorities or minorities. It's not that he was "not-politically correct" it was because he was unprofessional and dumb. If he did it from his personal account, and I'd defend him.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

I'm in the Kinky Freidman camp. Gays and lesbians have every right to be as miserable as the rest of us. Regarding the fired reporter. That is on him for tweeting from his company account. Nothing to do with majorities or minorities. It's not that he was "not-politically correct" it was because he was unprofessional and dumb. If he did it from his personal account, and I'd defend him.
    Posted by seobrien

Completely agree. The reporter issue has nothing to do with whether the statement is a minority or majority opinion.

However, there are some personal opinions that can deservedly get a person fired. Either the statement could be so inflammatory that it has no place being said by any professional at any place(racist comments, for example) or has the potential to offend a significant portion of the employer's customers (Gilbert Godfried making jokes about Japan while working for a company, Aflac, that does 75% of its business in Japan) or is prohibited by contract (ie, "Do not talk about topic x").

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

In Response to Re: Down is up. Up is down : Actually, CNN and Gallup conducted a poll in late April (of this year) which was the fourth or fifth since August 2010 to show that 51%+ of Americans support legal same sex marriage. I understand how media bias works as well but there are way too many polls since August 2010 that state that support for marriage equality is now the majority position. This shouldn't really be all that surprising, either, since support has been trending up steadily for the last 15 years. But aside from whether its a majority opinion or not, its a basic civil right to be able to get married and there is no legal policy justification for denying that right to gays and lesbians.
    Posted by dc-bruins-fan

I said it was close and getting there, so maybe it's now a majority. It wouldn't be the first time I was behind the curve! I stand behind my media bias comment, though. Majority or not, much the media has a fever for gay marriage.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homebrew76. Show Homebrew76's posts

Posted by Not-A-Shot

It is sad that so many north americans fail to support equality in our society.   Same thing in both Canada and the US.   What's also sad is that it futhers the division between the 'Left' and the 'Right' in the political spectrum.   When it comes to financial directives, world conflicts,..etc sure those things need debate and different viewpoints.   But something like equal rights shouldn't even need a discussion, it should just be.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In Response to Re: Down is up. Up is down : Thanks red75 for the informed opinion. It's nice to see someone using logic instead of vitriol and sarcasm
    Posted by skater68

Speaking as, I assume, the only poster here with actually a dog in this fight, I still don't see why issues like this can't always be approached calm, rationally, and with respect to other poeple's opnions. To be honest, it's no skin off my nose if someone is for or against it, but there's nothing wrong with discussing it like adults.

One funny and odd part of this that sometimes gets overlooked though is the economic benefit of it. When I was planning my wedding I discovered that there's now a whole new nuptial industry focusing solely on gay marriage that's popped up since legalization. As many as 40,000 new jobs in the wedding industry have been created in Canada since legalization. Just thought it was a neat point.

And bringing it back to hockey, Avery has been asked to be on the cover of Outlooks magazine (Canada's top LGBT mag) so he's seeing some financial upside from this.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

As Above, Is Below. I for congratulate Avery for his act of bravery. Takes a lot to come out with a stance like that especially in a media market like NY. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Down is up. Up is down : Very well said ADK, I also think NAS is extremely far off in his veiw that the majority population is opposed to SS Mariage
    Posted by I-Like-Hockey

Using the source that was posted by another member, you can see that it shows 37% are in favor of same-sex marriage.

http://foxnewsinsider.com/2010/08/13/fox-newsopinion-dynamics-poll-how-do-americans-feel-about-gay-marriage/

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

This discussion only relates to hockey insofar as Sean Avery making comments, and I join the OP in applauding him for speaking up.  I have no problem with players like Avery or Ference expressing themselves.

The rest of the discussion about minority/majority opinions, civil rights, and spooky liberal media conspiracies really has no place here, so let's get back to what we all enjoy before dividing into politics factions and ticking each other off. 

We are in the midst of an exhilerating playoff run here...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrynewyork. Show jerrynewyork's posts

In Response to Re: Down is up. Up is down : Opinion polls.  Means absolutely nothing, especially when conducted by the ultra-liberal NY Times.  The focus group is not mentioned, meaning they might have taken their poll in the middle of Greenwich Village.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

sorry but Greenwich Village stop being "gay" a long time ago. try Chelsea or Hell's Kitchen.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

In Response to Re: Down is up. Up is down : Using the source that was posted by another member, you can see that it shows 37% are in favor of same-sex marriage. http://foxnewsinsider.com/2010/08/13/fox-newsopinion-dynamics-poll-how-do-americans-feel-about-gay-marriage/
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Even there, 66% support some recognition of marriage equality.  Overwhelming majority.

I'll agree with Fletcher though and let the rest go.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Down is up. Up is down : I agree with you NAS, with one caveat. The anchor made the comment from his official work related twitter account, which features a picture of him sitting at the anchor desk withthe company's name in the background. This was not his statement as a private citizen, it was his staement as an employee of a company. If an empoye semingly makes a statement on behalf of company, or in their capacity as an employee, that said company disagrees with, then I don't see a problem with firing that employee, regardless of the content of the comment. If the statement comes from the person outside of the context of their work, than the employer should have no say at all, and it should not effect their employment.
    Posted by red75

From Yahoo:  In a statement, Sportsnet spokesman Dave Rashford said: “Mr. Goddard was a freelance contractor and in recent weeks it had become clear that he is not the right fit for our organization.”

Now, that says to me they weren't concerned with his "work account" but with his views.   And that's not a reason to fire somebody.

And here is an article that says was I was trying to, but I failed to get my point across:

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/OtherSports/2011/05/12/18140521.html

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

if everyone just tended to their own business, and stopped worrying about other peoples business, think of what a wonderful world this would be! one big happy family. if we were all the same, it would be an awfully boring existence. let your freak flag fly!
    Posted by adkbeesfan

I'm going to agree with John Stewart's take on gay marriage......it doesn't matter to me as long as they don't make it mandatory.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

In Response to Re: Down is up. Up is down : Using the source that was posted by another member, you can see that it shows 37% are in favor of same-sex marriage. http://foxnewsinsider.com/2010/08/13/fox-newsopinion-dynamics-poll-how-do-americans-feel-about-gay-marriage/
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

You cant seriously cite a foxnews poll as a worthy source. You bashed liberal sources and then source foxnews.... Really?

Sections
Shortcuts