Downside to the great game

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Downside to the great game

Apologies if there is already a thread on this, and I assume that people have seen this hit from the Swiss league resulting in a paralyzed player.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-video-swiss-hockey-player-paralyzed-20130307,0,1089750.story

Lots of things depressing about this, but perhaps the most troubling is that nothing jumps out at you here as being particularly avoidable.  Not a dirty hit to me and nothing from an equipment or facility standpoint that could reasonably be changed.

And I know people will say that guys need to protect themselves, but that seemed to be what he was trying to do by initiating the contact and bracing himself.  Just underestimated how badly he would lose on the hit, as I'm sure we've all done before.  Hate to say it, but this is just a part of the game.  Reminds me of the Travis Roy injury.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Re: Downside to the great game

A reminder of just how bloody dangerous even a clean play can be - my dad has always contended that the hit that killed Masterton was clean though a bit bizarre, and he was a close friend of Masterton's. All accounts of the incident that killed Morenz that I've read were that he just lost an edge and a player landed on top of him acidentally. The play that almost killed Malarchuk was a tangle at the net that we've all seen hundreds of times. It's a fast game, and things can go south in a heartbeat even when players are playing the game right.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to OrrandShore's comment:

So, let me get this right - we know hockey is a fast paced and potentially dangerous sport.  Then why do we intentionally make it legal for GOONs like Shawn Thornton to go out every night and hurt, maim and injure opposing players??? 

Seems like the league needs to take another look in the mirror.  The high school kids that end up shooting up their schools in revenge are only imitating Shawn Thronton's behavior ---which is retaliate with violence.

WTF??

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

It only takes one idiot to ruin a thread.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

And one ignore button to not let it get to you :)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Agree with you red, it seems like many of the most horrific injuries happen from purely innocent circumstances.  I know the worst ones that I have seen stand out that way -- Malarchuk, Travis Roy, Brian Berard, etc.  That all seems to fall under (the horrible but) acceptable risk.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

Apologies if there is already a thread on this, and I assume that people have seen this hit from the Swiss league resulting in a paralyzed player.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-video-swiss-hockey-player-paralyzed-20130307,0,1089750.story

Lots of things depressing about this, but perhaps the most troubling is that nothing jumps out at you here as being particularly avoidable.  Not a dirty hit to me and nothing from an equipment or facility standpoint that could reasonably be changed.

And I know people will say that guys need to protect themselves, but that seemed to be what he was trying to do by initiating the contact and bracing himself.  Just underestimated how badly he would lose on the hit, as I'm sure we've all done before.  Hate to say it, but this is just a part of the game.  Reminds me of the Travis Roy injury.

I too thought contact was initiated by the player who ended up paralyzed. Bad luck playing a dangerous game. I felt sick watching the replays. It actually reminded me too much of what could've happened to Richards when he was shoved by Kaleta. It's too easy to be hurt when you hit the boards head first.