Draft picks for Kessel shake out

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Re: Draft picks for Kessel shake out

In response to DeadAhead's comment:

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:

for the record I think that Chiarelli made every single pick in the 2006 draft. I think he probably talked to some of the scouts and they came up with a list that he Ok'd. I know that he orchestrated the trade for Rask. I'm just giving Rusty a hard time because Chiarelli was not the acting GM at the time, Rusty refuses to believe in these things called facts, and I hate him. 

I like facts. I just don't like children pretending they know them or adults who are morons who speak as if they have been in businesssituations before, when they haven't.

You don't like facts - otherwise you wouldn't have spent a week arguing the facts about Eagleson and Orr and the circumstances around Eagleson as an agent, Orr's signing with Chicago, the Bruins ownership offer to Orr, and Eagleson's eventual imprisonment.

You only like the facts you choose not to ignore.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to bobruins' comment:

We trade Kessel because he won't play D, then we select a player in that trade who also won't play D or play in the corners and likes to party as a single guy.

This statement is false.............check the facts on the Kessel trade......

How about you tell me the facts?  I don't need to check anything. Julien didn't like his two way game.  The back part of his two way game is defense.

If that is not it, please enlighten me.

I will make it easy for you.... and highlight the key elements on the trade......

TSN Darren Dreger - 9/19/2009

The drama surrounding Phil Kessel has finally come to an end as the Boston Bruins have traded their disgruntled sniper to the Toronto Maple Leafs in exchange for a first and a second round pick in 2010, and a first round pick in 2011.

Kessel and the Maple Leafs then quickly agreed to terms on a new five-year, $27 million deal.

While both the Nashville Predators and New York Rangers had shown interest, Leafs' general manager Brian Burke's persistence finally paid off.

Kessel is expected to arrive in Toronto on Saturday.

Burke believes that this is a clear sign to the team which direction he believes they are headed.

"Bringing Phil Kessel aboard, it's a statement to our players that we intend to be competitive right away, and I think he gives us a dimension that we need," Burke told reporters following the Maple Leafs pre-season victory over the Penguins Friday.

He added that Kessel is extremely excited to be coming to Toronto.

"This is a free agent that could have signed with other teams, he wanted to sign with us, and I think it's an important pick up for us."

While Burke admitted that the price-tag to acquire a player like Kessel was high, it was feasible for several reasons.

"It's a very high price but it's one we feel makes sense for us and I think what's made it possible to expend those picks is two focuses: one is that he's a young player, he's not even 22 yet," Burke said.

"And second, we think with some of the players we acquired without giving up picks like Tyler Bozak, (Robert) Slaney, (Christian) Hanson and (Jonas) Gustavsson, these are players that were they available on the draft would command a high price like that. We feel by stocking the cupboard we can take some of the cans off the shelf for the future."

The trade ends a saga that began during the lead-up to the NHL Draft when Kessel originally appeared to be headed to Toronto in exchange for defenceman Tomas Kaberle and a draft pick.  However, the deal was scuttled at the last moment due to a miscommunication over the pick.

The Bruins had been unable to re-sign the 21-year old Kessel and the two sides were miles apart on a new contract. A restricted free agent, Kessel was reportedly looking for a deal in the neighbourhood of $4-5 million a season, while the Bruins, who are right up against the league mandated $56.8 million salary cap, could not afford to sign the Madison, Wisconsin native to the terms he desired.

Kessel informed the team through his agent last week that he was through negotiating and intended to sign an offer sheet with one of the league's other 29 clubs.

The newest Leaf, who is sidelined until at least November following rotator cuff surgery, overcame a battle with testicular cancer in 2006 and captured the Masterton Trophy in 2007 for perseverance and dedication to hockey. He enjoyed a career season with the Bruins last year, leading the team with 36 goals in 70 games while adding 24 assists to finish with a career high 60 points. He was selected in the first round, fifth overall by the Bruins in the 2006 NHL Entry draft.

Did this enlight you?...........or do you still think they traded Kessel because he wouldn't play D............

nothing will ever enlighten rusty. my dog just saw that. she's more enlightened than rusty will be. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from marco0863. Show marco0863's posts

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:

We trade Kessel because he won't play D, then we select a player in that trade who also won't play D or play in the corners and likes to party as a single guy.

This statement is false.............check the facts on the Kessel trade......

How about you tell me the facts?  I don't need to check anything. Julien didn't like his two way game.  The back part of his two way game is defense.

If that is not it, please enlighten me.

I will make it easy for you.... and highlight the key elements on the trade......

TSN Darren Dreger - 9/19/2009

The drama surrounding Phil Kessel has finally come to an end as the Boston Bruins have traded their disgruntled sniper to the Toronto Maple Leafs in exchange for a first and a second round pick in 2010, and a first round pick in 2011.

Kessel and the Maple Leafs then quickly agreed to terms on a new five-year, $27 million deal.

While both the Nashville Predators and New York Rangers had shown interest, Leafs' general manager Brian Burke's persistence finally paid off.

Kessel is expected to arrive in Toronto on Saturday.

Burke believes that this is a clear sign to the team which direction he believes they are headed.

"Bringing Phil Kessel aboard, it's a statement to our players that we intend to be competitive right away, and I think he gives us a dimension that we need," Burke told reporters following the Maple Leafs pre-season victory over the Penguins Friday.

He added that Kessel is extremely excited to be coming to Toronto.

"This is a free agent that could have signed with other teams, he wanted to sign with us, and I think it's an important pick up for us."

While Burke admitted that the price-tag to acquire a player like Kessel was high, it was feasible for several reasons.

"It's a very high price but it's one we feel makes sense for us and I think what's made it possible to expend those picks is two focuses: one is that he's a young player, he's not even 22 yet," Burke said.

"And second, we think with some of the players we acquired without giving up picks like Tyler Bozak, (Robert) Slaney, (Christian) Hanson and (Jonas) Gustavsson, these are players that were they available on the draft would command a high price like that. We feel by stocking the cupboard we can take some of the cans off the shelf for the future."

The trade ends a saga that began during the lead-up to the NHL Draft when Kessel originally appeared to be headed to Toronto in exchange for defenceman Tomas Kaberle and a draft pick.  However, the deal was scuttled at the last moment due to a miscommunication over the pick.

The Bruins had been unable to re-sign the 21-year old Kessel and the two sides were miles apart on a new contract. A restricted free agent, Kessel was reportedly looking for a deal in the neighbourhood of $4-5 million a season, while the Bruins, who are right up against the league mandated $56.8 million salary cap, could not afford to sign the Madison, Wisconsin native to the terms he desired.

Kessel informed the team through his agent last week that he was through negotiating and intended to sign an offer sheet with one of the league's other 29 clubs.

The newest Leaf, who is sidelined until at least November following rotator cuff surgery, overcame a battle with testicular cancer in 2006 and captured the Masterton Trophy in 2007 for perseverance and dedication to hockey. He enjoyed a career season with the Bruins last year, leading the team with 36 goals in 70 games while adding 24 assists to finish with a career high 60 points. He was selected in the first round, fifth overall by the Bruins in the 2006 NHL Entry draft.

Did this enlight you?...........or do you still think they traded Kessel because he wouldn't play D............

nothing will ever enlighten rusty. my dog just saw that. she's more enlightened than rusty will be. 

• Well until this post I didn't know just  how much you like rusty now I know

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to bim09's comment:

Tyler Toffoli - On fiyah!

[/QUOTE]

Toffoli is a good young player. There was never any question about that from anyone. 

But don't you think it's a little silly having a " I told you so " thread cosidering you adored the fabulous prospect named Kirill Kabanov over both Toffoli and Jeff Skinner with his "below average skating for NHL" ( your words ...... which still ranks close to the top of the most stupid comments on bdc ). 

P.S. Still watching ( and ranking ) all the draft prospects or just liking which names roll off your tongue better ? 

Kirrrrrrrilllllllll !

In response to kelvana33's comment:
    [

I would assume your in the minorty here, even in this forum.

[/QUOTE]

I would assume you were satisfied with Seguin's "tippy toe"style of play and playoff contributions to the Bruins then ?

Come playoff time, count me in as being in the minority. With Seguin .........been there and done that..........and wasn't encouraged or impressed with him being an impact player.

He was a fringe player at best.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

In response to marco0863's comment:

he Bruins hired a new General Manager in Peter Chiarelli some four weeks ago. Unfortunately, the National Hockey League has ruled that he must stay with his former team – the Ottawa Senators - and cannot assume his new post on Legends Way until July 15. So until then, Bruins Interim General Manager Jeff Gorton is in charge and has done an admirable job thus far.

marco, if you want to know why Rusty has been banned so many times, just look at how often he insults other posters in his comments.  "Adults who are morons"?  It invariably escalates into an insult-fest nearly every time he comes around, no matter which forum it is, who else is around, or what year it is.

Assuming what you have posted here is true - that the League dictated that Chiarelli must remain with Ottawa, rather than it be a decision by the Senators' FO, I can believe that they gave Chiarelli more leeway that I was considering before.  He still couldn't be an active part of negotiations or draft-day discussions, though.  Gorton's influence can't be completely dismissed.

Drcc

You are a very respectful poster you keep your cool and always from what I've seen answer nicely.  You are never rude that's commendable however if  part or all of the reason rusty got banned was because of his insultsThen you have to be fair and agree that at least 2-3 posters should be banned as well. 

Until proven otherwise gorton was responsible for rask and s bunch of great picks.  This is why the rangers want him to ultimately replace Sather.  

• You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Shere volume of insults tends to make up the difference, I think, and some of those posters I am sure you have in mind have actually been banned before.  If it were only a recent thing, or had only happened a couple of times I could buy the persecution angle - but this has happened what, a dozen times?  Over maybe 4 years?

Thank you for your kind words.  You should take them and consider that rusty can even drive me bat shiite crazy at times.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Using vulgarity or insults in one thread is more likely to just get individual posts blocked.  Repeating it over and over day in and day out gets the account banned.  There are limits for getting posts blocked, reported, ignored, etc.  When you post 1,000 times a week, like Rusty, and you're always fighting with everyone else, you're bound to hit the limit.

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

Using vulgarity or insults in one thread is more likely to just get individual posts blocked.  Repeating it over and over day in and day out gets the account banned.  There are limits for getting posts blocked, reported, ignored, etc.  When you post 1,000 times a week, like Rusty, and you're always fighting with everyone else, you're bound to hit the limit.

Fletch 

There are other posters here that Get away with vulgarity cuz they're kiss a $$. Theyre posts are constantly removed but some of u let him be cuz he's  a kiss @$$.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:

In response to kelvana33's comment:
    [

I would assume your in the minorty here, even in this forum.

I would assume you were satisfied with Seguin's "tippy toe"style of play and playoff contributions to the Bruins then ?

Come playoff time, count me in as being in the minority. With Seguin .........been there and done that..........and wasn't encouraged or impressed with him being an impact player.

He was a fringe player at best.

Thats great Chowda, but the post was about Kessel not Seguin.

Thanks though.

•  

Some of you are such homers.  I'll be patient and wait further before judging, but the fact is, two top 5 picks drafted in the last 5-7 years were gone in a flash simply because the Bruins GM was kind of a moron in taking that player.

[/QUOTE]

Change your screen name to DeadHead. 

Do you not realize that both Seguin and Kessel were the best available players on the Bruins draft board when they were drafted ? How is that being a moron ?

How they fit in to what the Bruins are structuring as a team didn't pan out. Round peg into a square hole.

Trading the player was the next option . Just take a look at the value received for those players. Substantial !

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:

Some of you are such homers.  I'll be patient and wait further before judging, but the fact is, two top 5 picks drafted in the last 5-7 years were gone in a flash simply because the Bruins GM was kind of a moron in taking that player.

Change your screen name to DeadHead. 

Do you not realize that both Seguin and Kessel were the best available players on the Bruins draft board when they were drafted ? How is that being a moron ?

How they fit in to what the Bruins are structuring as a team didn't pan out. Round peg into a square hole.- excuse

Trading the player was the next option . Just take a look at the value received for those players. Substantial !

Tell me what exactly is the value? 

•  
  • You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

They won a Stanley Cup.

They went to the finals.

They are one of the best teams in the league this year.

Understand that cup winning teams aren't built with fantasy hockey choices like you are doing.

Let me ask you this, take Seguin Kessel and a few other flashy scoring types and put them on the same team.  Do they win without anybody that bangs bodies, plays defense or backchecks?  YOU would say they would own the cup.

People who know what they are talking about would disagree.

• This post has been removed.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I don't care about that. I care about them not moving from Orr a year earlier and dealing him. The discussion was about proper GM work.  It was a failure. They knew they were not going to resign Orr.  That was the point. Sell high.

We could have gotten like 3 1st rd picks for him. Trust me, honey. I am way, way, way ahead of you on these concepts.

Oh my word.

He still goes back to this and continues to make a complete donkey of himself.

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

They won a Stanley Cup.

They went to the finals.

They are one of the best teams in the league this year.

Understand that cup winning teams aren't built with fantasy hockey choices like you are doing.

Let me ask you this, take Seguin Kessel and a few other flashy scoring types and put them on the same team.  Do they win without anybody that bangs bodies, plays defense or backchecks?  YOU would say they would own the cup.

People who know what they are talking about would disagree.

Very easy answer 

Use examples 

Take away crosby do  they win cup

Take away Malkin do they win cup

Take away  even Selanne do they win cup 

The bangers plumbers role players can only do their job after the "flashy" players do theirs

bad hab bruins won cup make no mistake the offensive talent was there.  Horton marchand krejci seguin berg lucic even ryder

• You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

Who cares who won in the trade? Bs have a cup and the Leafs stunk up the joint and gave up two high picks following the trade.

Looks like it worked out for Boston.  

I'll take a cup and the players we have now.

You can't look at what we have right at this moment and say "the Bs won/lost". It will take 5+ years for the trade to be properly evaluated.

Didn't the Glen Wesley trade eventually end up giving the Bs Lucic?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

The bangers plumbers role players can only do their job after the "flashy" players do theirs

What the livingfuck are you talking about?

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

What the livingfuck are you talking about?

I can write a lot of this but from my phone way to o tedious. 

The goal scores do their scoring the plumbers help protect it and chip in a few.

U can't win if you don't have the talent won't happen. for ex - rangers have a great goalie but not much offensive talent they might win a series or two but that's it s far as they go before they run out of gas. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Not the case. See, I'm kinda intelligent so I like to do tests.

I do nothing worse than anyone else, so when I see trolls or belligerent Brady Ball Washers on there and I call it out, they respond with attacks, namecalling and all kinds of board violations, never have been banned. So, the rules aren't held evenly.

It's really  trolls with multiple accounts who are mortified I have destroyed them in debates so they use those different board names to report me.  Once you get reported so many times, your account becomes disabled. See, I see it as a badge now. The fact I can point to the hypocrist and comeback, still myself, being right, and point to it, I win.

And, considering I have stalkers/trolls who follow me around on every post, they post as much as I do and break more rules on the board than I ever have.

So, I like to point out hypocrisy when I can. I don't like hypocrites. Until the mods ban the clear trolls and board violators consistently, they have no principle.  

Like your buddy NAS here? Complete poseur tool with no friends. You are his "friend" and you don't even know it.  This is his social outlet.

For every post of yours in every single Game Thread here over an 82 game season that has 2-3 words in it, those are meaningless posts with no substance, too, so one cares about post counts.

A susbantiative post is better than one that doesn't mean anything. Glad I could help correct you, Fletch.

Hmmm...I am one person here who has paid very little attention to you, so I wouldn't be able to comment on your style too much, like you do mine.  

What I have noticed though, is a long pattern of losing debates badly, grasping at straws endlessly, and then restorting to insulting the people that are trying to bring you up to speed (eg. Bobby Orr 'trade'). 

That's why you get banned, I would guess.  But I've never reported you, so don't look at me.  I find you boring.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

In response to bim09's comment:

+1 Stanley Cup, -1 Stanley Cup.

Eriksson, Smith, Hamilton and Knight:

Eriksson - Concussion magnet, grinder, JAG.

Smith - Better than Seguin in alot of area's, more consistent.

Hamilton - Longway to go.

Knight - Injury prone, AHL 2nd line forward.

Tyler Toffoli - On fiyah!

Wow, you started right out with dumb. You're perhaps the only person that's ever watched Eriksson play who came away with the idea that he was a grinder. He's been one of the league's most consistent scoring wingers for the last 5 years while playing stellar D along the way. Concussion magnet? That's perhaps the dumbest thing youu've ever stated. The guy missed 3 games in the last 5 years before getting mugged by Scott. Feel free to list all of the guys who played more games than him in that time span. I'm sure the list is incredibly short. Hey, I get it Bim. He's no Kabanov but give the guy a break. In all seriousness, is it also Savard's fault that he was hit into retirement? How about that Bergeron? I really hate the way he attracts concussions.

If my comments are dumb then what does that say about your detailed replies?

Lemme break it down for you the way I see it.  Eriksson's been playing in the West; a skating conference.  He's never had to worry that much about some guy cleaning his clock at the blue line.  But in the East the game is a little more physical and you have to keep your head up a little more.  But, it appears that Eriksson is still playing a Western conference game.  And, that's just inviting unsuspecting heavy hits.

• Sections
    Shortcuts