Draft picks for Kessel shake out

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Draft picks for Kessel shake out

In response to DeadAhead's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I am just saying, Chia knew about Kessel's style of play and Seguin's.  It's not like those elements of their skill sets were mysteries.

[/QUOTE]

Everyone found out about Kessel before the draft.  That's why he fell to 5th.  He was originally talked about as the #1 overall.

Who do you think the B's should have taken at #5 instead of the guy with 201 goals (top in the draft) and 207 assists (4th in the draft)?

To make your research easier (and because I cannot wait for the answer), here's the list.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]

Answer my question: ARE YOU FROM NEW ENGLAND?

[/QUOTE]

From a disaster of a thread on the Pats side:

DeadAhead's comment:
    [QUOTE]

WHo cares about anyone's personal life unless you're gay for Brady or a female?

WHy do we real fans care about personal decisions of the players on the team?  It's like stalking.

[/QUOTE]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to bim09's comment:

+1 Stanley Cup, -1 Stanley Cup.

Eriksson, Smith, Hamilton and Knight:

Eriksson - Concussion magnet, grinder, JAG.

Smith - Better than Seguin in alot of area's, more consistent.

Hamilton - Longway to go.

Knight - Injury prone, AHL 2nd line forward.

Tyler Toffoli - On fiyah!

Wow, you started right out with dumb. You're perhaps the only person that's ever watched Eriksson play who came away with the idea that he was a grinder. He's been one of the league's most consistent scoring wingers for the last 5 years while playing stellar D along the way. Concussion magnet? That's perhaps the dumbest thing youu've ever stated. The guy missed 3 games in the last 5 years before getting mugged by Scott. Feel free to list all of the guys who played more games than him in that time span. I'm sure the list is incredibly short. Hey, I get it Bim. He's no Kabanov but give the guy a break. In all seriousness, is it also Savard's fault that he was hit into retirement? How about that Bergeron? I really hate the way he attracts concussions.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Well this thread was aimed at two posters we know. With all of mega trolls assertions about Seguin, the Bruins should have won last years cup. Right ?

So the point is Boston wins the  2013 cup with Kessel and Toffoli ?

or PC still doesn't draft well ? Or both ?

[/QUOTE]

I don;t think Chia drafts well. Who drafts someone who they think might have character flaws or isn't a system in the top 5 of a draft????

He did it not once, but twice!  It's the biggest stain on his resume here and it ain't debatable.

It's one thing if the top 5 picks in a draft are not strong on a given year, maybe he should have traded back, etc, those sorts of discussions, but that does not apply here.

You don't just knee jerk a top 5 pick like that.  Kessel was never known for playing D and I am sure Seguin had a rep as a finesse player who liked to party before they drafted him.

So yes, his drafting has been weak overall. His trades, meanwhile and the player development of acquired players has been good, however.

[/QUOTE]

football is a much different sport than hockey. with hockey players character issues are partying too much. Most players grow out of it. In football character issues are being a murderer, drug dealer, running dog fighting, hitting cops, carrying guns with armor piercing bullets...that kinda thing. 

[/QUOTE]

I agree, which is why botching the two top 5 picks is worse.  Also, an NFL GM has to field 53 players under a cap.  Much more difficult.

NBA is the easiest, hockey 2nd easiest and the NFL a distant 3rd because of what you just said.

NBA, you only need 3 stars. The rest you can fill in the gaps with in FA or development. Make sure your 3 stars are generally good character guys, and you're good.

I am just saying, Chia knew about Kessel's style of play and Seguin's.  It's not like those elements of their skill sets were mysteries.

[/QUOTE]

first. no. it's way harder to draft a guy who acts like a teenager and predicting if they are going to grow up than it is to draft a guy whos a criminal and predict whether he's going to stop being a criminal. Secondly Chiarelli drafted the best players available, and traded them for top value, therefore maximizing his draft currency. you are an idiot. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

oh goddamnit is this rusty's new name?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I just don't like Phil Kessel.  Sorry.  I think he's a guy who can completely dominate bad teams and can be completely dominated by good teams.  Last year's playoffs was not, to my mind, Kessel raising his level of play.  He has, to my surprise, been much more effective over the last few years.  He has also showed signs this year that his habit of disappearing and sending his team into a tailspin isn't going away.  I'm glad he's not a Bruin, and I don't have to feel guilty about that because they won a Cup essentially with players they acquired with the cap space and picks moving him brought in.  As for the Kessel trade having any bearing on the Chicago series, I think the Oates, Tocchet, Ranford trade was more germane to the Bruins losing that series.  Boy, could they have used Adam Oates and Rick Tocchet.

[/QUOTE]

Book, Kessel is a highlight reel back-checker for all the wrong reasons. That's all I need to know about him.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]

oh goddamnit is this rusty's new name?

[/QUOTE]

What other complete and total loser could or would pull this off:

• First: 11/23/2013
    • Last: 12/11/2013

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:[QUOTE]oh goddamnit is this rusty's new name[/QUOTE]

LoL

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Bettman has delay of game called more often to get more scoring!

LoL

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to BadHabitude's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to marco0863's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Chiarelli best moves was horton seidenberg and ill give him the signing ooh chara eventhough technically he wasn't Gm

Soderberg might turn out to be another good move too

[/QUOTE]

Yes, they have admitted they don't like their drafting, that's why they fired their head of scouting.  So that matter is being addressed.

Signing Savard?  Krug?  Iginla?  The Paille trade?  Boychuk, Marchand, Rask - and all his other moves?  They don't even register with you?

Who's a better GM in the league?  Name someone who's even close.  Shero?  He inherited Crosby and Malkin, and how has he made that team better?  You?  Are you saying you're better at the job than PC?

[/QUOTE]

Come on now. There are plenty of better GMs.  I think Chiarelli is in the top 5 for now, but enough with this crowning of everything Bruins as the bestest.  I hate fans like this.

Ugh.

Take off your homer glasses. He's the only GM to have two top 5 picks in the last decade and to botch each.

Everything else, he's good at.  His trades are great. No issues there.  I thought the Jagr debacle last year probably cost us a Cup. Clearly, Iginla is a a better system fit than Jagr. So, he's clearly had some massive gaffes that have affected the team.  

His drafts in general have been poor.  They have.  Zach Hamill, Colborne, etc. I could list 7-10 names that people were all giddy about here that never turned into jack squat.

We trade Kessel because he won't play D, then we select a player in that trade who also won't play D or play in the corners and likes to party as a single guy.

Super.

Face it, those are two dopey situations.  It's comical.  Chia had a chance to redeem himself on Kessel and then totally blew it.

Now, if Smith, who I like a lot so far (very crafty and high IQ) and Eriksson work out long term, great.

I will say this: I don't want Chia to pay for one trick ponies.  I don't want to pay big bucks in the cap era for the players who only play one end of the ice.  It's why I hated the Jagr move.

We got sloppy seconds and it probably cost us the Cup.

[/QUOTE]

first off. he only had one top 5 pick. kessel wasn't his. you can argue that he was behind the kessel pick, and i'll agree with you. He didn't botch either one. He drafted two pieces that he traded for a huge haul. From those two picks he got two top six forward. a top 4 d man who happens to be 20 with upside to be better than both those players, two really good prospects and one good prospect, all while saving a boat load on the cap. your argument is asinine. Peter Chiarelli is hands down the best GM in the league. 

[/QUOTE]

Kessel was drafted in 2006, correct? Chia was  hired as GM in May of 2006 and it was his first executed draft pick.  How can you be hired as GM and go into your first draft and it not be yours?

Chiarelli is not "hands down" the best GM in the league.  If the Bruins win the Cup this year, I can see why that would be the case, but enough already.  He's done a good job and I am happy he's done that, but stop the homerism.

He was undressed at the trade deadline publicly by Jay Feaster last year. It was a massive embarrassment. I've never heard of a done deal that somehow wasn't a done deal before.

My argument is simply that it's not good to botch two top 5 picks in a draft. It's the anti-thesis of asinine.  It's horrendous to do it.

[/QUOTE]

i stopped reading after your first idiotic claim. Chiarelli was hired in May of 2006. He was then working for the Ottawa Senators. Because of this he couldn't take over in Boston until after the draft due to a conflict of interest. Idiot. 

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

He already stated that Chiarelli was working for Ottawa during the draft. God you're a tool!

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Some reading:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/8930/

Key part: "With newly named general manager Peter Chiarelli still tied up with obligations to the Ottawa Senators, and a coaching decision waiting on the horizon, interim General Manager Jeff Gorton made his first major trade on draft day when he sent Andrew Raycroft to Toronto in exchange for Finn goaltending prospect Tuukka Rask. The Bruins hung onto the No. 5 pick, a decision that paid off when they drafted University of Minnesota standout Phil Kessel"

So yes, Gorton made the pick.  If Chiarelli even talked to him about it, he'd be guilty of tampering.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to DrCC's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Some reading:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/8930/

Key part: "With newly named general manager Peter Chiarelli still tied up with obligations to the Ottawa Senators, and a coaching decision waiting on the horizon, interim General Manager Jeff Gorton made his first major trade on draft day when he sent Andrew Raycroft to Toronto in exchange for Finn goaltending prospect Tuukka Rask. The Bruins hung onto the No. 5 pick, a decision that paid off when they drafted University of Minnesota standout Phil Kessel"

So yes, Gorton made the pick.  If Chiarelli even talked to him about it, he'd be guilty of tampering.

[/QUOTE]

which he 100% was. Chiarelli definitely did everything, but from an official standpoint, he had not been in charge yet. Also, Gorton tried to draft the swede. 

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

I guess I just don't believe in ignoring and throwing out basic facts when they don't fit into my stance.  

He was under contract for the Senators.  The Senators were running their own draft.  Do you think they'd want him giving advice to a division rival?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Chiarelli didn't officially take over until July 15th.  He wasn't the GM of record on the draft day.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LocFS04sG4c

does that look like chiarelli? or Gorton rusty? I hope your brain explodes when you watch that from being wrong for the 200,000th time. 

25. This post has been removed.