Draft picks for Kessel shake out

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

Re: Draft picks for Kessel shake out

In response to DeadAhead's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He already stated that Chiarelli was working for Ottawa during the draft. God you're a tool!

[/QUOTE]

Chiarelli was not working for a division rival AFTER being signed in May. The draft is in June. He's the GM!

To imply he had zero involvement in that choice is one of the most phony sell jobs I've ever seen.

Of course he signed off on it!   He's the GM on record.  My god are you people sad.

[/QUOTE]

he was not the GM on record. he probably did sign off on it. From an official capacity he did not start working for the Bruins when he agreed to take the job. He was not an employee. He had no involvment with the organization. He agreed to take the job at a future date. This is called common knowledge for people that know anything about hockey, or the bruins. idiot. 

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to marco0863's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to DrCC's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Chiarelli didn't officially take over until July 15th.  He wasn't the GM of record on the draft day.

[/QUOTE]

tell bad hab that

he doest give gorton any credit at all. why? i have no idea

[/QUOTE]

because he's not an idiot and gorton doesn't deserve any credit. You and rusty were made for each other. 

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobruins. Show bobruins's posts

[/QUOTE]

We trade Kessel because he won't play D, then we select a player in that trade who also won't play D or play in the corners and likes to party as a single guy.

[/QUOTE]

This statement is false.............check the facts on the Kessel trade......

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

So his previous employers were incompetent and didn't block him?  They're smart people too.  

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

[QUOTE]

My god are you dumb. Would you take a management job without having control of such a crucial upcoming situation?

Would you?

[/QUOTE]

Is the alternative not taking the job?  Then yes.  Let the previous administration do what it thinks best, then clean up any mess if necessary when coming in.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

People hate to be challenged or called out when they are full of crap.

That statement explains almost every post you've ever made on this board. Tell us all again how Bobby Orr was traded. You get called out on crap all the time Rusty - because you're so consistantly wrong, and when you do cet called out you freak out or try to rewrite what you've said or defelect away.

So I agree with your statement completely - and you're exhibit number one.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Well, fair question, but that would mean, like I've always said, Chia was never the Bruins first choice. Shero was.   It's worked out fine since, but let's not change history here.

So, you can't have it both ways. None of us really know what was worked out i terms of "official" language between Ottawa and Boston, but it's VERY naive to think Boston did not, out of RESPECT for the GM, turn to Chiarelli and simply utter these words:

"We were thinking of going with Kessel, what do you think?"

Clearly, Chia signed off on it because Boston picked Kessel. If he said "NO way! He's uncoachable and I don't want to deal with that", then Kessel would not have been the pick.

Who hires a manager to put them in a bad spot? It happens, but this is way too high profile a role. 

Keep in mind this was on the heels of the Thornton debacle and the lockout which Jacobs spearheaded.

This was a very sensitive time that would not have gone to Jeff Freaking Gorton. If it was his choice, why wasn't he GM?

Bolded the really important part.  The only information we truly have is that Chiarelli agreed to be GM in May, but officially took over June July 15th.  Everything else is speculation.

Gorton was GM when the draft was done.  He's the one who had several months to hear from the Bruins' scouting department.  Maybe he finds a way to get a nod from Chiarelli on a single kind of move - like drafting Kessel - but that doesn't really make it Chiarelli's choice; merely his acquiescence.  Perhaps his choice would have been to trade down as you suggested (which is not a common strategy in the NHL, there's just too steep of a drop in talent past the first few picks), but he couldn't then get Gorton to get the guy he wanted without an in-depth discussion, or worse taking part in negotiations.  He certainly couldn't do that.  For instance, I doubt he had any part in negotiating the trade for Rask.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobruins. Show bobruins's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to bobruins' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

We trade Kessel because he won't play D, then we select a player in that trade who also won't play D or play in the corners and likes to party as a single guy.

[/QUOTE]

This statement is false.............check the facts on the Kessel trade......

[/QUOTE]

How about you tell me the facts?  I don't need to check anything. Julien didn't like his two way game.  The back part of his two way game is defense.

If that is not it, please enlighten me.

[/QUOTE]

I will make it easy for you.... and highlight the key elements on the trade......

TSN Darren Dreger - 9/19/2009

The drama surrounding Phil Kessel has finally come to an end as the Boston Bruins have traded their disgruntled sniper to the Toronto Maple Leafs in exchange for a first and a second round pick in 2010, and a first round pick in 2011.

Kessel and the Maple Leafs then quickly agreed to terms on a new five-year, $27 million deal.

While both the Nashville Predators and New York Rangers had shown interest, Leafs' general manager Brian Burke's persistence finally paid off.

Kessel is expected to arrive in Toronto on Saturday.

Burke believes that this is a clear sign to the team which direction he believes they are headed.

"Bringing Phil Kessel aboard, it's a statement to our players that we intend to be competitive right away, and I think he gives us a dimension that we need," Burke told reporters following the Maple Leafs pre-season victory over the Penguins Friday.

He added that Kessel is extremely excited to be coming to Toronto.

"This is a free agent that could have signed with other teams, he wanted to sign with us, and I think it's an important pick up for us."

While Burke admitted that the price-tag to acquire a player like Kessel was high, it was feasible for several reasons.

"It's a very high price but it's one we feel makes sense for us and I think what's made it possible to expend those picks is two focuses: one is that he's a young player, he's not even 22 yet," Burke said.

"And second, we think with some of the players we acquired without giving up picks like Tyler Bozak, (Robert) Slaney, (Christian) Hanson and (Jonas) Gustavsson, these are players that were they available on the draft would command a high price like that. We feel by stocking the cupboard we can take some of the cans off the shelf for the future."

The trade ends a saga that began during the lead-up to the NHL Draft when Kessel originally appeared to be headed to Toronto in exchange for defenceman Tomas Kaberle and a draft pick.  However, the deal was scuttled at the last moment due to a miscommunication over the pick.

The Bruins had been unable to re-sign the 21-year old Kessel and the two sides were miles apart on a new contract. A restricted free agent, Kessel was reportedly looking for a deal in the neighbourhood of $4-5 million a season, while the Bruins, who are right up against the league mandated $56.8 million salary cap, could not afford to sign the Madison, Wisconsin native to the terms he desired.

Kessel informed the team through his agent last week that he was through negotiating and intended to sign an offer sheet with one of the league's other 29 clubs.

The newest Leaf, who is sidelined until at least November following rotator cuff surgery, overcame a battle with testicular cancer in 2006 and captured the Masterton Trophy in 2007 for perseverance and dedication to hockey. He enjoyed a career season with the Bruins last year, leading the team with 36 goals in 70 games while adding 24 assists to finish with a career high 60 points. He was selected in the first round, fifth overall by the Bruins in the 2006 NHL Entry draft.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to DrCC's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Well, fair question, but that would mean, like I've always said, Chia was never the Bruins first choice. Shero was.   It's worked out fine since, but let's not change history here.

So, you can't have it both ways. None of us really know what was worked out i terms of "official" language between Ottawa and Boston, but it's VERY naive to think Boston did not, out of RESPECT for the GM, turn to Chiarelli and simply utter these words:

"We were thinking of going with Kessel, what do you think?"

Clearly, Chia signed off on it because Boston picked Kessel. If he said "NO way! He's uncoachable and I don't want to deal with that", then Kessel would not have been the pick.

Who hires a manager to put them in a bad spot? It happens, but this is way too high profile a role. 

Keep in mind this was on the heels of the Thornton debacle and the lockout which Jacobs spearheaded.

This was a very sensitive time that would not have gone to Jeff Freaking Gorton. If it was his choice, why wasn't he GM?

[/QUOTE]

Bolded the really important part.  The only information we truly have is that Chiarelli agreed to be GM in May, but officially took over June 15th.  Everything else is speculation.

Gorton was GM when the draft was done.  He's the one who had several months to hear from the Bruins' scouting department.  Maybe he finds a way to get a nod from Chiarelli on a single kind of move - like drafting Kessel - but that doesn't really make it Chiarelli's choice; merely his acquiescence.  Perhaps his choice would have been to trade down as you suggested (which is not a common strategy in the NHL, there's just too steep of a drop in talent past the first few picks), but he couldn't then get Gorton to get the guy he wanted without an in-depth discussion, or worse taking part in negotiations.  He certainly couldn't do that.  For instance, I doubt he had any part in negotiating the trade for Rask.

[/QUOTE]

Good post Doc, but it was July not June.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Rusty,

I agree with you that Kessel is a Chiarelli pick. Gorton wasn't doing anything on his own there. He was told what to do by Chiarelli.

But I disagree with you when you say he botched those two top 5 picks in Kessel and Seguin. Kessel certainly was not traded becuase he wasn't good enough. He had 36 goals in his last year in Boston and was a plus 23. He wanted more than they were willing to give him.

As for Seguin. Theres no doubting his talent. I don;t think there were any character issues at all before he was drafted. This all came about the summer after the Cup. When the Oilers took Taylor Hall at number 1, why would Chiarelli not take the number one ranked player in Tyler Seguin? He was ranked number one overall by Central Scouting.

If you were to say Zach Hamill and Jordan Caron are stains on Chiarellis resume I'd agree with you. But not when it comes to Seguin and Kessel. They certainly werent traded because they arent good enough.

25. This post has been removed.