Draft picks for Kessel shake out

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Re: Draft picks for Kessel shake out

In response to kelvana33's comment:

Rusty,

I agree with you that Kessel is a Chiarelli pick. Gorton wasn't doing anything on his own there. He was told what to do by Chiarelli.

But I disagree with you when you say he botched those two top 5 picks in Kessel and Seguin. Kessel certainly was not traded becuase he wasn't good enough. He had 36 goals in his last year in Boston and was a plus 23. He wanted more than they were willing to give him.

As for Seguin. Theres no doubting his talent. I don;t think there were any character issues at all before he was drafted. This all came about the summer after the Cup. When the Oilers took Taylor Hall at number 1, why would Chiarelli not take the number one ranked player in Tyler Seguin? He was ranked number one overall by Central Scouting.

If you were to say Zach Hamill and Jordan Caron are stains on Chiarellis resume I'd agree with you. But not when it comes to Seguin and Kessel. They certainly werent traded because they arent good enough.

I agree Kel. Who but Seguin would any sane GM pick? The top 2 picks were going to be Hall and Seguin and the Oilers chose 1st. PC was going to pick whichever one the Oilers didn't. It was that simple.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Goddamn. 

Rusty gets run out of the Pats board so he's back infecting this one.

Misery.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from marco0863. Show marco0863's posts

Rusty i can agree on some of your points on seguin but not the ones on Chiarelli at least not most of them .

thinking that for ex- PC was reponsible for the RASK trade is pure speculation and all i know is the best drafting took place with Gorton since he left NADA-coincidence > no way

gorton said that Marchand is the sleeper of the draft

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to marco0863's comment:

Rusty i can agree on some of your points on seguin but not the ones on Chiarelli at least not most of them .

thinking that for ex- PC was reponsible for the RASK trade is pure speculation and all i know is the best drafting took place with Gorton since he left NADA-coincidence > no way

Marco, this thread has outgrown you. Go away now.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from marco0863. Show marco0863's posts

Marco, this thread has outgrown you. Go away now.

and why is that- now now kelv be nice - you know what happens whe n u get naughty

Along with Kessel, the Bruins made five other selections at the Entry Draft – three forwards (Milan Lucic, Brad Marchand, and Levi Nelson) and two defensemen (Yuri Alexandrov and Andrew Bodnarchuk). Gorton believes Marchand might be the “sleeper” pick of the group.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from marco0863. Show marco0863's posts

he Bruins hired a new General Manager in Peter Chiarelli some four weeks ago. Unfortunately, the National Hockey League has ruled that he must stay with his former team – the Ottawa Senators - and cannot assume his new post on Legends Way until July 15. So until then, Bruins Interim General Manager Jeff Gorton is in charge and has done an admirable job thus far.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to DeadAhead's comment:

Rusty,

I agree with you that Kessel is a Chiarelli pick. Gorton wasn't doing anything on his own there. He was told what to do by Chiarelli.

But I disagree with you when you say he botched those two top 5 picks in Kessel and Seguin. Kessel certainly was not traded becuase he wasn't good enough. He had 36 goals in his last year in Boston and was a plus 23. He wanted more than they were willing to give him.

As for Seguin. Theres no doubting his talent. I don;t think there were any character issues at all before he was drafted. This all came about the summer after the Cup. When the Oilers took Taylor Hall at number 1, why would Chiarelli not take the number one ranked player in Tyler Seguin? He was ranked number one overall by Central Scouting.

If you were to say Zach Hamill and Jordan Caron are stains on Chiarellis resume I'd agree with you. But not when it comes to Seguin and Kessel. They certainly werent traded because they arent good enough.

He could have dealt the #2 pick instead of picking Seguin.  You act like he had to pick Seguin.

The other thing is, he could have picked Seguin and immediately tried to deal him as a chip and fleeced someone.

The point is, they probably should not have given up on him so quick if they were also concerned about his Bruins material style of play.

I am either sold to the moon and back and think it's a slam dunk x 1000 with a pick 1-5 in the NFL or the NHL, or I am not.

It almost comes off like in each case, Chia wasn't totally sold.  Kessel, fine.  He was a new GM, but you fleeced Toronto and then didn't make it count!  It's pretty embarrassing.

Now, if Smith and Eriksson become great here, all bets are off, but come on.  Just call it like it is, hope it comes back around and move on.

Kessel would have been great here as a 30+ goal scoring sniper and PP guy on the 1st line. I get he doesn't play D, but we had people praising the Jagr move here last spring.

What a joke. Can't have it both ways.

Looking back, he should have traded the # 2 pick. NAS said this the other day. Seguin was drafted as a center, and the Bruins already had Savard,Bergeron and Krejci on their roster. Perhaps they were concerned about Savard and Bergeron with their concussion history. Who knows, but like Dez said, both him and Hall were going 1 and 2.

But on draft day, I don't remember anyone suggesting the Bruins trade the pick. I know they were given offers like anyone sitting in the top 2 gets, but nobody suggested trading it as Hall and Seguin were regarded as two of the better players to come out in a while.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from marco0863. Show marco0863's posts

Kessel would have been great here as a 30+ goal scoring sniper and PP guy on the 1st line. I get he doesn't play D, but we had people praising the Jagr move here last spring.

good point

it is a case of when you're in you're in and when you're out you're out

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

I am just saying, Chia knew about Kessel's style of play and Seguin's.  It's not like those elements of their skill sets were mysteries.

Everyone found out about Kessel before the draft.  That's why he fell to 5th.  He was originally talked about as the #1 overall.

Who do you think the B's should have taken at #5 instead of the guy with 201 goals (top in the draft) and 207 assists (4th in the draft)?

To make your research easier (and because I cannot wait for the answer), here's the list.

I'm waiting for an answer to this one.

Think it will come?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

for the record I think that Chiarelli made every single pick in the 2006 draft. I think he probably talked to some of the scouts and they came up with a list that he Ok'd. I know that he orchestrated the trade for Rask. I'm just giving Rusty a hard time because Chiarelli was not the acting GM at the time, Rusty refuses to believe in these things called facts, and I hate him. 

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from marco0863. Show marco0863's posts

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:

for the record I think that Chiarelli made every single pick in the 2006 draft. I think he probably talked to some of the scouts and they came up with a list that he Ok'd. I know that he orchestrated the trade for Rask. I'm just giving Rusty a hard time because Chiarelli was not the acting GM at the time, Rusty refuses to believe in these things called facts, and I hate him. 

I know that he orchestrated the trade for Rask.

you must know something everyone does not- speculation my dear guesswork

one thing certain since jeff left we stank in the draft.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I am just saying, Chia knew about Kessel's style of play and Seguin's.  It's not like those elements of their skill sets were mysteries.

Everyone found out about Kessel before the draft.  That's why he fell to 5th.  He was originally talked about as the #1 overall.

Who do you think the B's should have taken at #5 instead of the guy with 201 goals (top in the draft) and 207 assists (4th in the draft)?

To make your research easier (and because I cannot wait for the answer), here's the list.

Think it will come?

Still waiting...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from marco0863. Show marco0863's posts

Rusty,

He could have dealt the #2 pick instead of picking Seguin.  You act like he had to pick Seguin.

The other thing is, he could have picked Seguin and immediately tried to deal him as a chip and fleeced someone.

The point is, they probably should not have given up on him so quick if they were also concerned about his Bruins material style of play.

I am either sold to the moon and back and think it's a slam dunk x 1000 with a pick 1-5 in the NFL or the NHL, or I am not.

It almost comes off like in each case, Chia wasn't totally sold.  Kessel, fine.  He was a new GM, but you fleeced Toronto and then didn't make it count!  It's pretty embarrassing.

Now, if Smith and Eriksson become great here, all bets are off, but come on.  Just call it like it is, hope it comes back around and move on.

Looking back, he should have traded the # 2 pick. NAS said this the other day. Seguin was drafted as a center, and the Bruins already had Savard,Bergeron and Krejci on their roster. Perhaps they were concerned about Savard and Bergeron with their concussion history. Who knows, but like Dez said, both him and Hall were going 1 and 2.

But on draft day, I don't remember anyone suggesting the Bruins trade the pick. I know they were given offers like anyone sitting in the top 2 gets, but nobody suggested trading it as Hall and Seguin were regarded as two of the better players to come out in a while.

NAS made that point yet he his being disingenous trying to troll and follow me around, now changing his opinion?

Classic phony NAS.

Keep in mind, this is the same person who used to rub himself silly in the balcony of the old Garden's balcony around fat, old men. lmao

how do you know that ? you were there watching him- lol

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

Rusty,

who would they have traded down to get though? fowler? gudbranson? I don't think any combination of players and prospects they would have gotten for the number 2 overall pick would come close to the package they got for tyler seguin. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from marco0863. Show marco0863's posts

Think it will come?

Still waiting...

maybe the team who picked johnson should have picked kessel,

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from marco0863. Show marco0863's posts

\hello they could have traded for a an active young player but the pick was good the trade wasn't

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from marco0863. Show marco0863's posts

Rusty,

NAS made that point yet he his being disingenous trying to troll and follow me around, now changing his opinion?

Classic phony NAS.

Keep in mind, this is the same person who used to rub himself silly in the balcony of the old Garden's balcony around fat, old men. lmao

how do you know that ? you were there watching him- lol

He told the board. It was on his the "Favorite Moments Of the Old Garden" thread.  No lie. He claimed be wrestled some date up there, but it's a lie. Anyone who used to go into that crap hole beautiful arena knows no chick is giving you a hand job.

It was quite funny and one of the more easily detectable fake story I've ever heard.

come on - this is  late night laugh. - sorry but who in their right mind would say something like that and on which board was it- inquiring minds want to know

the boston gossip- maybe REd would love this

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

This is who I think when Rusty ventures over LoL

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

This is who I think when Rusty ventures over LoL

i hope the starbucks he lurks at to get free internet kicks him out. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobruins. Show bobruins's posts

In response to bobruins' comment:

In response to bobruins' comment:

We trade Kessel because he won't play D, then we select a player in that trade who also won't play D or play in the corners and likes to party as a single guy.

This statement is false.............check the facts on the Kessel trade......

How about you tell me the facts?  I don't need to check anything. Julien didn't like his two way game.  The back part of his two way game is defense.

If that is not it, please enlighten me.

I will make it easy for you.... and highlight the key elements on the trade......

TSN Darren Dreger - 9/19/2009

The drama surrounding Phil Kessel has finally come to an end as the Boston Bruins have traded their disgruntled sniper to the Toronto Maple Leafs in exchange for a first and a second round pick in 2010, and a first round pick in 2011.

Kessel and the Maple Leafs then quickly agreed to terms on a new five-year, $27 million deal.

While both the Nashville Predators and New York Rangers had shown interest, Leafs' general manager Brian Burke's persistence finally paid off.

Kessel is expected to arrive in Toronto on Saturday.

Burke believes that this is a clear sign to the team which direction he believes they are headed.

"Bringing Phil Kessel aboard, it's a statement to our players that we intend to be competitive right away, and I think he gives us a dimension that we need," Burke told reporters following the Maple Leafs pre-season victory over the Penguins Friday.

He added that Kessel is extremely excited to be coming to Toronto.

"This is a free agent that could have signed with other teams, he wanted to sign with us, and I think it's an important pick up for us."

While Burke admitted that the price-tag to acquire a player like Kessel was high, it was feasible for several reasons.

"It's a very high price but it's one we feel makes sense for us and I think what's made it possible to expend those picks is two focuses: one is that he's a young player, he's not even 22 yet," Burke said.

"And second, we think with some of the players we acquired without giving up picks like Tyler Bozak, (Robert) Slaney, (Christian) Hanson and (Jonas) Gustavsson, these are players that were they available on the draft would command a high price like that. We feel by stocking the cupboard we can take some of the cans off the shelf for the future."

The trade ends a saga that began during the lead-up to the NHL Draft when Kessel originally appeared to be headed to Toronto in exchange for defenceman Tomas Kaberle and a draft pick.  However, the deal was scuttled at the last moment due to a miscommunication over the pick.

The Bruins had been unable to re-sign the 21-year old Kessel and the two sides were miles apart on a new contract. A restricted free agent, Kessel was reportedly looking for a deal in the neighbourhood of $4-5 million a season, while the Bruins, who are right up against the league mandated $56.8 million salary cap, could not afford to sign the Madison, Wisconsin native to the terms he desired.

Kessel informed the team through his agent last week that he was through negotiating and intended to sign an offer sheet with one of the league's other 29 clubs.

The newest Leaf, who is sidelined until at least November following rotator cuff surgery, overcame a battle with testicular cancer in 2006 and captured the Masterton Trophy in 2007 for perseverance and dedication to hockey. He enjoyed a career season with the Bruins last year, leading the team with 36 goals in 70 games while adding 24 assists to finish with a career high 60 points. He was selected in the first round, fifth overall by the Bruins in the 2006 NHL Entry draft.

Did this enlight you?...........or do you still think they traded Kessel because he wouldn't play D............

Sections
Shortcuts