Draft picks for Kessel shake out

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from marco0863. Show marco0863's posts

Re: Draft picks for Kessel shake out

In response to bim09's comment:

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

+1 Stanley Cup, -1 Stanley Cup.

Eriksson, Smith, Hamilton and Knight:

Eriksson - Concussion magnet, grinder, JAG.

Smith - Better than Seguin in alot of area's, more consistent.

Hamilton - Longway to go.

Knight - Injury prone, AHL 2nd line forward.

Tyler Toffoli - On fiyah!

Wow, you started right out with dumb. You're perhaps the only person that's ever watched Eriksson play who came away with the idea that he was a grinder. He's been one of the league's most consistent scoring wingers for the last 5 years while playing stellar D along the way. Concussion magnet? That's perhaps the dumbest thing youu've ever stated. The guy missed 3 games in the last 5 years before getting mugged by Scott. Feel free to list all of the guys who played more games than him in that time span. I'm sure the list is incredibly short. Hey, I get it Bim. He's no Kabanov but give the guy a break. In all seriousness, is it also Savard's fault that he was hit into retirement? How about that Bergeron? I really hate the way he attracts concussions.

If my comments are dumb then what does that say about your detailed replies?

Lemme break it down for you the way I see it.  Eriksson's been playing in the West; a skating conference.  He's never had to worry that much about some guy cleaning his clock at the blue line.  But in the East the game is a little more physical and you have to keep your head up a little more.  But, it appears that Eriksson is still playing a Western conference game.  And, that's just inviting unsuspecting heavy hits.

So simmonds, vorachek, are also having problems with concussions

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to DeadAhead's comment:

Yep. In the end, I agree. It's just maddening what this team gets for chips. Look at the Bourque trade.

Rolston was the best player in that trade by a mile, but that is all we got for Bourque, who was still near the top in production at his age?

Remember the Thornton trade? Hideous.

Funny. O'Connell was a good drafter, terrible with trades.  It's the reverse with Chia.

We just can't get a GM to be good at both, I guess.

Toivonen, Raycroft, Wideman, Stuart/Wheeler, Kessel, Weller/Bitz/2nd rounder, Karsums/Lashoff...

Yeah, it's maddening what the B's get for chips.  Maddening to the rest of the GMs in the league!

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from marco0863. Show marco0863's posts

You 2 really have a thing going.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Yep. In the end, I agree. It's just maddening what this team gets for chips. Look at the Bourque trade.

Rolston was the best player in that trade by a mile, but that is all we got for Bourque, who was still near the top in production at his age?

Funny. O'Connell was a good drafter, terrible with trades.  It's the reverse with Chia.

Toivonen, Raycroft, Wideman, Stuart/Wheeler, Kessel, Weller/Bitz/2nd rounder, Karsums/Lashoff...

Yeah, it's maddening what the B's get for chips.  Maddening to the rest of the GMs in the league!

No, our chips. My god your IQ is so crappy.

Orr (should have been dealt after '74/'75), Bourque, Thornton, maybe now Seguin.

VERY maddening. It's almost like they don't get it.  When spanky signed off and dealt Espo, they should have dealt Orr, too.  Trading Espo, good move. Not dealing Orr? Dumb.

What the Celts just did with Garnett and Pierce is a perfect example. VERY wise move by Ainge. Celts can be a title contender in 5 years, instead of 10.  Ainge fleeced the desperate Nets.

Face it, this organization has botched their best chips in terms of the return.

Barry Pederson for Cam Neely

Glen Wesley for 3 1st round draft picks.

Neely is in the HOF.

Bruins are still to this day reaping the rewards of the Glen Wesley trade.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

So by "chips" you meant blue-chip only?  Because I know I would not have interpreted it that way.

Looks like yet another argument come from someone (this happens to many others, not only you) not being as clear in a post as he thinks.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

No, our chips. My god your IQ is so crappy.

Orr (should have been dealt after '74/'75), Bourque, Thornton, maybe now Seguin.

"Toivonen, Raycroft, Wideman, Stuart/Wheeler, Kessel, Weller/Bitz/2nd rounder, Karsums/Lashoff..."

Those are all guys the B's traded, you dope.  My God, your lack of knowledge of Bruins history is astonishing considering how much you talk about Bruins history.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from marco0863. Show marco0863's posts

Neely wesley for pederson great trade turned neale from gm to commentator however bart Bradley was the one who told harry go get this kid

Chia best trade was horton was in my view a steal loved it when he got horton for Wideman

Another great trade was getting seidenberg

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

I've read them.  To him, it probably looked like you were just cherry-picking trades to support your argument, not trying to define a category of players that should only be considered.

It's clear to you because you know what you are trying to argue in your head.  It is not so clear to the rest of us who are not inside your head.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

+1 Stanley Cup, -1 Stanley Cup.

Eriksson, Smith, Hamilton and Knight:

Eriksson - Concussion magnet, grinder, JAG.

Smith - Better than Seguin in alot of area's, more consistent.

Hamilton - Longway to go.

Knight - Injury prone, AHL 2nd line forward.

Tyler Toffoli - On fiyah!

Wow, you started right out with dumb. You're perhaps the only person that's ever watched Eriksson play who came away with the idea that he was a grinder. He's been one of the league's most consistent scoring wingers for the last 5 years while playing stellar D along the way. Concussion magnet? That's perhaps the dumbest thing youu've ever stated. The guy missed 3 games in the last 5 years before getting mugged by Scott. Feel free to list all of the guys who played more games than him in that time span. I'm sure the list is incredibly short. Hey, I get it Bim. He's no Kabanov but give the guy a break. In all seriousness, is it also Savard's fault that he was hit into retirement? How about that Bergeron? I really hate the way he attracts concussions.

If my comments are dumb then what does that say about your detailed replies?

Lemme break it down for you the way I see it.  Eriksson's been playing in the West; a skating conference.  He's never had to worry that much about some guy cleaning his clock at the blue line.  But in the East the game is a little more physical and you have to keep your head up a little more.  But, it appears that Eriksson is still playing a Western conference game.  And, that's just inviting unsuspecting heavy hits.

That's even sillier Bim. There's zero chance that the Western conference is significantly more dangerous than the East, regardless of the perception some folks may have. I also love your idea that Loui invited that attack from Scott. Please elaborate on what he should've done differently on that play.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

I wasn't cherrypicking at all. I've already said Sinden made some good ones and some atrocious ones, the latter monetarily related. I also said Chia is very good at trading, minus the Iginal botch job, but his drafting has been weak.

I think this is realtively accurate analysis at the very least.

Drafting his a crapshoot, so I don't get all bent out of shape when he misses. But, to seriously not be happy with the overall skill set the players you know you are picking and then picking them, top 5?  It's not good. Let's not spin the yields on 2 top 5 picks within 5 years of one another that aren't even here.

You should be getting cornerstone guys (barring injury problems) in those spots.

We have Reilly Smith, a concussed Eriksson (no one's fault but a cheapshotting Orpik) and some prospects for two top 5 picks.

The bolded part I can definately agree with, and wish were a feeling more people had.  I think you should include Hamilton in the named list.  He seems to be developing nicely.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

In response to DrCC's comment:

I've read them.  To him, it probably looked like you were just cherry-picking trades to support your argument, not trying to define a category of players that should only be considered.

It's clear to you because you know what you are trying to argue in your head.  It is not so clear to the rest of us who are not inside your head.

I wasn't cherrypicking at all. I've already said Sinden made some good ones and some atrocious ones, the latter monetarily related. I also said Chia is very good at trading, minus the Iginal botch job, but his drafting has been weak.

Drafting his a crapshoot, so I don't get all bent out of shape when he misses. But, to seriously not be happy with the overall skill set the players you know you are picking and then picking them, top 5?  It's not good. Let's not spin the yields on 2 top 5 picks within 5 years of one another that aren't even here.

You should be getting cornerstone guys (barring injury problems) in those spots.

We have Reilly Smith, a concussed Eriksson (no one's fault but a cheapshotting Orpik) and some prospects for two top 5 picks.

Along with Dougie Hamilton. Stud in the making.

I'd consider Jared Knight a near-miss. He was considered a great pick; injuries just de-railed him.

Joe Morrow could be a VERY good trade chip this year. He's just in the wrong organization with so many other good, young puck moving defensemen.

Fraser...meh. Stop-gap solution.

Also, you called NAS out for the "He didn't trade Raycroft". Well, PC didn't draft Kessel, either.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

Nevermind. Forgot that he got hired a year before Claude.

Regardless. Kessel was predicted by some to be the first overall pick. Why would you ever pass up that opportunity, especially when Claude wasn't even coaching? It's obvious that Dave Lewis ran a more offense-based system, looking at Bergeron's stats (30 goals, 70 points), and how he hasn't reached those numbers since.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Ranford was a pretty good chip in the Edmonton deal. He went with Courtnall.

Lets not forget along with Janney went Stephane Quintal. He became a good reliable defenseman who had a long career.

The Oates trade to Washington was pretty good. They sent him,Tocchet and Ranford to the Capitals and got back Allison,Carter and Carey. Carey didnt pan out, but he wasnt far removed from his Vezina, they had Kolzig and Dafoe in the system so it allowed them to move him.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from marco0863. Show marco0863's posts

ranford went with courtnall (liked him) for Moog- anyone remember why?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

In response to TheGuyWithDaThing's comment:

In response to DrCC's comment:

Along with Dougie Hamilton. Stud in the making.

I'd consider Jared Knight a near-miss. He was considered a great pick; injuries just de-railed him.

Joe Morrow could be a VERY good trade chip this year. He's just in the wrong organization with so many other good, young puck moving defensemen.

Fraser...meh. Stop-gap solution.

Also, you called NAS out for the "He didn't trade Raycroft". Well, PC didn't draft Kessel, either.

Chiarelli drafted Kessel. This was covered and confirmed last night by most here. EVen Kelviana admitted it. To think a GM had no say in his first ever draft pick is ludicrous and preposterous all rolled into one.

I like Hamilton so far.   I think that was a good pick. Kessel and then Seguin were good picks but the apparently felt each weren;t coachable, which I put on the scouts and the GM.

Who on earth picks someone in the top 5 of any draft who might not take the coaching?

The Redskins just did it with RG3 and look at that unfolding disaster.

To be fair, Chiarelli was brought on less than a month before the draft, and thus didn't really have a chance to be fully involved in the scouting process. And there are a few issues I have with the "might not take the coaching" line. First, they're 17 or 18 years old when getting scouted, so it's hard to judge someone based on that alone. Marchand is a little turd, and nobody would have guessed that he would have turned into anything remotely coachable, but he has. Also, Kessel and Seguin were so clear cut the best players available that it would have been ridiculous to draft anybody else. And like I said, when Kessel was drafted, Claude wasn't the coach, and thus they weren't as focused on having two-way players.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to marco0863's comment:

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:

for the record I think that Chiarelli made every single pick in the 2006 draft. I think he probably talked to some of the scouts and they came up with a list that he Ok'd. I know that he orchestrated the trade for Rask. I'm just giving Rusty a hard time because Chiarelli was not the acting GM at the time, Rusty refuses to believe in these things called facts, and I hate him. 

I know that he orchestrated the trade for Rask.

you must know something everyone does not- speculation my dear guesswork

one thing certain since jeff left we stank in the draft.

i do know something most don't. I've been told face to face by one of the two men that made that trade (chiarelli and john ferguson jr) that it was made between those two.

Now, on to your point about how the grinders are easy to get and they are useless without the scorers...uhhh, not true. 

Vancouver, Washington, NYR, Philly, lately, Pittsburgh. Teams like taht need more depth. Look at NYR. first seed. trade their character, and depth, and grinders and get Nash. Instantly take a huge step back. They trade a skill guy (gaborik) for more depth, grinders, character, and instantly take a step forward. Skill guys win in EA sports NHL, not the NHL. Hockey teams do that. 

Sections
Shortcuts