Draft Rant...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from myoung125. Show myoung125's posts

Draft Rant...

With no B's for sometime, I was checking out the BC-UNH game on NESN. Can someone please tell me what was seen in Tommy Cross? He looks like a good D but he far from stands out. He gets some good looks on the PP but as a scout I wouldn't be thinking "a steal at 35th overall." This probably wouldn't be such an issue with me but knowing that the B's could have had PK Subban (who went 43rd) on their blue line right now is pretty discouraging. I understand that hindsight is 20/20 with the draft but that one's a real downer.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

Re: Draft Rant...

the draft isn't an exact science....

as for the B'S, their track record with drafting and developing d-men has to be among the worst....  hard to understand considering they developed the two greatest d-men ever to play....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

The draft is full of hits and misses. I have not seen Cross play, but have read about his progress and injury problems. We as Bruin fans know how Subban has progressed and in hindsight , i'm sure the B's wish they chose him.Maybe the Habs just lucked out. As an example, in 2006 the Habs took an american born d-man called David Fischer at the 20th spot, taken 2 spots later at 22nd was Claude Giroux of the Philadelphia Flyers. Who do you think Montreal would rather have now ?Some days are diamonds and others are dust.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Draft Rant...:
    [QUOTE]With no B's for sometime, I was checking out the BC-UNH game on NESN. Can someone please tell me what was seen in Tommy Cross? He looks like a good D but he far from stands out. He gets some good looks on the PP but as a scout I wouldn't be thinking "a steal at 35th overall." This probably wouldn't be such an issue with me but knowing that the B's could have had PK Subban (who went 43rd) on their blue line right now is pretty discouraging. I understand that hindsight is 20/20 with the draft but that one's a real downer.
    Posted by myoung125[/QUOTE]

I'm not a big fan of players who turtle.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Draft Rant...:
    [QUOTE]With no B's for sometime, I was checking out the BC-UNH game on NESN. Can someone please tell me what was seen in Tommy Cross? He looks like a good D but he far from stands out. He gets some good looks on the PP but as a scout I wouldn't be thinking "a steal at 35th overall." This probably wouldn't be such an issue with me but knowing that the B's could have had PK Subban (who went 43rd) on their blue line right now is pretty discouraging. I understand that hindsight is 20/20 with the draft but that one's a real downer.
    Posted by myoung125[/QUOTE]

Thank you.  I feel vindicated in a small way.

Oh, but on the other hand, he's been injured a hefty amount in his short career thus far.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

How did the B's make all of those picks and leave Jamie Benn there for the fifth round?  They should have known!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Does this infer that Benning and the scouting staff are less than capable? With all these discussions about Baby B's , etc., it appears that the Bruins certainly lack scouts in Europe; Don't seem to recognize future NHL defensemen in Juniors or College, unless they are in the top twenty; and have not had great success [ Kaberle, Corvo] in trading for defensemen. Is Button a mistake ? Why have the Russians not matured? Is it the coaching? The current Providence coaches have been recruited for their experience, but so were the coaches in Buffalo? Claude's system works well with the existing roster, and some players [ Peverly, Kelly] are thriving in it. Does that point to more selective replacements at a slow and methodical pace? Sure would, and is , limiting some of the controversy on these threads.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Bogie, I wouldn't say it's coaching.  It's not like these guys are going elsewhere and shining.  I don't expect lots of 2nd, 3rd, or later round picks to be NHLers, but I do expect some of them to at least be good enough to be given the chance.

2007-2011:  Cross, Reul, Goulet, Ostrcil, Knackstedt, Sauve, Hutchinson, Tremblay, Goggin, Button, MacDermid, Randell, Sexton, Knight, Spooner, Cunningham, Florek, Gothberg Chudinov and Trotman have played a combined total of zero NHL games.  Jamie Arniel played 1 NHL game.

First round picks not named Seguin:  Hamill, Colborne, Caron.  67 games, 6 goals, 14 assists.  To put that into perspective, Byron Bitz played 87 NHL games and had 9 goals with 9 assists.

I think amateur scouting has been a total disaster since 2007.  Pro scouting is pretty good.  Kelly, Peverley, Campbell, Horton, Paille, Seidenberg, Boychuk and McQuaid certainly outweigh Kaberle and Corvo.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

If the great Jerry York says that Tommy Cross has the goods to play in the NHL I'm in. Now lets see have their been allot of Eagles who played for York in the NHL in recent years ?

Hmm trying to remember who might be pretty good...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In Response to Re: Draft Rant...:
    [QUOTE]Bogie, I wouldn't say it's coaching.  It's not like these guys are going elsewhere and shining.  I don't expect lots of 2nd, 3rd, or later round picks to be NHLers, but I do expect some of them to at least be good enough to be given the chance. 2007-2011:  Cross, Reul, Goulet, Ostrcil, Knackstedt, Sauve, Hutchinson, Tremblay, Goggin, Button, MacDermid, Randell, Sexton, Knight, Spooner, Cunningham, Florek, Gothberg Chudinov and Trotman have played a combined total of zero NHL games.  Jamie Arniel played 1 NHL game. First round picks not named Seguin:  Hamill, Colborne, Caron.  67 games, 6 goals, 14 assists.  To put that into perspective, Byron Bitz played 87 NHL games and had 9 goals with 9 assists. I think amateur scouting has been a total disaster since 2007.  Pro scouting is pretty good.  Kelly, Peverley, Campbell, Horton, Paille, Seidenberg, Boychuk and McQuaid certainly outweigh Kaberle and Corvo.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

I agree with most of the thoughts above, but many of the guys listed are longer term prospects and were drafted as such.  Cross, Tremblay, Florek, Sexton, Spooner, Knight, Gothberg, etc. can't be judged on NHL games played.  But if the general point is that with all of those picks, somebody should be playing NHL games, I can't argue with that.  Like I said in another thread, I am hopeful that one of the under-the-radar NCAA guys will develop into something useful (Florek? Ferlin?).

I think it is possible that given the current depth in Boston, the amatuer scouting team was actually instructed to look for longer range prospects with some later picks and not worry about possible 5-year development plans (Gothberg).  All picks after the 1st round are usually projects, but the Bruins seem to have a lot of guys in the system that we just can't judge yet.  A lot of NCAA guys that might play 4 years of college hockey.

...and they might stay in the system longer than the scouts who found them...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Fletch, the five year plan is wishful thinking, and it would be great if that was the case.  I doubt it, however.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]Bogie, I wouldn't say it's coaching.  It's not like these guys are going elsewhere and shining.  I don't expect lots of 2nd, 3rd, or later round picks to be NHLers, but I do expect some of them to at least be good enough to be given the chance. 2007-2011:  Cross, Reul, Goulet, Ostrcil, Knackstedt, Sauve, Hutchinson, Tremblay, Goggin, Button, MacDermid, Randell, Sexton, Knight, Spooner, Cunningham, Florek, Gothberg Chudinov and Trotman have played a combined total of zero NHL games.  Jamie Arniel played 1 NHL game. First round picks not named Seguin:  Hamill, Colborne, Caron.  67 games, 6 goals, 14 assists.  To put that into perspective, Byron Bitz played 87 NHL games and had 9 goals with 9 assists. I think amateur scouting has been a total disaster since 2007.  Pro scouting is pretty good.  Kelly, Peverley, Campbell, Horton, Paille, Seidenberg, Boychuk and McQuaid certainly outweigh Kaberle and Corvo.

I agree, the only gem that they spotted was Marchand.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]Fletch, the five year plan is wishful thinking, and it would be great if that was the case.  I doubt it, however.

Yeah, I agree on it being doubtful.  I think that picks like Colborne, Cross, Florek, and Gothberg were five-year plan scenarios.  Does it ever work?  Rarely, but maybe more often with defensmen and goalies.  Mark Stuart, Hunwick, and Kampfer all took the long college, slow development route and are at least playing NHL games.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Draft Rant... : I agree, the only gem that they spotted was Marchand.
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

Marchand was drafted in 2006.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Stuart was from the 2003 draft though, the almost can't miss draft. He's turned into a stalwart for the Jets, but not exactly an example of fantastic drafting given what was taken after him.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Agree and disagree with the disaster thing . Don't agree with players who are still in junior and college from the last 2 years. I don't think they should be judged that soon. Agree that most from the other 3 drafts are obviously not going to make it.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Draft Rant... : Marchand was drafted in 2006.

See the 2006 draft is always a question mark for me as to whether PC should get some credit. He was hired in May, but didn't officially start until July, but does anyone honestly think there weren't a bunch of phone calls between him and Gorton? He was just a place filler, do you honestly think PC never had at least some input, unofficially into the Kessel, Marchand and Lucic picks?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Draft Rant... : See the 2006 draft is always a question mark for me as to whether PC should get some credit. He was hired in May, but didn't officially start until July, but does anyone honestly think there weren't a bunch of phone calls between him and Gorton? He was just a place filler, do you honestly think PC never had at least some input, unofficially into the Kessel, Marchand and Lucic picks?
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

Unknown and entirely up to speculation.

My feel, no, PC didn't have anything to do with it.  PC is a lawyer.  My wife is in the law and the good lawyers are totally uptight about the rules.  Example, if she has a client that is remarkable for some reason, let's say for example that they are extraordinarily rich or something, she won't divulge the name of the client even to me.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]Stuart was from the 2003 draft though, the almost can't miss draft. He's turned into a stalwart for the Jets, but not exactly an example of fantastic drafting given what was taken after him.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

Stuart didn't turn into a stalwart for the Jets.  They traded for that exact player.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]Stuart was from the 2003 draft though, the almost can't miss draft. He's turned into a stalwart for the Jets, but not exactly an example of fantastic drafting given what was taken after him.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

No, just an example of a guy who was drafted at 18, played 3 years of college, two years of AHL, and then made the pros.  That was my point.  5-year plan.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Draft Rant... : See the 2006 draft is always a question mark for me as to whether PC should get some credit. He was hired in May, but didn't officially start until July, but does anyone honestly think there weren't a bunch of phone calls between him and Gorton? He was just a place filler, do you honestly think PC never had at least some input, unofficially into the Kessel, Marchand and Lucic picks?
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]
    I'd agree that PC told them who he liked draft-wise and he also played a part in signing Chara and Savard (unofficially).

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I thought Chara and Savard were signed after PC officially started?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]I thought Chara and Savard were signed after PC officially started?
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

I don't think it was official, but I don't think Gorton did it without his approval if Gorton was involved at all..

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]I thought Chara and Savard were signed after PC officially started?
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]
    Technically, they were signed by Gorton.

Once Zdeno Chara agreed to a five-year, $37.5 million contract, the Bruins quickly added one of the top free agent forwards available in center Marc Savard, who inked a four-year, $20 million deal.

"We were really aggressive out of the gate," interim general manager Jeff Gorton said in a conference call, noting that he made his first call to Chara's agent at 12:01 p.m., and the deal was agreed to at about 3 p.m.

"It made it much easier to sign Savard after Chara signed with us," he said, noting that Chara's contract has a no-trade clause. "He could see how serious we were about winning."

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I think we've discussed this before.  Knowing that they were waiting on the arrival of Chiarelli, there is no way on Earth that they allowed Gorton to make those deals by himself.