Dudley to Habs - Burkie Must Be Fuming

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups-7. Show soups-7's posts

Dudley to Habs - Burkie Must Be Fuming

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=395223

Habs want him before the draft, LOL. Talk about heating up the Habs Buds rivalry.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Dudley to Habs - Burkie Must Be Fuming

I can't imagine they'd let him join the Habs before the draft.  The conflict of interest is just too big.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups-7. Show soups-7's posts

In Response to Re: Dudley to Habs - Burkie Must Be Fuming:
    I can't imagine they'd let him join the Habs before the draft.  The conflict of interest is just too big.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Montreal has 3 and the Buds have 5, I am sure Dudley has done of lot of front end loading for the draft already. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Dudley to Habs - Burkie Must Be Fuming : Montreal has 3 and the Buds have 5, I am sure Dudley has done of lot of front end loading for the draft already. 
    Posted by soups-7

I don't think it matters much in the 1st round. The Habs will pick who they want/need if they're smart. Who the Leafs plan to take should have no bearing. It's the picks in the other rounds where you might see the Habs grab up a couple of the Leafs "targets".

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davinator. Show Davinator's posts

Ouch...Rick Dudley is a (second) cousin of mine. I knew his Mom and Dad well growing up in Southern Ontario, watching him play for the Buffalo Sabres.

That said, I am going to have a real tough time wishing him well with the Habs regardless of when he moves down the highway to Montreal!!!

I was always a Bruin fan(even when he played) and would never consider changing allegiances now, this is for sure. I thought he got a bit of a raw deal when the Thrashers moved to Winnipeg and decided not to take him along (he finished his NHL playing career with the Jets in 1980-81).

He has a good sense for scouting talent and had a big hand in building Tampa's SC team as well as improvements to the Sens, Thrashers and the Panthers.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

He has a good sense for scouting talent and had a big hand in building Tampa's SC team as well as improvements to the Sens, Thrashers and the Panthers.
    Posted by Davinator

dav - To your point in today's Toronto Sun a sports section article said one NHL GM stated Dudley "brings unique skills and experience to the table that separates him from those other Toronto execs (i.e., Nonis, Burke, Poulin, Loiselle, Fletcher) in that those other guys all have backgrounds from working with teams in the league front office but Dudley is the only guy in that group that comes from a pure scouting background." 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davinator. Show Davinator's posts

In Response to Re: Dudley to Habs - Burkie Must Be Fuming : dav - To your point in today's Toronto Sun a sports section article said one NHL GM stated Dudley "brings unique skills and experience to the table that separates him from those other Toronto execs (i.e., Nonis, Burke, Poulin, Loiselle, Fletcher) in that those other guys all have backgrounds from working with teams in the league front office but Dudley is the only guy in that group that comes from a pure scouting background." 
    Posted by RichHillOntario

Interesting statement since he was GM in Ottawa, Florida, Tampa and Atlanta and he head coached Buffalo(many years ago) and Tampa(briefly). Although he was hands on with scouting in those cities while GM, I suppose he moved over to pro scouting exclusively with Toronto.

Good guy though.
    Heck of a pro lacrosse player too...one of the top players in the league and played both sports(lacrosse primarily summer, hockey through the winter with overlapping schedules).
    Imagine a a pro athlete getting permission from either league to play in another pro league in the same year.
    Now, Rick wasn't Gilbert Perrault or anything, but it didn't and doesn't happen very often.

A little known fact about Rick was his relationship with Tim Horton who he played with in Buffalo until Horton's accident in '74. They were good friends and Rick was devastated by Horton's death. Rick has just purchased(IIRC?) a Cadillac from Horton not long before his death.

Lastly, I mentioned this on this board a while back I think, but when I was 17 or 18 I has a chance to go see a Sabres Game with a couple of my cousins, my grandmother and Rick's father. After the game we waited outside the locker room for him and I had a chance to get out onto the ice at the old Aud. Afterwards, we all went to a restaurant with Rick and his buddy, the late Brian "Spinner" Spencer. I remember Spencer as a funny, funny guy that would sketch cartoons, etc on the napkins and keep us all laughing. I was saddened to hear that he took his life way back when....

I promise I won't side track again...

Sections
Shortcuts