Dust has mostly settled - who ya got in the East?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Re: Dust has mostly settled - who ya got in the East?

In Response to Re: Dust has mostly settled - who ya got in the East?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dust has mostly settled - who ya got in the East? : RHO, I have Philly slipping also. Goaltending got better but now up front has the question marks. I don't know about an old Jagr and a bunch of kids who haven't played a whole lot in the NHL replacing Richards and Carter. Big makeover for them up front. It'll be interesting to see how the forwards gel together. Right now it's kind of the unknown if you're a Flyers fan.
    Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]

Chowda - I see your point about Philly.  To be honest, I'd forgotten about Jagr.  My thoughts were on them addressing their annual weakness, in goal and what a difference a rejuventated Bryskalov (sp?) may have.  The departures of Carter and Richards, perhaps leaving the team to be led by Pronger may produce a more focussed team.  Others may also now assume a leadership role.  You're right, though.  Only time will tell. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tom857. Show Tom857's posts

I don't understand why so many people are counting NJ out. They were THE BEST team in the 2nd half last year and have TONS of talent up front and, an albeit AGING, Marty Brodeur. So long as they don't have another HISTORICALLY BAD start to the season, they should be in the mix and maybe even contenders.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonicator. Show Olsonicator's posts

I'm gonna shake things up a bit this year. (I'm really not sold on Philly)

1) Washington
    2) Pittsburg
    3) Boston
    4) Montreal
    5) Tampa Bay
    6) New York Rangers
    7) Buffalo
    8) Philly
    --------
    9) New Jersey Devils
    10) Carolina
    11) Toronto
    12) Florida
    13) New York Islanders
    14) Ottawa
    15) Winnipeg (obviously going to take the season to get a draft pick)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Win-Jets. Show Win-Jets's posts

[QUOTE]1) Wash- Vokun will be a Vezina Candidate 2) Pitts- James Neal will have a career season if he plays with Crosby; or Gino 3) Bos- TT ties record of 2nd most SO in a season with 15 & DK finishes in top 5 in scoring 4) TBay- Roloson will keep these guys in the hunt all season 5) Buffalo- With a healthy Derek Roy & new additions they'll challenge the B's for Division lead 6) NYR- Gaborik & Richards & world class goaltending? 7) New Jersey- Having Parise back would make any team better. 8) Winnipeg- I think they make it; most valuable player on the team? FANS IN THE STANDS!!
    Posted by nitemare-

Nice to see Winnipeg in  posts.  I think there are only 4
    sure teams to make it Boston Washington Pittsburg@ TBay. rest is a
    guessing job

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]I'm gonna shake things up a bit this year. (I'm really not sold on Philly) 1) Washington 2) Pittsburg 3) Boston 4) Montreal 5) Tampa Bay 6) New York Rangers 7) Buffalo 8) Philly -------- 9) New Jersey Devils 10) Carolina 11) Toronto 12) Florida 13) New York Islanders 14) Ottawa 15) Winnipeg (obviously going to take the season to get a draft pick)
    Posted by Olsonicator[/QUOTE]

Okay I'll bite.

1. Washington--2012 Cup Champs-huge year Ovechkin/Vokoun
    2. Pittsburgh
    3. Boston
    4. Rangers--Lundqvist= Vezina 
    5. Montreal
    6. Tampa Bay
    7. Carolina
    8. Islanders--all that young talent starts to gel & healthy Dipietro

9. Philadelphia- good team that made bad trades
    10. New Jersey
    11. Buffalo
    12. Toronto-- James Reimer= overrated
    13. Ottawa
    14. Winnipeg
    15  Florida--why bother?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bluefox70. Show bluefox70's posts

Florida might be the most improved team this year,  Philly is going South along with New Jersey.

1) Pitt
    2) Bos
    3) Tampa
    4) NY Rangers
    5) Washington
    6) Buffalo
    7) Carolina - last year they were only 2 points out and are always good.
    8) Ottawa - they will fight their way into the playoffs literally
    9) Montreal
    10) doesn't matter....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

^Washington winning the cup? That franchise continues and continues to disappoint every single year in the playoffs after showing so much promise in the regular season. I live down here in the DC area and all I ever hear is that it's the Capitals year and they've built around Ovie so well and so on but that's not the way you win a cup. The Bruins showed that having a good defense and outstanding goaltending along with solid guys who work well together wins cups. They play unbelievably soft in the playoffs including their 2 other 'studs' in Backstroom and Semin. They look like little boys getting bullied by bigger teenagers. They can continue to win the President's Cup while the B's, who are so well set up for the next 5 years, celebrate in June.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Dust has mostly settled - who ya got in the East?:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dust has mostly settled - who ya got in the East? : Yeah, Part of the deal was to allow briere to remain at center where he has been better through out his career, I agree with simmonds, he is a high end power foward project at this point, Vorachek can score some goals and the real gem is Schenn, who from everything I have seen, is expected to step in and make an impact. Posted by rolerhoky19[/QUOTE]

With Vorachek there is some pressure because he's considered an underachiever. If he plays to his potential and Couturier makes the team out of camp they could pick up that slack. Add some scoring from Schenn not as bad as allot think.

Philly better defensively ??? on offense but they will be in the mix.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bochi6. Show bochi6's posts

I agree with the Vokoun hype. He is the most underrated goalie in the league, scary he is out of Florida. When I make my way to Vegas, a little coin will go to Caps Cup. For the record, I cleaned up on Bruins winning Cup this year.

Bruins #2....will dominate the road again, but will have improved home record.

Pens will be solid as always (they could take first with Caps in 3rd, Caps may learn to pace themselves a little bit in the reg season)

I will go out on a limb and say Buffalo 4th. Lot of changes, but Leino is great, Philly will miss his development. Strong as anyone in goal

Tampa Bay at #5, but they will slip a little bit with an even older St Louis and Roloson

Rangers take 6th, I doubt they improve a ton, they always sign huge name players but never become elite.

Philly drops to 7. I love Bryz in net but Pronger almost seems like he is done, overnight. Traded Captain, traded Carter, and lost a great younger player in Leino. I live in LA now, not a huge Simmonds guy. Team needs time to gel. Pitt and NY will play them a lot and give them trouble, plus NJ will win a few more.

8 spot goes to Montreal, I guess. I hate them but love seeing them loose in the playoffs! Always fun.

Other: Toronto will prob be about the same, Devils will barely miss too.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Yep.  Those are the teams in the East!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockguy0818. Show Hockguy0818's posts

If Malkin and Crosby come back healthy, they could very well be the top team in the East.

Once again, I think Washington will be in the top 2, and fail again come playoff time, despite the pickup of Vokoun. They are soft, lack shutdown d-men and have players that dissapear in key games...I'm looking at you, Alex Semin.

If we can stay healthy, if Timmy can be about 80% of what he was in 2010-2011, players like Seguin and Marchand take the next step, and maybe even get solid play from Corvo quarterbacking the PP, we could once again win the POW trophy.

I like our team, and I like our chances.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

[QUOTE]Yep.  Those are the teams in the East!
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

You're no fun. Let's talk about Marchand or Spooner instead.  :)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I can't help but think that the right response is something like "that's not what your wife said"....  Maybe that's only fun in person?

The predictions are silly; the justifications are the real conversation.  Who in the east improved enough to change their fortunes and at whose expense?  Putting numbers on it doesn't mean much because the difference between finishing first and third in the conference is rarely reflected in playoff performance.  Here's a few thoughts in no particular order.

Washington added key elements for playoff success - veteran goalie, a cup-winning two-way forward, and a guy who they hope gets hot in the playoffs.

Philly could go either way.  I think this is a turbo rebuild that probably pays off next year not this one - Pronger back to full health for a real kick at his last can?  I'm not convinced Schenn can walk into contributing role, that Simmonds will be significantly more productive in the East, or that Voracek suddenly "gets it" in new surroundings.  They'll get better goaltending though.

Pittsburgh is a huge wild card.  $17.5M worth of ????.  If Fleury has a good season, they could still Nashville their way to the playoffs.  If the two big tickets come back as themselves, they'll be worlds better.  Also water is wet.

Buffalo will be better.  The mix on the backline is better, and no Connolly means that big "IF" is gone.

Rangers...well, they could be huge this year if Richards and Gaborik click and stay healthy, but they are awfully thin on D, so an injury or two could cause the wheels to fall off. 

Tampans...totally neutral.  Could be good, could be picking in the lottery.  Typical Lightning.

Scabs are boring. They probably make the playoffs.  Devils are in trouble if Brodeur is pretty much done; if he finds his form, they have plenty of talent for a playoff push.  Isles are all about development - if they can get another wave of young guys moving forward, they could have something.  Could.

Leafs will tease. Then Connolly will get hurt, Kessel will pout, and Reimer will realize he's not a top prospect. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

1) Bos
    2) Pitts
    3) Wash
    4) TBay
    5) Buffalo
    6) NYR
    7) New Jersey
    8) This is a crap shoot I think between NYR, the Habs, and the Jets, who will suffer from a brutal road schedule but benefit from a complete change in culture and what will likely be the loudest home rink in the whole league (it's going to be so loud in there it will be hard to even think - the accoustics in the MTS Centre are mind boggling and the fans will be nuts).

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

[QUOTE]The predictions are silly; the justifications are the real conversation.

Yup. Just needed to provide the hook, though.

And my wife doesn't think you're fun either. She prefers men.

Shazaaaam.

It's all in fun...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dust has mostly settled - who ya got in the East? : With Vorachek there is some pressure because he's considered an underachiever. If he plays to his potential and Couturier makes the team out of camp they could pick up that slack. Add some scoring from Schenn not as bad as allot think. Philly better defensively ??? on offense but they will be in the mix.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

I think the center depth chart is Briere, Giroux, and Schenn, Courtier doesn't make need to make the team, the questions is going to be what schenn contributes..

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

1:  Boston  (hope a Cup hangover doesnt hit them, no other team is as deep)
    2:  Washington  (made some big improvements, might be their year)
    3:  Pittsburgh (if Crosby & Malkin make big comebacks, theyll be #1)
    4:  Tampa  (it all hangs on if Roloson can play another full season)
    5:  Rangers  (much improved, plus Lundqvist is great)
    6:  Buffalo
    7:  Philly  (it hangs on goaltending & Jagr. Could go up, could go DOWN)
    8:  Devils, Habs, Florida all battle for 8th  (Price will need to carry the Habs, they look really weak on paper. Devils should continue last years hot streak, and I think Florida got much better. Habs will NOT be in control of their own destiny)
    11:  Carolina
    12:  Leafs
    13:  Winnipeg
    14:  Isle
    15:  Ottawa

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]1:  Boston  (hope a Cup hangover doesnt hit them, no other team is as deep) 2:  Washington  (made some big improvements, might be their year) 3:  Pittsburgh (if Crosby & Malkin make big comebacks, theyll be #1) 4:  Tampa  (it all hangs on if Roloson can play another full season) 5:  Rangers  (much improved, plus Lundqvist is great) 6:  Buffalo 7:  Philly  (it hangs on goaltending & Jagr. Could go up, could go DOWN) 8:  Devils, Habs, Florida all battle for 8th  (Price will need to carry the Habs, they look really weak on paper. Devils should continue last years hot streak, and I think Florida got much better. Habs will NOT be in control of their own destiny) 11:  Carolina 12:  Leafs 13:  Winnipeg 14:  Isle 15:  Ottawa
    Posted by bigvig[/QUOTE]
    Every year , at least in the past few years, i look at the Habs roster and have thought they looked quite mediocre and they have proved me wrong by making the playoffs. I once again look at their roster and think they will have a hard time making it , but then again it wouldn't suprise me if they make it to the ECF. Well actually yes it would.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

I know, right. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonFan07. Show BostonFan07's posts

of Buffalo's 13 rostered forwards so far, 10 of them have the ability to be 20 goal scorers, 4 have the ability to be 30 goal scorers, and they have a potential 40 goal man there.

as far as their defense, Ehrhoff matches perfectly to be the offensive player to play alongside Tyler Myers (who is great all around) and have a top notch 1st pair and the addition of Regehr to pair with Marc-Andre Gragnani has great potential.

and let's not forget they have the best goalie in the world in their crease (yes, Ryan Miller is better than Tim Thomas)

and of course with Lindy Ruff on the bench anything is possible in Buffalo

i see Buffalo as the team to beat in the East

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

[QUOTE]let's not forget they have the best goalie in the world in their crease (yes, Ryan Miller is better than Tim Thomas)Posted by BostonFan07[/QUOTE]

Thanks man, I just spent the last 5 minutes on the floor having a laughing seizure.

And just to elaborate a little, care to tell us HOW he is better?  Stats dont always mean everything, I know this, but Thomas' numbers are all around better than Millers, at a later age in life, and he now holds TONS of NHL records thanks to this years playoff run.  Thomas' accolades trump Millers.

Edited to add just stats, not even going into the record department because Thomas now owns a TON of playoff records:

Miller:
    Regular Seas. - 399 games 221 wins 126 losses 41 otl 22 SO 2.57 gaa .915 sv%
    Playoffs - 47 games 25 wins 22 losses 3 SO 2.46 gaa .917 sv%

Thomas:
    Regular Seas. - 319 games 161 wins 102 losses 44 otl 26 SO 2.50 gaa .922 sv%
    Playoffs - 43 games 26 wins 17 losses 5 SO 2.06 gaa .936 sv%

So please, pray tell, how is Miller a better goalie?  Very similar stats, Thomas edges him everywhere.  And again, I REALLY dont want to list all of Thomas' accomplishments.  It would take too much time.

But I will list Millers:

2007 All-Star Game
    2010 NHL Foundation Player Award
    2010 Vezina
    2010 First All-Star Team

Funny, his three major accomplishments happened the year Thomas was hurt.  Coincidence?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Ryan Miller is a terrific goaltender, but he is not as good as Thomas.Right now, nobody is. Miller played unreal at last years Olympics, getting the MVP on a runner up team is proof of that, but lets be real, had Thomas' hip been healthy, Miller would not have been the starter. Thats a fact.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

I think Buffalo is definitely improved- Leino will help them, Myers will continue to develop, they have some snipers and of course there's Miller.  However, I don't see them getting so good that they are a threat for the ECF yet.

I also think the Habs' combination of getting players back healthy and adding Cole improves them as well- but I also don't have them as an elite team.  Cole nots a spring chicken, but I dont see him buying into the diving act... I think he will add legitimate grit.

The Rangers are another upgrade with Richards and Lundqvist can carry that team on his back- he just wont have to carry them into the playoffs by himself again this time.

Whats with all these Eastern teams improving?

I like Tampa but I see them taking a little step backwards.  I dont believe Roloson at his age is going to keep it up.

I dunno about Pittsburgh.  All about health I guess. Talent heavy on offense and Fleury.  Not sold on them right now.

I can't see Philly as anything but a train wreck, I'm sorry. Trading all that production to pay for a goaltender who described himself as "I am goat" after he stunk the playoffs out a second year in a row doesnt sound like a recipe for playoff success.

Just looking at all the teams coldly, I have to put Washington at the top of my Eastern Food Chain.  They bought into the defense philosophy last year and will continue, especially with the new players. Kids like Carlson will continue to develop.  Ovechkin is still a kid.  And when you add Vokun for pretty much nothing?  I like the Caps chances a lot.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dust has mostly settled - who ya got in the East? : Thanks man, I just spent the last 5 minutes on the floor having a laughing seizure. And just to elaborate a little, care to tell us HOW he is better?  Stats dont always mean everything, I know this, but Thomas' numbers are all around better than Millers, at a later age in life, and he now holds TONS of NHL records thanks to this years playoff run.  Thomas' accolades trump Millers. Edited to add just stats, not even going into the record department because Thomas now owns a TON of playoff records: Miller: Regular Seas. - 399 games 221 wins 126 losses 41 otl 22 SO 2.57 gaa .915 sv% Playoffs - 47 games 25 wins 22 losses 3 SO 2.46 gaa .917 sv% Thomas: Regular Seas. - 319 games 161 wins 102 losses 44 otl 26 SO 2.50 gaa .922 sv% Playoffs - 43 games 26 wins 17 losses 5 SO 2.06 gaa .936 sv% So please, pray tell, how is Miller a better goalie?  Very similar stats, Thomas edges him everywhere.  And again, I REALLY dont want to list all of Thomas' accomplishments.  It would take too much time. But I will list Millers: 2007 All-Star Game 2010 NHL Foundation Player Award 2010 Vezina 2010 First All-Star Team Funny, his three major accomplishments happened the year Thomas was hurt.  Coincidence?
    Posted by bigvig[/QUOTE]
    As much as I like TT I always said I would take Miller in a game 7 situation! Not anymore! Not after this season. Last season I gave Miller a break in the Bruins series. I figured his 82 games played because of the O's is too much to ask anyone. I also agree with Kelvana & think that TT would have had at least more starts had he not been injured. This season Miller was average at best in the Philly series. Right now? I think the B's have the best goalie on the planet & that won't change until somebody can out play him for a long stretch. Are there goalie's in the league that can do that? There's at least 5-10 that could. With TT's desire & competative nature they'll be hard pressed to unseat him.

The one goalie that I'll be watching closely this season is Vokoun! I'm saying he gives Timmy a run for the Vezina this yr. Considering the lousy teams this guy has played in front of his whole career & still have a career sp of .917 & over 260 wins says a lot. I could end up being wrong; because maybe he's another CUJO & only thrives on lots of work. This season will tell providing his back holds out.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

For what it is worth:

Pittsburgh- Healthy talent that won't be denied!
    Washington- Much improved with Ovie still hungry!
    Boston- Emerging youth will be out to prove the pundits wrong! It was not a fluke. 
    Montreal- Price will be a force, Subban will have some others to work with on defense.
    Tampa- Too old in goal, otherwise forwards will force the top teams.  
    Philadelphia- Too many changes, how do they always become media darlings even after so many changes!??
    Carolina- Personal favorite could fall from grace if NJ stirs. 
    Buffalo- Great goalie and nice off season moves. Ah decent ownership!
    NY Rangers- Great goalie and Richards with a team praying for ties.
    New Jersey- Marty, can he do a Thomas? Pretty decent team still! 
    Toronto- Flat lined again after last year's promise. 
    Winnepeg- Change in venue shine then dull in the finish like last year. 
    Ottawa- Rebuilding with some remaining talent.
    NY Islanders- Young talent may start gelling, goaltending yikes???
    Florida- Quebec?  

Sections
Shortcuts