Early Bruins 2012-2013 Prospect Reports

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Re: Early Bruins 2012-2013 Prospect Reports

Also you gotta love this info from last night's game :
                                                                    --------
     Tommy Cross tallied his first goal of the season late in the period on Providence's third power play chance with a shot from the left face-off circle.
                                                                     ----------
     I wonder if Badhab knows there are 2 Tommy Cross's playing in Providence. The one he has seen and the one who is playing on the PP.

The left face-off circle must have been his own, backing up while trying to get the puck out of his own end, because of oncoming opposing players.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:

--------
     Tommy Cross tallied his first goal of the season late in the period on Providence's third power play chance with a shot from the left face-off circle.
                                                                     ----------
     I wonder if Badhab knows there are 2 Tommy Cross's playing in Providence. The one he has seen and the one who is playing on the PP.

The left face-off circle must have been his own, backing up while trying to get the puck out of his own end, because of oncoming opposing players.

Chowdah, in poor BH's defense, I'll admit that I asked my scout pal to keep an extra eye on Cross for me this season and his first impression of him was that he seemed particularly slow out there. He did say that Tommy seemed to play decent positionally though and that although unspectacular, he made no glaring mistakes. I should add that he told me this shortly after Tommy's AHL call-up. I'll have to call him this week for an update after he gets back from Dallas. Cheers!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

--------
                                                                     ----------

Chowdah, in poor BH's defense, I'll admit that I asked my scout pal to keep an extra on on Cross for me this season and his first impression of him was that he seemed particularly slow out there. He did say that Tommy seemed to play decent positionally though and that although unspectacular, he made no glaring mistakes. I should add that he told me this shortly after Tommy's AHL call-up. I'll have to call him this week for an update after he gets back from Dallas. Cheers!

These were comments made in jest with my BDC friend BH. I do not dispute his opinions on Cross because I have not seen him play. 

I was surprised to see Cross on the PP let alone score a goal from what I have been reading about him. I just wanted the stats-man to notice that there is now an AHL PP goal beside his name. 

I expected a humourous response back from this amateur comedian but his writer must be out of town.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Bits and pieces from last night's OHL Bruins prospect action :

Koko playing for the Spits against Subban's Bulls. Subban back on the bench for the 2nd straight game. The reason given ? He has only practiced once since returning from Russia and the other Bulls goalie Charlie Graham has been playing well and winning.

Koko played good last night. Scored a nice goal. As opinionated by me at the WJC, he looks quicker this year in my eyes.

Word spreading around the Belleville press box ( as mentioned by the announcers ) on why Koko has returned to the OHL was that the Bruins wanted to see him come back to North America to get back playing on the smaller ice surfaces. 

Camara has been suspended. The amount of games to be determined. For what reason ? Abuse of an official. I watched part of the game on Friday but tuned out before it ended which was when the suspendable offense happened. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

KoKo with 2 goals last night, Subban DNP which means he wasn't scored on. Seth Griffith with an assist, Cody Payne with a goal. Hamilton probably on a flight to Boston and Camara was not in Barrie's lineup last night.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

KoKo with 2 goals last night, Subban DNP which means he wasn't scored on. Seth Griffith with an assist, Cody Payne with a goal. Hamilton probably on a flight to Boston and Camara was not in Barrie's lineup last night.

This comment is comparable to lots of ice....big and wide.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Subban DNP which means he wasn't scored on.

This comment is comparable to lots of ice....big and wide. [/QUOTE]

I can't slip anything by you, must have been a heck of a street hockey goalie.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

The surest way to prevent a shark attack is don't go swimming in the ocean.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Subban DNP which means he wasn't scored on.

This comment is comparable to lots of ice....big and wide.

I can't slip anything by you, must have been a heck of a street hockey goalie.

Actually I played defense. Playing goalie came later in life as a fill in when one of the goalies were MIA. And yes I played street hockey goalie too. Who didn't ?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

The surest way to prevent a shark attack is don't go swimming in the ocean.

And you have the scars to prove it.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

--------
                                                                     ----------

Chowdah, in poor BH's defense, I'll admit that I asked my scout pal to keep an extra on on Cross for me this season and his first impression of him was that he seemed particularly slow out there. He did say that Tommy seemed to play decent positionally though and that although unspectacular, he made no glaring mistakes. I should add that he told me this shortly after Tommy's AHL call-up. I'll have to call him this week for an update after he gets back from Dallas. Cheers!

These were comments made in jest with my BDC friend BH. I do not dispute his opinions on Cross because I have not seen him play. 

I was surprised to see Cross on the PP let alone score a goal from what I have been reading about him. I just wanted the stats-man to notice that there is now an AHL PP goal beside his name. 

I expected a humourous response back from this amateur comedian but his writer must be out of town.

Just busy.  And I finally caught up with you, you rascal.

I think they have some guys hurt in Providence which is how Cross got on the PP.

Going back to my original gripe with Cross - look at the guys drafted after him.  I would have picked a number of them, PK Subban was just 8 picks later.  I really hated that draft.

It seems to me that the Bruins like to pick these local guys (or local connections) it seems to me just for the local interest and that's the reason that took Gryz and Benning this last draft - another draft I hated, other than Subban who I think will be a HOF one day.

Here's my gripe with comments about drafted players.

It is not an exact science ( although I can think of a few on here who would disagree because they think they're smarter because they have the formulas to drafting  ). They are drafting 18 year olds who can go either way in their development down the road. There is not a team in NHL history who have bypassed better players then who they've picked. 

Hindsight is just another form of saying "I told you so". The problem is the "I told you so" in cases of how they'd turn out is just a guess from wannabe scouts like ourselves ( or from anyone actually ).

We don't know X amount of the information on these players as the scouts do. They go over it and come to their decisions after months( and years) of evaluating. And us ? Some of us base our decisions on whether we like the way their name sounds. 

As far as P.K. Subban goes , his little brother Jordan has the same game as he had when he played junior. A mirror image when passing and skating with the puck.

One problem though. He is smaller and hasn't grown to the size of his brothers. Maybe genetics will take over . Otherwise.................

But there are obvious things, like pint sized defenseman.

[Edit - posted before I saw your comment on Jordan, and yes, that's a red flag]

And then there's general scouting, when they choose a guy way out of whack with what they say, I wonder.

I'm starting to keep a spreadsheet of who they picked and who I would have picked. 

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

And then there's general scouting, when they choose a guy way out of whack with what they say, I wonder.

I'm starting to keep a spreadsheet of who they picked and who I would have picked. 

Does the red flag take into consideration that he's still a teenager and might go through a growing spurt ?

Yes please do. But unlike last year post it. I tried to get your thoughts on who you would pick last June. You gave your best political speech, beating around the bush and picked nobody stating you had a case of chickenshit flu. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

It is not an exact science ( although I can think of a few on here who would disagree because they think they're smarter because they have the formulas to drafting  ). They are drafting 18 year olds who can go either way in their development down the road. There is not a team in NHL history who have bypassed better players then who they've picked. 

Hindsight is just another form of saying "I told you so". The problem is the "I told you so" in cases of how they'd turn out is just a guess from wannabe scouts like ourselves ( or from anyone actually ).

We don't know X amount of the information on these players as the scouts do. They go over it and come to their decisions after months( and years) of evaluating. And us ? Some of us base our decisions on whether we like the way their name sounds. 

I especially dislike using a guy like PK as an example considering he was passed over by EVERY team in the league (12 teams passed him over twice) before finally being drafted. Lamenting PC not picking him is akin to crying about Boston drafting Girard and Raycroft in '98 when Datsyuk was still available. Every draft features players that hindsight suggests should've been drafted earlier. Every draft features far more examples though, of guys who never live up to expectations. Always a bit of a crapshoot.

Does the red flag take into consideration that he's still a teenager and might go through a growing spurt ?

Yes please do. But unlike last year post it. I tried to get your thoughts on who you would pick last June. You gave your best political speech, beating around the bush and picked nobody stating you had a case of chickenshit flu. 

Here's my spreadsheet, but only for the last couple of years, the earlier years I didn't have who I would have picked instead.

2010 1 2 Tyler Seguin C *LOVED* the pick, 

2010 2 32 Jared Knight RW Did not like this pick, would have taken Tyler Toffoli

2010 2 45 Ryan Spooner C Did not like this pick, would have taken John McFarland

2010 4 97 Craig Cunningham LW   2010 5 135 Justin Florek F  

2010 6 165 Zane Gothberg G   2010 7 195 Maxim Chudinov D  

2010 7 210 Zach Trotman D  

2011 1 9 Dougie Hamilton D *LOVED* the pick, hard worker in camp

2011 2 40 Alexander Khokhlachez LW agree with this pick, hard worker in camp

2011 3 81 Anthony Camara LW didn't like the pick, did not impress me in camp, would have taken Joshua Leivo

2011 4 121 Brian Ferlin RW agree with this pick, raw talent from FLA

2011 5 151 Rob O'Gara D didn't like the pick, would have taken Darren Kramer from WHL Spokane Chiefs

2011 6 181 Lars Volden G hated this pick, was horrible at camp,  would have taken Mitchell Theoret from the ice dogs

2012 1 24 Malcolm Subban G *LOVED* this pick

2012 3 85 Matthew Grzelcyk D Hate this pick (size), would have taken Josh Anderson from the London Knights

2012 5 131 Seth Griffith F Hate this pick (age, size), would have taken Connor Brown from the Erie Otters

2012 5 145 Cody Payne F Agree with this pick

2012 6 175 Matthew Benning F Hate this pick (nepotism) would have taken Colin Smith from Kamloops Blazers

I especially dislike using a guy like PK as an example considering he was passed over by EVERY team in the league (12 teams passed him over twice) before finally being drafted. Lamenting PC not picking him is akin to crying about Boston drafting Girard and Raycroft in '98 when Datsyuk was still available. Every draft features players that hindsight suggests should've been drafted earlier. Every draft features far more examples though, of guys who never live up to expectations. Always a bit of a crapshoot.

You are 100% right.  And it's a LOT of a crapshoot.

But when they are way off from Central Scouting you have to wonder why they took the guy and in cases like Gryz, Benning and Cross I have to think the reason was relations or their local interest because I don't see any other reason.  Or if the guy is really small or slow (as in the case of Hamill, but granted that was an awful draft).

Anyways, I've posted from my spreadsheet.  

Here's my spreadsheet, but only for the last couple of years, the earlier years I didn't have who I would have picked instead.

2010 2 32 Jared Knight RW Did not like this pick, would have taken Tyler Toffoli

2010 2 45 Ryan Spooner C Did not like this pick, would have taken John McFarland

2011 3 81 Anthony Camara LW didn't like the pick, did not impress me in camp, would have taken Joshua Leivo

2011 5 151 Rob O'Gara D didn't like the pick, would have taken Darren Kramer from WHL Spokane Chiefs

2011 6 181 Lars Volden G hated this pick, was horrible at camp,  would have taken Mitchell Theoret from the ice dogs

2012 3 85 Matthew Grzelcyk D Hate this pick (size), would have taken Josh Anderson from the London Knights

2012 5 131 Seth Griffith F Hate this pick (age, size), would have taken Connor Brown from the Erie Otters

2012 6 175 Matthew Benning F Hate this pick (nepotism) would have taken Colin Smith from Kamloops Blazers

Is this spread sheet based on after the draft opinions or before ? Because if it's before ( like Ricky said to Lucy ) you have some "essplaining" to do.

P.S. Other then Seguin ( you would have *LOVED* Taylor Hall too ) not one of these players have made the NHL. So, as of the moment your choices are neither right or wrong with any of them (nor were the Bruins).

• You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

Do you where does Graham Mink come from ???  He played 2 games with P-Bruins ..has some good stats but already at age of 29 ...didnt see any trade ..if someone knows where or when he was acquired ???

Thanks

Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011 & 2013 (with Khudo as our no. 1 goalie)

Is this spread sheet based on after the draft opinions or before ? Because if it's before ( like Ricky said to Lucy ) you have some "essplaining" to do.

P.S. Other then Seguin ( you would have *LOVED* Taylor Hall too ) not one of these players have made the NHL. So, as of the moment your choices are neither right or wrong with any of them (nor were the Bruins).

Full disclosure and honesty

2010 - I've stated those all along.

2011 - is to the best of my recollection after the fact

2012 - that's current so I don't think there is much in the way of hindsight.

I saw who they drafted and then made my choice, so I made my opinions and picks shortly they made theirs.

You're not saying I should have my players picked in all rounds before the draft are you?  I only do the first round that way, it's WAY too much work to do all rounds.

Again, a disclaimer.  I don't see these guys.  I only pick them on stats.  I'm NOT saying that stats are the one and only criteria by whcih to evaluate a players, but it's one part of the picture and it's a part that I think they're ignoring.

Another disclaimer - I can't pick any euros because I can never find any stats on those guys.

In my favor from memory, I think I couple of guys I picked in earlier drafts did better than they did, but again, that's my memory.

Not in my favor, from memory - I think I've picked some same number of guys the Leafs picked. I'll have to check that out.

And again, yes, it's a totally inexact science and a crapshoot, but some teams do manage to do a bit better than others.  I would *LOVE* to see them disclose which scouts were responsible for which picks.

A positive for the organization and a question - I think they do OUTSTANDING on trades, especially for defenseman (McQuaid, Boychuk) so it seems to me that they can evaluate young talent really well.  So why can't they apply more of that to the draft?

And my "reasonable" (but really good) draft expecation is to have their 1st round picks always see 70 (or more) NHL games and their 2nd round picks to see 20 or more NHL games.  And every 2 years 1 player from later rounds to see 30 or more games (where the scouts see something that everyone else missed).  And I haven't run my criteria against their picks yet.

Full disclosure and honesty

2010 - I've stated those all along.

2011 - is to the best of my recollection after the fact

2012 - that's current so I don't think there is much in the way of hindsight.

I saw who they drafted and then made my choice, so I made my opinions and picks shortly they made theirs.

You're not saying I should have my players picked in all rounds before the draft are you?  I only do the first round that way, it's WAY too much work to do all rounds.

Again, a disclaimer.  I don't see these guys.  I only pick them on stats.  I'm NOT saying that stats are the one and only criteria by whcih to evaluate a players, but it's one part of the picture and it's a part that I think they're ignoring.

Another disclaimer - I can't pick any euros because I can never find any stats on those guys.

In my favor from memory, I think I couple of guys I picked in earlier drafts did better than they did, but again, that's my memory.

Not in my favor, from memory - I think I've picked some same number of guys the Leafs picked. I'll have to check that out.

And again, yes, it's a totally inexact science and a crapshoot, but some teams do manage to do a bit better than others.  I would *LOVE* to see them disclose which scouts were responsible for which picks.

A positive for the organization and a question - I think they do OUTSTANDING on trades, especially for defenseman (McQuaid, Boychuk) so it seems to me that they can evaluate young talent really well.  So why can't they apply more of that to the draft?

And my "reasonable" (but really good) draft expecation is to have their 1st round picks always see 70 (or more) NHL games and their 2nd round picks to see 20 or more NHL games.  And every 2 years 1 player from later rounds to see 30 or more games (where the scouts see something that everyone else missed).  And I haven't run my criteria against their picks yet.

[/QUOTE]

A little long but I forced my way through it. Thanks for the honesty.

2010 was my best recollection of Badhab draft comments. 

The cripple and the OHL version of a Lady Byng winner were the words used for the players the B's picked. You wanted a guy who skated like he was wearing muckluks and the invisible man. 

The cripple and the OHL version of a Lady Byng winner were the words used for the players the B's picked. You wanted a guy who skated like he was wearing muckluks and the invisible man. 

Yes, that was harsh.  Especially since Wheats introduced me to the kid's father (I think, Wheats met him and I think introduced him) at camp.  Or maybe it was Spooner.  One of the 2.  Now I feel bad.

Seriously, Camara looked bad that day.  They all should get with the program and put on their best show since it's BadHab judgement day for their career.

And we always get to hear about what the Bruins missed out on because of crappy Bruins scouting.

Just wondering dez, does your Dallas scouting buddy know of any teams that have scouts named " Foresight ". On BDC there are many named " Hindsight ".

Yes, that was harsh.  Especially since Wheats introduced me to the kid's father (I think, Wheats met him and I think introduced him) at camp.  Or maybe it was Spooner.  One of the 2.  Now I feel bad.

Seriously, Camara looked bad that day.  They all should get with the program and put on their best show since it's BadHab judgement day for their career.

Like I suggested before, an 18 year old attending his first pro camp ? Nerves and being in awe of where he's at ?

P.S. You have a lot of memory issues in the last couple of posts. Join the crowd. 

• Sections
    Shortcuts