Early Draft Prospects Report - 2013/2014 edition

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Early Draft Prospects Report - 2013/2014 edition

Saw my first draft rankings of the year. Granted it's by Craig Button who isn't my favourite prognosticator on these matters, but what the heck - it's an actual hockey story.

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=49649

Reinhart impressed me in the Dub last year, but a little suprised he's slated in as number one to start the season.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Re: Early Draft Prospects Report - 2013/2014 edition

There doesn't seem to be any overwhleming hype of one or two players this year, but maybe that is different in Canada.  It seemed like I heard about MacKinnon-RNH-Yakupov-Hall for years before the draft.  I don't follow junior very closely, but don't know a thing about these guys beyond vague name recognition.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

There doesn't seem to be any overwhleming hype of one or two players this year, but maybe that is different in Canada.  It seemed like I heard about MacKinnon-RNH-Yakupov-Hall for years before the draft.  I don't follow junior very closely, but don't know a thing about these guys beyond vague name recognition.

I think Connor McDavid is getting plenty of hype, but after that yeah, not so much.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Yeah, but McDavid isn't elligible until 2015.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to red75's comment:

Yeah, but McDavid isn't elligible until 2015.

I know, thats why I said that but agreed with Fletch. I think the hype is only going to increase as we get closer. Next years draft i'm sure he'll be mentioned alot even though he wont be there. They were talking about him at the most recent draft.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

One of my first blush reactions when I see these things?  Height and Weight.  For two reasons.  A kid like Alexis Pepin (slotted 30) is under 18 and he's already 6'2" and 230.  He plays in PEI, so I've never seen him, but now I want to.  Is he Dustin Buffet 230 or is he Chara 230?  Either way, if he can get to the slot, I don't think a lot of Jr. D will be moving him out.

Jake Vitanen is only 6' but he's 213.  Ekblad, who played with Camara last year and looks very, very good, is also very, very big for a kid with his skill - 6'4" and 216 (but no way is he only 18 this year - he would have been 10 when he was the lead in "Thank you for Smoking!").  And there's a Fleury on there who's not only over 6' but over 200lbs.  Weird.

Are you not entertained?!?!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

An actor and goalie? He's probably already pretty set.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

One of my first blush reactions when I see these things?  Height and Weight.  For two reasons.  A kid like Alexis Pepin (slotted 30) is under 18 and he's already 6'2" and 230.  He plays in PEI, so I've never seen him, but now I want to.  Is he Dustin Buffet 230 or is he Chara 230?  Either way, if he can get to the slot, I don't think a lot of Jr. D will be moving him out.

Jake Vitanen is only 6' but he's 213.  Ekblad, who played with Camara last year and looks very, very good, is also very, very big for a kid with his skill - 6'4" and 216 (but no way is he only 18 this year - he would have been 10 when he was the lead in "Thank you for Smoking!").  And there's a Fleury on there who's not only over 6' but over 200lbs.  Weird.

And he skates like the flippin' wind too, and smooth and agile to boot - very impressive wheels for someone that big, especially when you consider he was only 16 when I was watching him. If he can get his offense and his positioning together he could be pretty impressive.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

Keep an eye on Aaron Ekblad, a defenseman of the OHL. He could be the next great defenseman. Some people have mentioned his name in the same sentence as Bobby Orr (his agent).

He was the first defenseman granted "exceptional player" status by the CHL. The only other player granted such status was John Tavares.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to Klaas' comment:

Keep an eye on Aaron Ekblad, a defenseman of the OHL. He could be the next great defenseman. Some people have mentioned his name in the same sentence as Bobby Orr (his agent).

He was the first defenseman granted "exceptional player" status by the CHL. The only other player granted such status was John Tavares.

Klaas, Ekblad was awesome in the games that I saw him play on TV. If there's a checklist of skills you're looking for in a D prospect, you can check most of them off for Ekblad.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

So...zero name recognition for Aaron Eckhart then?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

No, because I've only seen the Dark Knight 20  times.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

So...zero name recognition for Aaron Eckhart then?

Oh, I got the joke but I usually only write "LOL" at the end of a death threat. Anyhoo, here's some light reading.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/95121/off-season-trades-make-immediate-mark-in-boston-bruins-top-20/

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

Nice link dez, anyone else have any reports like that? I like reading up on possible future B's.