Ed Jovanovski - 4 years, 16.5 million

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bigpapa1977. Show Bigpapa1977's posts

Ed Jovanovski - 4 years, 16.5 million

Wow, I was wrong. 

In this market, there was no chance he was going to the Bruins for 1 year, 5.5 million.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Ed Jovanovski - 4 years, 16.5 million

Any quality UFA players signing your much heralded one year deals?  They all look like bums to me.

Now, let those of us who know how hockey works talk about how hockey works.  You sit back, watch, read and learn.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from thedauber1. Show thedauber1's posts

were not trying to be jerks here papa, were just trying to spare you some embarrassment, i don't think you need to read for a year like NAS does, but you might not want to start 8 threads a day until you know whats going on

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bigpapa1977. Show Bigpapa1977's posts

I will continue to take my hits when Gagne signs a 5 year, 30 million deal with the Panthers (who apparently will sign anyone who can lace them up).

were not trying to be jerks here papa, were just trying to spare you some embarrassment, i don't think you need to read for a year like NAS does, but you might not want to start 8 threads a day until you know whats going on

Fair enough!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Ed Jovanovski - 4 years, 16.5 million:
    [QUOTE]were not trying to be jerks here papa...
    Posted by thedauber1[/QUOTE]

Oh, I am.  I absolutely am.  This fool was spouting off, telling us all about what he knows and we don't.  He ran his mouth and ran his mouth and ran his mouth.

And now? 

Pie. Face.  Shut up.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from thedauber1. Show thedauber1's posts

okay NAS, i admit I have been doing the same in the past too, but maybe I'm just in a good mood from PC being one of only a hand full of GMs not to grossly overpay someone today and am trying to be nice because of it. in honor of papas old picture, NBA LOCKOUT....YES

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]okay NAS, i admit I have been doing the same in the past too, but maybe I'm just in a good mood from PC being one of only a hand full of GMs not to grossly overpay someone today and am trying to be nice because of it. in honor of papas old picture, NBA LOCKOUT....YES
    Posted by thedauber1[/QUOTE]

I missed that!  Yeah, he was all about the banner of the Celtics until they got locked out.  Now he's a...wait for it...Tar Heels fan.

www.how-to-be-a-front-runner.com

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bigpapa1977. Show Bigpapa1977's posts

I missed that!  Yeah, he was all about the banner of the Celtics until they got locked out.  Now he's a...wait for it...Tar Heels fan.

I am protesting the lockout and that it why I changed my avatar.

I graduated from UNC-CH (class of 1999) with a degree in Economics.  I could have just taken a photo of my diploma, but I thought that was a little over the top - even for me.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from thedauber1. Show thedauber1's posts

no NBA....great day for sports

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]I missed that!  Yeah, he was all about the banner of the Celtics until they got locked out.  Now he's a...wait for it...Tar Heels fan. I am protesting the lockout and that it why I changed my avatar. I graduated from UNC-CH (class of 1999) with a degree in Economics.  I could have just taken a photo of my diploma, but I thought that was a little over the top - even for me.
    Posted by Bigpapa1977[/QUOTE]

Looks like you skipped "Hockey Economics 101" in school. 

Did anyone take a cheap, one year contract to play for the Bruins yet?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

The Jovo signing at $16.5 million is so insanely stupid that I don't even know where to begin.  There is a long list of bad deals, terrible contracts, and gross overpayments today.  The Jovo and Varlamov deals have to be at the top of this hideous list.

Another reason to love the Bruins, who calmly watched this spectacle from the top of the mountain.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]The Jovo signing at $16.5 million is so insanely stupid that I don't even know where to begin.  There is a long list of bad deals, terrible contracts, and gross overpayments today.  The Jovo and Varlamov deals have to be at the top of this hideous list. Another reason to love the Bruins, who calmly watched this spectacle from the top of the mountain.
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

I skimmed an article about Varlamov choosing to play in Russia, something about the Locomotiv and another team vying for his rights.  Next thing I know, he's been traded for a 1st and two other picks. 

It's like stopping a guy on the way to the dump and paying full value price for something in his pick up.  Colorado, who will probably be a 1-5 lottery pick, got taken to the shed on this one.

And that's not even mentioning Varlamov's spotty health history or his relatively short NHL career so far.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from olsonstephanie. Show olsonstephanie's posts

"Special Ed" got 4.5M per year?  Wow.  This is the sign of the end of the world.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ed Jovanovski - 4 years, 16.5 million : I skimmed an article about Varlamov choosing to play in Russia, something about the Locomotiv and another team vying for his rights.  Next thing I know, he's been traded for a 1st and two other picks.  It's like stopping a guy on the way to the dump and paying full value price for something in his pick up.  Colorado, who will probably be a 1-5 lottery pick, got taken to the shed on this one. And that's not even mentioning Varlamov's spotty health history or his relatively short NHL career so far.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

I like your analogy.  The stupidest trade in a long time.  Washington must be having a hysterical fit of laughter.  I try to pull for the Avs since I have been living in Denver for 9 years, but it is just so difficult.  You could only give up that kind of draft bounty for a cornerstone player, a guy to build around.  But the Avs get Varlamov and sign him to a 2-year freakin' deal(!?!).

It'a shame that one of the most dynamic and exciting players (Matt Duchene) is stuck with that half-wit as a GM.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

I'd read Tallon had to spend a lot just to reach to cap floor.  He's repeatedly said he is going to adopt the same strategy with Florida that he did in rebuilding the Hawks.  Tossing this kind of money and years to Jovanovski, a once formidable player whose best years are behind him, seems to be a reach that he may somehow rejuvenate himself with the team in which he started his career.  Small market clubs (i. e., Buffalo, Florida) appear to be driving the market.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Not only are his best years behind him, his average years are as well.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bigpapa1977. Show Bigpapa1977's posts

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nhl/news/story?id=6733324

Wait a second now, Gagne signed for only two years, $7 million....  I said one year, $3.5 - so I at least had the per annum correct.

I guess that he wasn't really in that high of demand after all!

I would have signed for $3.5 X 2!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nhl/news/story?id=6733324 Wait a second now, Gagne signed for only two years, $7 million....  I said one year, $3.5 - so I at least had the per annum correct. I guess that he wasn't really in that high of demand after all! I would have signed for $3.5 X 2!
    Posted by Bigpapa1977[/QUOTE]

There is a slight difference between $3.5M and $7M.

Just slight, however.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

I dont get the Jovanovski deal at ALL!  This is a guy who has score more than 50 only ONCE in his career (51 in 07-08), 40 or more only THREE times and 30 or more only three times.  REALLY!!!!!!?????  A 50 point year, three 40 point years and three 30 point years!?!?!?!?!  16 seasons with not quite half of them scoring more than 30 points a season.  Add to that his that HALF of his seasons have been cut short due to injury or what-have-you, and MAN, he must bring a LOT to the locker room.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In Forbes The Business Of Hockey, Florida was ranked 22nd of the 30 teams with a value of 168 million in 2010.  (Only the Blues, NYI, Tampa, Blue Jackets, Atlanta and the Canes trailed them.) I was trying to find how much revenue they lost last season but couldn't.  How are they going to pay all that money to those players?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

dumb, dumb, dumb.................I'd like to smoke whatever they're having in Florida these days.......