Edmonton Chimos

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Re: Edmonton Chimos

In Response to Edmonton Chimos:
    [QUOTE]Just had to share this.. my girlfriend just signed on with the Edmonton Chimos. Some of you may be going "Who the hell are they?" They're one of the top teams in the top Women's Hockey League - the WWHL. At the moment it's about the highest a woman can get in hockey. There's 8 Olympians on her squad, so this is pretty damn cool. Really proud of her. Starting this week she actually will get a paycheque for playing hockey (though it's a very, very, very, very small one ;) ) just wanted to share that with some hockey fans.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]
    Tell her congrats.A bad day at the rink beats a good day working everytime.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Ain't that the truth.

They have an exhibition game this week against the University of Calgary Dinos, so she'll be lining up against Hailey Wickenheiser (likely head to head since she's a shutdown centre) - very cool. Glad I'm back for a few weeks so I can go watch the game.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Congrats.  Very cool.  Best of luck to her.

PS.  What's a Chimo?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Heh - it's slang for a Ukranian immigrant. Edmonton has a very large Ukranian population

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Though I just did a web search on the word Chimo and it's also, and I quote "contemporary American prison slang for a convicted child molester"

Ok... that's... disturbing.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Edmonton Chimos:
    [QUOTE]Though I just did a web search on the word Chimo and it's also, and I quote "contemporary American prison slang for a convicted child molester" Ok... that's... disturbing.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]
    Especially that edmonton has a whole team of them.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tuckerw3. Show Tuckerw3's posts

Haha funny last comment and thats wicked sick man congrats.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

So they won 5-2. She did end up centring the checking line - no points, but she kept Wickenheiser off the score sheet!!! Pokechecked her all night long.

Something to tell the kids about one of these days.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]So they won 5-2. She did end up centring the checking line - no points, but she kept Wickenheiser off the score sheet!!! Pokechecked her all night long. Something to tell the kids about one of these days.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]
    Glad to hear she had some success against one of the best female players ever.Congrats to her.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

they are an edmonton legend the Chimos are...along with Clare Drake, nice bragging rights red !!!!  

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

That's great Red! Congrats to your girl. I have some hockey playing chicks in my fam down here in NE. One of my friends has a daughter on team USA. I actually like watching the women play. Other than the lack of hitting you can forget your watching women sometimes. Some amaznig skaters on that level, eh?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

In Response to Edmonton Chimos:
    [QUOTE]Just had to share this.. my girlfriend just signed on with the Edmonton Chimos. Some of you may be going "Who the hell are they?" They're one of the top teams in the top Women's Hockey League - the WWHL. At the moment it's about the highest a woman can get in hockey. There's 8 Olympians on her squad, so this is pretty damn cool. Really proud of her. Starting this week she actually will get a paycheque for playing hockey (though it's a very, very, very, very small one ;) ) just wanted to share that with some hockey fans.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

Congrats to your girlfriend!  UNH use to have the best of teams in US hockey. Don't get to see many games but the few I have I have enjoyed.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

It's some pretty good hockey - can't complain when you're watching the best on the ice, regardless of gender or age group, though with the exception of Wickenheiser most of the Dinos were badly outclassed. They have a hell of a goalie or else the score would have been a lot more lopsided. Though Hailey made two passes that made me realize why she's considered the best. One was a no look drop pass between the legs and the other was a pass redirect that looked a bit like Lemiuex's non-pass in the 2002 Olympics (though she made contact with her back foot). Fortunately her teammates couldn't finish. My girl blocked one, and the other went over the crossbar.

Until this season the two of us played in a full-contact league for the last five years (we met on that team). There's a few more checking leagues starting up for women now (my avie is from a full-contact league in Cali) which, in my opinion, is long overdue. Hopefully sooner or later they'll adopt full-contact on the IIHF level.

She was complaining to me after the game that it was tough going back to the old rules - likely why she got a roughing penalty. It was actually on Hailey - offsetting minors. She threw a check and Wickenheiser responded with a slash. Part of why she got signed I guess - I love her dearly, but she can be a mouthy little b***h on the ice. A total irritant.

And islamorda one of the other Chimos is a former Wildcat. Tricia Dun Luoma. And WTL, that;s great about your friend's daughter. That's a tough team to make. He must be crazy proud (sorry she only got silver this year ;-) )

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Also if any of you are interested in watching the women's game Boston has a  really good expansion team this year in the CWHL, the WWHL's sister league. The two league champions play each other each year for the World club championship, the Clarkson Cup (donated by and named after a Governor General of Canada just like some other famous trophy) The Boston Blades are in second spot behind Montreal right now, and I think they have a home and home series this weekend with Montreal. There's something poetic about Boston's biggest rival even in the women's game being Montreal. The Boston squad is made up almost entirely of players from New England. (In the draft, they had proprietary rights to players from the Northeast US)

It'd be pretty cool if I end up having to come out to Boston to watch a Blades/Chimos final ;)

Hell, they even wear black and gold

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Red, my wife and I are fans of the Blades as she knows a couple of them. I haven't gotten to any of the games but she has been to one so far. Hoping to get there one of these days. Maybe when the Chimos come to town!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

So she got her first goal tonight in the "bigs". Backhand to the five hole off the rebound - a dirty goal from crowding the crease. But as Espo used to say " there's no such thing as a dirty goal."

She's plus 8 over five games, so she's doing something right. (three more blocks tonight)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Well considering Recchi has a good shot at ending up in the HHOF even Belle would say you're nuts. But, on her behalf, thanks for the compliment

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49thparallel. Show 49thparallel's posts

Isn't Halley W a little old to be playing University hockey... ?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

It's kind of odd - she's either 32 or 31 now, but she had never gone to university before and under Canadian rules she has full eligibility. Weird to think of her playing at that level but, due to Canadian rules and her own desire for an education, that's her club these days.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

Congrats Red. That is most cool.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Red, congrats to your better half on her first goal . I also enjoy watching women's hockey when I get a chance. It is exciting hockey on a different level.
    btw, this is definitely not a thread for gender bashing posters.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

And now she's got a one game suspension - fighting. Like I said, a total irritant ;)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]And now she's got a one game suspension - fighting. Like I said, a total irritant ;)
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]
    An all-around player.Doesn't mind mixing it up.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Well... yeah, I suppose, but unfortunately IIHF rules don't appreciate that as much. She's a rugged player, but she has to keep her temper in check. However, tonight she told me that she'll gladly take the suspension if it means the next time she's in the lineup opposing players will think twice before they run one of her team's stars. She's more of a Campbell or Thornton than she is a Lucic. She's mainly a defensive forward and, for the women's game, a bit of a goon ;) And she doesn't have alot of offensive upside. Her points come from crowding the paint. Which is fine - it's not her job to score. As long as she crowds the lanes and keeps the puck out of the net, she's happy. She actually uses the longest legal stick for that reason alone.

I bug her that Reg Dunlop would have loved her.