Either the Coach (system) or Players Need to Change Now!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobforte2002. Show bobforte2002's posts

Either the Coach (system) or Players Need to Change Now!

I've never been a big fan of Claude mostly based on the system his teams play but more importantly because of his track record. He's never won anything and more importantly he has a history of his teams quitting on him.

That being said Claude can only be faulted so much for players that refuse to show up and play with intensity and heart every night.  The Bruins as a team continue to not show up on any regular basis and often they only start playing after deficits have occurred..  This isn't a 5 game, a 10 game or even a season thing.  We are going on two years now of this team regularly playing without commitment to winning or what often matters most in and wins and losses, heart.

Regardless of what percentage of blame each should have placed on them it's seems clear that Claude either has to go or the players the Bruins are putting on the ice need to change.

This team lacks any true stars and only has a couple that play like stars in short spurts (i.e. Chara, Thomas and Savard).  Beyond that I've come to the conclusion that either the system is holding players such as Krejci, Bergeron and Seguin back from becoming more consistent offensive contributors or most of these players are simply closer to C Level NHL caliber players than they are A-B players.

Regarding the system people have said it before, Claude plays not to lose instead of playing to win.  Winning hockey in his system revolves around being a positive even strength team and having plus special teams play.  Limit the opponents chances and capitalize on your own.  The problem with this system is it's fit for the 1990's NHL where the trap was king, players could clutch and grab at will and preventing a high number of shots was rather easy to accomplish.  The Bruins are finding night in and night out it's not working. It's not just the losing that speaks to this, it's the fact they are in the bottom of the league in shots allowed per game and on most nights the vast majority of offensive play is in their own end.  I'm not a Hall of Fame Hockey coach but you can't score spending most of the game 200 ft from the opponents goal.

A defense first system can work in today's NHL (See Chicago and Detroit) but it's predicated on the defense being able to either skate the puck out of their end or make the first pass as well as forwards being able to carry the puck with speed through the neutral zone and with possession into the other teams end.   

The Bruins lack offensive, skating, playmaking defenseman and their forwards for the most part lack the speed and puck carrying ability themselves.  Which is why the Bruins D is far too often going east to west instead of north and south and why the forwards often just chip the puck and play the dump and chase game.  

Thus the Bruins have no choice.  Claude either needs to alter the system a bit by going with a two man forcheck and allowing both the forwards and defense to take more offensive chances (note we have the goaltending to allow this) or we need to bring in players that can play Claude's system more effectively.

However if the Bruins choose to stick with a system the players either can't or don't want to play while refusing to change the coach and or the players then we will continue to see what we have here in the hub of hockey for far too long. A hockey team that plays just well enough to qualify for the playoffs but one that is easily bounced by teams that even have less talent but are constituted of players designed to exceed in their particular system.

If you don't think matching coaches, systems and players makes a difference take a look at the Patriots. They draft and bring in Free Agents not based on others perception of those players talent level but how they feel those players will fit into their system.  Proof beyond the Pats winning record is the fact that when these players leave the Patriots how do they do?  Branch, Givens and the likes, well none of them have done that well. 

Change is the only thing that can save this team.  Whether it's the players, the coach or the system. But the idea of doing nothing and hoping it's just going to fix itself is madness.  One definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.  I don't know about any of you but I'm going fairly insane of watching this team go through the motions the same way game in and game out.  I see a playoff DQ or an early exit coming if things stay the same. Why expect different results?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

Re: Either the Coach (system) or Players Need to Change Now!

Craig Ramsey versus Claude Julien this Thursday...

This might get ugly, Booin fans !

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JYaso. Show JYaso's posts

ST

www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=f93ab227636b76ce50b801a171d8b2b9&plckUserId=f93ab227636b76ce50b801a171d8b2b9">
    First: 5/3/2010
    Last: 12/22/2010
    Craig Ramsey versus Claude Julien this Thursday...

This might get ugly, Booin fans !

Dude-- you have nothing to contribute to this board.  You said you would leave after Seguin was not playing on the Juniors team and you keep going back on your word that obviously doesnt mean anything.  Just like a Habs fan.  By the way, nice team you got there.  They are playing just as bad as the Bruins.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JYaso. Show JYaso's posts

As far as the Original post--- well thought out, except you lost me on the Blackhawks being a defence first team.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

Actually, I said I was posting here until the WJC is over...

Funny how many posters get that wrong...

The original poster has it about right...

Craig Ramsey versus Claude Julien on Thursday will be a big test of Julien's authority behind the bench...

Have the Bruins' players tuned him out ?

I think that they have...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichmondHillOntario. Show RichmondHillOntario's posts

I was listening to ex-Bruin and Flyer, now assistant Leaf GM Dave Poulin on THE FAN 590 today.  He was questioned on what's been ailing his team and among the issues was slow starts to games. 

Of course, my hearing immediately became more keen as we know this has plagued the Bruins for what seems like ages.  He said he's been in the room when Wilson lays out the game plan but what often happens is the team doesn't execute it. 

In his experience as a player he said an overall lack of team discipline and focus can sometimes prevent teams from performing even the most well laid-out strategies that are meant to play to their own team's strengths.  Poulin presented the responsibility of focus as 50/50 in that coaches prep the players but the players have to take it to the ice as the coaches can't do it for them. 

I'm not saying this is what's hurting the Bruins.  Just thought it was an interesting insight from a former NHLer.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Either the Coach (system) or Players Need to Change Now!:
    [QUOTE]I was listening to ex-Bruin and Flyer, now assistant Leaf GM Dave Poulin on THE FAN 590 today.  He was questioned on what's been ailing his team and among the issues was slow starts to games.  Of course, my hearing immediately became more keen as we know this has plagued the Bruins for what seems like ages.  He said he's been in the room when Wilson lays out the game plan but what often happens is the team doesn't execute it.  In his experience as a player he said an overall lack of team discipline and focus can sometimes prevent teams from performing even the most well laid-out strategies that are meant to play to their own team's strengths.  Poulin presented the responsibility of focus as 50/50 in that coaches prep the players but the players have to take it to the ice as the coaches can't do it for them.  I'm not saying this is what's hurting the Bruins.  Just thought it was an interesting insight from a former NHLer.
    Posted by RichmondHillOntario[/QUOTE]
    All good points Richmond but why would anyone respect the opinion of a former NHLer when there are so many experts on here that disagree.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichmondHillOntario. Show RichmondHillOntario's posts

//All good points Richmond but why would anyone respect the opinion of a former NHLer when there are so many experts on here that disagree.//
    dez - Clever, brother!  Very clever!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

Can anyone actually name the last head coach before Claude Julien to lose a playoff series after being up 3 games to none ?

Uh-huh !

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]//All good points Richmond but why would anyone respect the opinion of a former NHLer when there are so many experts on here that disagree.// dez - Clever, brother!  Very clever!
    Posted by RichmondHillOntario[/QUOTE]
    I'm undoubtedly guilty of thinking I know more than I really do.....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from CafardoSaysTradeBrady. Show CafardoSaysTradeBrady's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Either the Coach (system) or Players Need to Change Now! : I'm undoubtedly guilty of thinking I know more than I really do.....
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

fact.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Either the Coach (system) or Players Need to Change Now! : fact.
    Posted by CafardoSaysTradeBrady[/QUOTE]
    Post of the night.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

Guess NOT !

HINT #1 - It happened last in 1975...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

I could swear someone is saying something but,for the life of me,I don't hear him......

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Either the Coach (system) or Players Need to Change Now! : fact.
    Posted by CafardoSaysTradeBrady[/QUOTE]

Hey Cafarto, where are you coming from the xmas troll bridge across the Charles?  What a hoser you are at this point of posting.  Try football, then again you are in the wrong league there too. 

Sections
Shortcuts