1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

EJ McGuire and the Central Scouting

a
    a
    • Article rank
    • 16 Jan 2011
    • Edmonton Journal

Draft rankings for the fans

E.J. McGuire, the NHL’s Central Scouting boss, spends a lot of time warding off angry hockey agents who don’t like his ratings prior to the entry draft.

CHRIS SEWARD, RALEIGH NEWS & OBSERVER, FILE Carolina’s 2010 first-round draft pick Jeff Skinner checks Patrice Cormier of the Atlanta Thrashers into the Hurricanes’ bench during an NHL game at the RBC Center in Raleigh, N.C., last week.

It’s not like the former NHL assistant coach has a personal stake in ranking this June’s high-end players like big centre Sean Couturier or power forward Swede Gabriel Landeskog.

“They’ll say, ‘What am I going to tell the parents?’ ” said McGuire. “I say, ‘What did you tell the parents when you wanted their boy as your client? Did you lie to them?’

“I get a little irritated and defensive and a little snappy with agents. I’ve heard from agents of players who’ve we’ve ranked 50th ... and they think they should be in the top 10. I say, ‘If you bring this kid to Minneapolis (for the 2011 entry draft), you’re going to have parents and the kid crying in the stands at the end of seven rounds.’

McGuire also watches games as a supervisor in the NHL’s war room in Toronto in case there are goal disputes or possible infractions that might need further discipline.

That’s in addition to scouting hundreds of junior games along with his staff (former Edmonton Oilers winger Blair MacDonald is one of the nine bird dogs) and providing a primer for the draft. The NHL teams don’t have to take the Central Scouting lists in the fall, midway through the season, and the spring as gospel, but McGuire and his scouts see everybody.

“What we’re trying to do is paint a picture for the fans with all these players,” he said.

It looks like there’s another good crop of prospects again this year. There’s no lead-pipe No. 1 or No. 1a pick like Taylor Hall and Tyler Seguin last year, or a kid head and shoulders above everybody else like Sidney Crosby in 2005. But no matter where the Oilers finish in the lottery, they’ll get a player like Swedish defenceman Adam Larsson; Couturier; Ryan NugentHopkins, a dynamic smaller centre; or Landeskog, the tough-nosed captain of the Kitchener Rangers currently ranked No. 1.

“This is a very good one and a very even draft year, although many would be a year away from playing (in the NHL), and I don’t mean to demean these talented kids. It’s just that they’re a bit on the skinny side. You never know, though. God bless that Alex Burmistrov. I thought he might be laying on an operating table right now. Last year in Barrie, he was all of 162 pounds, wringing wet. Either Atlanta’s protecting him well or he’s put some weight on. Good for him. And Jeff Skinner in Carolina? He’s beating the odds (as the eighth overall pick); a smaller-sized kid with great hands. It’s a surprise he’s there and doing so well,” said McGuire.

McGuire says there’s little difference for teams picking early in the draft. Central Scouting has the Swedish world junior winger Landeskog, currently out with a high ankle sprain, in first place, but barely. Other possibilities are Couturier, whose foot speed is a little suspect; small Justin Huberdeau, who has 62 points in 40 games while playing on the best line in junior hockey in Saint John, N.B., with two other likely firstrounders, Zac Philip and Slovakian junior Tomas Jurko; and former American Hockey League star Don Biggs’ son Tyler, a U.S.-born power forward.

“Couturier is a bit on the unpolished side. He’s not your prototypical Quebec League skater ... not to bring up bad memories like Alexandre Daigle. I’m an oldtimer. To me, he’s Jean Ratelle. He is a slinky offensive player and nobody plays better in his end,” said McGuire.

“Landeskog goes to the net and stays there. Takes a beating. He’s a polished speaker and a legitimate captain in his second year over (in North America). That’s a bit of a departure from the Victor Hedmans and Adam Larssons, who stayed in Sweden, playing in the Elite League, playing against men,” McGuire said.

Larsson is the players the Oilers should go after.

“He’s a little flashier than Hedman (the No. 2 pick in 2009 currently on the Tampa Bay defence). The round-the-campfire, second-hand story is he’ll crosscheck you to hurt you, not to move you out,” said McGuire.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Re: EJ McGuire and the Central Scouting

In Response to EJ McGuire and the Central Scouting:
    a a Article rank 16 Jan 2011 Edmonton Journal Draft rankings for the fans E.J. McGuire, the NHL’s Central Scouting boss, spends a lot of time warding off angry hockey agents who don’t like his ratings prior to the entry draft. CHRIS SEWARD, RALEIGH NEWS & OBSERVER, FILE Carolina’s 2010 first-round draft pick Jeff Skinner checks Patrice Cormier of the Atlanta Thrashers into the Hurricanes’ bench during an NHL game at the RBC Center in Raleigh, N.C., last week. It’s not like the former NHL assistant coach has a personal stake in ranking this June’s high-end players like big centre Sean Couturier or power forward Swede Gabriel Landeskog. “They’ll say, ‘What am I going to tell the parents?’ ” said McGuire. “I say, ‘What did you tell the parents when you wanted their boy as your client? Did you lie to them?’ “I get a little irritated and defensive and a little snappy with agents. I’ve heard from agents of players who’ve we’ve ranked 50th ... and they think they should be in the top 10. I say, ‘If you bring this kid to Minneapolis (for the 2011 entry draft), you’re going to have parents and the kid crying in the stands at the end of seven rounds.’ McGuire also watches games as a supervisor in the NHL’s war room in Toronto in case there are goal disputes or possible infractions that might need further discipline. That’s in addition to scouting hundreds of junior games along with his staff (former Edmonton Oilers winger Blair MacDonald is one of the nine bird dogs) and providing a primer for the draft. The NHL teams don’t have to take the Central Scouting lists in the fall, midway through the season, and the spring as gospel, but McGuire and his scouts see everybody. “What we’re trying to do is paint a picture for the fans with all these players,” he said. It looks like there’s another good crop of prospects again this year. There’s no lead-pipe No. 1 or No. 1a pick like Taylor Hall and Tyler Seguin last year, or a kid head and shoulders above everybody else like Sidney Crosby in 2005. But no matter where the Oilers finish in the lottery, they’ll get a player like Swedish defenceman Adam Larsson; Couturier; Ryan NugentHopkins, a dynamic smaller centre; or Landeskog, the tough-nosed captain of the Kitchener Rangers currently ranked No. 1. “This is a very good one and a very even draft year, although many would be a year away from playing (in the NHL), and I don’t mean to demean these talented kids. It’s just that they’re a bit on the skinny side. You never know, though. God bless that Alex Burmistrov. I thought he might be laying on an operating table right now. Last year in Barrie, he was all of 162 pounds, wringing wet. Either Atlanta’s protecting him well or he’s put some weight on. Good for him. And Jeff Skinner in Carolina? He’s beating the odds (as the eighth overall pick); a smaller-sized kid with great hands. It’s a surprise he’s there and doing so well,” said McGuire. McGuire says there’s little difference for teams picking early in the draft. Central Scouting has the Swedish world junior winger Landeskog, currently out with a high ankle sprain, in first place, but barely. Other possibilities are Couturier, whose foot speed is a little suspect; small Justin Huberdeau, who has 62 points in 40 games while playing on the best line in junior hockey in Saint John, N.B., with two other likely firstrounders, Zac Philip and Slovakian junior Tomas Jurko; and former American Hockey League star Don Biggs’ son Tyler, a U.S.-born power forward. “Couturier is a bit on the unpolished side. He’s not your prototypical Quebec League skater ... not to bring up bad memories like Alexandre Daigle. I’m an oldtimer. To me, he’s Jean Ratelle. He is a slinky offensive player and nobody plays better in his end,” said McGuire. “Landeskog goes to the net and stays there. Takes a beating. He’s a polished speaker and a legitimate captain in his second year over (in North America). That’s a bit of a departure from the Victor Hedmans and Adam Larssons, who stayed in Sweden, playing in the Elite League, playing against men,” McGuire said. Larsson is the players the Oilers should go after. “He’s a little flashier than Hedman (the No. 2 pick in 2009 currently on the Tampa Bay defence). The round-the-campfire, second-hand story is he’ll crosscheck you to hurt you, not to move you out,” said McGuire.
    Posted by Stuke50

Thanks.That was a good read.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruins6. Show Bruins6's posts

Excellent article. I was checking out Tsn before and on the blogs peolpe (I imagine Leafs fans) were saying this draft was weak.
    All drafts are good I guess if you draft the right players :-)))

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Thanks for posting the article.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

In Response to Re: EJ McGuire and the Central Scouting:
    Excellent article. I was checking out Tsn before and on the blogs peolpe (I imagine Leafs fans) were saying this draft was weak. All drafts are good I guess if you draft the right players :-)))
    Posted by Bruins6

i know a leafs fan who told me it didn't matter who we drafted last year, he still wouldn't be as good as kessel. it's been over a year since he told me that and it still makes me laugh. not surprising they think we won't get anything this year either.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

Id be pumped if they got either Swede! Always really liked swedish players.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

Adam Larsson blew me away at the WJC. This is the guy the Bruins should do everything in the power to get. If the guy isn't picked in the first 2 or 3 spots, then trade up to get him. I doubt he'll last past the 4th or 5th pick. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

In Response to Re: EJ McGuire and the Central Scouting : i know a leafs fan who told me it didn't matter who we drafted last year, he still wouldn't be as good as kessel. it's been over a year since he told me that and it still makes me laugh. not surprising they think we won't get anything this year either.
    Posted by goodnewsbears

At this point, the leafs have still won the trade. Kessel has scored many more goals than Seguin. It'll be at least 5yrs until any comparison can be made. And lets not forget, we missed those goals last year in a big way. So patting ourselves on the back for this one is premature. One more timely goal against Philly and we move on.  But we didn't get it. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Awry. Show Awry's posts

The Bruins need to pick in the top 4.  Leafs need to be worse

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Perrysound.
    I solidly disagree..

Kessel is still a better player, but that trade was made to improve the team which it hasnt. The team went from drafting 7th, to drafting 2nd.. They regressed, they aren't looking much better this season either..

In 5 years who is a better player will be debatable, but kessel was brought in to improve the team instantly, and he hasnt.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

Perrysound. I solidly disagree.. Kessel is still a better player, but that trade was made to improve the team which it hasnt. The team went from drafting 7th, to drafting 2nd.. They regressed, they aren't looking much better this season either.. In 5 years who is a better player will be debatable, but kessel was brought in to improve the team instantly, and he hasnt.
    Posted by rolerhoky19

I agree too. 
    But from a Point / Goal producing point of view, they win.(as of now)
    And don't forget, we are missing those goals. 

Kessel has 49 goals and 86 points for the Leafs.
    Seguin has 7 and 9 for 16 points.

Hard to compare straight up. Different teams / styles, etc.. but the #s are the #s, and they are ahead, right now.

I'd love to see Larsson in Black and Gold. Doubt it, but would love it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from choclab511. Show choclab511's posts

The only numbers that matter are 57 and 41, that's the points the Bs and Leafs have earned to date. The trade was an absolute steal no matter how you slice it. And as an aside, if we paid Phil all the money he wanted and didn't make the trade, there's no way Horton and Campbell are on this team and we'd probably still be stuck with Wideman.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

Perrysound. Did Kessel want to play here in Boston this season ?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

Perrysound. Did Kessel want to play here in Boston this season ?
    Posted by Stuke50

You are right, Kessel wanted out of town. Who knows why. I've heard every side of that story. One thing we do know, Toronto doesn't expect him to play 2 way hockey.
    PC could have traded him to a few teams. I'm sure there were a few other good offers. But, if I was PC I would make this trade again 100 times over. My point is still the same. 86 pts vs 16 pts. Plain and simple. Where were these points when we needed them against Philly last year? Could Kessel, or someone else have made the difference. We will never know, but we lost after a 3-0 game lead. I cannot forget that easily. We paid a big price for these picks, and as sure as I am that they will pan out, they haven't YET!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Perry,
    dead right on that last post, we traded a player, for a draft pick, so we got 0 production last year.  But Burke said the day the made that trade that they drafted 7th, they wouldn't be drafting that high again.. (and i didnt see you saying anything about kessel wanting to play in toronto etc)

So from that point, toronto has the better player, but the team didnt improve the way they had been expected to, which is why i would argue they didn't win the trade (similarly to we didn't replace the production)..

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

Perry, dead right on that last post, we traded a player, for a draft pick, so we got 0 production last year.  But Burke said the day the made that trade that they drafted 7th, they wouldn't be drafting that high again.. (and i didnt see you saying anything about kessel wanting to play in toronto etc) So from that point, toronto has the better player, but the team didnt improve the way they had been expected to, which is why i would argue they didn't win the trade (similarly to we didn't replace the production)..
    Posted by rolerhoky19

Burke isn't the genius he thinks he is. That Harvard education has gone to his head, and not in a good way. An ego the size of Manhattan. He's made far many more mistakes than good moves from what I have seen.

I don't get your point about "(and i didnt see you saying anything about kessel wanting to play in toronto etc) ". 

Look it didn't break my heart to see Kessel leave Beantown. I personally don't like his game, but he scores goals, and that is something we are missing. 

Anyway, this is a good team, but the goal scoring is suspect again. It worries me when the playoffs come that we will be a goal short again, for the 3rd consecutive year.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

I was saying, there was nothing in your previous post (which got the "did kessel want to play here"), that made me think you were talking about keeping kessel.  I got your point, about kessels production etc, and that its not related to kessel wanting to be here, etc.. etc..

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tom857. Show Tom857's posts

The Leafs don't necessarily have to be worse, which is good, because I don't think they will be unless there's an injury to Kessel, Phanuef, Giguire, Bozak, or Grabovski... but with teams like The Devils improving, if they win at a better clip than Toronto, they'll end up lower anyway... the Devils have SUBSTANTIALLY more talent to make up those 5 wins. GO, KOVY, GO! (haha)
    Also, the Senators should get some mojo back, especially when Spezza returns... a team with Alfredsson can't be this low for this long. In the long run, I see bottom in the East going to the Islanders, and hopfully the Leafs right behind them.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kebbe. Show kebbe's posts

Kessell simply did not want to play in Boston and was,is and will be making a ton of cash for the foreseeable future,and he remains a one dimensional player ,and at this point in his career it is doubtful that he wil change his game.Could the B's use those goals right now?Yes!but how many more would they have surrendered with him on the ice for big minutes.Also,Seguin is a kid and a young kid to be In the NHL and has shown the promise of becoming a outstanding first line center(maybe wing,could be).He also plays hard in a three zones,has a terrific work ethic,seems to be intelligence and wants to be the best he can be.There is no way I would reverse this deal.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

In Response to Re: EJ McGuire and the Central Scouting : I agree too.  But from a Point / Goal producing point of view, they win.(as of now) And don't forget, we are missing those goals.  Kessel has 49 goals and 86 points for the Leafs. Seguin has 7 and 9 for 16 points. Hard to compare straight up. Different teams / styles, etc.. but the #s are the #s, and they are ahead, right now. I'd love to see Larsson in Black and Gold. Doubt it, but would love it.
    Posted by perrysound

You forgot that the Bruins would not have Krejci if they had Kessel.  So Krejci 82 points + Seguins 16 points = 98 more than Kessel.  Now lets look at +-  Krejci and Seguin +20, Kessel -24.  

Plus possibly as soon as next year we will have three guys contibuting points.  The deal is not Seguin for Kessel, It is Seguin, Knight and there First this year for Kessel.

We lost nothing when we lost Kessel with him we made it to the 7th game of the second round, without him we made it to the 7th game of the second round.  Plus just like Kovalchuk made the devils worse Kessel has made the leafs worse.

Sections
Shortcuts