ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Re: ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In Response to Re: ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!:
    In Response to Re: ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!! : Ok not sure if this one was answered but  Fred Cusick and DereK Sanderson
    Posted by rochesternybruinfan

Don't forget John "pin eyed" Pearson

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davinator. Show Davinator's posts

In Response to Re: ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!! : The Bruins? or the heterosexual thing? (sorry "playing for our team" is a loaded question in my world and context is key) Either way I don't and never wiil, but thanks for the compliment.
    Posted by red75

...I knew the inference and definitely meant as tongue-in-cheek.

But the compliment stands - it was about time someone brought some hockey talk back to this forum.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

O'Reilly was known for being a tough player, racking up over 200 penalty minutes in five consecutive seasons, and earning for himself the nickname "Bloody O'Reilly" in the press. His teammate, #7 Phil Esposito, dubbed O'Reilly "Taz" in reference to  the cartoon character Tasmanian Devil  for O'Reilly's reckless, hard driving, non-stop style of play. He was very protective of his teammates causing  Ray Bourque  to note, when the Bruins retired his number, that the banner "hangs next to mine, protecting me again. That's awesome." [2]
    Posted by Macfact

He even led the Bruins in scoring one year.  Think it was 92 points or something.  Pretty damn good.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Griswal65. Show Griswal65's posts

In all honesty, I always knew his nickname was Tasmanian Devil. About 25 years ago, I heard and interview with Park where he shortened that to Taz. Seemed to me like it was a dressing room name.
    Posted by red75

Ya, Taz has, well, always been knows as 'Taz.' That should be a mandatory response for continued posting privelege here.....

Tazmanian devil..... Any who saw him play early days in his career would understand. Whirling dervish who left quite the path of destruction in his wake....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Griswal65. Show Griswal65's posts

In Response to Re: ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!! : No worries mattt... I was aiming it at all the loons that came out of the woodwork thanks to our weirdo goalie. And yes, 7-1 on Thornton is an acceptable answer for too many men on the ice. Sigh... at least it looks calmer this morning. Maybe they've all gone back to arguing with each other on the Fox News and Huff Post boards.
    Posted by red75

No red, be strong; you put a lot of thought into those !!

Too many men = Cherry guffaw in '77 ( ? ) playoffs that led to tying goal for the peps, that led to OT howitzer by Lafleur, that led to them winning whole ball of wax....Billy Buckner-level snafu.... Do I get a popsicle now ??

Pie = John McKenzie, not 3.14 whatever.......

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

Bobby Schmautz, Wayne Carlton, Steve Kasper, Greg Campbell
    Posted by dannycater

Bobby Schmautz was one of my favorites on those teams.. that OT goal was a real big moment

Number 11

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Griswal65. Show Griswal65's posts

In Response to Re: ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!! : Bobby Schmautz was one of my favorites on those teams.. that OT goal was a real big moment Number 11  
    Posted by JWensink

To add to Red's stumpers, who was known as " Dr Hook ?"   And we're not talking the stoner 70s rock artist who wrote ' Cover of the Rolling Stone ' - ha ha ha....

Schmautzy had a Ryder-like cannon, played with an edge but both Fro man Tremblay and Big Bird of the peppers pummelled him good on seperate occassions

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!! : Ya, Taz has, well, always been knows as 'Taz.' That should be a mandatory response for continued posting privelege here..... Tazmanian devil..... Any who saw him play early days in his career would understand. Whirling dervish who left quite the path of destruction in his wake....
    Posted by Griswal65

My oldest memory of the Bruins has Cashman as Captain and Park on the blueline.  I grew up in a rink and on the pond.  My family had season tickets in the real Boston Garden for many years.  I have been exposed to Boston Bruins hockey on all different levels for my entire life.  I never heard O'Reilly called "Taz" until I saw Happy Gilmore.

My point?  While it might have been/be a nickname for him, it wasn't/isn't as widely used as some are making it out to be.  It wasn't like Pie or Rocket, a substitue for his first name.  I am quite positive I never heard him referred to as "Taz O'Reilly".  Fred and Derek never called him that, either.

For those who haven't heard it before, it's no big deal.  It's one of those nicknames that is rarely used or heard.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Re: ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!! : My oldest memory of the Bruins has Cashman as Captain and Park on the blueline.  I grew up in a rink and on the pond.  My family had season tickets in the real Boston Garden for many years.  I have been exposed to Boston Bruins hockey on all different levels for my entire life.  I never heard O'Reilly called "Taz" until I saw Happy Gilmore. My point?  While it might have been/be a nickname for him, it wasn't/isn't as widely used as some are making it out to be.  It wasn't like Pie or Rocket, a substitue for his first name.  I am quite positive I never heard him referred to as "Taz O'Reilly".  Fred and Derek never called him that, either. For those who haven't heard it before, it's no big deal.  It's one of those nicknames that is rarely used or heard.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

so that just says what the heck do you know? 

If you paid attention back then and read more about the Bruins instead of spending so much time perfecting the total buzz kill, you might have learned a couple of bits of obscure trivia.

You can't answer one single unanswered question on my quiz thread Mr. NAS BuzzKillington.  Double dog dare you.  Chowda got one.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Griswal65. Show Griswal65's posts

That's quite a few years ago... are you taking your gingko supplements ? If not, it's been almost 30 years since O'Reilly retired. As coach for 2 years, no, not really applicable as a moniker, but I beg to differ during his playing years; it was pretty commonplace then....  

"Dr Hook" for Schamutz, that was not so common...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

That's quite a few years ago... are you taking your gingko supplements ? If not, it's been almost 30 years since O'Reilly retired. As coach for 2 years, no, not really applicable as a moniker, but I beg to differ during his playing years; it was pretty commonplace then....   "Dr Hook" for Schamutz, that was not so common...
    Posted by Griswal65

And to answer a question from my quiz thread, his team mates nicknamed Esposito "Espie", not "Espo" as the public nicknamed him.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Griswal65. Show Griswal65's posts

I don't think announcers ever use nicknames during broadcasts, as they have to give the apperance of not being homers or being tight with the team etc. As well, a lot of viewers aren't hardcore, so nicknames may not resonate. regardless of how common. When they do refer to them, I believe they preface it after referring to their full name, with soemthing like " who's commonly known as.... etc"

Read Cherry's 1st book, NAS... constant references to " Taz "

"Chow," now there's a less-known moniker....Keith Crowder 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

In Response to Re: ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!! : My oldest memory of the Bruins has Cashman as Captain and Park on the blueline.  I grew up in a rink and on the pond.  My family had season tickets in the real Boston Garden for many years.  I have been exposed to Boston Bruins hockey on all different levels for my entire life.  I never heard O'Reilly called "Taz" until I saw Happy Gilmore. My point?  While it might have been/be a nickname for him, it wasn't/isn't as widely used as some are making it out to be.  It wasn't like Pie or Rocket, a substitue for his first name.  I am quite positive I never heard him referred to as "Taz O'Reilly".  Fred and Derek never called him that, either. For those who haven't heard it before, it's no big deal.  It's one of those nicknames that is rarely used or heard.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Bruin's education by Adam Sandler. How embarrassing for you. 

I would think most B's fans over 35 would know #24 as "Taz", exclusive of a Sandler movie. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Not knowing that Terry O'Reilly had the nickname Taz while with the Bruins back then ? LOL

This from an interview from The Whig a couple of years ago when Cashman and "Taz" were in Kingston, Ontario together.
                                                      ---------
    Dubbed Taz by his teammates after the carnivorous Tasmanian devil, O'Reilly never surrendered ice peacefully. He was at his finest when banging and crashing and creating havoc for the opposition

Edit : No references to the movie Happy Gilmore in the interview.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!! : Bruin's education by Adam Sandler. How embarrassing for you.  I would think most B's fans over 35 would know #24 as "Taz", exclusive of a Sandler movie. 
    Posted by Crowls2424

Not embarrassing at all.  I'd put my Bruins and hockey knowledge up against anyone in a written, no computers used test.  It's just not that common of a nickname for O'Reilly.  Again, I'm not suggesting that it wasn't what his teammates called him, I'm just saying it wasn't used like more common nicknames.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

I have to agree with "Buzz" NAS on this one.  Although "Dougie" is Dougie Hamilton, as listed everywhere.  Most of the time I knew O'Reilly as O'Reilly never Terry or "Taz".

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In Response to Re: ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!! : Not embarrassing at all.  I'd put my Bruins and hockey knowledge up against anyone in a written, no computers used test.  It's just not that common of a nickname for O'Reilly.  Again, I'm not suggesting that it wasn't what his teammates called him, I'm just saying it wasn't used like more common nicknames.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

With NAS on this one.  In the pre-internet era of my youth I learned about the Bruins from game broadcasts, newspaper articles, and talking with friends.  I do not recall hearing the name Taz used for O'Reilly, one of my favorite players.  Not saying it wasn't, just saying that I don't remember becoming accustomed to the nickname until after he retired.  Being honest here.

If that fact alone makes people think I didn't follow the team or watch games, you're just wrong.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In Response to Re: ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!! : With NAS on this one.  In the pre-internet era of my youth I learned about the Bruins from game broadcasts, newspaper articles, and talking with friends.  I do not recall hearing the name Taz used for O'Reilly, one of my favorite players.  Not saying it wasn't, just saying that I don't remember becoming accustomed to the nickname until after he retired.  Being honest here. If that fact alone makes people think I didn't follow the team or watch games, you're just wrong.
    Posted by Fletcher1

With you guys on this one..Only time I ever heard the nickname "Taz" was for the boxer Vinny Pazienza, local kid, who they referred to a the tazmanian devil...I'm of the thought that it wasnt O'Reilly's nickname.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Re: ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!! : Not embarrassing at all.  I'd put my Bruins and hockey knowledge up against anyone in a written, no computers used test.  It's just not that common of a nickname for O'Reilly.  Again, I'm not suggesting that it wasn't what his teammates called him, I'm just saying it wasn't used like more common nicknames.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Fair enough, I'll give you a question and I trust you as gentleman and a scholar not to cheat.

Last Bruin to score a goal in a Stanley Cup final previous to the 2011 cup win.

I think that's an easy question.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Not knowing that Terry O'Reilly had the nickname Taz while with the Bruins back then ? LOL This from an interview from The Whig a couple of years ago when Cashman and "Taz" were in Kingston, Ontario together.                                                   --------- Dubbed Taz by his teammates after the carnivorous Tasmanian devil, O'Reilly never surrendered ice peacefully. He was at his finest when banging and crashing and creating havoc for the opposition Edit : No references to the movie Happy Gilmore in the interview.
    Posted by Chowdahkid-

Chowda,

I'd say if Isla, Fletcher, Kel and I all agree about something, that gives some weight behind the validity of any statement.

So save your pitiful mocking for yourself.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Re: ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!! : Chowda, I'd say if Isla, Fletcher, Kel and I all agree about something, that gives some weight behind the validity of any statement. So save your pitiful mocking for yourself.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

OK, I think there's an easy way to settle that arguement rather than cherry picking users;

http://www.boston.com/community/forums.html?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3aSportsForum%3a0d190bb9-6882-4397-9ce1-e66db723d396Discussion%3a409eceae-cf78-4c8a-b01f-9528ce90d2d1

This is the thread entitled;

Is the nickname 'Taz' for Bruin Terry O'Reilly commonly known - or not?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!! : OK, I think there's an easy way to settle that arguement rather than cherry picking users;
    Posted by BadHabitude

I disagree.  First, Chowda is such a loser, he'll make 25 different log ins and vote 26 times.

Second, if you have me, Fletch, Isla and Kel behind an argument, it's given quiet considerable weight.  I don't care what a poll says. 

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Re: ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!! : I disagree.  First, Chowda is such a loser, he'll make 25 different log ins and vote 26 times. Second, if you have me, Fletch, Isla and Kel behind an argument, it's given quiet considerable weight.  I don't care what a poll says. 
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

I think my opinion has quite a bit of considerable weight.
    I'd look toward several other users for this; dez, bookboy, Stanley (his homerism doesn't weigh in on this), and wheats for sure.

I will grant you that it is trivia, and is related to age.  If you fought to read the globe every day in the middle school/high school library back in the day and took in every word like it was the word of God, you would have picked it up.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!! : I disagree.  First, Chowda is such a loser, he'll make 25 different log ins and vote 26 times. Second, if you have me, Fletch, Isla and Kel behind an argument, it's given quiet considerable weight.  I don't care what a poll says. 
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Quit drinking on Saturday nights. It makes you cranky Sunday morning. Out of respect for the rest of the posters I'll let you carry on with this kind of garbage posting by yourself.

I'll talk hockey . You can talk about me.

Sections
Shortcuts