Eriksson redux

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Eriksson redux

After reading all the comments on not seing the real Eriksson we had a glimpse last night in his first few shifts and in the final minute. Good for him, and hopefully he will emerge as the player we expected. Still cannot say anything positive about Thorny except he tries hard. Iginla fought; Campbell fought; McQ fought; all legitimate hockey fights as part of the game. Toronto is better than they have been, bigger, faster, tougher and even some extras that last night's refs could not see or call. Paul Stewart has always been one of my favorites, and is the kind of ref who should be providing instructions on managing a game, as today's speed is tough to keep things in focus for the refs.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

Re: Eriksson redux

Ericksson does all the little things that no one notices especially his speed to back check, does it well. Too many expect too much as from him as far as goal scoring goes. This teams system isnt built on offense as you will notice no one domintaes there, its spread out. Too many will compare Eriskson to seguin and that the better deal went to Dallas but i disagree. I love what the bruins have in Eriksson and smith and now seeing what the others doing in providence I beleive the better deal went to the Bs longterm

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I like to watch the NHL.com highlight package the day after a game whether I watched the game or not.  You notice things when they digest the game to "highlight" events, like how many of those highlights involve Eriksson from last night's game.  Couple of instances where he goes hard to the net with the puck, makes a good play to keep the cycle alive, applies back-pressure etc.  Watch that package and you'd wonder how Loui wasn't first star.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Watch that package and you'd wonder how Loui wasn't first star.

[/QUOTE]

As someone who actually watched the whole game.....nope. He had a very uneven game, gave the puck away multiple times, avoided contact like the plague, and seemed slow and sluggish.

Look, I have nothing against him at all, I even liked this trade at the beginning, but let's not put on our homer glasses and pee our pants as to how awesome he is when he is clearly struggling.....whether that be due to a new team culture or effects of the concussion.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

I thought he was invisible.  That shift where he turned the puck over 3 times in 10 seconds stands out.  I would have no issue using him on the 3rd line for a while.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

In response to bogie6's comment:
    [QUOTE]

After reading all the comments on not seing the real Eriksson we had a glimpse last night in his first few shifts and in the final minute. Good for him, and hopefully he will emerge as the player we expected. Still cannot say anything positive about Thorny except he tries hard. Iginla fought; Campbell fought; McQ fought; all legitimate hockey fights as part of the game. Toronto is better than they have been, bigger, faster, tougher and even some extras that last night's refs could not see or call. Paul Stewart has always been one of my favorites, and is the kind of ref who should be providing instructions on managing a game, as today's speed is tough to keep things in focus for the refs.

[/QUOTE]

The tripping call on Boychuk was really lame last night against the Leafs...fortunately the B's PK is doing a good job right now.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I thought he was invisible.  That shift where he turned the puck over 3 times in 10 seconds stands out.  I would have no issue using him on the 3rd line for a while.  

[/QUOTE]

You don't recall him forcing Phaneuf to turn over the puck in that infamous last 22 seconds?

So he turned over the puck a few times, players make mistakes.  Someone told me that recently.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You don't recall him forcing Phaneuf to turn over the puck in that infamous last 22 seconds?

So he turned over the puck a few times, players make mistakes.  Someone told me that recently.

[/QUOTE]

Oh god. You dont wanna start on that again.  One bruin player has more hits then dion.  Last night he had 5.  Your dislike of dion does not influence my opinion of him.  There are 30 NHL teams.  He is the captain and number 1 dman on his team.  The leafs are currently 3rd and 2 pts outta first place in the conf.  He logs huge minutes every night for them.  He is a ufa and will easily get over 7 million a year.   most avg dmen dont have all the above working for them.  Is he smug? Yes.  Is he an elite dman?  Yes he is.   

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Eriksson will keep getting better and more comfortable, I think.  He looked pretty good last night to me, as I would prefer to have him making things happen while making some errors over being quiet/unengaged.  

More importantly, I think he'll be able to play effectively in the playoffs, something Seguin struggled with greatly.  If we must keep forcing that comparison, Eriksson looks better in November than Seguin did in May/June (when it mattered most).  His stats on the top line in Dallas this year are almost meaningless in comparison to his stats during the Stanley Cup run last year, when he played for us.   

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Very interesting point about Eriksson's abilities in the playoffs. Thing is, Seguin and Eriksson actually have comparable playoff stats if you pro-rate them.....not trying to fight, just sayin.

Eriksson:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8470626

Seguin:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8475794

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49thparallel. Show 49thparallel's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Oh god. You dont wanna start on that again.  One bruin player has more hits then dion.  Last night he had 5.  Your dislike of dion does not influence my opinion of him.  There are 30 NHL teams.  He is the captain and number 1 dman on his team.  The leafs are currently 3rd and 2 pts outta first place in the conf.  He logs huge minutes every night for them.  He is a ufa and will easily get over 7 million a year.   most avg dmen dont have all the above working for them.  Is he smug? Yes.  Is he an elite dman?  Yes he is.   

[/QUOTE]

I don't think he meant this as an attack on Phaneuf.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to 49thparallel's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't think he meant this as an attack on Phaneuf.

[/QUOTE]

go read the game day thread.  Yes he did.  he thought he was terrible.  I thought he played Well.  Along with franson.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to marco0863's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to jmwalters' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Very interesting point about Eriksson's abilities in the playoffs. Thing is, Seguin and Eriksson actually have comparable playoff stats if you pro-rate them.....not trying to fight, just sayin.

Eriksson:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8470626

Seguin:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8475794

[/QUOTE]

Nothing wrong with an argument

[/QUOTE]

Again marco, comparisons of stats almost mean nothing to me.  Did you watch the Stanley Cup last spring?  I did.  It left a major impression on me.  Different stats from different teams doesn't have much of an impact on that impression.  And maybe Seguin will be great in the playoffs this year.

But the Bruins were so, so close to a Stanley Cup last year, and Seguin easily could have been the 'swing vote' (as another poster put it) in that very close series.  It was there for the taking.  Instead he was invisible.  Shockingly unproductive for his skill set.

You can have your stats and your affection for players that used to play here.  For me, my interest as a fan is based on two currencies -- the Boston Bruins and winning Stanley Cups.  Given that mindset, your constant attention for Thornton, Kessel, and Seguin makes no sense to me, and really doesn't interest me.  Even when they play well for their new teams.

We'll see how Eriksson does.  I'm not going to prentend he's better than he is, or ignore bad play.  But I root for the Bruins and am disinterested in hypothetical fantasies about former Bruins who didn't play as well in Boston as they should have.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

One thing I look for is when a forward takes a shift or two off for character measurement, LouI does not do this. Positionally he is sound as well. My only gripe is he needs to shoot a lot more.

Again comparing a 1st line center to a left wing is just plain dumb!

Sections
Shortcuts