Evaluating the Division

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucdufour. Show lucdufour's posts

Evaluating the Division

With the new interdivisional playoff format slated for next year, it'll be imperative that the Bruins stack up well against Mont, Det, Tor,  Buff, Ott, Fla, and TB  as more than likely (wildcard pending) you'll have to play against 2 of them before the Conference Final.  Based on the draft and FA, this division looks like it has gone through the most change for the better.   I know how the Bruins look but would love to know how other posters feel about the rest of the Division.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

Re: Evaluating the Division

Too early to tell when teams don't have their full rosters yet.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

toronto, ottawa and detroit have gotten better. montreal the same. The bruins have gotten worse, but I still think they are the best team in that "conference"

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

I think our top 6 is better  I think our bottom 6 is slow and doesnt offer much offense. I think our def are slow and aging, saying this i still think very solid.   Im hoping at least 2 of the rookies can play well all year with their learning and development.   Rask with a good year and playoff run shoud be confident and get better.   

I think most teams got better.  I really like what ottawa and the leafs did.  I like the habs adding briere and parros.  Parros is a legit clown who i like.  Problem is he has to fight for all those twirps.  

Areas for conern in my eyes is the bottom 6.  The 4th line is fine.  Im really concerned over soder and?   But its the same as last year.  It never really fixed itself.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chef09. Show Chef09's posts

I toatally forgot about the realignment. I heard on sports radio out here in Van. that Afredsson chose Detroit and I was thinking: that way he doesn't play them so often. d-oh. Now they're in the B's division. I liked not having to play Detroit in the playoffs- better they cause trouble for Hawks and Canucks etc. Not sure I like them in the North East but it certainly makes sense from their point of view with travel.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

shupe how about Knuble?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

So anything less than a SCF appearance means this Bruins squad is worse than the one before it? That's a pretty tall order don't ya think?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Montreal added Briere and Parros.

Detroit Stephen Weiss, Daniel Alfredsson

Rangers  LW Benoit Pouliot, C Dominic Moore, D Aaron Johnson

Philly C Vincent Lecavalier, G Ray Emery

Pittsburgh D Rob Scuderi, LW Chris Kunitz (re-signed), RW Pascal Dupuis (re-signed), C Craig Adams (re-signed)

Say goodbye to: LW Matt Cooke, RW Jarome Iginla, RW Tyler Kennedy

Washington Say hello to: No one

Say goodbye to: C Mike Ribeiro, C Matt Hendricks, RW Joey Crabb, D Jeff Schultz

Toronto RW David Clarkson, C Dave Bolland, C Tyler Bozak (re-signed)

Say goodbye to: LW Clarke MacArthur, C Mikhail Grabovski"

Toronto will challenge but that is all in the East I see giving the Bruins trouble. Detroit is tuff but I don't see them taking the Bruins in a 7 game series.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to hangnail's comment:

shupe how about Knuble?

I said faster not beer league fast.   Our 3rd line depth was an issue last year.   Kelly could bounce back and will always be good on the draws/Pk.  But reality is our 3rd line is worse.  No one knows what soder will bring.  Most times it seems these big euro guys stink.  I hope that isnt the case.   We also have to rely on a rookie and a 4th line featuring ST.  I am with those who think paille should get a promotion.   Or. Use campy paille spooner and crown them the 3rd line.   

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

I don't buy that our top 6 got better. Horton and Iginla are a wash but I think Seguin is better than Eriksson. There is also no way to know when iginla will lose his legs. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to Bruinfaninnewjersey's comment:

So anything less than a SCF appearance means this Bruins squad is worse than the one before it? That's a pretty tall order don't ya think?

I think anytime you lose that many core guys off your roster its a wait and see approach.  khl line had amazing chemistry.  I think iggy is more consistent and overall healthier.   He also will be playing for a contract and brings in better leadership.  

loui goes from non playoff and empty rink to contender.  I think he will do great.  

What i am wooried about is this:

soder- looked ok, but this is an 82 gm schedule.  Can he handle that.  I have my doubts.  

Kelly-  need a bounce back year.  

Paille- not worried about him, im worried moving him really only weakens the 4th line 

rookie-  it didnt work last year watching guys bounce in and out and down to the farm you go.  i realize we must try and im down with it. I like carons game.  I also think this could be spooners time to shine.  We need someone like marchand did to step up and be a player for us.  

Def-  hamilton, krug, bart, morrow.  We saw what happened to hamilton.  I predicted it would happen.  Most felt he was the next bobby orr in year one.  I think our biggest weakness is our main 3 are aging.   We have 4 rookies.  And McQ is a steady 5-6 pairing.  

Backup.  if rask goes down or needs a rest im not very comfy with CJ.   But its a backup so i dont really care.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

In response to Bruinfaninnewjersey's comment:

[QUOTE]

I think anytime you lose that many core guys off your roster its a wait and see approach.  khl line had amazing chemistry.  I think iggy is more consistent and overall healthier.   He also will be playing for a contract and brings in better leadership.  

loui goes from non playoff and empty rink to contender.  I think he will do great.  

What i am wooried about is this:

soder- looked ok, but this is an 82 gm schedule.  Can he handle that.  I have my doubts.  

Kelly-  need a bounce back year.  

Paille- not worried about him, im worried moving him really only weakens the 4th line 

rookie-  it didnt work last year watching guys bounce in and out and down to the farm you go.  i realize we must try and im down with it. I like carons game.  I also think this could be spooners time to shine.  We need someone like marchand did to step up and be a player for us.  

Def-  hamilton, krug, bart, morrow.  We saw what happened to hamilton.  I predicted it would happen.  Most felt he was the next bobby orr in year one.  I think our biggest weakness is our main 3 are aging.   We have 4 rookies.  And McQ is a steady 5-6 pairing.  

Backup.  if rask goes down or needs a rest im not very comfy with CJ.   But its a backup so i dont really care.  

[/QUOTE]

I don't quite get what you are saying about Hamilton. I didn't notice a huge drop off in his play, I think that was the plan for him the whole time. I think he's going to be getting huge minutes this season, and might challenge boychuk to be Chara's partner. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:

I don't buy that our top 6 got better. Horton and Iginla are a wash but I think Seguin is better than Eriksson. There is also no way to know when iginla will lose his legs. 

Iggy is better and a sure thing for 30.  Horton isnt playing until xmas.  Iggy makes that first line better, provides more leadership, hits more, fights more, is a better pure sniper and lucic loves him.  

Loui may not get as many pts in the bruins system bc well we like protecting our own end first.  I think loui is better in his own end, better on the pk and pp, has always cranked nearly 30 a year and is a better all round player.   

seguin could get 40 this year and if dallas doesnt make the playoffs they are meaningless goals.  Seguin will get a boat load of ice time playing 1st line minutes at center.  He was never gonna get that here.   his production does not warrant his contract.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

29 goals in the last full year. i honestly think that's worth 5.75 there, but factor in that those numbers are going to go up and up and up i think his contract is really really good. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Hamilton started great, the season wore on, games got tougher and his play dropped.  It dropped so much that he was behind bart, krug and redden.  To me thats significant.  His confidence was shot.  When you play scared to make a mistake you are in trouble.  

We now have to hope he doesnt regress like guys like myers.  And we need playoff wonder krug to be solid.  Bart i think will be consistent and likely gets better next year.   Im worried about hamilton knowing how to raise his game.  he failed to do it at the world juniors when he was supposed to make a huge difference.   He was good, not great.  Im sure he sees the open door for the other guys to take his spot.  I bet his comes in blazing next year.  Or i hope anyway.  He has all the skill you want from a future backbone dman.  I worry about his brain.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

i think the D pairings wind up as such 33-27, 44-55, 43-54

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

29 goals in the last full year. i honestly think that's worth 5.75 there, but factor in that those numbers are going to go up and up and up i think his contract is really really good. 

There is more to the 5.75 then goals.  Ryder had 35 that year.   Seguins doesnt excel on the pp, he doesnt kill pims.  Seguins overall game isnt great.  Now, im not stupid enough to know that hes only 21 and will only get better.  I think he burnt his bridges in boston, there was a need to get the cap down to sign a rask and a iggy and to top it we get a guy who produces every year.  the bonus is the prospects that are coming.   If morrow turns into a top 4 dman like he could and should this is a win win deal.   

I predict loui numbers to drop and seguins will rise.  Seguin will get so much ice time and will be playing with benn.   I think those 2 light it up next year.  on the other hand loui will be put in a system that doesnt produce a lot of individual scorers that crank the top 20.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

i think the D pairings wind up as such 33-27, 44-55, 43-54

I liked hamilton better with seidz.  And i like boychuk better with chara.  I think the 4 rookies will all get a chance.   Dressing that many rookies can be dangerous.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

[QUOTE]

There is more to the 5.75 then goals.  Ryder had 35 that year.   Seguins doesnt excel on the pp, he doesnt kill pims.  Seguins overall game isnt great.  Now, im not stupid enough to know that hes only 21 and will only get better.  I think he burnt his bridges in boston, there was a need to get the cap down to sign a rask and a iggy and to top it we get a guy who produces every year.  the bonus is the prospects that are coming.   If morrow turns into a top 4 dman like he could and should this is a win win deal.   

I predict loui numbers to drop and seguins will rise.  Seguin will get so much ice time and will be playing with benn.   I think those 2 light it up next year.  on the other hand loui will be put in a system that doesnt produce a lot of individual scorers that crank the top 20.  

[/QUOTE]

isn't benn a center, i thought they planned to play him at center. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to stanjon's comment:

[QUOTE]

toronto, ottawa and detroit have gotten better. montreal the same. The bruins have gotten worse, but I still think they are the best team in that "conference"

You lose your top scorer 2 yrs ago and 2nd top scorer last year. You also lose your top playoff performer so how can the bruins be the best in conference?  

[/QUOTE]

because they also brought in iginla, a very good player in eriksson, and were miles ahead (although they didn't always play like it) of all teams in their division next year.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

isn't benn a center, i thought they planned to play him at center. 

[/QUOTE]

Benn is being moved back to his regular wing position.  The plan is to use seguin as his center.  If so they both will finish in top 20.   That is if ruff lets them open up.  The one thing to remember is that seguin will now face every shut down dmen/line in the league.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

What in the world would lead you to believe that Seguin is better than Eriksson as of today? There's not a shred of evidence to support that assertion. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

[QUOTE]

What in the world would lead you to believe that Seguin is better than Eriksson as of today? There's not a shred of evidence to support that assertion. 

[/QUOTE]

Beat me to it. Nice call Dez! 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

Montreal added Briere and Parros.

Detroit Stephen Weiss, Daniel Alfredsson

Rangers  LW Benoit Pouliot, C Dominic Moore, D Aaron Johnson

Philly C Vincent Lecavalier, G Ray Emery

Pittsburgh D Rob Scuderi, LW Chris Kunitz (re-signed), RW Pascal Dupuis (re-signed), C Craig Adams (re-signed)

Say goodbye to: LW Matt Cooke, RW Jarome Iginla, RW Tyler Kennedy

Washington Say hello to: No one

Say goodbye to: C Mike Ribeiro, C Matt Hendricks, RW Joey Crabb, D Jeff Schultz

Toronto RW David Clarkson, C Dave Bolland, C Tyler Bozak (re-signed)

Say goodbye to: LW Clarke MacArthur, C Mikhail Grabovski"

Toronto will challenge but that is all in the East I see giving the Bruins trouble. Detroit is tuff but I don't see them taking the Bruins in a 7 game series.

None of these teams have the deep center brigade of Krejci, Bergeron, Kelly/Soderberg and Campbell and this is what I think helps separate the Bruins from the others.  Here in Toronto the Bozak signing was pretty big.  Presumably he's their top line C followed by Kadri then Bolland with Jay McClement centering Orr and McClaren on the fourth line. 

IMO Bozak, at best would center Boston's third line.  The Bruins will be in the thick of things at the top of the conference despite what I anticipate are forecasts from some who predict a backslide due to changes in the roster.

Sections
Shortcuts