Ever have the rink to yourself? What to do?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Ever have the rink to yourself? What to do?

It happens every so often no one shows up at stick and puck but me, or other circumstances where I have the rink to myself (let's keep this anonymous, because say for example, you have a buddy who works at the rink and lets you know there's 2 hours free and maybe management might get bent out of shape about that).

I do the drills I can remember, I can't remember them all, I get really bored, I leave the rink.  Such a shame since I know I have an hour or 2 sometime before I know the next rental will show up.

Sean Skinner has great videos, but putting the cd's in my hockey bag along with a tv and finding a place to plug it in at the rink is a bit inconvenient.

Does anyone know of any books where the individual stick drills are illustrated?  I figure I could put them in my bag and refer to them on those occasions where no ones at the rink but me.

It's odd that there a million books on skating drills, diagramming team drills and off ice conditioning, but I've never seen books diagramming individual type stick drills.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Re: Ever have the rink to yourself? What to do?

In Response to Ever have the rink to yourself? What to do?:
    [QUOTE]It happens every so often no one shows up at stick and puck but me, or other circumstances where I have the rink to myself (let's keep this anonymous, because say for example, you have a buddy who works at the rink and lets you know there's 2 hours free and maybe management might get bent out of shape about that). I do the drills I can remember, I can't remember them all, I get really bored, I leave the rink.  Such a shame since I know I have an hour or 2 sometime before I know the next rental will show up. Sean Skinner has great videos, but putting the cd's in my hockey bag along with a tv and finding a place to plug it in at the rink is a bit inconvenient. Does anyone know of any books where the individual stick drills are illustrated?  I figure I could put them in my bag and refer to them on those occasions where no ones at the rink but me. It's odd that there a million books on skating drills, diagramming team drills and off ice conditioning, but I've never seen books diagramming individual type stick drills.
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]
    I've never read any of these...
    http://www.hockeyshot.com/Hockey_Books_Manuals_s/162.htm

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I often have the rink to myself on afternoons in San Diego but they won't allow a stick and pylons which is a joke but what can you do figure skaters need their space (Blah!).

Now this particular rink is surrounded by a food court of a pretty big mall and to no ones surprise on here I found myself often wondering if I could get a way with mooning the stadium seating crowd while they eat their Chipolte Burrito and Rubios fish tacos. Meh...but alas...sigh I like skating their so being the responsible citizen I am (wink!) and not grossing the lunch time crowd out, I just get my workout of stop n starts in.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Re: Ever have the rink to yourself? What to do?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Ever have the rink to yourself? What to do? : I've never read any of these... http://www.hockeyshot.com/Hockey_Books_Manuals_s/162.htm
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

I have the 2 most relavant, haven't read the scoring one.

Also, another thing I've never seen is an individual "rule book" for players other than goalies.  Tons of books for that type of thing for goalies, but not for players.

What I mean by "rule book" is all the things you should do as an individual dependant on what your position is, and only as the individual.  I've made up my own "rules", like
    short passes rather than the riskier long ones
    it's better to "eat" the puck rather than make a blind pass
    try to remember where everyone is

and of course all the classics like don't pass or skate through your own crease or in front of the goal.

I've seen all this covered in books\videos as a team, but not as individual.

Another good one would be "what to think" as you're playing, on offense, make yourself open by find space, or what should I do if I get the puck altho it seems unlikely right now, try to keep track of where everyone is... all that stuff.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

OMG where do you live ? an empty rink for yourself ???
    I could have 10-15 guys constant ready to play on any given night.
    I know most of you are from the U.S. but I'm organizing a pond hockey team to play on Lake Memphremagog at the end of February anybody has game in them and  live in Southern Quebec ?  It's 40mins from Burlington Vermont.
    Planning to have teams in the "competitive" and " open" divisions.  PJ Stock played a couple of years ago.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I used to end up at Stick Time by myself for hours because my school had the rink from 5-7am four mornings a week, but we only used it officially twice at that time.

Outside of actual gameplay, there is nothing better.  I'd have a big ole pickle bucket full of pucks, no more equipment but gloves, skates and a stick.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]OMG where do you live ? an empty rink for yourself ??? I could have 10-15 guys constant ready to play on any given night. I know most of you are from the U.S. but I'm organizing a pond hockey team to play on Lake Memphremagog at the end of February anybody has game in them and  live in Southern Quebec ?  It's 40mins from Burlington Vermont. Planning to have teams in the "competitive" and " open" divisions.  PJ Stock played a couple of years ago.
    Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE]

I (sounds like we) live in MA.  NONE of the ice times are in the evening/night, all the open ice is during the day when everyone's at work or in school and only those of us with flexible hours can get get to it.

[edit]  oh yah, I know that tournament, I remember some of the guys I play with saying they entered a team in it - and either they won some division or were beaten in some division by a team (or their team) with a bunch of ringers in it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]I often have the rink to myself on afternoons in San Diego but they won't allow a stick and pylons which is a joke but what can you do figure skaters need their space (Blah!). Now this particular rink is surrounded by a food court of a pretty big mall and to no ones surprise on here I found myself often wondering if I could get a way with mooning the stadium seating crowd while they eat their Chipolte Burrito and Rubios fish tacos. Meh...but alas...sigh I like skating their so being the responsible citizen I am (wink!) and not grossing the lunch time crowd out, I just get my workout of stop n starts in.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

San Dog, that's an easy one.  Amazon and find power skating and/or hockey skating and there's zillions of books with millions of drills.

I *would* do them in your situation, but since I'm allowed sticks and pucks I find it utterly totally irresistable.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

To be honest, when this used to happen to me, I would do a few basic things.

• work on my edges: go around each circle at full speed, exaggerate your edging/try to generate speed while you're turning instead of between the circles. do it with the puck and without the puck.
    • work on stamina: no matter what level you're at, this is crucial. that means sprints with a lot of stops and starts (btw: make sure to rest. sometimes you forget how much time you're resting when there is a lot of people there. Make sure you stay hydrated and give yourself a break).
    • Shooting: aim to get off 200-300 pucks. I personally wouldn't sit in the slot with all those pucks and fire away, instead, come in from the boards at a sharp angle and try to get a quick shot off. (Btw: Of course, the ability to do this will depend on how many pucks you bring to practice. I'm usually scrounging around my bag for a couple, and would have no intention of shooting 200-300 pucks without at least 10 pucks)
    • Naked skating: You're in the rink by yourself, so I highly recommend you try a few wind-sprints in the nude. As someone who has done this myself, I can tell you that it is one of the greatest feelings you will ever experience. Your natural set of equiptment will feel free, your mind will feel liberated, you'll wonder why this is your first time doing it. Just try not to get too excited and don't fall.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Ever have the rink to yourself? What to do?:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ever have the rink to yourself? What to do? : San Dog, that's an easy one.  Amazon and find power skating and/or hockey skating and there's zillions of books with millions of drills. I *would* do them in your situation, but since I'm allowed sticks and pucks I find it utterly totally irresistable.Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

In So Cal that's not in the middle of the day ? ahh no...The 2 pick up leagues I'm in are late night because there aren't that many leagues and figure skating lessons for rich Kristy Yamaguchi brats take precedent.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

i try to recreate bobby orr's goal against st. louis.  the best ever for an old bruins fan.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Sounds like Olsonic has or had those old Gretzky training videos from ... mid-80s?  They would have been among the first wide distribution instructional videos because it was still relatively early in the VHS market.  I remember the circles drills in particular in part because he would go right in to the faceoff dot and try to carve around it.  It looked ridiculous to me, but there's a reason I'm a horrible skater.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

I skated at the Hartford Civic Center back in the eighties with the lights at about half power. I was by myself for about 30 minutes before Sylvain Turgeon joined me on the ice, we had benches at center ice that we used to go up and down the wings practicing our saucer passes over them.  I was not very good, but he was hitting my tape on a regular basis with the puck nice and flat!  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Before retiring the only skating was when coaching, so I really enjoyed having a group of beginners who gave their sticks to their dads or moms, and we spent a full 45 minutes just skating and skating. Often had to explain why having the boot fit was important to the skating result. After retirement, for a few years I found ice time, for Seniors, at a rink just over the bridge on Cape Cod. Only a few skaters, but no pucks or sticks. Aging does make crossovers a real challenge.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mikeonetwo. Show Mikeonetwo's posts

I have a pretty simple puck handling drill I like.  Set two pucks or your gloves a little wider than shoulder with apart, in front of you.  Move the puck in a figure 8 between and around the gloves/pucks. (the figure 8 is the path of the puck around the gloves)  At the same time pick a spot on the glass and stare at it. move in both directions.  As you get more comfortable spread the gloves out and begin moving your feet side to side while keeping your gloves/puck in front of you. (still moving the puck in a figure 8)
    After you get really comfortable, try it in front of the net and try picking corners after one of two rotations through the gloves.  Quick hands and quick shots.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

[QUOTE]Sounds like Olsonic has or had those old Gretzky training videos from ... mid-80s?  They would have been among the first wide distribution instructional videos because it was still relatively early in the VHS market.  I remember the circles drills in particular in part because he would go right in to the faceoff dot and try to carve around it.  It looked ridiculous to me, but there's a reason I'm a horrible skater.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

Nope, never saw those videos. Aside from that, the circle drill I'm talking about isn't done on the dots, it is done on each outer ciricle. It's a staple of U.S.A. hockey that I'm sure many of the players in the MA area grew up doing. I've done it at every level (squirts-->College). Extremely common drill in the USA.

Without question, the best way to get better at hockey is to work on your skating.

Btw: can't believe no one has commented on my naked skating suggestion

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

[QUOTE]I skated at the Hartford Civic Center back in the eighties with the lights at about half power. I was by myself for about 30 minutes before Sylvain Turgeon joined me on the ice, we had benches at center ice that we used to go up and down the wings practicing our saucer passes over them.  I was not very good, but he was hitting my tape on a regular basis with the puck nice and flat!  
    Posted by MeanE[/QUOTE]

wow! that's pretty cool!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

I hop in the Zamboni and tool around for a bit. Everything else I can do anytime, even when other people are on the ice and I've done drills thousands of times. But driving the Zamboni? Never. C'mon now...you all now the song, so sing it with me!
    I wanna drive the Zamboni!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I used to find that Harvard's rink (Bright?) would sometimes have nobody else on the ice during open skates.  A good thing too, since that is the site of my most recent forget-to-remove-skate-guard moment.  I just about broke my elbow coming off the bench, but thankfully, no one there to see it.

I love skating by myself.  I'd do mostly skating drills, since shooting at an empty net gets boring pretty quickly.  Edge work, a few sprints, stop-starts -- get a workout.

Of course, if I was at Sandog's rink, I'd be sitting on the bench stuffing down Chipotle too.  When I leave this world, I'd be okay with arriving at an ice rink with a Chipotle next to it...the stuff of legend...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

The only time I can ever get rink time by myself is at the shinny rink up by my sister's (she lives North of Vancouver towards Whistler where you can actually get outdoor ice in the winter) Otherwise you're never going to get alone time in the overpacked indoor rinks here in metro-van.

During those rare times though, it's all about a bag of pucks, moving around the offensive zone and taking shots on net for as long as I can handle the cold.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

Someone needs to make a website detailing open ice times...

Not open skates, open ice...

Also, anybody in MA have a place where they get open ice?

I've been looking for years and can't find anything consistent...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]Someone needs to make a website detailing open ice times... Not open skates, open ice... Also, anybody in MA have a place where they get open ice? I've been looking for years and can't find anything consistent...
    Posted by mannyortez3424[/QUOTE]

What do you mean specifically?
    I get the rink to myself now by knowing someone who can tell me when there's a cancellation or empty ice, so you have to have an "in."

When I was a kid my friends and I were rink rats at BU and the Boston skating club.  We would just hang out and get on the ice if no one was around and skate until we got thrown out.  And finally ended up getting barred from the rink altogether.

Just about every rink has stick and puck times, just google the rinks near you to find out when, usually lunch time when everyone is at work/school.  And every so often it just so happens I end up being the only one there.

Or build a rink in the back yard and you're sure to always have ice time.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

Not the best use of my time.

1) Toe drags for a while just skate around toe dragging around pucks that I scattered across the ice.

2) Between the leg's dangles (not the stick just the puck). Either toe drag style or off of the backhand. Again, just skating around doing this around all the scattered pucks on the ice.

3) Slap shots from the point.

4) Tough angle shots. Sitting almost on the goalline and sniping opposite corner on the net.

Basically any other "gimmicky" type move that you dont really ever get to practice but certainly can pull off in a game if you do practice it enough.

I forgot flipping pucks up and trying to bat them out of the air as well.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from stanjonathan17. Show stanjonathan17's posts

Here in Winnipeg, getting an outdoor sheet of ice all to yourself is relatively easy at any local community centre. 

There is nothing in this world like the sound of newly sharpened skates on a freshly flooded outdoor sheet of ice.  Carving the circles, ringing shots off the cross bar and skating so fast in the fierce cold that you have to wipe the tears from your face ...that's hockey !!

I'm in my mid-forties now, but everytime I have the rink to myself I get flashbacks from when I was 10.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from stanjonathan17. Show stanjonathan17's posts

On second thought... I'd like to get in a fight with my old man, just like Dean Youngblood.

Sections
Shortcuts