Everyone in the East Getting Better...except for

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JYaso. Show JYaso's posts

Re: Everyone in the East Getting Better...except for

The team has payroll flexibility with their moves in the offseason which means  that they have the ability to develop players coming through their system and not over paying for free agents that the teams they were playing for decided that they did not want.  Other then Brad Richards, what free agent was out there that was worthy of overpaying for?

Was Kaberle worth 4.25 mill a year for 3 years--- NO!

Was Ryder worth what he got from Dallas-- NO!

Do the Bruins have the payroll flexibility @ the trade Deadline to make a deal to help themselves going into next years playoffs? --- YES!

I call this setting the team up for many years to come and call it smart on Managements part.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

This team is already better then it was at this time last year, and with cap space to boot. To me the only question is whether or not Savard returns.......

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from FanfromGWN. Show FanfromGWN's posts

Montreal, Ottawa, Philly (at least not until 2012-13), Winnipeg, Pitts (depending on returning to health but still missing parts), Islanders.... Bruins have filled two departed players and will fill Recchi's void via player growth and development - they look just fine for next season.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

In Response to Re: Everyone in the East Getting Better...except for:
    Is this like a Jeopardy question? I'll take NHL for &1000 Alex. Eastern Conference team that is NOT getting better this off season. What is Montreal? Correct!
    Posted by WalkTheLine

Wishful thinking.

As for Boston, they don't need to add. They keep the core of the team and they're YOUNG. Will they win the Cup again? Who knows...the NHL has an awful lot of parity. But they'll be one of the handful of teams with a true fighters chance.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Everyone in the East Getting Better...except for : Wishful thinking. As for Boston, they don't need to add. They keep the core of the team and they're YOUNG. Will they win the Cup again? Who knows...the NHL has an awful lot of parity. But they'll be one of the handful of teams with a true fighters chance.
    Posted by Kennedy97

Right now, the line between missing the playoffs and making a run is razor thin. The Flyers proved that 2 seasons ago.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

In Response to Re: Everyone in the East Getting Better...except for : Wishful thinking. As for Boston, they don't need to add. They keep the core of the team and they're YOUNG. Will they win the Cup again? Who knows...the NHL has an awful lot of parity. But they'll be one of the handful of teams with a true fighters chance.
    Posted by Kennedy97

Not wishful thinking. Just a smack at the habs for fun. It's a Bruin's board so that tends to happen from time to time. Cheers!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

In Response to Re: Everyone in the East Getting Better...except for : If you weren't a bandwagon jumper, you'd probably realize that 49-North is here to talk hockey. He raises a legitimate point. How do we know that Thomas can repeat what he did last year? And if he can't, how do we know that Rask is able to take charge again? I personally believe that the Bruins would be fine in either situation, but you never know.
    Posted by beantowngm15

Thanks, nice to see that someone can recognize a genuine hockey question.  My point is that teams need a lot of things to fall into place, at exactly the right time, to have a successful Cup run.  Was this an alignment of the planets for the Bruins?  A once-in-a-generation convergence zone?  Or can this team do it consistently?  Winning is tough.  Repeating is tougher.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Everyone in the East Getting Better...except for : Thanks, nice to see that someone can recognize a genuine hockey question.  My point is that teams need a lot of things to fall into place, at exactly the right time, to have a successful Cup run.  Was this an alignment of the planets for the Bruins?  A once-in-a-generation convergence zone?  Or can this team do it consistently?  Winning is tough.  Repeating is tougher.
    Posted by 49-North

What would the Canucks know about that? BTW, your question about Rask has been both answered and ignored so don't act like this sour grapes post is simply a genuine hockey question. I'll answer again so there's no confusion. Rask led the league in goals against and save percentage while TT took a break between Vezinas. Why should we expect him to not be up to task again?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinsforever. Show Bruinsforever's posts

Teams making noise on July 1st and just before trade deadline in February don't necessarily make noise when it really matters !!!

I want the B's to make noice on the ice from early October until mid-june.
    I think we have the team to do so again in 2011-2012

I like that PC doesn't throw away his money on UFA, like other GM do (maybe thay have no choice !)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from orr4neely8. Show orr4neely8's posts

Getting into your mother's pill box can lead to abnormal thinking:

(a) We won the cup already been said
    (b) Once we sign Marchand postive
    (c) Kaberle and Ryder gone positive
    (d) Corvo half the price same quality d man positive
    (e) Adding Poulit will keep the Prov. players honest and hungry
    (f) The slight possibility that Savard may come back next season priceless

Bruins starting line up next season:

Looch Krejci Horton
    Marchand Bergeron Peverly
    Kelly (Savard?) Seguin
    Paille Campbell Thornton Poulit Caron

Chara Siedenberg
    Corvo Boychuk
    Ference Mcquaid

Kampfer Bartowski Cohen Hamilton ?

Thomas (75% of gms.)
    Rask (25% of gms.)

"Equals similar team that won the cup"

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from carbonribs. Show carbonribs's posts

In Response to Re: Everyone in the East Getting Better...except for : If you weren't a bandwagon jumper, you'd probably realize that 49-North is here to talk hockey. He raises a legitimate point. How do we know that Thomas can repeat what he did last year? And if he can't, how do we know that Rask is able to take charge again? I personally believe that the Bruins would be fine in either situation, but you never know.
    Posted by beantowngm15

Its not fair to expect every season to be like the last one Tim Thomas had, because there are not many goalies who have ever even done that once, let alone multiple times. But it is also unfair to question the greatest goalie in the world, especially when this particular matter was brought up by a guy who's team lost the Cup in large part because of their goalie. He really can't talk about that matter and be taken seriously by many fans. Anyway, back to Thomas. Can't believe that fans are legit questioning him again. He doesn't deserve that at all. But the first bad game he has, boom, the haters will be out there. Heck, the season hasn't even started yet, and people are already questioning what he can do. Seriously, this man will never be rid of the doubters.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from beantowngm15. Show beantowngm15's posts

In Response to Re: Everyone in the East Getting Better...except for : Its not fair to expect every season to be like the last one Tim Thomas had, because there are not many goalies who have ever even done that once, let alone multiple times. But it is also unfair to question the greatest goalie in the world, especially when this particular matter was brought up by a guy who's team lost the Cup in large part because of their goalie. He really can't talk about that matter and be taken seriously by many fans. Anyway, back to Thomas. Can't believe that fans are legit questioning him again. He doesn't deserve that at all. But the first bad game he has, boom, the haters will be out there. Heck, the season hasn't even started yet, and people are already questioning what he can do. Seriously, this man will never be rid of the doubters.
    Posted by carbonribs

Good Lord. Did I ever say that I doubt Timmy? No, I did not. Look at my post again. I merely said that it is a legitimate possibility that he faulters. If you think otherwise, you're living in la la land wearing seriosuly black and gold colored glasses. I also said that I don't believe that Thomas will faulter. I merely said that it is a possibility. Next time, read the entire post before you jump on me like that.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbg1. Show dbg1's posts

First, it is pretty pathetic how some of you resort to attacks when someone raises an opinion.  One of you m0rons went as far as calling me a "fair weather fan." 

The point is; we lost Rider...who although he was dead weight in the regular season he always seemd to come up big in the playoffs.  And, lets face it...who gives one ratsa$$ about the regular season. 

So far, who has Rider been replaced with....drum roll...Piolout.  What was his contribution in the playoffs?  A  blind side hit on Ferrence!!

I agree that Rider was not worth that he was offered in Dallas...  but can't any of you seriously argue that the Bruins are better without him? 

As far as Kab....good ridence and Korvo is definatly an upgrade; of course that accusition came a few hours after my post.

What I am asking you is why all of a sudden are you content.  Sure we won the cup...should PC just take the next few years off?  I for one think we have are in a great position to repeat; but we didn't exactly walk all over every team we played.  If any of the 3 teams we faced in game 7s, get better and we don't then it is a different story.   

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from beantowngm15. Show beantowngm15's posts

First, it is pretty pathetic how some of you resort to attacks when someone raises an opinion.  One of you m0rons went as far as calling me a "fair weather fan."  The point is; we lost Rider...who although he was dead weight in the regular season he always seemd to come up big in the playoffs.  And, lets face it...who gives one ratsa$$ about the regular season.  So far, who has Rider been replaced with....drum roll...Piolout.  What was his contribution in the playoffs?  A  blind side hit on Ferrence!! I agree that Rider was not worth that he was offered in Dallas...  but can't any of you seriously argue that the Bruins are better without him?  As far as Kab....good ridence and Korvo is definatly an upgrade; of course that accusition came a few hours after my post. What I am asking you is why all of a sudden are you content.  Sure we won the cup...should PC just take the next few years off?  I for one think we have are in a great position to repeat; but we didn't exactly walk all over every team we played.  If any of the 3 teams we faced in game 7s, get better and we don't then it is a different story.   
    Posted by dbg1

You know you're a fairweather fan when you misspell every name of every player on the Bruins. And that's you. It's Ryder, not Rider. It's Corvo, not Korvo. And it's Kaberle. You probably shortened it to Kab cause you can't spell it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobforte2002. Show bobforte2002's posts

In Response to Everyone in the East Getting Better...except for:
    Looks like Philly, Rangers, and Sabers are all making moves to get better.  So far, boston is moving backwards.  We lost rider and have not done anything to get better.  Could it be that PC is complacent with where the team is now.  I for one think that we were just 1 unlucky bounce away from not making it to the SCF; we definatly need some new pices to get better.
    Posted by dbg1

You're not serious are you?  Whether Philly got better remains to be seen.  They traded away stars for "future stars" and overpaid for a good but not great goalie.  The Rangers way over paid for Richards and haven't made themselves exponentially better.  Buffalo made themselves better but they had no where to go but up and had to give up a lot in salary wise to improve their squad.  Buffalo still is not very deep as a team on either offense or defense.

The Bruins replaced Ryder with a much cheaper Polouit and Corvo for Kaberle. At the salary they are paying Poliout if he doesn't work out or they can't get him to turn around his game they aren't out much.  For what Ryder was making and his no shows for months on end in the regular season I'm not sure we did anything but get better or "even" with this swap out.  Corvo is no Scott Stevens but he's better defensively than Kaberle while still possessing good offensive upside to his game. With a one year contract at a reasonable price they can walk away from, this was a very good trade off.

People keep forgetting three things here. 

One,  The CBA expires next year and the Salary Cap will be coming down.

Two,  The Bruins have three RFAs (Krejci, Rask and Mcquaid) as well as six other UFAs (Peverly, Campbell, Kelly, Thorton, Paille and Boychuck) all up for contract after next year.  We clearly aren't going to keep all these guys but some of them are staying and of those who do you can guaranty some decent pay raises for some of them (for example Krejci and Rask).

Three,  The Bruins have what "appears" to be a number of good prospects in the pipeline on the verge of contributing.  By the 2012-2013 season you would think some of the prospects (Hamilton, Caron, Knight, Sponner, Koko, Sauve, Arniel, Kampfer, Bartowski, Warsofsky, Button, Alexndrov, Cross, Cohen, etc..) will either be ready to contribute to the Bruins at the NHL level or serve as trade bait to improve the team.

The Bruins Management and Ownership probably don't want to go another 40 years between Cups.  What they are doing this year is ensuring they are fielding a Cup competitive team for this up-coming seaons while also ensuring that there is enough pieces and money in place to continue to be Cup Competitive for several years running.

Buffalo and the Rangers have a long way to go to reach the Bruins level. Philly could be competitive but talent wise they got worse not forward not better.  Bryzgolov better show up.  Montreal didn't get any better.

Looking at just next year the only teams in the East that really worry me are Pittsburgh, Philly and Washington.  One of them, or the Bruins will win the East.

Go Bruins.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

losing ryder and kaberle is addition by subtraction...saved 4+mil on cap...the only negative is trading 2 firsts for a 4 month rental...but even that has an upside... we won the cup...   thanks TT

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

In Response to Everyone in the East Getting Better...except for:
    Looks like Philly, Rangers, and Sabers are all making moves to get better.  So far, boston is moving backwards.  We lost rider and have not done anything to get better.  Could it be that PC is complacent with where the team is now.  I for one think that we were just 1 unlucky bounce away from not making it to the SCF; we definatly need some new pices to get better.
    Posted by dbg1

??????  Corvo replaces Kaberle....Pouliot (25years old) 4th overall pick replaces Ryder....and we are not any better ????  HELLO ! ! !   Stop smoking that green stuff and start thinking ....???  Dude ! ! ! We're the Stanley Cup champs....! ! !
    Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In Response to Re: Everyone in the East Getting Better...except for : You know you're a fairweather fan when you misspell every name of every player on the Bruins. And that's you. It's Ryder, not Rider. It's Corvo, not Korvo. And it's Kaberle. You probably shortened it to Kab cause you can't spell it.
    Posted by beantowngm15

and Pouliot

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbg1. Show dbg1's posts

In Response to Re: Everyone in the East Getting Better...except for : You know you're a fairweather fan when you misspell every name of every player on the Bruins. And that's you. It's Ryder, not Rider. It's Corvo, not Korvo. And it's Kaberle. You probably shortened it to Kab cause you can't spell it.
    Posted by beantowngm15

beantown: What are you like a 17 yr old spelling nerd?  Please explain to me the correlation between spelling and being a fan....

ipot & Stanley...good points; but Pouliot has been a bust...despite being a 4th overall pick; he has only 2 points in 22 NHL playoff appearances.  Now consider that Ryder had 43 points in 70 playoff games.  So unless CJ has has some magic ferry dust, we did not improve by swapping Ryder for Pouliot. 

If you want to argue that Ryder was not worth what Dallas paid, I agree with you, but that is an entirely different argument.

Again, I still state that losing kabs was not that big of an issue. As far as Corvo, it is interesting to read the Carolina boards and they think that Kabs is a defiante defensive upgrade...I guess with a -14, I can understand their feeling.  But time will tell.

As to everyone else who's only argument here is "duh...we won the cup."  Well this conversation is not intended for people like you....I started it with the intent of having a meaningful discussion about how trades are helping teams in the east get better.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

Regardless of upgrades, this team is gonna have a terrible time repeating....and that ain't being negative.
    Over the past few years, any team that won it all....besides being pretty good....was incredibly lucky.
    One bad bounce...and the Bruins could have been gone in the first round.  Montreal arguably played better in the series overall.  That ain't being negative.
    With todays parity, a team has to be lucky in many, many ways to win the cup.  You have to be lucky enough to avoid big injuries to key players.  You have to get some good bounces in key situations.  Your goalie has to save your bacon several times throughout the playoffs.  You need to be lucky enough to win most of your o/t games.
    You can build a really good team...but you gotta be lucky.
    If one looks at the teams last 3 playoff appearances, it's easy to see several things...little things, that alone could have changed the story line immensely.

Anything written above does not suggest the B's backed into the championship.  It doesn't suggest they didn't earn it, cuz they certainly did.  Success/failure is a razor thin line, and at that level you need a little luck.
    If one accepts, and understands that, it makes following the team more fun.  It causes less knee jerk ridiculous thoughts.  It gives way to reasonable expectation, and most importantly suggests the win/hero, lose/bum mentality may be a bit too simplistic.

The path to the finals was arguably easier in both 10 and 09, however, everything that could go wrong did.  This year was magical.  The sequence of events this playoff season was unbelievable.

Good teams assume their competition will get better, so they plan on becoming better.

Who knows if they can repeat.  Personally I'm gonnna enjoy this one for a few months before I think much about that.

Would like to have seen Ryder especially stay, and Kaberle too.  When looking at what they got though, I'm glad PC didn't match.  Wish them both well.  With the money this team has left, they can easily find better deadline replacements if it appears they're needed.

All in all, I don't see why anyone wouldn't see the B's as potentially very tough next year.

Doesn't mean they'll win the cup, but sure suggests they got a shot at it.

Hate all those home games starting off the season.  There are so many positives to an early road trip, even if it  only  goes 50-50.  Bonds the team.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonbruins69. Show bostonbruins69's posts

First, it is pretty pathetic how some of you resort to attacks when someone raises an opinion.  One of you m0rons went as far as calling me a "fair weather fan."  The point is; we lost Rider...who although he was dead weight in the regular season he always seemd to come up big in the playoffs.  And, lets face it...who gives one ratsa$$ about the regular season.  So far, who has Rider been replaced with....drum roll...Piolout.  What was his contribution in the playoffs?  A  blind side hit on Ferrence!! I agree that Rider was not worth that he was offered in Dallas...  but can't any of you seriously argue that the Bruins are better without him?  As far as Kab....good ridence and Korvo is definatly an upgrade; of course that accusition came a few hours after my post. What I am asking you is why all of a sudden are you content.  Sure we won the cup...should PC just take the next few years off?  I for one think we have are in a great position to repeat; but we didn't exactly walk all over every team we played.  If any of the 3 teams we faced in game 7s, get better and we don't then it is a different story.   
    Posted by dbg1

Isn't it Ryder?  And for the record Bruins will be better this year than they were last!

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

In Response to Re: Everyone in the East Getting Better...except for : What would the Canucks know about that? BTW, your question about Rask has been both answered and ignored so don't act like this sour grapes post is simply a genuine hockey question. I'll answer again so there's no confusion. Rask led the league in goals against and save percentage while TT took a break between Vezinas. Why should we expect him to not be up to task again?
    Posted by dezaruchi

I don't recall the Bruins winning the Cup during Rask's one and only "great year".  So, like Luongo, he's a great regular season performer, but hasn't carried the load in the playoffs. 

It's not "sour grapes" -- it's a legitimate question, particularly since so many Bruins fans are already engraving the Bruins on the Cup for 2012.  I'm not questioning in any way Thomas' performance in the Cup run.  I'm wondering, as many of you would be too, if you sat back and thought objectively, if he, at age 37, can do it again.  And if not, can Rask do it in the playoffs as a legit Plan B?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

In Response to Re: Everyone in the East Getting Better...except for : beantown: What are you like a 17 yr old spelling nerd?  Please explain to me the correlation between spelling and being a fan.... ipot & Stanley...good points; but Pouliot has been a bust...despite being a 4th overall pick; he has only 2 points in 22 NHL playoff appearances.  Now consider that Ryder had 43 points in 70 playoff games.  So unless CJ has has some magic ferry dust, we did not improve by swapping Ryder for Pouliot.  If you want to argue that Ryder was not worth what Dallas paid, I agree with you, but that is an entirely different argument. Again, I still state that losing kabs was not that big of an issue. As far as Corvo, it is interesting to read the Carolina boards and they think that Kabs is a defiante defensive upgrade...I guess with a -14, I can understand their feeling.  But time will tell. As to everyone else who's only argument here is "duh...we won the cup."  Well this conversation is not intended for people like you....I started it with the intent of having a meaningful discussion about how trades are helping teams in the east get better.
    Posted by dbg1

You are absolutely correct that the B's cannot sit on their collective Laurels, or they won't be back in the finals. But, having said that, there are many ways to Win. 
    We have a few high level prospects that need a chance to show what they have. How can you really say what a guy has to offer until you put him in position to succeed, or hopefully not - fail? We all know the list of B's prospects, and who doesn't want to see them succeed, because home-grown talent is always the best. Usually cheaper, and more connected to the fans because they see them come up from the A or Junior, vs the trade deadline 'import'. 
    Also we've seen that PC can and does go out and get the necessary talent when it is time. 
    And lastly, there is always the Cap to consider, both this year and next. I think the core talent is pretty strong, and we should be looking at this as strength not a weakness.

Sections
Shortcuts