Everyone in the East Getting Better...except for

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

Re: Everyone in the East Getting Better...except for

In Response to Re: Everyone in the East Getting Better...except for:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Everyone in the East Getting Better...except for : I don't recall the Bruins winning the Cup during Rask's one and only "great year".  So, like Luongo, he's a great regular season performer, but hasn't carried the load in the playoffs.  It's not "sour grapes" -- it's a legitimate question, particularly since so many Bruins fans are already engraving the Bruins on the Cup for 2012.  I'm not questioning in any way Thomas' performance in the Cup run.  I'm wondering, as many of you would be too, if you sat back and thought objectively, if he, at age 37, can do it again.  And if not, can Rask do it in the playoffs as a legit Plan B?
    Posted by 49-North[/QUOTE]

I'll answer your question with another. Will the Sedin Sisters continue to play at their high level? Yes, it is perfectly reasonable to think they will. There is no reason to think any other way. They aren't that young anymore are they?

Having said that, A Big YES to the TT question. In my humble opinion, he has at least 2 more good years. Hopefully more. One of the biggest reasons is that the B's do not need to play him 78 games. They have an exceptional back-up, as do the 'Nucks. Also, TT never had a drop off at any point this year, unlike Luongo. Bobbi-Lou had some real average (insert BAD here) stretches this past season. He got pulled a few times in the playoffs, and didn't start for one of them. 

As for Rask, I'm pretty happy with him being ready to take over. I think he got tired last year against the Flyers, and that is why the B's lost (and missing their top 2 Centers). But he is a little older, and has been through some tough games, so the future looks bright.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Everyone in the East Getting Better...except for : I don't recall the Bruins winning the Cup during Rask's one and only "great year".  So, like Luongo, he's a great regular season performer, but hasn't carried the load in the playoffs.  It's not "sour grapes" -- it's a legitimate question, particularly since so many Bruins fans are already engraving the Bruins on the Cup for 2012.  I'm not questioning in any way Thomas' performance in the Cup run.  I'm wondering, as many of you would be too, if you sat back and thought objectively, if he, at age 37, can do it again.  And if not, can Rask do it in the playoffs as a legit Plan B?
    I don't recall your question being "can the Bruins win the cup again".
    www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=01199be39e07896d21902c3bbfab4f36&plckUserId=01199be39e07896d21902c3bbfab4f36">
    First: 5/28/2011
    Last: 7/6/2011
    I think the more pertinent question for Bruins fans is this:

Is Tim Thomas, at age 37, capable of putting together back-to-back Vezina quality, I'll-carry-the-team-on-my-back-to-the-Cup-Finals seasons?  If not, is Rask able to pick up the torch?

So again, your actual question has been answered multiple times. BTW, your sour grapes are showing.......

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Everyone in the East Getting Better...except for : I don't recall your question being "can the Bruins win the cup again". www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=01199be39e07896d21902c3bbfab4f36&plckUserId=01199be39e07896d21902c3bbfab4f36 " /> 49-North Posts: 176 First: 5/28/2011 Last: 7/6/2011 I think the more pertinent question for Bruins fans is this: Is Tim Thomas, at age 37, capable of putting together back-to-back Vezina quality, I'll-carry-the-team-on-my-back-to-the-Cup-Finals seasons?  If not, is Rask able to pick up the torch? So again, your actual question has been answered multiple times. BTW, your sour grapes are showing.......
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

Wow, gimme a break, pal... 

My team lost Gm 7 of the Cup Final.  I'm here trying to have a rational discussion about hockey, and all you can do is throw the "sour grapes" line in my face ad infinitum? 

Time to learn a new tune.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DallasSmith. Show DallasSmith's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Everyone in the East Getting Better...except for : What would the Canucks know about that? BTW, your question about Rask has been both answered and ignored so don't act like this sour grapes post is simply a genuine hockey question. I'll answer again so there's no confusion. Rask led the league in goals against and save percentage while TT took a break between Vezinas. Why should we expect him to not be up to task again?
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]
    I expect TT to be very good next year but not quite as good as he was this year.It may have been a ''career year'',he literally carried the team on his back and played better than any goalie I have seen.Rask didn't start playing well last year until about 3/4 of the way through .Next year is a big year for Rask and I obviously hope he plays well but am not entirely convinced he is a true no .1 goalie .  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Everyone in the East Getting Better...except for : I expect TT to be very good next year but not quite as good as he was this year.It may have been a ''career year'',he literally carried the team on his back and played better than any goalie I have seen.Rask didn't start playing well last year until about 3/4 of the way through .Next year is a big year for Rask and I obviously hope he plays well but am not entirely convinced he is a true no .1 goalie .  
    Posted by DallasSmith

That's the beauty Dallas. Rask isn't being asked to be a #1. He just needs to play well when TT needs some rest or is ailing. I was simply pointing out to our resident Canucks fan that Rask led the league in both major tending categories when TT had the bad hip. I have no fears of Boston's goaltending letting them down this year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Everyone in the East Getting Better...except for : Wow, gimme a break, pal...  My team lost Gm 7 of the Cup Final.  I'm here trying to have a rational discussion about hockey, and all you can do is throw the "sour grapes" line in my face ad infinitum?  Time to learn a new tune.
    Posted by 49-North

Rational discussion eh? You asked a question which basically inferred that TT was the only reason your team was beaten(I don't remember him scoring any of the 24 goals over the last 5 games) and that Boston was in trouble if he wasn't able to recapture the magic. Your question was answered and then you come back with "I don't remember the Bruins winning the Cup with Rask in net". You see, I don't remember that being part of your question so forgive me for having trouble recognizing the rational part of your discussion. What I'm noticing first and foremost is that even the Canucks fans have taken on the identity of their captain. His feelings are easily hurt too. Perhaps you should ask your question to a bunch of other Canucks fans. At least they'll likely give you the answer you're obviously looking for.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

In Response to Re: Everyone in the East Getting Better...except for : Rational discussion eh? You asked a question which basically inferred that TT was the only reason your team was beaten(I don't remember him scoring any of the 24 goals over the last 5 games) and that Boston was in trouble if he wasn't able to recapture the magic. Your question was answered and then you come back with "I don't remember the Bruins winning the Cup with Rask in net". You see, I don't remember that being part of your question so forgive me for having trouble recognizing the rational part of your discussion. What I'm noticing first and foremost is that even the Canucks fans have taken on the identity of their captain. His feelings are easily hurt too. Perhaps you should ask your question to a bunch of other Canucks fans. At least they'll likely give you the answer you're obviously looking for.
    Posted by dezaruchi

Uh, as I recall, he DID win the Conn Smythe, so a lot of people seem to agree with me that he was a pretty big factor in the series.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Everyone in the East Getting Better...except for : Uh, as I recall, he DID win the Conn Smythe, so a lot of people seem to agree with me that he was a pretty big factor in the series.
    Posted by 49-North

So there we have it. Your question wasn't an attempt at rational hockey discussion at all. It was just another attempt to downplay Boston's team effort in winning the series. Somehow trying to tell yourself that your team would've won if only TT hadn't had his unrepeatable career season. As I said, TT was awesome but he didn't score any goals. Your team was beaten. Deal with it. If you don't like listening to Bruins fans that are "basically engraving their name on the 2012 Cup already", I would think a Bruins site to be a strange place to hang out for "rational hockey discussion". How do you think Van will do next year(and beyond) with Luongo in goal, a weaker D, and a forward core that doesn't show up when the games get rough? There's a rational hockey question for you. How well received would that question be on a Nucks site? Forget it. Who cares?  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

In Response to Re: Everyone in the East Getting Better...except for : So there we have it. Your question wasn't an attempt at rational hockey discussion at all. It was just another attempt to downplay Boston's team effort in winning the series. Somehow trying to tell yourself that your team would've won if only TT hadn't had his unrepeatable career season. As I said, TT was awesome but he didn't score any goals. Your team was beaten. Deal with it. If you don't like listening to Bruins fans that are "basically engraving their name on the 2012 Cup already", I would think a Bruins site to be a strange place to hang out for "rational hockey discussion". How do you think Van will do next year(and beyond) with Luongo in goal, a weaker D, and a forward core that doesn't show up when the games get rough? There's a rational hockey question for you. How well received would that question be on a Nucks site? Forget it. Who cares?  
    Posted by dezaruchi

I've got faith in Gillis to address the issues that resulted in the team falling one game short of the Cup.  Winning 15 of the required 16 games must mean that the Canucks are doing something right, so a complete overhaul of the team isn't needed.  I also think it's rash to over-react to the Bruins Cup win, and construct a team specifically designed to beat the Bruins.  The Canucks didn't react well when the Bruins challenged them physically, and they didn't roll 4 lines as well as the Bruins did.  Also, I believe the Canucks were dealing with more injuries to key personnel than the Bruins were  So, in terms of lineup adjustments, I think Gillis is already working on that, by jettisoning most of the existing 4th line players, and will try to develop one that has speed and secondary scoring ability, to provide matchup difficulties.  I think they will try to emphasize a bit more size on defense, thus the choice of keeping Alberts, while allowing Ehrhoff to walk.  I'm not sure what the solution is with top line scoring -- I still maintain that the Sedins got their looks, it's just that the trio of Chara-Seidenberg and Thomas were very effective against them, and Kesler did not provide the boost in scoring that he did in the Nashville series, when Weber-Suter and Renne were also able to shut down the Sedins.

But, I don't know if you're interested in a discussion about the Canucks.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Everyone in the East Getting Better...except for : I've got faith in Gillis to address the issues that resulted in the team falling one game short of the Cup.  Winning 15 of the required 16 games must mean that the Canucks are doing something right, so a complete overhaul of the team isn't needed.  I also think it's rash to over-react to the Bruins Cup win, and construct a team specifically designed to beat the Bruins.  The Canucks didn't react well when the Bruins challenged them physically, and they didn't roll 4 lines as well as the Bruins did.  Also, I believe the Canucks were dealing with more injuries to key personnel than the Bruins were  So, in terms of lineup adjustments, I think Gillis is already working on that, by jettisoning most of the existing 4th line players, and will try to develop one that has speed and secondary scoring ability, to provide matchup difficulties.  I think they will try to emphasize a bit more size on defense, thus the choice of keeping Alberts, while allowing Ehrhoff to walk.  I'm not sure what the solution is with top line scoring -- I still maintain that the Sedins got their looks, it's just that the trio of Chara-Seidenberg and Thomas were very effective against them, and Kesler did not provide the boost in scoring that he did in the Nashville series, when Weber-Suter and Renne were also able to shut down the Sedins. But, I don't know if you're interested in a discussion about the Canucks.
    Posted by 49-North

Sure I am or I wouldn't have asked the question. Sorry I was so combative last night as I was drunk and just finished beating a transvestite. All is well now since I have shown remorse.........in all seriousnees, I agree in there being no need for a Canuck overhaul. A few tweeks of the lineup and a sports psychologist for Luongo should do wonders. I had picked the Nucks to win the west months before the playoffs started. There's a decent chance they could do it again. Cheers to you sir!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hardright. Show hardright's posts

Ryder was very good in the playoffs but you have to believe that, Stanley Cup or not, the B's were letting him walk this summer. They are likely figuring on Seguin stepping up to replace a good chunk of the offense Ryder gave them in 2011.

Kaberle? Not losing any sleep over that one. Played well in the finals, but overall he wasn't worth what they gave up to get him (but it was a deal that had to be made at the time).

I like the addition of Corvo, actually. The power play shouldn't be as bad with he and Chara manning the points.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bluefox70. Show bluefox70's posts

Yeah, The Stanley Cup champs with everyone returning but a lazy 3rd liner and a dman that was terrible are huge blows. Fire in the fact this team is extremely young and has Seguin (franchise player) coming along and they look like they are headed to the basement this year. Our core players are entering their prime, we had rookies last year who made huge returns and drank from the cup. Sure we need to add a piece or two but the playoffs don't start in July. 
    Posted by shuperman

Dude, You must be a relative of Seguin, cuz he didn't do a thing, but have one good offensive period.  He is no Franchise player.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Everyone in the East Getting Better...except for : Dude, You must be a relative of Seguin, cuz he didn't do a thing, but have one good offensive period.  He is no Franchise player.
    Posted by bluefox70

Really, because I remember him scoring a highlight reel goal and adding an assist in the game before his 4 point(record breaking) period. Trash him all you want because the record books say otherwise. 20 years from now that record will still likely matter. Can the same be said of your opinion?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from watchtower. Show watchtower's posts

In Response to Everyone in the East Getting Better...except for:
    Looks like Philly, Rangers, and Sabers are all making moves to get better.  So far, boston is moving backwards.  We lost rider and have not done anything to get better.  Could it be that PC is complacent with where the team is now.  I for one think that we were just 1 unlucky bounce away from not making it to the SCF; we definatly need some new pices to get better.
    Posted by dbg1

Help me out here. The flyers payed a ton of mony for their goalie, and the caps got Vocun for 1.5 mil? What was Holgrem thinking?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chef09. Show Chef09's posts

I think the more pertinent question for Bruins fans is this: Is Tim Thomas, at age 37, capable of putting together back-to-back Vezina quality, I'll-carry-the-team-on-my-back-to-the-Cup-Finals seasons?  If not, is Rask able to pick up the torch?
    Posted by 49-North

No I think a better question is : Will Luongo ever do it?! Get off this board you creepin' Canuck fan.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

In Response to Re: Everyone in the East Getting Better...except for : No I think a better question is : Will Luongo ever do it?! Get off this board you creepin' Canuck fan.
    Posted by Chef09

If you don't think that's a legitimate concern for a Bruins fan, then you don't follow much hockey.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chef09. Show Chef09's posts

Only Stanley is engraving the Bruins name on the next cup. The rest of us are just still too happy to care. One day you might feel like that -until then why don't you leave the second guessing the Bruins until the 2011/2012 season actually starts. You truly are creepin' me out the way you keep coming to this board to talk hockey with Bruins fans. Go away.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chef09. Show Chef09's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Everyone in the East Getting Better...except for : If you don't think that's a legitimate concern for a Bruins fan, then you don't follow much hockey.

I'm not concerened right now 'cause I'm too busy enjoying : the win, the summer, discussing things with Bruins fans- and being happy the Canucks lost. What I'm more concerened about right now is your mental health. Find some canucks friends to talk to and stop trying to pee in The Stanley Cup that is visiting Bruins homes around the globe.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from DallasSmith. Show DallasSmith's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Everyone in the East Getting Better...except for : If you don't think that's a legitimate concern for a Bruins fan, then you don't follow much hockey.
    Of course it's a concern but perhaps an overrated one.TT is obviously a late bloomer but I think he can play very well next year.He actually got stronger as the playoffs moved on .I hope Rask can play more games this year .One of the reasons TT was effective in the playoffs was because he was fresh as he alternated with Rask for about the last month or so of the regular season .It's a make or break year for Rask next year ,he really has to prove his worth if the Bruins are going to go forward with him as the no.1 say two years from now .TT may actually have two more great years in him and then another two as a backup.I don't think the B's goaltending is going to be an issue ,short term .I only hope the B's are contenders next year as the playoffs start .Who knows they may be riddled with injuries ,meet a hot goalie and be bounced in the first round ,anything is possible .That's why I am savoring this Cup win !!Laughing 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Everyone in the East Getting Better...except for : Of course it's a concern but perhaps an overrated one.TT is obviously a late bloomer but I think he can play very well next year.He actually got stronger as the playoffs moved on .I hope Rask can play more games this year .One of the reasons TT was effective in the playoffs was because he was fresh as he alternated with Rask for about the last month or so of the regular season .It's a make or break year for Rask next year ,he really has to prove his worth if the Bruins are going to go forward with him as the no.1 say two years from now .TT may actually have two more great years in him and then another two as a backup.I don't think the B's goaltending is going to be an issue ,short term .I only hope the B's are contenders next year as the playoffs start .Who knows they may be riddled with injuries ,meet a hot goalie and be bounced in the first round ,anything is possible .That's why I am savoring this Cup win !!  
    Posted by DallasSmith[/QUOTE]

TT started 8 of the last 11 regular season games.  He played all of the playoff games.  I would say that indicates his play improves when he plays a lot. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Everyone in the East Getting Better...except for : Seriously? A Vancouver fan questioning Boston's goaltending! Thanks. That really made me laugh.
    Posted by Bruinfaninnewjersey[/QUOTE]

Dam you beat me to it! Nicely put Bruin! I don't get why this guy continues to talk a negative tone about the B's; where he cheers for a team that NEEDS LOTS of fixing!! Like maybe a real bonafide #1  goallie that doesn't choke under pressure!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

It's a phantom concern though.  A "what if?" concern.  What if Thomas doesn't play well again?  
    What if Chara ends up battling a shoulder injury all season?  What if Marchand does something stupid while drunk and spends next season in jail?  "What if" can be fun to play, but it really doesn't have any meaning.  All we can do is wait and watch the games and see what happens.  They've got Thomas who has played well in the past, and they've got Rask who has played well in the past.  Let's see if they can do it again.  There really isn't any point to trying to make more of it than that.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Everyone in the East Getting Better...except for:[QUOTE]In Response to Everyone in the East Getting Better...except for : Help me out here. The flyers payed a ton of mony for their goalie, and the caps got Vocun for 1.5 mil? What was Holgrem thinking? Posted by watchtower[/QUOTE]

http://www.capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=24

And after signing Simmonds then reconstructing Talbot's deal Holmgren now has 1.67M under the cap so the Flyers can't afford any injuries...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Everyone in the East Getting Better...except for : Of course it's a concern but perhaps an overrated one.TT is obviously a late bloomer but I think he can play very well next year.He actually got stronger as the playoffs moved on .I hope Rask can play more games this year .

It's a make or break year for Rask next year ,he really has to prove his worth if the Bruins are going to go forward with him as the no.1 say two years from now .  
    Posted by DallasSmith[/QUOTE]

How can you say TT is a late bloomer and then in the next sentence say its a make or break year for Rask?  Rask has to prove himself by his mid 20's?  He's not allowed to be a "late-bloomer?"  Rask led the NHL in GAA and save % in the one year he was the starting goaltender.  He fell back some this year, mainly due to lack of playing time, which wasn't anybody's fault.

The Bruins have to continue to ride the wave of Thomas' hot play as long as it lasts and as long as he's healthy.  Thats too bad for Rask, but he's pretty young.  Most goalies in the NHL when they make an early splash still need to tough out that period of time that the NHL seems to get used to them, and the best goalies do come into their own a little later in age.

I think the make or break for Rask comes in the next off season when he decides if he is going to be the starter in Boston sooner rather than later and thinks about playing somewhere else.  He's going to have to do whats best for him, and the team may also have to deal him for their best interests as well. But I dont think Rask's career hangs in the balance based on how he plays next year, especially if he's a backup again.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Rask is the next Plante, but I think if the B's decide Rask's worth to the organization as a future #1 based on 25 games next year, that would be a mistake.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Everyone in the East Getting Better...except for : Only Stanley is engraving the Bruins name on the next cup. The rest of us are just still too happy to care. One day you might feel like that -until then why don't you leave the second guessing the Bruins until the 2011/2012 season actually starts. You truly are creepin' me out the way you keep coming to this board to talk hockey with Bruins fans. Go away.
    Posted by Chef09[/QUOTE]

A) I didn't realize that Bruins fans (not all of them, maybe just you) were so easily scared.

B) Who died and made you "King of the Boston.com Forum"?  Isn't Freedom of Speech guaranteed by the Constitution?  If you don't want to see what I'm contributing to the discussion, just hit "ignore".