Evgeni Malkin, Sergei Gonchar ink KHL deals

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Evgeni Malkin, Sergei Gonchar ink KHL deals

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/story/2012/09/16/sp-nhl-khl-evgeni-malkin-sergei-gonchar.html?cmp=rss

National Hockey League players Evgeni Malkin and Sergei Gonchar have signed with KHL side Metallurg after the NHL imposed a lockout of its players. Metallurg, based in the Russian industrial city of Magnitogorsk, said in a statement Sunday that it signed the two Russian players through the end of the 2012-13 season.

Although the club provided no further detail of their contracts, it said that they would comply with KHL regulations on signing NHL players during the lockout. Under these rules, KHL teams can sign a maximum of three NHL players above their limit of 25. The KHL also sets the ceiling for the salaries of NHL players at a maximum of 65 per cent of what they earn under their NHL deals. Malkin has two years and $16.5 million US remaining on his deal with Pittsburgh. Ottawa's Gonchar has one year and $5.5 million left.

Didn't know that about a max on KHL deals for NHL palyers under contract.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Re: Evgeni Malkin, Sergei Gonchar ink KHL deals

If I'm Ray Shero, I don't like this.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

a) GMs and coaches of NHL teams must hate this

b) Takes jobs away from hard-working players in the NHL

c) Soooooo....65% is ok but negotiating a scaleback of your multi-million $$ contract in the NHL is sacreligious?

d) Can't wait until someone gets injured

e) Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to asmaha's comment:

a) GMs and coaches of NHL teams must hate this

b) Takes jobs away from hard-working players in the NHL

c) Soooooo....65% is ok but negotiating a scaleback of your multi-million $$ contract in the NHL is sacreligious?

d) Can't wait until someone gets injured

e) Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

65% in the KHL is still as much as they'd get in the NHL with the lack of income tax taken into account.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

Also, Malkin was quoted as saying Crosby would be joining him in the not so distant future. Crosby then confirmed himself that he would strongly consider going over if things don't start happening in the CBA talks.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Love the solidarity between players and PA. 

How fast some are to jump ship and take a paycheck somewhere else even if it means taking jobs away from those other players across the ocean. They're the first to complain on how the owners are greedy and selfish but the players are not in it for themselves,  right ?

Cry me a river.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

If I am Russian born and had a chance to stay in shape, collect a hefty income tax free paycheck plus play in front of family and friends I would do it. Gonchar probably doesn't play after his Ottawa contract is up so he wants suit up for a little while longer. You could also throw in that any player that goes n plays over seas doesn't want to sit around until the dust is settled.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from skater68. Show skater68's posts

This is exactly what the players need to be doing to even the playing field against the greedy owners.

The owners could have stayed with the present contract and everyone would make money

I would like to see all the NHL players have a reasonable outlet for their skills and earn some money

Sections
Shortcuts