Expansion to Vegas a Done Deal?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Expansion to Vegas a Done Deal?

As per Sportsnet:

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman has said publicly that expansion isn’t something the league has seriously considered, but a recent report says otherwise.

According to The Vancouver Province’s Tony Gallagher, an expansion team in Las Vegas is “a done deal.”

“Sources close to the situation have indicated Las Vegas is a done deal, the only thing to be determined being which owner will be entitled to proclaim that he brought the first major league sports franchise to Sin City.”

With a team in Las Vegas “all but assured,” Gallagher also implies that talk of a Seattle expansion isn’t without merit as many potential owners – including Vancouver billionaire Victor Coleman – have shown plenty of interest.

The biggest obstacle facing Seattle is the lack of an NHL-calibre arena, as Bettman explained on Sportsnet 590 The Fan in June is that “the building situation is very unsettled and frankly if there was no reasonable prospect of a building coming anytime soon.”

The addition of two teams in the Western Conference would pull it even with the 16-team Eastern Conference. However, Gallagher indicates the NHL could expand beyond only two teams, mentioning Quebec City and Kansas City.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Re: Expansion to Vegas a Done Deal?

I know the NHL needs to even up the conferences, but my only hope for a team is in Quebec. I truly hope they don't expand past 32 though. It's going to end up watered down & then you're going to end up seeing another "deadpuck era"

"Why is a puck called a puck? Because Dirty little bastar d was taken!"- Marty Brodeur

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Which arena is closest to completion ?

I know there would be plenty of backers in Vegas. But what about Quebec ? Which investors are in place ?

Id rather it be Quebec 1st. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

There is a lot of clammering for an NHL team here in Seattle. Gretzky even visited in Bellevue with an owner who is proposing a competitive offer to the stadium they want to build in downtown. That owner only was interested in hockey. The Seattle ownership team wants basketball to return to Seattle and that is the hold up. He cannot find a NBA team. It has to be part of the deal for the stadium. The stadium location has already been approved. With the success of the Seattle Sounders pro sports is becoming big business here in Seattle. The two WHL teams here do very well. The Silvertips and the Thunderbird games are sold out. Youth hockey is on the rise but still smaller than the smallest New England town's C team. But it is getting there. Every organization claims Oshee played hockey for them and they were a part of his development just to attract kids. The kids and talent are not nearly where it needs to be but they still buy NHL tickets the same as anywhere else in the country. Many people have to drive to Vancouver to see a game. It is not easy. This town is ripe for hockey. Seattle is busting at the seams for a new Pro team really whatever the sport is. Especially after winning the super bowl. It did not hurt the Mariners to pick up Cano. I am only telling you what I see here. My only prayer is I will get to see my beloved Bruins two times a year. I think that is why the sports team do well is all the transplants. I only go see the Mariners when the Red Sox are here and I go see the Revolution play the Sounders. Although as good a job as the Sounders do to entertain and with Clint Dempsy it is hard not to be a little bit of a Sounders fan. But you have to admit Revs picking up Jones is AWESOME> The Seahawks winning the Superbowl sucked because all I heard was how much better they are then the Patriots all summer long. I did not like that. Patriots get your stuff together and shut these folks up. I have four kids so flying back to Boston and home often is impossible. So anytime I get a little bit of Boston in Seattle I would gladly take it so I really hope we are next for the NHL team and would someone send me a piece of Reginas as well...I a dying over here. 

Bobby Orr, Ray Bourque, Patrice Bergeron traditions die hard in Boston

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

http://www.si.com/nhl/2014/08/26/report-toronto-seattle-quebec-city-join-vegas-2017-nhl-expansion" rel="nofollow">http://www.si.com/nhl/2014/08/26/report-toronto-seattle-quebec-city-join-vegas-2017-nhl-expansion

A second team in Toronto?? I can't think that the MLSE group would stand for that. It's like the Sox OK'ing an NL team in Boston. It infringes upon their godly ordained right to print money.

I also think its dumb they will try and fit the square peg that is Vegas into the round hole that is the NHL.

By all means, teams should be in Seattle and Q City. I'd vote for Milwaukee over either a second Toronto team or a team in Vegas.

----proud member of the ZTT taskforce-----

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to seobrien's comment:
    [QUOTE]

A second team in Toronto?? I can't think that the MLSE group would stand for that. It's like the Sox OK'ing an NL team in Boston. It infringes upon their godly ordained right to print money.

----proud member of the ZTT taskforce-----

[/QUOTE]

They might put up a stink for the media's sake and maybe to extract a bigger "allowance" fee, but regardless if the NHL put another team or two teams for that matter in Ontario, the Lerfs would be sold out from now until eternity and would still sell the vast majority of merchandise and whatnot. Believe me,only the "Ghost of Harold Ballard" knows why,but there are enough leaf fans willing to buy tix to fill 2 arena's on game nights in the GTA, so their protestations wouldn't last long.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Sorry but the game of hockey in NA is specialized . I am against the media attention on the NHL from the cheap and tawdry impulses. Money is fine but the game will change to the Lost  Wages honkky tonk nature and depraved ethos aura with this expansion effort.  Atlanta anyone !!!  Can the NHL expand the game to Saskatoon or some other haven for cheap bucks . At least there the game will be fully appreciated. I would take Quebec!!!! 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

I agree with Quebec...miss the Nords.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49thparallel. Show 49thparallel's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

I know there would be plenty of backers in Vegas. But what about Quebec ? Which investors are in place ?

Id rather it be Quebec 1st. 

I think the Quebec arena is closest. Vegas just broke ground. Nothing new in Toronto. Markham decided against an arena. So a 2nd team would have to rent the ACC, which would make MLSE another fortune. Think Clippers/Fakers.
    But Seattle makes the most sense, then Quebec.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from fanonymost. Show fanonymost's posts

please let the answer be NO ... I think that contraction and some relocation would be a better change along with an increased salary cap and expansion of the active roster to 25 players

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I know the NHL needs to even up the conferences, but my only hope for a team is in Quebec. I truly hope they don't expand past 32 though. It's going to end up watered down & then you're going to end up seeing another "deadpuck era"

[/QUOTE]

With more teams, the defense and goalies will be a bit worse.  I think that leads to more scoring.  I'd love to see a return to the high flying days of the 80's.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to 49thparallel's comment:[QUOTE]

Id rather it be Quebec 1st. [/QUOTE]

I think the Quebec arena is closest. Vegas just broke ground. Nothing new in Toronto. Markham decided against an arena. So a 2nd team would have to rent the ACC, which would make MLSE another fortune.

Think Clippers/Fakers.

But Seattle makes the most sense, then Quebec. [/QUOTE]

I love taunting Faker fans that the Kobe era is ovah and that the LaLa's will never catch the Cetics for the most NBA titles.

EVIL UNDER THE SUN!!!

Seattle has Key arena in place, as I remember, they don't have the suites and that is why the Sonics left or at least that was the excuse. Big tech Billionaire money up in the PAC NW.

I say the NHL BOD goes for Quebec. Midget Bettman won't get booed as much at the Cup presentation.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitch19. Show nitch19's posts

Bettman is such a joke.  Didn't learn his lesson from expanding way too soon and way too quickly in the 90's into non-traditional hockey markets.  So let's try again in Vegas.  

I tell ya, when it's all said and done, who goes down as the worst commissioner ever, Bettman or Emperor Goodell? 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49thparallel. Show 49thparallel's posts

I thought somebody would pick up on the Fakers reference. They are done for a long time let's  hope.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

With more teams, the defense and goalies will be a bit worse.  I think that leads to more scoring.  I'd love to see a return to the high flying days of the 80's.  

[/QUOTE]

Here here.