Experimental rule changes

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Experimental rule changes

http://www.torontosun.com/2011/08/02/nhl-set-to-experiment-with-some-rule-changes

Changing the red line rule back to what it once was would be going backwards. Leave it alone. Same with the trapezoid which limits the goalie from firing the puck right back out. These two would decrease offence IMO.

I like the thought of having the officials wearing headsets. More communication might mean less blown calls (or maybe not).

Picking out a player to take the faceoff after a center is thrown out seems like something from the schoolyard but  it might make the original center think twice about cheating at the draw if a defenceman ( or someone who isn't very good at draws ) has to take a faceoff . I'm undecided on this one. But I would like them to see them clean up all the cheating going on during the faceoffs.

Changes to when a team can change lines I could live with along with hand passes and hybrid icing. The 4 on 4 graduating to a 2 on 2 is not something I want to see. Pond hockey !

The bearhug rule might help prevent injuries but when do you allow the player to start doing this ? 5 feet from the boards ? 10 ? It seems like there would be a grey area on when this could start and how is the defenceman supposed to play the puck when someone has arms tied up and when do they let go ?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Re: Experimental rule changes

Most of those rules seem horrible to me.. The trapaziod change I would be ok with eliminating, the arguement is that it wold protect players running down icing.. 

No changes for an offsides though? No changes except on a fly?  Why this hurry to speed the game up, a game takes 2:30 hours, this isnt baseball, theres no problem with the speed of play..

The bearhug rule, how about you just don't hit a guy who is vounerable, and the leg shows players some old school videos of guys protecting themselves along the boards..

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CarolinaClamMan. Show CarolinaClamMan's posts

When they got rid of the two line pass rule, the game opened up and got better.  Surprised they would even consider going back to the old way, which encouraged trap and center zone tight play rather than open speed and break.

We want fewer whistles, not more.

Offsides are not done on purpose, are usually the result of missed timing or an extra move by the puck carrier.   Why penalize the team that does it by allowing no changes?  

Wierd ideas

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

Why don't they just leave the game alone already!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

In Response to Re: Experimental rule changes:
    When they got rid of the two line pass rule, the game opened up and got better.  Surprised they would even consider going back to the old way, which encouraged trap and center zone tight play rather than open speed and break. We want fewer whistles, not more. Offsides are not done on purpose, are usually the result of missed timing or an extra move by the puck carrier.   Why penalize the team that does it by allowing no changes?   Wierd ideas
    Posted by CarolinaClamMan

Totally agree the elimination of the 2-line pass rule has been the best change...going back would be just stupid.

Another change for the better (I think it's been un-official, just something the league told refs to do, not in the rule book to my knowledge) is never blowing the whistle when the puck gets tied up in the boards in players' skates. That used to be--back in the day--an automatic whistle after just a few seconds of a scrum and it really slowed down the game. Now the refs tell the guys to move it, and even if it takes 20-30 seconds, eventually the puck comes loose and play goes on.

The trapezoid rule seems fine w./me, and really, I think the only things I'd like to see change are

1) A serious crackdown on illegal hits to the head a la Savard, Crosby, etc., with HUGE LENGTHY game suspensions and fines for guilty players and

2) Extending the 4 on 4 OT period to 10 minutes and doing away w/the shootout altogether.

The SO takes at least 5 minutes anyway so the game wouldn't be much longer and the likelihood of a goal being scored 4 0n 4 w/10 mins. instead of just 5 is much higher.

SO's are ridiculous and are no way to decide games (unless you want to turn hockey into soccer.)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"I like the thought of having the officials wearing headsets. More communication might mean less blown calls (or maybe not)."

I like this as well it gives linesman the opportunity to confirm penalties behind the play. If experimental it could keep players like Ott, Avery, Cooke, Carcillo etc. cleaner from pulling shiite when the refs aren't looking.

"2) Extending the 4 on 4 OT period to 10 minutes and doing away w/the shootout altogether."

I would add an idea of 3 on 3 the last 3 minutes of that 10 minutes so there wouldn't have to be a shootout.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from logeseats. Show logeseats's posts

The cheating on faceoffs drives me nuts. Ref's/the league not enforcing is infuriating too. I get sick of ref's tossing guys out and then the usual complaining. TV really focused on players trying to get an advantage during draws and many times the ref's let them get away with it. It is way to inconsistent and random on when they enforce and when they don't. How about the league instructs the ref's to make each player get their feet set where they are supposed and put their sticks down at a complete stop...then drop the puck. Give them a delay of game penalty if they keep trying to cheat. Same thing on wingers entering the circle before the puck drops. It's like the players don't knwo when the ref's will or won't drop the puck. Just make it consistent and enforce it and they will all learn and we wont have to suffer through guys getting tossed. Sorry for the rant. This was just something that bugged me all year long.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Crosby didn't take an illegal hit to the head..

And I dont want to see OT get gimmicky.. I would actually prefer for it to remain 5 on 5, play 2 5 minute periods or something and call it a tie.. I don't like that its a completely different system then we have in the play offs.. I think its the only sport that has a different OT rule for the regular season then it does for play offs..

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

Crosby didn't take an illegal hit to the head.. And I dont want to see OT get gimmicky.. I would actually prefer for it to remain 5 on 5, play 2 5 minute periods or something and call it a tie.. I don't like that its a completely different system then we have in the play offs.. I think its the only sport that has a different OT rule for the regular season then it does for play offs..
    Posted by rolerhoky19

Agree to disagree on the point of OT, Roler.
    4 on 4 is actually very exciting hockey--opens the ice and since it's part of the game in regulation on certain penalties it's not really "gimmicky". If you do 5 on 5 for two 5 minute periods it'll take too long plus you;re still not likely to get a game-deciding goal...a lot of teams will just play for the tie and the points, and that's harder for them to do 4 on 4.

As for the Crosby hit, no I guess it wasn't technically illegal, but my point is that the refs should have far greater discretion on what theu deem an intent to injure hit, whether it is a clear blow to the head or not.

SOMETHING has to be done to recuce the # of concussions the league saw last year, and having stars like Savard and Crosby get potentially career-ending injuries doesn;'t help the league or the game at all.

If you impose serious, 30-game type suspensions on guys and massive fines (still a pittance to most of their salaries, I know) it would make a lot of players like Cooke think twice about what they do on the ice--to the extent of course that a guy like Cooke can think at all.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

"I like the thought of having the officials wearing headsets. More communication might mean less blown calls (or maybe not)." I like this as well it gives linesman the opportunity to confirm penalties behind the play. If experimental it could keep players like Ott, Avery, Cooke, Carcillo etc. cleaner from pulling shiite when the refs aren't looking. "2) Extending the 4 on 4 OT period to 10 minutes and doing away w/the shootout altogether." I would add an idea of 3 on 3 the last 3 minutes of that 10 minutes so there wouldn't have to be a shootout.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

Nice! All for it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re:Experimental rule changes : If you impose serious, 30-game type suspensions on guys and massive fines (still a pittance to most of their salaries, I know) it would make a lot of players like Cooke think twice about what they do on the ice--to the extent of course that a guy like Cooke can think at all.Posted by TryToBearIt

They could name it the "Dale Hunter Foul"...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuturmouthwhenimtalkingtoyou. Show shuturmouthwhenimtalkingtoyou's posts

2) Extending the 4 on 4 OT period to 10 minutes and doing away w/the shootout altogether. The SO takes at least 5 minutes anyway so the game wouldn't be much longer and the likelihood of a goal being scored 4 0n 4 w/10 mins. instead of just 5 is much higher. SO's are ridiculous and are no way to decide games (unless you want to turn hockey into soccer.)
    Posted by TryToBearIt

Regular season games barely matter and shootouts are a reasonable way to eliminate ties, IMO. I would suggest they speed it up though. Have one whole team go one after another and then the other team goes as long as necessary, or if alternating is preferred, at least alternate with a 15-second shot clock.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuturmouthwhenimtalkingtoyou. Show shuturmouthwhenimtalkingtoyou's posts

The cheating on faceoffs drives me nuts. Ref's/the league not enforcing is infuriating too. I get sick of ref's tossing guys out and then the usual complaining. TV really focused on players trying to get an advantage during draws and many times the ref's let them get away with it. It is way to inconsistent and random on when they enforce and when they don't. How about the league instructs the ref's to make each player get their feet set where they are supposed and put their sticks down at a complete stop...then drop the puck. Give them a delay of game penalty if they keep trying to cheat. Same thing on wingers entering the circle before the puck drops. It's like the players don't knwo when the ref's will or won't drop the puck. Just make it consistent and enforce it and they will all learn and we wont have to suffer through guys getting tossed. Sorry for the rant. This was just something that bugged me all year long.
    Posted by logeseats

drop-less faceoffs eliminate some of those issues but I still hate the idea as much as I hate the idea of no-touch icing. it's way too artificial.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuturmouthwhenimtalkingtoyou. Show shuturmouthwhenimtalkingtoyou's posts

Crosby didn't take an illegal hit to the head.. And I dont want to see OT get gimmicky.. I would actually prefer for it to remain 5 on 5, play 2 5 minute periods or something and call it a tie.. I don't like that its a completely different system then we have in the play offs.. I think its the only sport that has a different OT rule for the regular season then it does for play offs..
    Posted by rolerhoky19

even allowing ties is a "different rule for regular season vs. playoffs". just saying. also, ties suck and belong only in soccer, along with diving and crying. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

In Response to Re: Experimental rule changes : even allowing ties is a "different rule for regular season vs. playoffs". just saying. also, ties suck and belong only in soccer, along with diving and crying. 
    Posted by shuturmouthwhenimtalkingtoyou

You know ties were part of the game for a long time?? Only changed to add the SO in hopes of drawing new fans to the game.. 

I would love to see all games go into sudden death ot and play thill they are over, but thats to much in an 82 games season

And I disagree that too many teams would play for the tie.. You keep the rule as is, you lose in OT you get a point, if you win you get the second point, puts a real emphasis on winning the game..

Currently most teams play to not make a mistake in OT, and take their chances in the shoot out..

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

In Response to Re: Experimental rule changes : You know ties were part of the game for a long time?? Only changed to add the SO in hopes of drawing new fans to the game..   I would love to see all games go into sudden death ot and play thill they are over, but thats to much in an 82 games season And I disagree that too many teams would play for the tie.. You keep the rule as is, you lose in OT you get a point, if you win you get the second point, puts a real emphasis on winning the game.. Currently most teams play to not make a mistake in OT, and take their chances in the shoot out..
    Posted by rolerhoky19

The Rangers are the worst for this! Even though 2 seasons ago it came back to bite them!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

In Response to Re: Experimental rule changes : The Rangers are the worst for this! Even though 2 seasons ago it came back to bite them!
    Posted by nitemare-38

The bruins are horrible for doing this, going as far to state they are going to win 5 on 5, and their ot record meant little come the playoffs..

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

"I like the thought of having the officials wearing headsets. More communication might mean less blown calls (or maybe not)." I like this as well it gives linesman the opportunity to confirm penalties behind the play. If experimental it could keep players like Ott, Avery, Cooke, Carcillo etc. cleaner from pulling shiite when the refs aren't looking. "2) Extending the 4 on 4 OT period to 10 minutes and doing away w/the shootout altogether." I would add an idea of 3 on 3 the last 3 minutes of that 10 minutes so there wouldn't have to be a shootout.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

I mentioned something very similar to Boomer about 3 seasons ago & he called  me a maniac!! Cry lol

I do like this idea though.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

Posted by rolerhoky19

Sorry Roller; but what you pay to see a game & what you spend at the game. I think we deserve to see a WINNER before we leave! Ties suk & I hope now that they're gone; they never come back.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

In Response to Re: Experimental rule changes : Sorry Roller; but what you pay to see a game & what you spend at the game. I think we deserve to see a WINNER before we leave! Ties suk & I hope now that they're gone; they never come back.
    Posted by nitemare-38

I'd argue that point with..

Let teams go to OT securing a point, and winning the second point, do away with the shoot out, and allow games to end in a tie..If there is no penalty for losing in OT why not go for it??

The fact is hockey is a team game, a systems game etc, the shoot out is individual talent, and is completely detached from the game itself, there is a reason the bruins have been particularly bad at it.. Which bewilders me that they play do tenatively in ot...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

In Response to Experimental rule changes:
    http://www.torontosun.com/2011/08/02/nhl-set-to-experiment-with-some-rule-changes Changing the red line rule back to what it once was would be going backwards. Leave it alone. Same with the trapezoid which limits the goalie from firing the puck right back out. These two would decrease offence IMO. I like the thought of having the officials wearing headsets. More communication might mean less blown calls (or maybe not). Picking out a player to take the faceoff after a center is thrown out seems like something from the schoolyard but  it might make the original center think twice about cheating at the draw if a defenceman ( or someone who isn't very good at draws ) has to take a faceoff . I'm undecided on this one. But I would like them to see them clean up all the cheating going on during the faceoffs. Changes to when a team can change lines I could live with along with hand passes and hybrid icing. The 4 on 4 graduating to a 2 on 2 is not something I want to see. Pond hockey ! The bearhug rule might help prevent injuries but when do you allow the player to start doing this ? 5 feet from the boards ? 10 ? It seems like there would be a grey area on when this could start and how is the defenceman supposed to play the puck when someone has arms tied up and when do they let go ?
    Posted by Chowdahkid-

They didn't go for the one that I liked the most. Teams that are getting a delayed penalty must clear the puck out of the zone; or the goalie must freeze it. Clearing over the glass is not considered out of the zone. That would be still another penalty added. The team that's getting the penalty must clear the zone completely. It's not just gaining control!

Hate the bring the red line back rule. I like the idea of a bearhug rule; but it's pretty hard to put a marker as to when to grab & not to grab.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: Experimental rule changes : Sorry Roller; but what you pay to see a game & what you spend at the game. I think we deserve to see a WINNER before we leave! Ties suk & I hope now that they're gone; they never come back.
    Posted by nitemare-38

I agree totally on this one. Hated ties and was always disappointed in watching a game and not seeing a winner.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I think they should eliminate the shootout.  Play ten minutes at 4 on 4.  If there is no winner, there is no extra point.  Shootouts are for international glitz, not NHL hockey.

More importantly:  No touch icing is imperative.  Far too much risk and way too many serious injuries. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from UCONN. Show UCONN's posts

I'd love to see them enforce the diving/flop rule, although I think these calls are better made by an off ice official either during the game or reviewed by the NHL afterwards. Nothing pisses me off more than a flopper in any sport and it seems like they are becoming more prevalant in NHL in the past few years. A few suspensions (too harsh? maybe / maybe not) or stiff penalties and I think diving would be a thing of the past.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

I think they should eliminate the shootout.  Play ten minutes at 4 on 4.  If there is no winner, there is no extra point.  Shootouts are for international glitz, not NHL hockey. More importantly:  No touch icing is imperative.  Far too much risk and way too many serious injuries. 
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Yup totally agree!  Shootouts are not hockey. NAS your suggestion is not fan friendly even though I like the premise.  Certainly teams would rather have points than no points! 

In addition, the trapzoid is not hockey either, while we are at it make the goalie stay in his net by saying if he freezes the puck out of the crease then he is off limits, otherwise he can be checked or hit!!!!!!  The red line is a joke and old "new" rule that was outdated.  I'd rather have a one referee system with the other in the booth to communicate on plays.... less is better on the ice surface.  The hand pass was miscalled for years, it became an automatic call even if accidental. The delay of game call should be a referee call not automatic btw.  Why did they not talk about the third man in penalty, which is simply not called!  Lastly since I am on the subject, automatic icing is for large ice surfaces!  I feel better now... now back to NHL "Canon Law", where dumb rules last for decades. 

Sections
Shortcuts