Expiring Contract: Who Stays?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Expiring Contract: Who Stays?

Pouliot, Kelly, Paille, Campbell, Rolston, Zanon, Motteau, Corvo, and Rask.

Who is worth keeping?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Re: Expiring Contract: Who Stays?

I am thinking that all except for Rask can move on. Good luck to you all.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Either Kelly or Campbell, and of course Rask. I don't mind Zanon coming back as a 7th D-man.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Keep Kelly, Paille, and maybe Campbell

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

As long as Zanon stays a 7th D man I agree Biss. The problem is that he is coming off a $2.1 million per year contract which is very expensive for a spare part. Especially since Krecji, Peverely, Thornton, Boychuk, and McQuaid are getting substantial raises next year.

http://nhlnumbers.com/teams/BOS?year=2012

Then after next year Seguin, Lucic, Marchand, Horton, Ference, and TT are up for new contracts. Something has to give.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Must keep
    Rask

Probably keep (if at same price)
    Kelly Campbell

Depends on who else is available
    Pouliot  Zanon Paille

Under rated
    Motteau

Gone for sure
    Corvo

Gone unless he takes a $4 million paycut
    Rolston

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Good post BadHab. One question. Rask is an RFA. What if some dumba** GM (ahem...Burke...cough) decides to tender an offer sheet for him. What price do you think is acceptable?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Re: Expiring Contract: Who Stays?:
    Good post BadHab. One question. Rask is an RFA. What if some dumba** GM (ahem...Burke...cough) decides to tender an offer sheet for him. What price do you think is acceptable?
    Posted by jmwalters

Yikes.  Burke?  5 mil a year?  And with Rask they might even make the playoffs with a shell shocked Rask - and not return one of those really nice picks.

I don't want to think about this...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSXIII. Show BSXIII's posts

I'd like to see Kelly back, but I have a feeling some team will overpay.  I'd love to see them get a king's ransom for Rask, but not sure that's feasible.

I like Motteau as a cheap depth guy.  Offer Paille a 15% raise.  Same for Poulliout if Paille doesn't except.

Corvo and Zanon were disappointments, let them walk.

Unsure on Campbell.  Didn't really notice him this year, not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In Response to Re: Expiring Contract: Who Stays? : Yikes.  Burke?  5 mil a year?  And with Rask they might even make the playoffs with a shell shocked Rask - and not return one of those really nice picks. I don't want to think about this...
    Posted by BadHabitude

Tough choice to be sure but a relevent one to consider. There are many teams out there looking for a 1A goalie and Rask fits the bill. The cap makes all things tricky as you well know.

My opinion, keep him at all costs, let him run with being the main guy and have Howson or Burke have TT for a pick and/or prospect. I like Thomas but he is not getting any younger. How long until he is the next Roloson? Considering the next crop of youngsters coming up (Hamilton, Krug, Knight, and Spooner) I say it is a good time to go with it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

How good would we be if Pouliot - Kelly - Rolston was our 4th line!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Is that possible BFJ?

http://nhlnumbers.com/teams/BOS?year=2012

Not likely anyone (Rolston excepted) will take a paycut to stay. Cap trumps all. No one can survive a $3 million 4rth line center.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tremha. Show tremha's posts

Kelly will get offers and will most likely price himself out of Boston which is too bad - i would like to see him stay.  Quality 3'rd line player.

Campbell is a serviceable player and there is a role for him.  He, Thorton, and Macdermaid would be a good energy line.

So long to Corvo, Rolston, and lots of chances but stone hands Paille.

Didnt see much of Motteau but he could be a good 7 guy.  Not sure about Zanon but price could be too high for what he is.  Also depends on the status of Hamilton for next year.  he and lone wolf could be an interesting pairing.  I initially thought he wouldn't be ready for next year but he could surprise. 

Pouliot is an enigma.  will show top level talent and score an incredible goal but will then take a stupid penalty or make a dumb play.  obvisouly low on the "hockey sense" meter. 

Assuming they could get value in return, I would trade Thomas.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

Posted by jmwalters

Tuukka Rask will not receive an offer sheet, period!  What team will give up what is required for a goalie who was the goalie of record in one of the biggest collapses in NHL history, has been injured in each of the last 2 seasons(both being lower body injuries for a butterfly goalie), and has yet to prove that he can shoulder the load of the #1 job.  I would be so excited if a GM extended an offer sheet, but none will.

$4,701,131 -- $6,268,175: First, second and third-round pick

$6,268,175 -- $7,835,219: Two first-round picks, a second and third

$7,835,219 and higher: Four first-round picks

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

In Response to Expiring Contract: Who Stays?:
    Pouliot, Kelly, Paille, Campbell, Rolston, Zanon, Motteau, Corvo, and Rask. Who is worth keeping?
    Posted by jmwalters

Pouliot stays because he is restricted and PC has a very good replacement for Ryder on a cheap 3 yr contract. PC has handled RFAs so efficiently I am surprised so many believe that Pouliot will get away.  I thought he improved all season and still has very solid upside.

Campbell stays on a 1-year deal appropriate for a good 4th line center.

Rolston and Zanon could get low ball offers for depth and competition.  If Zanon says no maybe you consider lowballing Mottau or Corvo.

Rask is here for the long haul.

It will only hurt losing Kelly, but he will get a bad contract IMO.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Thanks MeanE, I knew it would be easy to sign Rask to an offer sheet but that confirms the difficulty for other teams.  

Sign Kelly, especially if Horton is not able to play next year, cause Krejci becomes expendable.  Campbell will be offered a increase elsewhere enough to deter Boston from signing him.  New faces needed, I like Campbell's role and game.  Pouliot will sign elsewhere, unless CJ can convince him that one more year in Boston would help him realize his 1st round drafting from Minnesota.  Zannon seemed to be in the wrong place several times in the playoffs.  Rolston is a goner!  Corvo's playoff work was fine, enough to equallze his regular season, not in my book.  Motteau, not much risk and possible good return.  Paille stays if Pouliot flies.  Time to let the youth rise up, Boston will need to look hard and fast at trades without Horton.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

In Response to Expiring Contract: Who Stays?:
    Pouliot, Kelly, Paille, Campbell, Rolston, Zanon, Motteau, Corvo, and Rask. Who is worth keeping?
    Posted by jmwalters

Pouliot = Yes
    Kelly = How much is a 3rd line center worth?  Other options?  Free Agent - Gaustad, will hbe be cheaper? A kid - Spooner or Camper? USe cap space on Parise as #1 Krejci #2 Bergeron #3?
    Paille = No, 1 of the young kids will fill his role (Caron, MacDermid, Knight, etc...)
    Campbell = No, I would sign Zenon Kenopka instead (does essentially what Soupy does only better face off, penalty killer , fighter and energy!)
    Rolston = No, He will retire
    Zanon or Motteau = One of them, Yes at cheep $ for insurance
    Corvo = No, Dougie Hamilton takes his slot
    Rask = No, I am not a Tuukka fan.  I would rather the B's shop him and get a top 6 forward, get a serviceable back up, ride TT for 1 more year, and go after Quick when LA fails to sign him.(wishful thinking)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbg1. Show dbg1's posts

Something else to throw into the equation....Thomas.  As much as everyone loves TT, it is bad business to keep him.  He is in the last year of his contract and is more valuable (trade wise) now than he will be next year.  (trade him now and get something in return vs. no ability to trade him next year)  Moreover, you have to figure that after next season, he will hit the FA market and won't come back to Boston anyway.

Therefore, you will clear his $5m off the books and will need a #1 and #2.  Rask is naturally #1; and Khudobin #2?   Naturally you would not pay Rask $5m that TT will get, so that will clear a few $M from the books. 

My guess is that Rolston will be back for a 1 year for small money.  Other than that, Corvo is gone for sure..everyone else will depend on what kind of talent we get for TT.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

Who I believe will be back
    Campbell, Paille, Pouliot, Rask

Gone
    Rolston, Corvo, Zanon, Motteau,

Dunno
    Kelly - depends on price, but think he's leaving

Lines for next year
    Marchand - Bergeron - Seguin
    Lucic - Krejic - Horton
    Pouliot - Peverley - Caron
    Paille - Campbell - Thornton

Chara - Hamilton
    Seids - McQuaid
    Boychuk - Ference

Thomas
    Rask

Give me the same squad but healthy and well rested, and I think they'll make a deep run next year. Would love to see Spooner, Knight or KoKo make the team but haven't seen them play enough to make that assumption. Also don't know where they'd fit in.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beorach. Show Beorach's posts

Kelly and Rask need to stay for me.  I love how Paille plays but it depends on what he costs...  The rest of the guys I've got little to nothing against and some I even have sentiment for but they're largely expendable.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Babajingo. Show Babajingo's posts

Kelly and Rask.  

I liked Poulliot. good third liner if we could get him cheap.

Another question is who can come up and contribute next year.  To alleviate the loss of some of these guys.

Caron is one.  Anyone else?  Dougie possibly?

I'd like to see them make a run at hejduk. to put on the third line.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

http://www.capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=5

The summer of 2013 is more important than this summer with Horton, Seguin, Marchand, Lucic, Caron and Ference all needing contracts that summer. Chiarelli offered extensions to Kelly, Campbell, Paille and Thornton only #22 accepted.

All players are going to test the free agent market. Kelly and Campbell are going to get paid so they will be priced out of Boston. Paille and Zanon should be kept but neither should get pay raises so those two are iffy.

I don't know how many times it has to be repeated Chiarelli and Neely have said publicly (it was during the last town hall meeting this past winter) that "Rask isn't going anywhere!". There wasn't enough speed and skill on the 3rd line, too many grinders. This should be solved with 2 of the following KoKo, Knight, Spooner or Rico Sauve.

Rolston and P00 P00 filled in admirably but need to be replaced with more youthful speed and skill because that is the only way to beat the 1-3-1 or 1-4  trap that Hunter and Boucher have brought back.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruins6. Show Bruins6's posts

http://www.capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=5 The summer of 2013 is more important than this summer with Horton, Seguin, Marchand, Lucic, Caron and Ference all needing contracts that summer. Chiarelli offered extensions to Kelly, Campbell, Paille and Thornton only #22 accepted. All players are going to test the free agent market. Kelly and Campbell are going to get paid so they will be priced out of Boston. Paille and Zanon should be kept but neither should get pay raises so those two are iffy. I don't know how many times it has to be repeated Chiarelli and Neely have said publicly (it was during the last town hall meeting this past winter) that "Rask isn't going anywhere!". There wasn't enough speed and skill on the 3rd line, too many grinders. This should be solved with 2 of the following KoKo, Knight, Spooner or Rico Sauve. Rolston and P00 P00 filled in admirably but need to be replaced with more youthful speed and skill because that is the only way to beat the 1-3-1 or 1-4  trap that Hunter and Boucher have brought back.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

I agree 100% in that PC will always have to keep in mind that Seguin wil be cashing in sooner than later. I would try and convince Rask to take less next year 2.5-3  million and then up the amount for the remainder when Timmy is gone. I guess Peverley could center the third line next year but would imagine Spooner and Knight stay in Providence for most of the year. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Other than Rask, none of these guys are untouchable and it'll be interesting to see if PC dumps them all and goes after a big fish.

Sections
Shortcuts